PDA

View Full Version : WotB The Royal Council

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ibn-Khaldun
09-09-2008, 18:43
The Royal Council

Some magistrates are entering to the Council Hall and one of them steps forward and starts to speak..

"Strategoi of Arche Seleukeia! Welcome to the Royal Council. I must first start off by paying proper homage to the Basileus Antiochos Syriakos. May he live a long and prosperous life! Let no Strategos forget that we are assembled here to serve his will and aid him in the governance of Arche Seleukeia!"

"Now, since some of you are newly risen to the rank of Strategos, let me remind you of the basic rules of this Council. First, Edicts and Amendments can only be proposed while the Royal Council is in session. You can conduct business in here whenever you wish, but legislation itself is restricted to formal sessions. I will notify you when sessions begin and end and my word on the matter is final!"

"Second, do not bother proposing legislation that you are not qualified to propose. To prevent us from being paralyzed by pointless paperwork, our wise ancestors have previously decreed that various amounts of seniority of rank are required to propose certain numbers of Edicts and Amendments. Any Senator who exceeds his allocated quota will have his excess submissions stricken from the record, regardless of their nature!"

"Third, with few exceptions, all legislation must be seconded by two
Strategoi before it can be put to the vote. Do not come whining to me if your prized Edict does not end up on the ballot because you were too lazy to gather supporters before you proposed it!"

"Fourth, make sure your legislation is formulated in the proper manner! It is hard enough to keep track of the mass of paperwork that goes on in this building. For our own sanity, please format your legislation in the following manner: Edict/Amendment X.Z: Text of Edict/Amendment. (X = Number of the Senate session, Z = Number of the Edict/Amendment within the Senate session.) For example, the third Edict proposed at the fourth Senate session would look like this: Edict 4.3: All Strategoi will drink bear instead of wine. The numbers of all Edicts and Amendment proposed during an Emergency Session will be the same, but with an E preceding the numbering (i.e. Edict E4.3).

"Finally, violence will not be permitted in the Royal Council! Limit your attacks to verbal sparring only! Any Strategos bringing a weapon into the building, or raising his fist to a fellow Strategos, will be forcibly removed by the guards. We are not barbarians!"

Ibn-Khaldun
09-09-2008, 19:18
Basileus Antiochos Syriakos stands and says..

"I am glad to see all of you here! Our Empire is in troubles so you have been summoned to give advice and to lead our glorious armies to victory against our enemies! So without further delay..

I declare the First Council Session open! It will stay open for debate and legislation until 6 pm EST on Friday, September 12th, at which point there will be 48 hours alloted for voting."

Antiochos smiles and continues...

"Now.. Before you propose your laws I have to say the following..

I use my power and declare myself as the new Chancellor. I have reasons for that since none of you have the required rank to become Chancellor.

Secondly, I create three Satrapies. First one in Persepolis, second one in Ipsos, third in Hekatompylos. Who will become a Satrap will be revealed later during this Council Session.

Thirdly, I will move the capital from Antioch to Seleukeia where I reside at the moment.

Fourth, I propose the following Edict:

Edict 1.1: "Following Regular Armies shall be created: 1rst Syrian Army(in Antiocheia), 1rst Lydian Army(in Sardis), 1rst Parthian Army(in Hekatompylos)"

So.. what are your thoughts?

Antiochos sits back on his throne..

kingsnake
09-09-2008, 19:58
There was 5 second interval. Then Aratos spoke:
"Greetings!"

He hesitated, then rose.

"Greetings, Great Basileus and fellow Strategoi! I am Aratos Arathousas Syriakes, I praise this reform it will prove to be a wise decision... But I and many others here, I'm sure, were caught unsuspecting, and haven't prepared any Edict or Amendment for this Council.

Propositions may surge in the following days when the Strategoi have reflected, so I will ask some questions about the state of Arche Seleukeia, I do receive very few news from our eastern territories... If you don't mind please update your fellow patriots, Basileus, about the situation on the Baktrian territories, the nomadic threat and our current diplomatic relations with the western peoples.
Also how will the Basileus choose the rulers of each Satrap?

Thank you."

Aratos sat down and scratched his beard.

Warmaster Horus
09-09-2008, 20:03
One of the Magistrates, an official who liaises with the Library officials, speaks up:
"Strategoi, I believe this is partly the fault of the Library. It had fallen into disuse, and much like you men of the Council, was caught unawares. The Library will require a couple of days to get all the relevant information in.

I can however mention the fact that we are at war with the Ptolemaic dynasty, and their allies the Greeks of Sparte, Athenai and Rhodos. For information on our country, some scrolls mention our financial, military, production, population situations. It is a place to start looking for information."

Hax
09-09-2008, 20:08
Andromachos Syriakos rises and looks at the King

"Hail, brother-in-law, and hail, fellow councillors. I would like to stress the point that at this moment, Lydia and the rest of Mikra Asia are no real threat to us and neither is the so-called Kingdom of Pontos. However, the Arsacid incursions to our north are a problem indeed. Our next main problem are the Ptolemaioi in Aigyptos. Securing their holdings in Mikra Asia and the Sinaï will boost our economy as well as it will give us a chokehold between the lands of Aigyptos and Asia.

Furthermore, to deal with this Arsacid threat from the north, I request that I will be granted the position of satrap of Persepolis and the rest of the eastern provinces. Most of our trade stems from the far Indos of Sandrokottos and even farther to the lands yet unknown to us. If I was to be made satrap, I could control the trade and root out things as corruption. Do not forget that our armies have to be paid by gold, and the east is rich in gold."

Andromachos clears his throat and is seated again.

The Celtic Viking
09-09-2008, 20:54
Sarpedon Syriakos rises from his seat.

Aye, barbarians are forming in the north, but the main threat is, as it ever has been since Megas Alexandros' death, Ptolemaios in the south with his Aigyptian hordes. If we are to keep our mighty empire for ourselves, we need to act against them quickly, and with force. I second Andromachos' proposal to make for Sardis, and propose that this should be the task given to the 1st Syrian Army, and whomever may get the honour to command it.

But lets not forget that Ptolemaios and the barbarians to the north aren't the only threats to us. Pontos is growing ever stronger, and though they don't threaten us yet, only a fool would stand idling by. However, I do not propose that we should move against them yet, but are not Pamphyria and Kilikia still under Ptolemaic control? It is for that reason that I, Sarpedon Syriakos, propose that I should be given control over the 1st Lydian Army, and with it take control over these territories in the Great Basileus' name. It would not do to risk having two fronts in Mikro Asia alone, especially not when we already face that problem with Ptolemaios and the barbarians to the north.

Sarpedon sits down while Hilarion, who had been sitting next to him during his speech, whispers something in his ear.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-09-2008, 21:02
Antiochos says to the Magistrate quietly..

I apologize to open this Council Session so early. If you and others need some time to get the Library up to date then I can extend this current Session.

Turning towards Andromachos...

I will think about you becoming Satrap of Persepolis. Since your management skills are known then this could most likely to happen.

OOC: Andromachos have 2 Management points. According to the rules he can have 1 additional province in his Satrapy. If he will have one. :tongue:

I had a plan where our Lydian Army from one side and our Syrian from the other side will attack the Ptolemaic holdings in Mikra Asia and conquering them. Me myself, with my Royal Army, will come from Seleukeia to Syria to defend our borders while our 2 Regular Armies are taking care of the Ptolemaic threat in Mikra Asia.

In the same time our 1rst Parthian Army will try to hold our eastern provinces until we can send there more men.

And perhaps then we can go south and take care of the rest of Ptolemaic settlements like you suggested.

Turning to Attalos..

How will I choose the rulers for each Satrapy? Simple. You have to be near the capital of the Satrap and have some Influence or Management skills.

And what are our relations to our neighbors? Bad would be kind word. Pahlava will attack us soon I'm sure. Baktria declared itself independent and broke Alliance with us. We are at war with Saka Rauka. Hayasdan broke the Alliance as well. We are at war with the Greeks just like Magistrate told you..

Antiochos nods towards the Magistrate and smiles..

Our eastern settlements are rioting. More than 600 people have died. Buildings have been destroyed or damaged. This is most likely the work of Baktria and Pahlava.

So anymore questions?

Warmaster Horus
09-09-2008, 21:08
The Magistrate hurriedly says:
"No problem whatsoever my Lord. We act by your Will. OOC: this is the Will of the Basileus, after all.
I'll just tell the Librarians to redouble their efforts."
And mutters under his breath:
"Tell them to start working, rather..."

Hax
09-09-2008, 21:12
Andromachos rises once again and bows before Antiochos

"Thank you, my lord. Furthermore, I propose the following edict:"

Edict 1.2: "Send envoys to the steppe nomads of the Sakae tribes, to propose a complete cease-fire."

"We could learn from these men, friends. Even though they are indeed barbaroi, they know the way how the Arshkanig fight. We can defeat the poorly-armed levies of the eastern settlements, but these steppe-nomads may bring new ways of fighting that we need to learn to adapt to."

Ibn-Khaldun
09-09-2008, 21:22
You are right and thus I second Edict 1.2

We can not fight against everyone in the east.

LordofUmbar
09-09-2008, 21:27
Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes stands up to address the assembly:

Great Basileus, I salute you.

Our great nation is faced with war on many fronts. And considering the danger the Ptolemaios present, I would expect that that theater would need much attention. However, the eastern front cannot be abandoned. We cannot let thousands die before nomads and treacherous Baktrians. I have live for many years on our northeastern border and have seen many a good soldier die for the Basileus.

Considering my long dealings with the east and knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses, I ask that I be given the Satrapy of Hekatomylos so that I may better serve you with my knowledge.

Irregardless of whether I receive this post, I would suggest that I be given command of the 1st Parthian army as I am situated on the border with the treacherous Pahlava.

I also agree that we cannot fight all our enemies in the east at once so I also second Edict 1.2.

Sits down

MerlinusCDXX
09-09-2008, 21:47
*Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes rises and bows to the Basileus, and turns to address the assembly*

Chairete, Basileus, Sympatriotai,
I was not aware that the world has so decisively cast its fate against our destiny in the east and north, though I did realize that there were stirrings of discontent among the Hai. As some may know, I do have a bit of familiarity with Skythian ways, and suggest that, against the latest crop of nomads, we must "fight wind with wind" so to speak. In the Hai mountain passes to our north, there are men barely off the steppes themselves, that still fight in the manner of the Skythoi and other steppe nomads. In agreement with Andromachos, I suggest we figure out a way to use these men to the effect of adapting to the steppe ways of warfare. To that effect, I also second Edict 1.2 and propose

Edict 1.3- That whatever part of the 1st Persian and/or 1st Syrian armies that can be spared from their primary mission move to annex the town of Phraspaa in Atropatene to deny the Arshkanig access to their Hai lapdogs, to prevent a combined assault on our northern border.

