PDA

View Full Version : Diplomatic AI wonder

snorky
08-13-2008, 12:53
For the first time i was actually completely taken by surprise by a brilliant diplomatic move from the AI.
I will explain, i was playing with Spain in mt2 vanilla, having just embarked on a crusade for Antioch.
Once arrived around a thousand of my soldiers captured the city from rebel hands.
Soon after the army split up, one marching east to Edessa the other north west to Adana.
Once Edessa was captured i gifted it to my greatest ally, Portugal with whom i had trade, military access and good relations.
Thus i hoped to great a mighty comrade in arms at the front line.
Meanwhile Adana was also captured thus creating a solid defence in the north of the holy kingdom.
Then i ordered half of the crusading army to expand south to Jerusalem which was in the hands of Egypt.

But then something happened which i had not forseen, my army was parked outside of Jerusalem i was about to declare war the next turn but then suddenly Egypt made an Alliance with Portugal,
they made an alliance with the only ally i could not risk losing over Territorial expansion,
so i was forced to withdraw my army from the Jerusalem region.
i Decided to join my Portuguese Ally's and form an alliance with Egypt myself as well, sins i could not fight them.

Being kind of pissed of because i was outsmarted by the AI with diplomacy not arms.
I decide to fight the Turks instead but as if Egypt read my mind they also made an alliance
with the Turks thus surrounding me with friends and forcing my massive expensive army to sit in a camp creating a lasting peace in the holy land. This made me feel kind of low with
my expainsion drift while Egypt actually managed to preserve peace which might even last until the Timurid's arrive.

The Egyptians probably did not intend this and was just doing some random AI behavior but it looked damn cool.

FactionHeir
08-13-2008, 13:14
The AI will always try to find someone to ally with against you if outnumbered ~:)

Unless you build a fort and man it well in several Portuguese regions, its unlikely they would keep their alliance with you if you went to war with Egypt btw.

Marauder
08-13-2008, 20:21
My advice in this situation is either a) take your army out of the area and conquer elsewhere, or b) Attack them all. I'm heavily favoring the second one since taking the Iberian peninsula is crucial to establishing your Spanish empire. Since you just won the Crusade, you have a powerful general near Antioch with experienced units, so you could probably take it back from Portugal with ease. As for Portugal's home turf, you should be able to muster two armies to take that. I recommend taking it all in the same turn so the Pope doesn't stop you before you can finish them off. Nothing's worse than a papal timeout making you go sit in the corner and think about what you did.

The New Che Guevara
08-14-2008, 00:30
Nothing's worse than a papal timeout making you go sit in the corner and think about what you did.

Playing as Milan... I was told to stop picking on the french when they got to one province. Then Spain attacked me, I rounded them into Leon... Had an army ready to siege wih ballistas when the pope says stop it! I wait the 7 turns, and attack portugal meanwhile... after the seven turns I just removed spain and got excommunicated. I only abided by his rules...

Sheogorath
08-14-2008, 00:53
Pretty good, considering the AI's usual diplomatic 'skills' ;)

https://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2543/medievalcrushergv3.th.png (https://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=medievalcrushergv3.png)