PDA

View Full Version : Giving the poor Makedonians their fleet back

phonicsmonkey
07-23-2008, 10:15
hi all,

I'm trying to give the Makedonians a ship using the console - I sank their last one and I realised I preferred it when they had one...and seeing as they don't seem to be inclined to build a new one I thought "why not gift them one, and the money for upkeep?"

create_unit Mytilene, "generic ship penteconterai" is not working for me however - the console gives me the message "cannot add ship to unit or garrison".

is there a trick to this or is it simply not possible to add fleets using the console?

QuintusSertorius
07-23-2008, 10:44
I doubt it's possible to add them without there being an existing fleet to which you add some ships. You certainly can't spawn them in settlements as you would do army units.

bovi
07-23-2008, 12:16
I thought a senate mission in vanilla gave ships as reward? Perhaps you can find out how to spawn them from that?

phonicsmonkey
07-24-2008, 02:36
well, I looked at the descr_senate.txt file, which seems to hold the details of senate missions, and it only seems to show monetary rewards, not rewards of units

which is strange because I too thought I remembered getting troops as a reward from the senate in vanilla (although I don't recall getting ships, it was so long ago)

does anyone here know whether there is some scripting in another file somewhere that relates to senate rewards for missions, and might contain some lines which would show me how to add a ship to a port?

or any other way of spawning a ship in an AI-controlled port?

maybe I'll just have to add a house rule that I can't wipe out AI-controlled fleets - but it's hard if they keep blockading my ports to run them off without sinking them..

Celtic_Punk
07-24-2008, 10:36
you do get ships they say "we will reward ytou with 2 of the best units you can recruit" and they give you like quinteremines or w/e

Reno Melitensis
07-24-2008, 10:52
If you manage to give them ships, post how you don it please. In my campaign the Macedons are struck on Mytilene with 2 full stalks, while the Hellenes rampage through Greece.

Cheers.

QuintusSertorius
07-24-2008, 12:27
If you manage to give them ships, post how you don it please. In my campaign the Macedons are struck on Mytilene with 2 full stalks, while the Hellenes rampage through Greece.

Cheers.

So move them with move_character.

Reno Melitensis
07-24-2008, 20:36
So move them with move_character.

Sorry if I ask you Quintus, but how is this done, never tried it before.

Cheers.

Constantius III
07-24-2008, 21:02
Sorry if I ask you Quintus, but how is this done, never tried it before.

Cheers.
Open up the RomeShell and use the command [ move_character "First Last" x,y ] where x and y are the coordinates of the tile you want to send the stack to. You can find that with the command [ show_cursorstat ], which will return the coordinates of the tile your cursor is currently on. Omit the brackets when typing in these commands. When dealing with a captain, the first name is "Captain". Characters with three names may need to have the middle and last names combined like this: "Middlelast" (make sure the last name is not capitalized - I'm pretty sure the shell is case-sensitive), or they may need to have the last name omitted (if it's a title of some kind, I think...not quite sure how to tell sometimes). You might need to try it a few times with those.

Reno Melitensis
07-24-2008, 21:29
Ok thanks Constantius III, I will try it for the first time.

Cheers.

Constantius III
07-24-2008, 22:39
Constantius III are you talking about the Rome LNT file in the sp game edu backup.? If so with what do I open this file.

Cheers.
No, you do it in the game itself. On most American keyboards one uses the ~ key to open up the shell, but I'm not sure what it would be on a Spanish one. Whatever's above "Tab", probably.

phonicsmonkey
07-25-2008, 01:47
I'm going to try to do this via the script, by spawning a fleet at the beginning of the Mak turn.

If it works I'll post back here with the script I used..

Reno Melitensis
07-25-2008, 07:32
No, you do it in the game itself. On most American keyboards one uses the ~ key to open up the shell, but I'm not sure what it would be on a Spanish one. Whatever's above "Tab", probably.
Thanks for the tip Const. but at first I forgot what the RomeShell was. You know, after playing RTW for about 5 years now, I am still allien to many of its functions.

Cheers.

phonicsmonkey
07-28-2008, 09:56
ok this didn't work, but it might be due to my poor scripting abilities

what I did was add the following at the end of the EB/Data/scripts/EBBS_SCRIPT.TXT file before the last line which says 'end_script'

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;Giving the poor Makedonians their fleet back;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

spawn_army
faction macedon
character Bolon, admiral, command 2, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, x 150, y 123
unit generic ship penteconterai, hellenistic_infantry_pantodapoi_illyrian, 13, 0, 1
end

Then I loaded my game, activated the script and hit end turn, hoping to see the fleet pop up when the AI turn cycle was ended. Of course it didn't..

Can anyone see any obvious errors in that script or my method which would stop this from working?