I believe some of the steppe men can be found as far south as Atropatene (OOC:Adurbadegan in-game), should we decide to use their services.

I would be willing to be posted with this army, perhaps in command, should those assembled here pass this proposal. I, of course, remain at the command of the Basileus, to fight wherever I can be of service to the Arkhe.

kingsnake
09-09-2008, 21:49
Aratos rises.

"No questions here my lord. I agree in seizing the egyptian Mikro Asian holdings, I myself crossed Kilikia on my journey here and met some of our scouts... They report that these lands, that Sarpedon Syriakos mentioned, have lowered their defenses. I fear they are strenghting their syrian armies. A quick strike could do the job with both regular armies, each on one city. Then I propose another quick strike. The 1st Lydian army seizes the independent city of Halikarnassos, and the Syrian Army conquers Kypros in its way back to Syria. All this time the Royal Army defends Syria, and the other regular armies defend their positions.

What will be the timing between Council Sessions? I believe we can decide the next steps on the next Council, no?

Also I think we should improve our relations with Baktria, let them fight and weaken both themselves, the enemy barbarians and even the Indians, if they dare invade them. When we are finished with Mikro Asia - we seize these weakened lands!" he pounds his fist on the stone soundlessly.

"The Aygiptians and the western hellenes are already strong, I don't believe they can get anymore with our constant military and financial pressure and their local wars... So I say after Mikro Asia, includind Pontos, we control the Baktrian and Parthian problem, why not conquer the indians if we have the chance." Aratos' eyes narrowed and his voice grew louder. "Finally Aygiptos and Makedonia can be taken care of!"

He calmed down, laughed and looked around at each Strategos. "I am probably going beyond what we can achieve in our mortal lifes. However we must remember Megas Alexandros, remember is deeds and remember his dream, for it is also this empire's dream and we must prove it, as did Alexandros!"

Silence. Aratos remained standing.

"Finally, Basileus, will each Satrapy be awarded with an army?"

He then sat.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-09-2008, 21:50
Greetings Strategos Bithys!

I'll think about naming you as a Satrap of Hekatompylos. You have some good qualities and you know those steppe people perhaps more than any of us here. So there is a big chance that I will agree with it. But I have to say this. If you become Satrap you can not control Regular Army.

Anyway, I'll name the Satraps before the end of this Council Session.

Turning towards the Magistrate and saying with a smile..

Just don't let your subordinates make any mistakes in it.

LordofUmbar
09-09-2008, 21:54
Stands up, bows

Thanks you my Lord for your consideration.

Sits down

Ibn-Khaldun
09-09-2008, 22:17
Sarpedon, my son.. forgive me not welcoming you here..

Can you forgive your old man and his bad hearing?

But Looks like we share the same views at least..

Antiochos smiles and gives a nod to Sarpedon..

Attalos.. Every Satrap will get his own Army according to the 'Rules'.

These are the Satraps powers in militarily:

(6) Every Satrap will have a 8 unit army similar to Regular Army. Every Satrap should mention what type of army they wish: a) an Infantry army(5 infantry, 2 missile, 1 cavalry regiment); b) a Cavalry army( 2 infantry, 2 missile, 4 cavalry regiments); c) a Mixed army(3 infantry, 3 missile, 2 cavalry regiments). They can however get to recruit 1 local unit for every 2 Influence points and 1 local unit for every 3 Command stars.(The unit type of the additional units can be what ever the Satrap chooses)
(7) Satrap can lead an army of max 16 units unless it is a Royal Army.

Also what Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes proposed sounds a good idea.. perhaps my other son and Heir to the throne can do that.. If he ever gets here..

Antiochos looks nervous..

kingsnake
09-09-2008, 22:18
Aratos rises again.

"I made my decision. The Edict I'm proposing is:

Edict 1.4: After a succesful mission against the Egyptians on Mikro Asia. The 1st Lydian Army is to conquer independent Halikarnassos. Only if the diplomatic relations with the Makedons remain peaceful, if not the army is to retreat and defend Sardis. The Syrian Army will board transportation ships (the cheapest fleets we can build) and invade Kypros. After a succesfull mission they board on the fleet back to Antiocheia."

"Since the sea lenghts between the mainland and island are small the Fleet will be able to remain docked at all times evading any attack.
Finaly, I know of the limits of my power so I cannot propose more edicts... But I think it is wise to poll the council about Edict 1.2, and ask to who we are going to send an envoy... we could also negotiate with Baktria or Pahlava. Personally I believe Baktria is the best choice, they are our fellow hellenes and they are most likely going to expand against Pahlava, Zakaruka - or whatever they're named - and expand south to India and that would just be great for us... I already explained why. We can easily defeat their hellenic strategies, while the nomads will prove difficult to defeat... they are cowards, they use bows and always run from true fight!"

He sat down and leaned backwards...

Incitatus
09-09-2008, 22:28
Alexandros Syriakos rises to address the council

Basileus and fellow strategoi, I extend my greetings. I am much in agreement with what has already been proposed, regarding both immediate military and diplomatic action. I would, however, suggest that the cities of the Levant not go so unnoticed. While the 1st Syrian army is away in Mikra Asia, Antiocheia and Damaskos need to be defended. The Basileus' Royal army would provide an adequate defense, but consider this: If the garrisons in the appropriate cities were raised to be able to handle a small to medium sized Ptolemaic attack, much responsibility would be alleviated from the Royal army - allowing it to assault Sidon or any other appropriate target. This would both consolidate our position and weaken that of our impious enemy.

I am sure you are all aware of the importance of this region, and I would like you all to know that I remain personally committed to seeing it brought within the borders of the Arche.

As I final note, I second Edict 1.4.

Alexandros returns to his seat

johnhughthom
09-09-2008, 23:34
Polyxenidos Lykikos stands confidently to address the gathering

Greeting Basileus, friends.
I feel somewhat out of place here, all this talk of war and armies is beyond me, I am a simple merchant not a warrior, I make my money importing spices from Arabia and exporting, errr... flowers from Babylon. My caravans travel many miles, across desert and the lands of hostile tribes and strange animals. The people I trade with call themselves Sabaean, a strange word I know, and I have found them trustworthy and reliable. Perhaps we could arrange some sort of trade agreement with them, we have to pay for these armies you are talking of somehow. A military alliance may also be beneficial, the Ptolemies will no doubt become interested in this region soon and if we were to make friends there now it could pay off in the future.
So my proposal:Edict 1.5 Send an envoy to agree trade rights and a military alliance with Saba.

Rodrico Stak
09-10-2008, 01:04
Attalos Peragmou Mysiakes stands to speak.

The Sabeans may be only a city-state at the moment, but if they can come to dominate southern Arabia with our help they can provide a vital distraction to our enemies the Ptolemies. Therefore, I second Edict 1.5.

On the same note, anything to weaken the Ptolemies is good for us. Kypros is an island, and will therefore benefit greatly from sea trade. Taking that away from the Ptolemies will certainly hurt them. I second Edict 1.4 as well.

Furthermore, I would like to point out to the Baselius that although I am not in the capital of the Satrapy at Ipsos, I am quite nearby, and am an able administrator, thereby proving an excelent candidate for that satrapy.

OOC: I have 2 management, and only 2 other strategoi (not counting the Baselius) have that much management, and niether is near to Ipsos.

The Celtic Viking
09-10-2008, 01:08
Sarpedon Syriakos rises again.

Thank you, father, all is forgiven. I'm glad that we agree on what should be done. Allow me, however, to... modify my previous proposal. I had overlooked the fact that there is to be a satrapy installed in Ipsos, and it is my firm opinion that this would be best governed by myself. I know I'm still young, but as my father, you know I've got good managerial skills, and I'm a fast learner. I am up for the challenge.

If you still would rather that some older, wiser man - like the highly esteemed Attalos here - should take this post, I would hope that you at least consider me thoroughly as the commander of the 1st Lydian Army, as my original proposal asked.

Before I sit down, I would also like to sound my support for Edict 1:2, Edict 1:4 and Edict 1:5.

As he sits down, Sarpedon bows towards Antiochos, with a smile on his face.

Chaotix
09-10-2008, 02:37
Noble Basileus, I am humbled to stand in your presence this day. I am Theodotas Termessou Pisidikes, a Strategos that was positioned in Sardis until recently.

I would humbly ask that, in the event we choose to strike with it, you allow me to lead the Lydian army for you. If we are going to launch a full assault on the Ptolemaioi, we should at least have good generals commanding our armies. Therefore, in the likely chance you do not deem me worthy of commanding the army, I would ask your permission to accompany the undoubtedly more experienced commander you will choose for the mission.

I will also, in the event that my humble opinion is recognized, second the Edicts 1.1 and 1.4

I thank you for listening to my thoughts on the matter, Megas Basileus.

kingsnake
09-10-2008, 13:19
"My dear friends, I believe an edict only needs to be seconded by a small handfull of people before it goes to votes, so there's no need in seconding every edict you agree on you can express your opinion with your vote, am I correct Basileus?

Also I asked the Basielus before about how he will choose the leader of each Satrapy, he said he will choose the person most qualified, I'm sure he will make the correct choices and that he will consider each one of us. If you don't wish to control a Satrap and our leader chooses you, I'm sure you'll have the chance to reject his offer... it's not necessary to waste our time and ruin the efficient of the Council... with your humble wishes...

The Basileus will do the same when choosing the commanders of each army." and sat down.

Warmaster Horus
09-10-2008, 13:37
Another Magistrate, one who has to do with Edicts, Charter Amendments and voting, stands and declares:
"If I may, Strategos Arethousas Syriakes, I believe you are correct. An Edict needs to be seconded by two persons for it to be properly seconded."

The Celtic Viking
09-10-2008, 13:52
Sarpedon quickly rises.

You are right, of course, that the Basileus will choose his satraps and commanding generals, but I think it might help Him in his decision if he knows who really want the positions. If there are two possible candidates, both being equally merited, but one is burning desire to prove himself worthy of such an honour, while the other one is indifferent, who would you elect? It is my sincere belief that will can trump skill, and there should be no doubt that having the will when also having the skill is better than not. I ask you then: how better to prove to the Basileus who has the will, than to publicly express it to him?

You may think that we're just wasting everyone's time, and perhaps you're right, though I would both think and hope not. If Antiochos Himself shares viewpoint as you, I will of course humbly step down and apologize for it. Until such time that he does, however, I will stand firm in that we have done nothing wrong in expressing our desires. So says I.

Sarpedon quickly bows and then sits down again.

kingsnake
09-10-2008, 14:54
Yes Strategos Sarpedon you are absolutely correct and Basileus surely knows this. He will question the will of the two Strategos when there is such a tie. This I'm sure won't happen since a great majority of us, especially many of the young and promising Strategoi present here do not lack that will. Let's end this discussion and return to more urgent matters.

