PDA

View Full Version : accurate celtic army compostion?

fenix3279
08-10-2008, 10:53
I'm starting a new Arverni campaign but I plan to play as historically accurate as possible so there won't be any blitzing or creating elite armies. I'll only be able to field 4 historically accurate armies at any given time.

What would the troop composition be like for the celtic factions?

Titus Marcellus Scato
08-10-2008, 12:44
The Celts didn't have permanently organised standing armies - just a lot of tribesmen lumped together into one huge mass.

Armament of the warriors in each tribe was more or less down to whatever their local chief could afford to provide.

Personally, I feel that the most historically accurate way to represent a Celtic army is to follow the principle: "Variety is the spice of life."

This means having as many different kinds of unit in a Celtic stack as possible - in very small stacks of 5 or less units, every unit should be unique. Thus every unit can represent a different tribe. Even in large stacks of 20 I would suggest having no more than 3 or 4 of a single type of unit if possible. Always have a general if you can.

Although factions like the Aedui and Arverni are indeed tribes, in reality they would be divided into lots of seperate settlements (villages), like sub-tribes, all with their own local chief or king. The leader of the Aedui would be the 'High King' and have many lesser kings and chiefs subordinate to him.

So even within a large ethnic group like the Aedui you can have many different-looking units. Some better than others.

QuintusSertorius
08-10-2008, 13:55
I always say you should have an Elite/Warrior/Levy split, of something like 3/7/10 for a full stack. Elites are heavy cavalry and elite infantry (including the general and any FMs). Warriors are the more professional fighters, like Neitos, Keltohellenikoi, Milnaht and so on. Also including light cavalry. Levy are your Gaeroas/Gaelaiche, Sotaroas, Iaosatae, and other relatively light, unarmoured infantry to fill out the stack.

Moros
08-10-2008, 18:41
I always say you should have an Elite/Warrior/Levy split, of something like 3/7/10 for a full stack. Elites are heavy cavalry and elite infantry (including the general and any FMs). Warriors are the more professional fighters, like Neitos, Keltohellenikoi, Milnaht and so on. Also including light cavalry. Levy are your Gaeroas/Gaelaiche, Sotaroas, Iaosatae, and other relatively light, unarmoured infantry to fill out the stack.

Seems about right, if you ask me.:yes:

satalexton
08-10-2008, 19:40
=/ i usually just throw whatever there is nearby together into a stack, and go straight at the nearest enemy...WAAAGHHHH!!!

fenix3279
08-10-2008, 19:54
=/ i usually just throw whatever there is nearby together into a stack, and go straight at the nearest enemy...WAAAGHHHH!!!
Oddly enough, that's probably the most historically accurate way of playing as the celts. I think I'll try all of your ideas. I like the 3/7/10 split because that's seems the best way to keep a balanced army. I also like the idea of recruiting varied units to better represent them as a single tribe in a land of many. Great ideas. Thanks alot guys :2thumbsup:

satalexton
08-10-2008, 20:17
just use my method wholesale, u gotta throw away the whole 'civillized set-piece' concept to the bin.

Bunch the men with pointy things in the centre, give them a champion or 2 for encouragement. men with sharpish things on teh sides, and those that throw stuff behind them. Group all of them together, other than the rangers, and right click on the rear-most unit of the enemy. (remember to scream your warcry of choice). Depending on the strength of the enemy, u may want to shorten your line for a 2nd layer to give the charge extra mass.

Believe me, my battles with romans rarely last more than a minute, usually their centre just rout in a matter of seconds after being swarmed from 3 sides, triarii and all...then it's a matter of chasing the routers and locally overwheming the scattered units one by one.

Pikes are a little more tricky, end a turn with your mob hiding amongst the trees where u know they'll come past.....

I'm playing an aedui campaign atm and i'm in the process of steamrolling the balkans (mass galatian invasion!!!), finishing off the sweboz, and grabbing Ibera piece by piece. I don't have any stacks, just lots of units in fringe settlements which i gather into a mob when pushing into the next settlement. The only thing that resembles an 'army' are my FMs that i use for attacks, typically with a few units of various cavalry in tow...

To make it simple: NO armies, just maintain a heavier garrison in your settlements. Attach a FM if you have one to spare, or just win enough battles with you captain till he becomes one >_>