PDA

View Full Version : Query - How can I get non-family generals?

Mikhal
08-13-2008, 12:58
When you start a new campaign you seem to have a few generals who are not family members, is there any way to get more of them?

Is it possible take adopted/man-of-the-hour generals and make them regular by removing them from the family tree through the console or some modding?

FactionHeir
08-13-2008, 13:12
Hiya,

You can't get those normal generals unless you bribe enemy family members outside of modding.

I believe you can make adoptions not appear on the family by modding descr_campaign_db_xml.

Mikhal
08-13-2008, 13:39
Do you know if that affects the actual family-status of them? As in will the tool tip still say "Imperial family Member" or will it go "Imperial General?"

My main concern right now is that I adopted some random peasant leader and it now seems that he's the eldest son of my heir, and it would be kinda wrong if he was to be crowned Holy Roman Emperor one day for his glorious achievement of defeating a unit of rebel peasants by firing at them from a hilltop with 120 archers.

Enron
08-13-2008, 14:43
Do you know if that affects the actual family-status of them? As in will the tool tip still say "Imperial family Member" or will it go "Imperial General?"

My main concern right now is that I adopted some random peasant leader and it now seems that he's the eldest son of my heir, and it would be kinda wrong if he was to be crowned Holy Roman Emperor one day for his glorious achievement of defeating a unit of rebel peasants by firing at them from a hilltop with 120 archers.

goes to show that medieval lords practiced Jus Primae Noctis. therefore the peasant could have been an heir just not from the queen.:oops:

Forumviewer
08-14-2008, 03:57
:daisy:

Kaidonni
08-14-2008, 09:59
It is possible to make Generals recruitable. That would probably be your preferred way. You'd have to mod the expor_descr_buildings.txt (EDB) so that the unit your faction's generals used was recruitable. I don't have M2TW installed at the moment, so I can't help you heaps on the correct tags to use, but if you check out your expor_descr_unit.txt (EDU), you should be able to find the bodyguard units and the reference they use in the EDB file. Something like Northern_Bodyguard, etc. Probably best to use the 'Find' option (don't match case or anything, perhaps just try 'Northern' as your search, or 'Southern,' etc - or 'Bodyguard'). Sorry I can't be of more help.

Galain_Ironhide
08-14-2008, 10:10
It is possible to make Generals recruitable. That would probably be your preferred way. You'd have to mod the expor_descr_buildings.txt (EDB) so that the unit your faction's generals used was recruitable. I don't have M2TW installed at the moment, so I can't help you heaps on the correct tags to use, but if you check out your expor_descr_unit.txt (EDU), you should be able to find the bodyguard units and the reference they use in the EDB file. Something like Northern_Bodyguard, etc. Probably best to use the 'Find' option (don't match case or anything, perhaps just try 'Northern' as your search, or 'Southern,' etc - or 'Bodyguard'). Sorry I can't be of more help.

I know in the Lands to Conquer mod, Lusted had made it so you can recruit Generals at castles.

Perhaps the great man himself, Mr Lusted, can answer that for you. That is if he is around of course, you could even try sending him a pm.

Sheogorath
08-14-2008, 17:39
Its definitely possible. William Wallace in the Britannia campaign is a non-family general. I only noticed 'cause he got Man-of-the-Hour'd into the family.

Mikhal
08-14-2008, 17:46
Alright, I found a thread where some guy did exactly what you said to enable the recruitment of generals, but it seems that he ran into some trouble with not being able to upgrade/retrain bodyguards units after modding. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=99945

If I get the same trouble I will just try to find out how they did it in the Lands to Conquer mod. I think I'll rather have Councillor Chambers (or better) as the building required for recruiting nobles for general/governor positions.

btw, is it possible to order ballistae or crossbows to fire at a spot on the ground so that I can get rid of certain family members?

Galain_Ironhide
08-14-2008, 23:09
Just send your general unit and say a catapault out to fight some rebel/brigands. Then send your general out to the direction of those rebels and get him to play catch with the boys. Thats if he doesnt already get killed from being out numbered 500 to 20. :clown:

absinthia
08-16-2008, 10:39
editing expor_descr_buildings.txt and expor_descr_unit.txt would only make the bodyguard unit recrutable, would it not? the actual general would not be among them.

FactionHeir
08-16-2008, 11:23
The general would be part of the unit. We did that for our PBM games ~:)