Then he sat.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-10-2008, 21:24
Antiochos stands up and says..

I have already made my decision. I know who I will propose the chance to become Satrap. Also, if Edict 1.1 passes, then I have men to lead those armies as well. But I'll wait til the time is right for me to announce their names.

He takes his seat again..

Celtic_Punk
09-11-2008, 10:18
A man in a brown blood stained cloak rushes into the council chamber. Everyone looks in confusion and interest at the interruption.

"Basileus! I appologize for my tardiness, I was attacked by bandits along the old persian road on my way from Ipsos. The situation there is not good, sire. Law and order is of a dire concern and we have little way of protecting our port there. Not to mention the threat of an incursion from those bastard Aigyptians."

The young Celt unbelted his sword and handed it to the guard, then walked over to an open seat.
"more over sire, we must deal with the Pontus threat as soon as we can, they can and will grow strong if we ignore them. But this should not over shadow a possible campaign against Ptolemy's holdings in the area. This should be our first priority, we should move as quickly as possible and take out their cities first, uniting the whole southern coast under our control. this will bring pressure off of Antioch. I suggest we divide our forces, lay siege, and wait only one season to attack each city simultaneously. Surprise is vital, do not allow them time to levy forces to counter attack. I also ask that I go with this campaign. Even in my short years I do have experience in the martial arts,"

Cunobelinus removes his ruined cloak, sets it in his lap and looks at it with a frown,

"And I will be of much more use to you commanding battles than wasting away behind a desk. Just like my father was to yours."

Cunobelinus closes his eyes and rubs his stubble

"Oh! And from my friend living along the Attican coast, he informs me that the Spartan Alliance is producing goods but has little place to trade them, I propose we end hostilities with them, and establish trade, we can only profit from it. and battling the Athenian navy will only result in unnecessary casualties, costing us valuable money. Therefore I propose an edict. EDICT uuuum..."

Cunobelinus leans over and whispers into the ear of the man next to him
"EDICT 1.6 To send an ambassador to the Peloponnese and establish peace and trade routes with The Hellenon Koinon.
We should not worry about their alliance with Ptolemy. It is one of necessity not choice. As soon as the Gods permit we should free them from Ptolemy's grip."

MerlinusCDXX
09-11-2008, 11:27
*Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes quickly moves to make room for the celt*

Yes, my Celtic friend, what you say has merit. Living on our northern border, I also mistrust the ambitions of the so-called "Kingdom of Pontos". I distrust autonomous allies of old Persia. Seems to me they have too long of memories, since it wasn't so long ago that Megas Alexandros conquered their empire. These outlying territories also haven't faced Alexandros in battle, could it be that they need to be taught by the force of Seleukid arms? Aren't these Pontos people also allied with the Arshkani and Hai? If so, we should watch them carefully, since we're already at war with one of them.

Interesting news you bring of the Spartan Alliance. My mother's people had some dealings with one of their poleis. One of her many times great grandfathers served as a ship's archer for them. From tales I've heard, they are a generally fair-minded people, and rich to boot. I've heard that they are very good on their boats, so if we could avoid fighting their fleet for now, while there are so many "Kinglets" with ambitions against us, we should try to make that happen. Why don't you propose your edict to the council, and I'll second it so it can see a vote?

Ibn-Khaldun
09-11-2008, 15:27
After talking with some of his assistants and personal retainers Antiochos waves his hand for silence..

I have made my decision. I can not point commanders to the Armies because the Edict have not passed yet. But I can make some of you here Satraps. And I shall do it now..

Sarpedon Syriakos will become the Satrap of Ipsos. Since you are known for your good management skills then I give you additional settlement for your Satrapy. The additional settlement will be Sardis. Defend our holdings well in Mikra Asia well.

Andromachos Syriakos will become the Satrap of Persepolis. He is also known as a good Governor and thus I will give additional settlement to his Satrap as well. The additional settlement will be Karmana. Defend us from any danger from Arabia and India.

With the Satrapy of Hekatompylos I have a problem. Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes was the only one who was interested of that position but I have other plans for him. If my army Edict passes then I would like him to take command over it. I want a loyal and able man to defend Arche from any threat from the steppes.

I would like to give the Satrapy of Hekatompylos to Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes. You are in Karkathiokerta and thus you can make to Hekatompylos faster than anyone else. So Lydikes, what will you say. Will you become the Satrap of Hekatompylos or you have other plans?

I have to also mention that None of the Satraps can not lead Regular Armies and if you accept the 'job' then you must tell me what kind of Army you would like to get. The Army types are brought out in the 'Rule 2.4 and section - Satraps powers'

(6) Every Satrap will have a 8 unit army similar to Regular Army. Every Satrap should mention what type of army they wish: a) an Infantry army(5 infantry, 2 missile, 1 cavalry regiment); b) a Cavalry army( 2 infantry, 2 missile, 4 cavalry regiments); c) a Mixed army(3 infantry, 3 missile, 2 cavalry regiments). They can however get to recruit 1 local unit for every 2 Influence points and 1 local unit for every 3 Command stars.(The unit type of the additional units can be what ever the Satrap chooses)

Antiochos pauses and takes a sip of water. After a brief pause he continues..

One of my assistant was near enough to hear your Edict, Arrhenides. And I second Edict 1.6. Peace and trade with the Hellenes could help us more than it could harm us. Also, it will make Egyptians angry and I always feel better when I have done that.

Antiochos smiled.. It was a long speech he just made..

kingsnake
09-11-2008, 15:43
If I recall only Strategos Theodotas Pisidikes has seconded edict 1.1, if I am correct I also second edict 1.1.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-11-2008, 15:57
You were right. I thank you for seconding my Edict since other Edicts were based on that one.

Antiochos nods towards the young Strategos..

MerlinusCDXX
09-11-2008, 16:58
Thank you, Basileus,
I would be honored to take up the Satrapy of Hecatompylos (Parthava). I hope I will discharge my task well.
In order to properly discharge my duties, I feel a cavalry army would be necessary, as these Arshkanig are steppe people. You can't kill what you can't catch.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-11-2008, 17:08
Good! I'll then start making preparations for your army there. Cavalry Army it is..

Antiochos smiles.. One less problem to worry about..

kingsnake
09-11-2008, 17:36
I'm sorry my head is just bursting with ideas... and I'm restrictted to only propose one officially. I think it would be very pratical for the Magistrate to post all eddicts proposed during each session and the strategos who seconded, so we don't have to go through our memories.

OOC: I cannot propose this in a more IC way, what I mean is that we should keep the eddicts, the people who proposed them and who seconded them, written and updated on the first or second post of each Council thread, so we don't need to go searching between posts... at least the game masters will have the most of the work done to start polling

MerlinusCDXX
09-11-2008, 18:46
I'd like to officially second Edict 1.6

Celtic_Punk
09-11-2008, 22:06
Cunobelinus nods to Lydikes in acknowledgement Thank you friend. From what I hear of the steppes they use many bows on their horses. do away with heavy cavalry, the armour will only slow you down, I wish you much luck mate. Cunobelinus sits down and grumbles "hmmph cowards and their bows a real man wields a longsword, am I right?"

Hax
09-11-2008, 22:44
Andromachos rises and bows before Antiochos

"My deepest thanks, my lord. I will try my best not to disappoint you."

The Celtic Viking
09-11-2008, 23:44
Thank you, great Basileus, my father. To do my duties as a satrap, I think that an infantry army would serve me best. It was evidently superior when Alexander set out, and it is still the best in Mikro Asia, as I intend to prove myself.

MerlinusCDXX
09-12-2008, 00:04
Cunobelinus nods to Lydikes in acknowledgement Thank you friend. From what I hear of the steppes they use many bows on their horses. do away with heavy cavalry, the armour will only slow you down, I wish you much luck mate. Cunobelinus sits down and grumbles "hmmph cowards and their bows a real man wields a longsword, am I right?"

Hehe, Cunobelinus, a real man wields a longsword, either that or a Kontos. I was planning on using the locals for the job. I think the armored guys will be of more use against the Egyptian sickos, grumbling "not only laying their sisters, but marrying them? I'm surprised the Gods haven't struck them down. Ah, well, they leave it up to us, I guess."

Celtic_Punk
09-12-2008, 10:25
The fair haired man stood up "There is also a pressing matter of Baktria. Since they ceded from the empire, do we face them at force? or should we accept their independence and use them against the Persian threat? Can we really afford conflict with them? and seeing as they were our most remote end of the empire and already practically autonomous I think they've earned their keep. I say we recognize Baktria's independence and move forth hand in hand with them as allies. We direly need allies in the east, not more cities to be a burden on our stretched coffers." Cunobelinus sat down awaiting a harsh rebuttal

Rodrico Stak
09-12-2008, 13:55
Attalos Peragmou Mysiakes nods to Cunobelinus.

I agree. Baktria is more valuable as an ally than as a territory. Since we are already allied with them, there's no need for a edict, but nevertheless I felt it necessary to voice my agreement.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-12-2008, 14:45
We are not allied to Baktria. They broke the alliance we had! That was one of the reasons I called this Council together! I do agree that we don't have to go to war against them, yet. But we should not forget this treachery and wait the right moment to bring them under our rule again. At the moment I would propose this diplomatic offer to Baktria:

Edict 1.7: Diplomats should be sent to Baktria to give and get trade rights and form a new alliance with them.

kingsnake
09-12-2008, 14:50
Finally one alternative eddict for the Saba envoy! I believe we should only improve relations with Baktria not with the nomads. I second Eddict 1.7!

Incitatus
09-12-2008, 15:22
I also believe that a better relationship with Bactria would be beneficial, however temporary it may be. Therefore, I also second Edict 1.7. I feel it would be wise to give instructions to our diplomat to stay in the area, and thus be ready to open communications with the Saka if Baktria should turn on us.

MerlinusCDXX
09-12-2008, 16:56
Aratos, the Edict calling for an envoy to the Saka calls for a cease-fire, nothing more. I agree with improving diplomatic relations with Baktra, but a cease-fire with the nomads costs us nothing, as we have larger problems closer to home. Do we really want to fight over undeveloped steppes so far from anything?

Celtic_Punk
09-12-2008, 17:10
"Baktria is under constant threat of the steppes people's. We must take care in an alliance with Baktria if we are to keep this peace with the Steppes. Our position strategically on our northern Persian/Saka/Baktra border is horrible!" Cunobelinus looks at Antiochus "We should be prepared to abandon it if the situation becomes dire enough. I feel we need some scouts in the area to survey the land and watch enemy troop movements. This will give us fair warning of an incursion and we will be able to act accordingly, whether it be scorched earth or reinforcement. What say you?"

Ibn-Khaldun
09-12-2008, 17:28
I planned to send some 'intelligence agents' near Our and Saka border. Also near the Pahlavan and Baktrian borders as well. Of course if we have the money to recruit them.

And I have considered to call back troops from our two most north-eastern settlements. We just don't have enough resources to hold those provinces at the moment.

kingsnake
09-12-2008, 19:59
Sorry Phanias Lydikes, I had tried to point out since the beginning of the council how a cease-fire with Baktria was far important than a cease-fire with the Saka and I was very satisfied when the Basileus proposed eddict 1.7 and did not think twice about my words. I of course agree with a cease-fire with the Saka, but I think the baktrian situation is much more important.

We have discussed many matters but I fear one has been quite neglected... that is the Hayasdan Kingdom, tough one eddict as been proposed, it wasn't very convincing and nobody supported it. So I ask you what will be our course of action towards these people.

The 1st Royal Council is almost to its end, congratulations everyone! So I propose one last thing: that we all go feast together tonight!

Ibn-Khaldun
09-12-2008, 21:11
Antiochos stands..

I hereby declare that the time for proposing legislation has passed! Voting will begin shortly. There will be a two day period allocated for voting. Voting will end at 8pm GMT on Sunday, September 14th.

Warmaster Horus
09-12-2008, 21:49
The Magistrate in charge of voting stands up:

Strategoi, the polls are open! (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=262) Please give your vote promptly, as we will close the polls in 2 days, that means at 20:00 GMT on Sunday, 14th of September.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-13-2008, 22:49
Antiochos stands..

It's good to see that all Edicts passed. Now I need to know some things.

First, what Army type will Andromachos Syriakos and Sarpedon Syriakos choose for their Satrapies. It will make my life easier if I know what units I have to train for them.

Secondly, I have to name the Commanders of our Regular Armies. So here they are:

Theodotas Termessou Pisidikes will lead First Lydian Army.
Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes will lead First Parthian Army.
Aratos Arethousas Syriakes will lead First Syrian Army.

If some of those men can't lead the Army for some reason then I would like them to tell me.

Also I ask that Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes would lower the taxes in Hekatompylos or there is a chance that local people could rebel against our rule!
And I hope that Satrap of Ipsos, Sarpedon Syriakos, will allow me to use Ipsos and Sardis to recruit soldiers to the Lydian Army and wouldn't lock the garrisons.

I will make a report of the springs events soon!

After the speech he sits back and starts to talk with couple of his scribes..

The Celtic Viking
09-14-2008, 17:04
Sarpedon Syriakos stands up.

Father, I think it is your bad hearing playing with us again, for I have already announced my choice in the matter! However, I shall restate it now: I will have an infantry army.

As I told you in the private talk we had during the break, I will allow you to do this. It is more urgent to get the Lydian Army raised and ready than a defence force for my satrapy, as it is relatively safe at the moment.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-14-2008, 17:13
Yes, it must be my bad hearing. I have assistants who should keep track on things said in this Council and if they don't do their job well then.. their punishment will not by an easy one!

Antiochos glares some of his assistants who start nervously look around..

OOC: This happens when you have several threads open in the same time.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-14-2008, 22:18
Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes, with what right did you took the units from Susa? I understand that you killed a rebel force there but I remember you that you have to ask permission before you take units from city garrisons. This time I let it be. But next time I will punish whoever will take units they have no right to take!

Antiochos looks annoyed..

Chaotix
09-14-2008, 22:50
Basileus, if I may ask, has the First Lydian army been recruited and drilled yet, or is it still in the process of it? If it is ready now, I would ask your permission to move out towards Side with the intention of besieging it.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-14-2008, 23:02
It is not completely ready yet..
We have some units recruited in Ipsos and Sardis and they serve as garrison there..
I hope that in autumn or later in this years winter we have the Lydian Army completely ready for campaigning.

00jebus
09-15-2008, 16:53
Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes, with what right did you took the units from Susa? I understand that you killed a rebel force there but I remember you that you have to ask permission before you take units from city garrisons. This time I let it be. But next time I will punish whoever will take units they have no right to take!

Antiochos looks annoyed..

Timarchos looks equally annoyed

My apologies your majasty,

I had my clerk look over various documents and he saw nothing wrong with borrowing units from the garrison, especally since it didn't affect order,
in any case, if I ever find myself in a city with rebels looting the countryside and no army of my own, I'll be sure to ask if I can borrow the garrison.... I'm off to punish my clerk in the meantime.

Celtic_Punk
09-15-2008, 17:52
"You man, should be punishing yourself, not the clerk. For what following your own orders? I thank Maponos that I am not under your governance. Do not blame good men for your own incompetence," Arrhenides raises an eyebrow "for it is a good way to make many enemies and meet an untimely end."

00jebus
09-15-2008, 18:27
Incompetant? hmm...
I have spent the year dealing with a small rebellion, nipping it in the bud before they layed their plundering eyes on our capital so you see, I did not have unlimited leasure time to check the constitution with regards to my actions, that is why I employ a clerk. I have appologised to the emperor for using his troops without asking, not for using his troops to destroy that rebellion

I ask you Gedrosianos, how have you improved the safety of the arche this year? what enemies of the arche have been destroyed by you?
If thats what counts as incompatance nowadays then you are the most competant man in the world!

Mysiakes sits muttering "Insolent, stupid youth" barely loud enough for his neighbours to hear.

The Celtic Viking
09-15-2008, 18:49
Gentlemen! There's no reason to be fighting over this! Mysiakes broke the constitution, yes, but my father has, in his great benevolence, decided to pardon Mysiakes of his offences. Perhaps he should extend that benevolence to the clerc as well, but like it or not, he has the right to punish him as he sees fit. The only thing you can do about this would be to propose an Edict forbidding us from doing this next time we formally gather to make Edicts, but that would only work from then on.

For now, however, there is no reason to take this any further. Lets just forgive and forget, alright?

Sarpedon sits down, shaking lightly with his head.

kingsnake
09-15-2008, 22:01
Basileus, I don't need such a big army to conquer Tarsos. I would not mind if you dispatch 2 phalanxes and 1 slinger unit to help reinforce the city of Damaskos until I return back to Syria.

Also, the Lydian army is already big enough to move against the other greek city, no need to be waiting.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-16-2008, 00:42
After consulting with some of his scribes Antiochos speaks..

Mysiakes..next time ask before you do something like that. I was not aware of those brigands and I most likely would've gave you permission to take those units. I had a plan to send those phalangitai and slinger units to Ekbatana to my sons Royal Army. As you may understand I couldn't do that.
But since you had good intentions I will let it be. Next time however there will be punishment.

Arethousas Syriakes, Regular Armies must be in their minimum required strength. This is bureaucracy I know, but these things must be followed. We can not leave half the army to one place and the other half to another. This will make those armies easily destroyable. Cities and their garrisons must take care of themselves at the moment. I try to recruit a unit in Damaskos if possible but if not then I hope those Strategoi enjoying good life in Antiocheia will go and help Damaskos.

Also, since I'm an old man already I plan to stay to Seleukeia. This means that I will send my Royal Army to Syria and I need a Strategos to lead it. So, is there any volunteers?

Antiochos smiles..

Just remembered this.. Any Strategos can join the Regular Army IF the comanding officer, Strategos of Regular Army, allows it. This way those who wanted the fight will get one. They can't lead an army but they do can get to battle!

Rodrico Stak
09-16-2008, 01:24
Attalos Peragmou Mysiakes smiles.

I would be more than happy to volunteer for your consideration, sir. I was just on my way east, as it happens, and I am to the east of Ipsos so it will be not too much longer for me to get to Syria.

Celtic_Punk
09-16-2008, 02:01
Cunobelinus shoots up upon hearing the King's request My liege I would be extremely grateful and honoured for the chance to lead such an army in your stead. I make up for lack of years in determination and will. It would not take me long to get to Syria from my home in Ipsos, and I already have some experience in battle from before my employment in the Arche. Thankyou.

Incitatus
09-16-2008, 03:44
Alexandros rises immediately

Basileus, and dear uncle, it would be a privilege to lead your Royal army. I am currently well positioned in Damaskos, having forsaken the pleasures and luxuries of Antiocheia in order to better defend the Arche. I believe that with the Royal army under my command I could make a great deal of progress in removing the unwashed Ptolemaioi hoards from lands that should be ours. I would be honored if you would consider me for the command.

Alexandros makes a deep bow and returns to his seat

Ibn-Khaldun
09-16-2008, 08:49
Antiochos smiles when seeing three men wanting to lead his Royal Army...

It would take nearly a year before my Army reaches Antiocheia and Syria. I would also mention this.. If whoever controls my Royal Army and face a defeat by his own negligence then that man can forget of leading another army for sometime!

Since Attalos Mysiakes was the first one to offer his services then I make him the Commander of Royal Army. You should get to Syria as soon as possible. I will station my Army near Antiocheia just so you would know where to look for it.

Other Strategoi shouldn't feel themselves left out because they can't lead an Army yet. I have said it before. Our current financial situation just can not allow more Armies at the moment.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-17-2008, 00:47
This Chancellor position is giving me a headache!

Antiochos shakes his head and it's clear to see that he is upset...

It is one thing when just an ordinary Strategos breaks the law but if a member of the Royal Family and a Satrap do it then... This gives me a headache..
Andromachos Syriakos you have built 2 watchtowers in your Satrapy. Total sum is 3000mnai! Since you did not asked this before you ordered to build them then this is against the law!
This will not be unpunished! Your punishment shall be announced later because for now I need to rest!
This headache just don't leave me alone!

Antiochos stands up and just before he leaves the room he turns around and says..

I will leave my scribe Patroklos here to answer your questions..

Saying that Antiochos leaves the Council Hall..

Celtic_Punk
09-17-2008, 01:33
"3000 mnai?! what are these towers built out of? solid bronze?! It would be good form and prudent however to build a network of watch towers along our current borders as soon as possible. We cannot allow our enemies to sneak in an wreck havok on our lands. Such incursions could prove costly and dangerous to both our people and future."
Arrhenides sits down and mutters to Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes"3000 mnai! Bloody Hell!"

Rodrico Stak
09-17-2008, 02:55
Lord Attalos bows to the Baselius.

Thank you, my lord. I will not disappoint you.

If I may be so bold as to ask, what types of soldiers will I be commanding? I realize that the constitution mandates 6 infantry divisions, 2 ranged, and 2 cavalry divisions, but it would be most helpful to know in advance what kind of army it is.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-17-2008, 08:52
Scribe Patroklos stands and speaks..

Attalos Mysiakes, when our great Basileus is doing his Report then he will write down all the current units in his Royal Army. He will also write down all the units in Regular Armies as well. And once it's time for Satraps Armies he will do the same and send letters to the Satraps. He would appreciate if those lists will be mentioned in your 'Orders'(OOC: SOT). It would make his life easier if he can see whether he need to recruit new units to those armies or retrain them depends which is cheaper.

Also I will check whether the man in question really spent 300 mnai to those watchtowers and why did they cost so much.

Scribe bows and takes his seat..

00jebus
09-17-2008, 15:56
Scribe Patroklos stands and speaks..

Also I will check whether the man in question really spent 300 mnai to those watchtowers and why did they cost so much.

Scribe bows and takes his seat..

If the man spent 300 mnai on 2 towers then he should be placed in charge of construction of all the arche's projects!

I think you have misread scribe Patrolkos, Andromachos Syriakos was roumored to have spent three-thousand mnai.

kingsnake
09-17-2008, 18:04
Hello fellow Strategoi, I announce that, today, I will leave to campaign in Mikro Asia with the 1st Syrian Army. My first objective will be to conquer Tarsos and then the Island of Kypros from the Aygiptians. I will send a messenger to deliver any news and I will do my best to be present in any Council Session.

I'm going now.... see you this life or at Elysium!

Celtic_Punk
09-17-2008, 19:25
Cunobelinus stands up abruptly Aratos, perhaps you would need some support? I could command your flank and cavalry wing. I'd be more than happy to accompany your campaign.

Hax
09-17-2008, 19:36
Andromachos rises from his seat and throws a glance through the hall.

"Yes, it is true that I have commissioned the building of two watchtowers at the borders of Pârsa. However, as Cunobelinus stated --" Andromachos throws a quick glance at Cunobelinus " -- this is for the overall good of the Arche. I do accept the punishment, whatever it may be. I could repay the lost money from my personal treasury, however."

Andromachos is seated again.

OOC: Hey, somebody had to break the rules for the first time ;D
I could also have said; hey, why not burn Parsagadae again?

Ibn-Khaldun
09-18-2008, 01:08
Patroklos, after reading the letter all over again, says...

Strategos Timarchos, you are right. It is really 3000 mnai! How could I missed that last zero?

OOC: It's a typo ~:D

Strategos Syriakes, Our Great Basileus wish you the best of luck and a good campaign!

Also, Basileus wants al of you know that he really like if more than one Strategos is present in the armies. This way if one of them can't fight the battle then the other one, second in command, will do it for him.

The Punishment of that law breaking is following: Basileus will use his power to destroy one building in the full Chancellor term in any settlement. The settlement is Persepolis but the building is not decided yet. Perhaps it will be that Parsagadae or what ever it was.

OOC: If you have any questions about the rules or what you can move or build then just ask me. If I'm not at work then I'll try to answer as soon as possible. ~:)

kingsnake
09-18-2008, 15:44
Aratos turned his head to Cunobelinus.

"I don't see why I should reject such request, I would be grateful to have you riding by my side.
However I remind you that I'll be in charge of this campaign. Also the enemy forces won't prove to be challeging enough, according to my scouts, and I will be completely honest with you, I really don't need much more aid, my army is big enough by now.

I recommend you support the 1st Lydian Army in conquering the other Egyptian Mikro Asian city and then Halikarnassos... that campaign will prove much more thougher than the one I'll be commanding.
Or that you support Damaskos, that city's garrison is weakened, and we must hold it.

If you decide otherwise and join me, I must say that I plan a quick offensive and won't wait for you and your bodyguards to merge in my army. So you may plan to join while I'm sieging, I plan to siege them for 1 or 2 seasons. Of course you may leave your bodyguards behind and travel now with me alone."

OOC: If you want to be there with your "internet character" and not with your "in-engine-game character", to contextualize some stories you may want to add, etc

Aratos now turns to the rest of the council and gestures a man sitting next to him to stand up, he obeys.

"I want you to meet the man who will represent me while I'm away." Aratos nodded at the man.

The stranger cleared his voice and said. "Greetings. I'm honoured to be in the presence of the great Strategoi, my name is Akakios Euthymios and, as my lord said, I'll be his representative, I'm responsible to send him any news and to forward his messages back here."

"Yes." said Aratos. Akakios sat. "I will be leaving soon, Strategos Cunobelinus what is your final decision? And Scribe Patroklos, send my best wiches to the Basileus... he doesn't seem very well."

Celtic_Punk
09-18-2008, 16:01
Cunobelinus stands up Well I'd have to wait for the commander of the 1st Lydian to join his army. I do not know if he'd allow me to or not. Cyprus might prove a costly battle however. I think I'll move with haste to you.
OOC: My game isn't loading the saves for some reason, could you move me to your army kingsnake? thanks bro.

Cunobelinus smiles maniacally

kingsnake
09-18-2008, 17:08
"Got it Strategos Cunobelinus. We will meet again during my siege of Tarsos.

One last thing I want to point out is that the 1st Lydian Army is already ready, yet I do not hear any news from its commander Theodotas Pisidikes,I hear that it still hasn't moved from the fort and hasn't moved either against Side or Halikarnassos. I'm dissapointed... I visioned a quick attack on the Egyptian Mikro Asia lands and Kypros, that completely cut Egyptian access to Mikro Asia when I proposed Eddict 1.4 and it is my fault I didn't express this more clearly. I beleive a new commander should be nominated if we don't hear from the current one anymore.

Edict 1.4: After a succesful mission against the Egyptians on Mikro Asia. The 1st Lydian Army is to conquer independent Halikarnassos. Only if the diplomatic relations with the Makedons remain peaceful, if not the army is to retreat and defend Sardis. The Syrian Army will board transportation ships (the cheapest fleets we can build) and invade Kypros. After a succesfull mission they board on the fleet back to Antiocheia.

I will leave now."

Aratos left the council.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-19-2008, 01:02
Patroklos turns to Akakios..

Please thank your master Aratos for caring Basilus' health. I'm sure he will not forget this.

Turning to the hall..

As for the Lydian Army... I have instructions that if Theodotas Pisidikes will not move to attack Side in this year then another Commander should be found! Basileus also have said that he hopes Theodotas Pisidikes is just preparing his men for the last time and will head against Side later in this years summer.

Patroklos bows and takes his seat..

OOC: I'm writing a story why Antiochos left and what happened to him after his leave from the Council.

00jebus
09-19-2008, 18:30
A milatary map is distributed, first to the royal family

https://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6267/requestgu9.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

The messanger who brought it then speaks

I come before you today to formally request a detachment of troops from the royal army to the attached service of Strategeos Mysiakes to eradicate the rebel's led by Byzantinosm whom you can see by the middle bridge, just south of the mountains on this map.

By our calculations, they could arrive join with my lord Mysiakes in one season, assuring the scurge on trade in the region would be wiped out before the next year.

My lord Mysiakes also requests that if a detachment is sent, it be made up of two units archers, and two units infantry.

He also asks that I inform you, pre-empting any questions, that Arbela's garrison is too small to lend troops, and though Karkathiokerta does have a larger garrison, moving troops out of it would lead to riots at its current rate of tax.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-19-2008, 23:02
Antiochos enters the Council hall. After taking his seat he says..

I allow you to use those units. Take them all since I don't want to have just couple of units running around the Arche. They were meant for the Kleronomos Basileios' Royal Army so please try to avoid any unnecessary casualties on our side. After you have defeated those brigands I would like you to escort them to the river crossing between Antiocheia and Damaskos.

kingsnake
09-20-2008, 11:13
"Mighty Basileus, we have not met yet. I am Akakios Euthymios, representing Strategos Aratos Syriakes while is campaigning, it is an honour to be standing in your presence." he bowed his head.

"I have news from the 1st Syrian Army. The Strategoi, Syriakes and Cunobelinus, have succesfully conquered and occupied the city of Tarsos from the Aigyptians. We suffered 88 casualties and no enemy soldier survived. Strategos Syriakes plans to remain in the city, with the Syrian Army, until the transportation fleet arrives at the docks, then he will part to Kypros. He asks what are the Basileus' plans for the city's defensive garrison.
As a reward the Strategoi humbly request that their bodyguard cavalry units are to be retrained, for the price of 2 mnai.
That is all, I will deliver the original message and battle report to the Magistrate soon."

Ibn-Khaldun
09-20-2008, 14:54
It's good to hear that Tarsos have been conquered! Our fllet will get there soon. they are about couple of months away from the Tarsos port. As for the garrison I will try to find money to recruit some Pandotapoi there.

Antiochos calls one of his slave who quickly run away. Just moments later he returns with a beautifully designed sword. With golden engravings it is a masterpiece.

Give this sword to your master, Akakios Euthymios. It is a reward for capturing Tarsos.

navarro951
09-21-2008, 22:52
General Panaitolos Ankyrikos stands to be recognized

Gentlemen! I am here today to ask the commander of the 1st Lydian Army's permission to join in his ranks so that i may do my part in helping out with upcoming campaigns! Me and my bodyguard are bored,tired,and anxious for a fight! Thank you and i will await a response!

Sits down and mumbles..."My men simply need to be off their fat ass's!"

00jebus
09-22-2008, 16:04
Council,

I write to report you of my success and a complication,

firstly the success, the Rebel army has been routed with only 11 dead on our side, a significant victory by any standards.

secondly the complication, a force I suspect reports to either Hai or Georgian king has marched south and is now camped outside Karkathiokerta, and to rout this force I will need another turn with the royal army.

My apologies if this action holds up the plans regarding this army yet more than I predicted, however I am sure everyone can agree this is better than allowing minor kingdoms to invade our land at will.

yours in service
Strategos Epilektos Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes

Ibn-Khaldun
09-22-2008, 17:03
Antiochos smirked when hearing Timarchos' report..

I can see that he already elevated his rank from Strategos to Strategos Epilektos..

Well.. to make it official I promote Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes to the rank of Strategos Epilektos! Now he have the right to run for Chancellor on the next Council Session. Looks like we will see some interesting election then.

Smile crosses Antiochos' face..

But let it be known that I will give the permission to use these units against those 'bandits' who dared to threaten our city. If Sarpedon have other plans with those units then unfortunately Timarchos must step down as a commander of that army.

kingsnake
09-22-2008, 19:11
Basileus, this is a magnificent sword I'm sure my lord will take it as a war trophy, I will send it, right away, through my messenger, may I ask if this sword has some other significance or story behind it and where was it forged?

Also this same messenger has just arrived with a message from Strategos Aratos Syriakes. It announces that my lord will leave from Tarsos and land on Kypros by the end of Winter or beginning of Spring, the island's city will then be sieged.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-22-2008, 20:25
This sword belonged to the last Satrap of Tarsos before the conquests of Megas Alexandros.
It's been said that he himself used it in some battles later in Asia.

I'm good to hear that soon the conquests in western parts of Mikra Asia will be over. I have another campaign in my thoughts ready for the Syrian Army once Kypros is taken.

Also I hope to hear that in the next 3-6 months Side will fall and Lydian Army would march against Halikarnassos.

The Celtic Viking
09-23-2008, 01:33
Sarpedon, raising a hand, stands up and beckons to speak.

Much has happened, it would seem, since I left nigh five days ago. As one of the magistrates has informed me, I am now heir to the throne, a position I will hold with to your honour, great Basileus, father.

The first thing I will do is to recall my royal army back to my own, personal control. I do not know where my army is currently stationed - I have come straight here and haven't had time to check the reports yet - but if Timarchos wish to command it on it's way back to me, he has my permission to do so. Otherwise I expect him to appoint that task to the best able officer. Order to be executed immediately.

I will speak again once I have seen all the facts.

Incitatus
09-23-2008, 02:06
Alexandros stands to address the council

Great Basileus, I have received reports of a small band of rebels currently terrorizing the local villages and blocking the road south from Damaskos. I am asking permission to lead out the garrison and meet the brigands in battle. The forces stationed in Damaskos are fairly limited, however, and consist of a unit of levy spearmen and a handful of slingers. My reports indicate that the rebel forces include one regiment of levy spearmen, one regiment of native archers, and one as of yet unidentified regiment. I would be more inclined to fight if I had more soldiers under my command, as a (albeit, very unlikely) defeat would cause serious problems for the defense of the city. If some money could be found I would be happy to wait a season and then meet the rebels, but if not I am confident enough in my abilities to engage them immediately. Of course, if the Basileus does not find me a suitable commander I am sure the rebels will be dealt with eventually, but I would caution against a lax approach lest it find its way into other areas of our work.

Celtic_Punk
09-23-2008, 02:15
A young man rushes into the council chambers holding a rolled parchment.
"I have been sent to announce that Master Arrhenides Gedrosianos will be staying with the 1st Syrian Army as Aratos Arethousas Syriakes' lieutenant. All messages or orders should be directed their till further notice. In his stead he sends myself - Euripides - to act on his behalf on council matters."
Euripides takes a seat among the men already in the council chambers.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-23-2008, 14:52
Sarpedon, my son! It so good to see you here again! What five days are you talking here?

(OOC: In RL you were away for 5 days but in game Sarpedon have been away a year)

Alexandros I give you my permission to use Damaskos' garrison to defeat these bandits. But remember that you have to make it back to Damaskos in this season.

And let it be known that Strategos Epilektos Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes have to either escort those units currently under his command to Ipsos or give the command to a Captain. I think we need to find another way how to destroy those rebels north of Karkathiokerta.

johnhughthom
09-23-2008, 16:11
A messenger arrived at the chambers.

Great Basileus, your loyal Strategos Polyxenidos Lykikos requests the use of the garrison of Asaak to deal with a band of cut throats plaguing travellers in the region. The army will be back in the city the same season with minimal losses. Lykikos anxiously awaits your confirmation my lord.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-23-2008, 16:22
Antiochos nods and smiles..

I give Strategos Lykikos my permission. Just let your master make sure that they actually do end in Asaak before this season ends.

The Celtic Viking
09-23-2008, 16:23
A year... Sure feels like only five days, though. I guess when you take vacations, time really flies by.

OOC: Thanks for pointing that out. That little tidbit completely fell out of my head. :sweatdrop:

After looking more closely at things, I see that my army only consists of 10 units, while the minimum for a royal army is 12. To complete it, I will add the peltastai in Sardis, but I also request to, once my army returns to me, recruit a unit of Galatian mercenaries. I have always admired their bravery in battle, and they would do a good job for us, I'm sure.

00jebus
09-23-2008, 16:29
Can we really afford mercenaries to just sit around in a satrapy in the current economic climate?

If they were being used in a campaign, I could understand, but to just make up the numbers?
Surely a cheaper alternative is avaliable for that

Ibn-Khaldun
09-23-2008, 16:31
I will look into it, Sarpedon. You do have the right for two cavalry units as well. I hope that we can find a way how to increase our treasure because every season that pass we have less and less gold in it.

I guess it is a good time to announce that I have ordered Strategos Attalos Peragmou Mysiakes, the Commander of my Royal Army, to attack Sidon and completely destroy it. If possible then Hierosolyma will be next. We need the gold from looting those places if we want Arche to restore it's might!

johnhughthom
09-23-2008, 16:39
The messenger from Lykikos bows

Thank you Great Basileus, just to be clear I am seeking permission for next season, Strategos Lykikos knows you are a busy man and wanted to give you notice.

The Celtic Viking
09-23-2008, 17:01
Timarchos, your objection is just and fair, but I do not intend to let it to just "sit around in a satrapy". I am well aware of our financial standings, and a rejection would be completely understandable, but it would not be hired now, and the situation may have changed when the time comes. If it has, then it doesn't hurt to have made the request now. If it hasn't, and it is declined, then there's still no loss.

Sarpedon turns to the Basileus.

Father, I thank you for considering my request. I know our treasury is tight, which is why I have also increased the taxes in my satrapy. I will look into my cavalry choices, and get back to you when I have made my decision. Sarpedon bows, then sits down again.

Celtic_Punk
09-23-2008, 18:52
A messenger rushes into the council chambers

"My liege, Strategos' Aratos and Cunobelinus from the 1st Syrian have landed on Kypros and established a beachhead. The siege will begin within the next season. More news will come within the month, sire. Do you have any new orders or messages to deliver to them?"

Ibn-Khaldun
09-23-2008, 18:58
I just hope they can take the city within the next 6 months and after that they should come to Antiocheia so that the Army could be retrained. But I do have a future campaign ready for them but we will talk about that once Kypros have taken.

That's all at the moment!

Antiochos nods to the messanger..

Rodrico Stak
09-24-2008, 01:18
Iskender, servant of Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes addresses the Baselius

My lord, regarding the orders you gave my master, who has sent me hear in his stead as he goes to meet up with the Royal Army, does destroying the city include the training facilities located there? They can be used to train our own troops as well, and so destroying them seems counter-productive.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-24-2008, 14:18
That's true.. Barracks should stay unharmed. This raid of yours will make the Ptolemaioi beg for mercy and peace I hope.

The Celtic Viking
09-24-2008, 19:36
Father, I have come to a decision: for my cavalry regiments, I would like another unit of Prodromoi, as well as a unit of Asiatikoi Hippakontistai, if possible. Thank you.

Chaotix
09-25-2008, 03:03
Hail, Basileus! I have just returned from Side, which I captured from the Ptolemies and occupied with our own forces. The citizens are not happy, however, and we can only tax them lightly lest they rebel. If Your Excellency wishes it, I will return there to keep the peace. If I may suggest it, roads from Side to Ipsos would make travel in the region much faster.

In addition, the First Lydian Army has taken light casualties (see the battle thread for full details), and I would humbly relinquish it unto Your Highness' control for it to be retrained, if necessary. Then, if Your Sagacity would again deem me worthy, I would lead it to battle against whomever Your Wisdom decides on. I myself would humbly suggest that the city of Halikarnassos is a fine target.

Thank you for listening to my words, mighty Basileus.

And to the noble Panaitolos Ankyrikos:

I apologize for not being here to answer the question you posed, but I was busy with the siege, and alas, I had no servant ready to receive or send messages. (OOC: I haven't checked this thread in a while, sorry). I would be most honored if you accompanied myself and the First Lydian Army. Right now, I believe it is going to be retrained, although that is the Basileus' decision.

The Celtic Viking
09-25-2008, 10:16
Hilarion raises his hand and waves it towards Antiochos.

"Great Basileus, first of all I would like to apologize for Sarpedon's absence. He is currently indisposed at the moment, and couldn't come himself, so he sent me to speak for him in his stead.

The message he's bidden me to give to you, milord, is that he feels that he has proven himself as a very capable satrap, and that he has earned the right for a bigger responsibility. He would like to ask that Side and Mazaka should be added to his satrapy, so that they could prosper under his wise rule."

"Not that they fared ill under your rule, of course!", Hilarion quickly added.

There's another thing that he has noticed though: the government in Tarsos is still loyal to the Ptolemaioi! How can this have been tolerated? Surely you must agree with lord Sarpedon when he says that it should immediately be dissolved and replaced by one loyal to us, not our greatest enemies! Also don't forget to do the same in Side as well, now that it is under our control."

Hilarion bows low.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-25-2008, 19:32
Antiochos smiles..

I will think about Sarpedon's request. He have the skills I must say!

The government 'type' in Tarsos will change soon. So, people don't have to worry about that anymore(OOC: Will change it the next time I take the save. That is probably tomorrow 12-13 GMT)

Also, Sarpedon, I will recruit those cavalry regiments to your Royal Army as you requested.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-26-2008, 16:42
Antiochos says to one of his scribes..

Message should be sent to Parthiakes and the First Parthian Army. They should move near Asaak and build a fort there. Soon another Council Session will be opened and then we will see what will be the next mission for the Parthian Army.

kingsnake
09-26-2008, 18:11
Akakios Euthymios, Strategos Aratos' representative rises.

"Wise Basileus, I received a courier this morning and I'm pleased to announce that the Strategoi, my lord Aratos Syriakos and Arrhenides Cunobelinus have succesfully conquered the city of Salamis on the island of Kypros.

No enemies survived and the Ptolemaic general, his name Hekesios Hermopolites, was killed in battle."

He handed the documents to a servant, who delivered to the Magistrate.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-26-2008, 20:35
It's good to hear that Kypros is ours just as it should have been for long time ago!
I have a new mission for your Lord.
There is a Ptolemaic Army west of Tarsos. They need to be destroyed! So I would like you to take the Army and destroy them! You can use our fleet to transport your Army. I would like for you to wait to autumn before you leave from Kypros though. This gives me some time to recruit some locals to keep public order in check.

Rodrico Stak
09-27-2008, 03:06
Iskender, Strategos Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes' proxy in Seleukia between council sessions, stands to address the council.

I have received word that my Lord Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes has successfully taken Sidon. Just over 100 casualties were taken in the assault. His detailed battle report is expected to arrive tomorrow.

kingsnake
09-27-2008, 08:32
Great Basileus I receive a new proposition from my lord. Strategos Cunobelinus goes after the ptolemaic army, with 3 phalangitai and the peltastai. While Strategos Syriakes, maintains public order in Kypros.

Or does your higness still want the army to remain a whole so it can return easily to Syria?

Ibn-Khaldun
09-27-2008, 08:48
Well.. I allow Cunobelinus to take those units and try to defeat the Ptolemaic Army. But after that I would like him to head to Antiocheia for retraining. After I have recruited some locals to the towns garrison I want Syriakes to head to Antiocheia as well.

I also must say that I'm impressed with the achievements of Syriakes. Two conquests and his promotion to higher rank is almost in reach.

Turning to Iskender..

I would like to know how much money did we earned with this?
This might sound hard but it was needed to be done!

00jebus
09-27-2008, 10:48
Some very troublesome news..

Ptolemaioi Army is near Tarsos. About 5 units in it. I ask Sarpedon to allow Timarchos to lead his army against them. It would be bad if we allow them to besiege the town.

Do I have permission to attack?

Ibn-Khaldun
09-27-2008, 12:17
Antiochos sighs..

Timarchos.. You can attack only if Sarpedon allows you to use his Army. If not then you can't use his army for that.
Also Cunobelinus have offered to attack that army.

The Celtic Viking
09-27-2008, 12:55
Sarpedon turns to Timarchos.

Nay, do not engage. Let Cunobelinus deal with the scum.

00jebus
09-27-2008, 13:23
Antiochos sighs..

Timarchos.. You can attack only if Sarpedon allows you to use his Army. If not then you can't use his army for that.
Also Cunobelinus have offered to attack that army.

which is why I asked sir...

Rodrico Stak
09-27-2008, 14:57
Iskender flips through his notes.

My lord Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes reports that the treasury started at around 3000 or 4000 mnai, but due to a painter's strike everything past that is just a black square. However, my estimate is that around 7000 mnai were made, and perhaps a bit more.

OOC: Looks like I forgot to turn off anti-aliasing, all my screenshots are black.

00jebus
09-27-2008, 16:06
I'd like to take this chance to congradulate my father on such a profitable campaign, may all others be as sucessful

Celtic_Punk
09-28-2008, 00:03
Euripides walks into the council chambers
"Good sirs, I come bearing terrific news! Cunobelinus has foiled an ambush set by the army West of Tarsos in Pamphylia! He sustained few casualties and obliterated the enemy. He has marched his army west and set up camp and intends to spend the next season there, and awaits your orders, highness."

Ibn-Khaldun
09-28-2008, 01:21
Antiochos raises his eyebrows...

West? I think Antioch is in east? Or am I mistaken?

Looking his scribe who nods and whispers that Basileus is always right he continues...

Those units must be taken to Antiocheia. The rest of the Syrian Army will be transported from Kypros there too..

After that.. Who knows! Second Council Session will take place before you get to anywhere also..

Celtic_Punk
09-28-2008, 03:46
Euripedes blushes "my appologies, in my excitement i mistook West for East. He also wished to know where he will be sent next."

sorry i get my left right, east and west mixed up all the time, i cant play guitar hero or anything like that because of it... i think its a mild dislexia or something lmao

kingsnake
09-28-2008, 09:12
I have a request for Arrhenides Cunobelinus representative.

My lord sent a message to your master and has not received any reply. The courier, probably, can not find him. Aratos wants to know why was his request ignored. That request was of ordering Admiral Leon to remain in Tarsos port but instead he was left in high seas between Tarsos and Kypros. My master acknowledges Arrhenides lack of experience at sea, but he must realize that the fleet is weak and is right now at a fragile position and at the mercy of pirates.

Celtic_Punk
09-28-2008, 09:25
not enough movement, I picked a landing spot close to Cyprus so my army would have enough movement spaces ended up getting ambushed anyway lol

"Tell your lord that As far as I know and am concerned he told the Admiral to take his ships to Tarsos. It is up to the Gods if the fleet makes it there before the seasons end."

Ibn-Khaldun
09-30-2008, 10:55
Event 1: Liberation of Hierosolyma!

Read the story (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=2026208&postcount=27) first!

Rules:

1) Any Strategoi may join the Liberation of Hierosolyma, except Satraps. All Strategoi must declare their intention to join the Cause by the end of the 269 BC Council Session by sending a PM to Ibn-Khaldun. All Strategoi who join the Cause will be known as Liberators for the duration of the Event. Whoever is elected Chancellor in the 269 BC election cannot join the Cause.

2) Every Strategos will be instantly transported to Seleukeia after the 269 BC Council Session has ended. They will arrive with only their personal bodyguard; all other armies under their command will be left behind.

3) Once assembled in Seleukeia, every Strategos will have a small army generated for their personal use during the Cause. The army, including the avatar's bodyguard, will be no more than six units in size, and no less than three units in size. The number, type, and quality of units will depend on the traits of the avatar himself. The exact distribution will be determined by Ibn-Khaldun.

4) Only the units received in #3 can be taken on to the Liberation of Hierosolyma. The Chancellor is barred from providing the Strategoi with any additional units in any way until Hierosolyma is captured.
Strategoi are free to join forces with their armies prior to leaving Seleukeia or besiege of Hierosolyma.
Strategoi may abandon any other Strategoi they have joined with at any point after reaching to Judaea. Anyone who splits away in this manner will take all of their surviving units with them.
All rank limitations on command are abolished for Strategoi for the duration of the Cause.
No Strategoi may move his own army for the duration of the Event. All movement of Strategoi and their armies will be done by Ibn-Khaldun.

5) Once all Strategoi have determined whether to join their army with others or remain separate they will all start moving towards Hierosolyma at the start of the second turn of the Chancellor’ term.
Every turn Ibn-Khaldun will roll a die for each army. This will simulate random factors effecting movement, such as weather, provisioning, delays, etc. Good rolls will result in full movement, perhaps even bonus movement. Bad rolls will result in reduced movement, or perhaps none at all. Armies of 6 units or fewer will receive a +1 to their movement rolls. Armies of 13 units or more will receive a -1 to their movement rolls.

6) Every turn, any Strategoi may attempt to sabotage the movement of another Strategoi army or even while besieging Hierosolyma. A die will be rolled to determine if this is successful. Successful sabotage will slow down the movement of the target army. Successful sabotage while besieging a city will prevent the army from assaulting until the next turn. There will be a small chance that the Strategos who attempted the sabotage will have his identity revealed, regardless of whether the sabotage succeeds or not.

7) When each army gets near Hierosolyma then Strategoi must send PM to Ibn-Khaldun to indicate whether they want to go diractly against Hierosolyma or wait for other Strategoi first. At this point, if the garrisons of Alexandria and Cairo are below 10 units, they will be increased to 10 units. No city may be attacked other than Hierosolyma. If there are AI controlled armies along the marching path, Ibn-Khaldun may require them to be destroyed before the city can be besieged. For the duration of the Cause only the Liberators may attack Hierosolyma.

8) The Liberators army that conquers Hierosolyma will gain ownership of that city. This city ownership will completely bypass any usual rule regarding to land ownership. Whoever conquers Hierosolyma will obtain control over it directly. If there are multiple Strategoi in the conquering army, they must all agree on who will command the attack and who will receive the city prior to assaulting the city. If they cannot agree before the Chancellor declares the turn over, they must wait until the next turn to assault it. The Strategoi who gains possession of Hierosolyma will be given two to four additional units by Ibn-Khaldun. The Strategos who conquers Hierosolyma will be known as "King of Judaea" and have all the powers of Satrap. All units commanded by other Strategoi will be used to form a Satraps Army for the new King.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-30-2008, 11:01
Antiochos raises and speaks..

I declare the Second Council Session open! It will stay open for debate and legislation until 10 am GMT on Friday, October 3rd, at which point there will be 48 hours alloted for voting.

Rodrico Stak
09-30-2008, 13:50
Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes stands and begins to speak.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the only units in Sidon are of the Baselius' royal army, and that some will need to be recruited to keep order once that army leaves. The new Chancellor (whomever we elect) will need to know this.

Celtic_Punk
09-30-2008, 17:13
Euripedes stands up "Members of the council, I bring a message from Cunobelinus. It will be EDICT 2.1: After the 1st Syrian Army regroups at Antioch and retrains an expedition to Libya and to Alexandria and sack it."
Euripedes clears his throat
"He says that this will fund further exploits by the empire, and although bold, it will be totally unexpected and therefore will work."
haha bold is bold

00jebus
09-30-2008, 18:55
I second Edict 2.1, especally if the expadition is timed to attack at the same time as the liberators.

johnhughthom
09-30-2008, 19:27
Polyxenidos Lykikos stood looking rather perplexed

Have I really heard this correctly? Have two Strategos of the Arche Seleukiea actually advised we should loot and sack Alexandria? Think about the name of the city, then reflect on its history and ask if we should be contemplating such actions.

The Babylonian sat down shaking his head and muttering to his companion.

kingsnake
09-30-2008, 20:46
Aratos who arrived from campaigning rose.

"Indeed, Polyxenidos Lykikos is right, Alexandria is an important city linked to our culture and history. We are not barbarians fellow strategoi and we would dishonour our ancestors by sacking it. Though I don't oppose the idea of conquering it from Ptolemaic hands."

He sat and whispered with surprise to Akakios, his representative in the council. "I sincerely hope my friend Arrhenides did not forget whose great tomb, lays in Alexandria."

The Celtic Viking
09-30-2008, 21:46
Sarpedon stands up with a face full of disgust.

Hmpf. You're forgetting who you're talking to. Dear Cunobelinus is still but a barbarian, as he shows here. Or are you forgetting his lineage? It is not Greek, so it's not surprising that he would suggest such a heinous act. What is shocking is that Timarchos actually agrees. I would spit at his feet, if we were but anywhere else.

kingsnake
09-30-2008, 22:31
However, it is a bit of a surprise, you forgot? He is right now your relative in a way and I expected him to behave like one, since he was adopted by one of your cousins. I'm sure your family had a reason, heir-prince Sarpedon.

OOC: Any expert in ancient greek can find a word for prince or heir? It would be very useful. Can I say "Kleoronomos Basileus SArpedon"?

Ibn-Khaldun
09-30-2008, 22:53
After being quiet for some time Antiochos speaks...

Hmm.. I'm a bit surprised that there is no one who would like to be Chancellor. I do hope that some one wants this position!

About Hierosolyma.. The people there will accept whoever takes the city from Ptolemaioi hands as their King. So if you want to make a name for yourself then join with the others who have sworn to liberate Hierosolyma!

00jebus
09-30-2008, 23:06
the egyptian Alexandria, lets face it, there are more than one, is not the place alexander died, but the place Ptolemy took his body to legitimise his dubious claim to Alexander's kingdom.
Would you really have us not attack the city just because it has the great man's name?

the Arche is streched, our coffers are almost empty, by sacking such a rich city, we would fill them, be able to recover Alexander's body and take it to what should be its true final resting place in Babylon, and deal a serious blow to our long time enemy, then again, given our peace-loving prince sarpedon's attitude to attacking enemies of the arche, I am not suprised he would oppose such a wonderful oppertunity.

the money gained from sacking could fund large public works projects throughout the east, bringing the people into line, and making the provinces all much more profitable, or how about another army for asia minor? Permegranum still needs liberating from its current tyrants.
Pehaps a massive improvement to our network of roads would meet your approval, where else would we get the money?

And this wonderful jewish liberating mission we have set ourselves, though it has my full support in both its moral nature, and material gain, do you really think everything about this noble venture will be met by the purses of the jews?

no, for all this we need money,

I would also be in favor of taking and holding Alexandria.... though that will take a while before it starts to turn a profit, why bother doing that now ourselves when we can have the Ptolemic's do it and we just conquer it again when the situation suits us?

Ibn-Khaldun
09-30-2008, 23:24
All of the expenses will be covered by the Jewish people in Babylon and Seleukeia. So there is no need to worry about the pay to the troops who have joined this cause.

I have to agree that Alexandria must be ours. I do agree that it needs to be attacked and sacked. But I'm not sure can we fund such a campaign from our current finances.

The Celtic Viking
09-30-2008, 23:40
Sarpedon stands up.

"No one here has argued against taking Alexandria: it is a complete strawman you're building up. I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am a whimp just because I haven't allowed you to get the blood you so crave during my watch, either. Remember who you are talking to, and show some respect! I have had reasons for it, and you should be grateful for ever being allowed to hold any sort of command over it.

What Cunobelinus proposed, and you seconded, was the sacking of Alexandria, and it's that act I'm against. I want it taken into our hands just as much as you do - I just want it done in a civilized way.

Sarpedon turns towards Aratos.

Yes, we should expect better behaviour from him than from just any generic barbarian, but we must not forget what blood runs in his veins. There are some limitations that he simply can't cross.

OOC: Kleronomos Basileus is my rank, so yes, you can call me that. I'm no scholar on ancient Greek either (hell, even modern Greek is like, well, Greek to me), but it would seem that that's what it means anyway. In WotB at least it does.

johnhughthom
09-30-2008, 23:45
Polyxenidos Lykikos stands once again

Though I am unsure whether candidates for chancellor are to propose themselves or be put forward by others I would propose Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes, satrap of Parthava, as chancellor. I, as I'm sure many others did, expected that part of the empire to fall into chaos. That it hasn't is a sign that Lydikes is either very able or very lucky, either way I feel he would make a good chancellor.

LordofUmbar
10-01-2008, 00:01
A Messanger arrives

I am Agathokles and I represent Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes.

My master seconds Edict 2.1. The money acquired by sacking Alexandria far out ways other considerations. If we cannot get money into our coffers we will perish.

Agathokles sits down

kingsnake
10-01-2008, 00:16
I have not checked the maps, but the Basielus might be right, we ought to secure our way and any important settlements and not jump right into Alexandria. So I'll check geo-political situation before making a decision.

I agree with Kleoronomos Basileus Sarpedon point of view and despite my feelings about our enemies, I must say I will not look kindly on the sacking of Alexandria. Also call them what you want, I would not call them limitations, prince.

What about the situatuions in the other borders?

Rodrico Stak
10-01-2008, 00:49
Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes stands.

I agree. We should not sack Alexandria. My position has nothing to do with the name of the city - a name is a name and nothing more. Instead, I take my position out of foresight. The sacking of Sidon, which I unfortunately presided over, was a regrettable, but necessary action. We should be wary of doing such a thing again! There is nothing that the Ptolemies have that we cannot use! Alexandria is a large, well built-up city, and it is worth far more to us intact. We must be concerned not only with immediate needs, but also with building a strong empire that will last, so that our children and grandchildren may enjoy the life that we do, and Alexandria is a city that will strengthen our empire. It is rich, populous, and has many buidings that we can use to our advantage. Destroying them would only be counter productive in the long run, and while sacking a city gives cash in the short term, in the long term and intact city will be much, much more profitable. Rebuilding Alexandria would cost a fortune if we destroyed it!

He sits down again, trying to judge the effect his speech had had

Celtic_Punk
10-01-2008, 03:57
You would not say that if he were present! Coward! My master never put forth the idea of massacring the civilians! how dare you call him a barbarian, Sarpedon. Someone who has campaigned and helped secure the freedom of the Arche, even fighting his way out of an perfectly timed ambus! What have you done? You may be heir but that does not give you the right to slander him. Buildings are nothing compared to the lives this would save, and the possibility of crippling our adversary.Euripedes slams his fist down Your highness, this would be a challenge logistically, but no nightmare. This could be done if we acted fast. The only danger would be to the fleet required to land the army. The march would be long if the fleet be lost. However, if we build another to support it the trip should be safe, and Ptolemy would take at least a decade to recover! Fellow ambassadors and men of the council, how can you pass up such a brilliant opportunity to deal such a deadly blow to the throat of the enemy? Who's side are you on?! You say "we do not have the money to fund such an expedition" well the victory will fund the expedition itself! "We are not barbarians" you say, This is not an act of barbarism, this is an act of natural justice! We must bring the body of Alexander back to his capital Babylon! The time to take and hold that city will come, but now is not the time! In years to come when we are all dead, they will speak of this exploit,Euripedes holds his arms out for it shall be glorious, and daring, and heroic! After all... Who dares wins. He nods looking around the room for acknowledgement, then sits and takes a large gulp of water. hoping that the council would see his point of view

Who dares wins is the motto for the SAS if anyone was wondering :P

The Celtic Viking
10-01-2008, 10:57
"Where is Cunobelinus himself, and why does he send impudent fools to do his talking? You said your master proposed that we sack Alexandria. Sacking will mean lots of death and damage to the civilian population, whether it's immediate from the soldiers' swords, or slower through having been stripped of all valuable objects. If you would claim that Cunobelinus doesn't know this, then that is tantamount to saying he's an idiot too incompetent to go near our armies.

You're also lucky that I'm not the Basileus yet. If I had been, you would have been banned from this council for your insolence. If you know what's good for you, you will apologize for your behaviour, and if you care about your master, you will not do it again. You can also tell him that, though I would forgive him for the proposition, I would not forgive his failure to condemn your insubordination, and punish you accordingly. You should know your place, slave."

OOC: Just to keep things clear, Punk, I'm using the Greeks' definition of the word when I say "barbarian", which is "someone who isn't a Greek". Cunobelinus is a Celt, and therefore by that definition, a barbarian. Surely you know this already, I'm just pointing that out since you seem to act surprised that I would call him that, which neither Cunobelinus or one of his servants shouldn't be, when they've been living among Greeks his whole life. (You haven't said he was born somewhere else, so I will naturally assume he was born in the Arche. If not, then he'd still have had to have lived in the Arche and worked with Greeks a lot anyway, or he could not have risen to the status that Cunobelinus holds in this game, and the effect would be the same. He would have become used of that word a long time ago, and neither he nor his servants would react much on it.)

Oh, and I mean absolutely no offense in calling you "Punk". It is a part of your name, after all. ~;)

Celtic_Punk
10-01-2008, 19:06
I am no slave, I am a free man, I do know my place! And it is not your servant! Now it would be wise to cool our heads before more words are said that we regret later. perhaps you should take a break. To clear your head.

No offence taken, I have a mohawk after all! :P I laugh when people try to insult me by calling me a punk. Though to be honest, I am hardly a grungy glue-huffing punker. Im a bit cleaner than that variety :P its important to note any fights in IC should STAY IN IC. its characters speaking, not you. And the word barbarian would hold great offence to Cunobelinus, since working with greeks most of his life he'd have to overcome racial prejudice, having done that he'd prove that hes no barbarian, but to be called that would be damaging, as its like going through it alll over again.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-01-2008, 22:54
Antiochos speaks..

I agree.. We must calm down and talk about some serious business here! Also I advise not to insult my son and the Heir of the Arche!

Anyway.. I propose the following Edict:

Edict 2.2: Independent states in Mikra Asia, Pergamon and Halicarnassos, must be taken before the next Council Session!

Also I propose the following Charter Amendment:

CA 2.1: The following lines will be added to the Rules:

1.2a Avatar Adoption

No Adoption offers at the start of the turn will be accepted.

navarro951
10-01-2008, 23:25
Panaitolos Ankyrikos rises

I agree with and second both Edict 2.2 and CA 2.1

Also, on the discussion of taking Alexandria, while it would be a great source of income for the great Arche, I believe that the campaign is to bold and to risky at the moment. I believe gaining control of the near by independent states should be sufficient enough for now. Our prime focus right now should be the gaining of more treasury, but I do not think it must be done in a dangerous manner at the moment.

EDIT: Still second CA 2.1 after its "revising"

kingsnake
10-01-2008, 23:27
I second edict 2.2.

Great Basileus would you mind to explain the Charter Amendment you proposed?

Ibn-Khaldun
10-01-2008, 23:37
OOC: I explain it OOC. There are always Adoption offer at the start of the turn. But if I minimize it and save the turn and someone else would take it then this offer can not be accepted anymore. Message comes that the person have died. We get those offers only because we have more provinces than we have generals. This is really frustrating since I tried everything but the outcome is the same - if not accepted at once then later the 'Man of Great Potential' will 'die'. I proposed this to make sure we don't bother with those adoption offers anymore. I think I'll change the text a little bit actually.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-01-2008, 23:39
I change my CA so that it would be more clear..

CA 2.1: The following lines will be added to the Rules:

1.2a Avatar Adoption

No 'Man Of Great Potential' offers at the start of the turn will be accepted.

Rodrico Stak
10-02-2008, 02:08
Attalos Mysiakes smiles. He stands to speak.

I agree with both Edict 2.2 and CA 2.1, and therefore second both.

I especially agree with edict 2.2! It is time that my uncle was taken off of his ill-gotten throne!

He sits down.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-02-2008, 06:51
Antiochos smiles..

And this was one of the reasons I proposed this Edict, dear Attalos. Another reason was that we just can not allow Pontos or Makedonia to take them! Pergamon is a rich city and we need it's wealth! And leaving Halikarnassos independent near our borders, free for every mayor State to attack them, is too big of a risk!

The Celtic Viking
10-02-2008, 10:35
"I agree with Edict 2.2, and I would like to propose that these objectives, should the edict go through, should be given to me and my royal army. Since I'm the satrap in the area, I have been in contact with these kingdoms, having done trade with them, and I know many nobles there who would welcome my coming. Beyond this, I know the lay of the land better than most, and I need the battlefield experience that I think an heir of our great Arche should have.

In fact, I had planned to make these suggestions myself, but before I could do so I was caught up with Euripedes' words and didn't get around to it then. While I realize this means nothing and I have only myself to blame, I thought I'd should let it be known."

OOC: If you think I'm just making the last part up, I-K should be able to confirm that I've had the intentions prior to this council, as I spoke to him about it in a PM.

... and there's no need to tell me that I'm abusing the spoiler function: I already know that. :sweatdrop:

00jebus
10-02-2008, 10:38
Timarchos smirks at this

....and your men need the experience too, considering most in the phalax havn't yet seen a living enemy

I would ask the council though, if my father, the exiled ruler of Pergamon, be given command of any army the liberates his own city, as he knows the lay of the land, the local populus and nobility far better than anyone else here.

Roka
10-02-2008, 17:51
Achaios Syriakos stands up

Although I agree that my brother's son the Kleronomos Basileios, should gain battlefield experience I think that the best chance we have that the people of Pergamon will accept our invasion with open arms, is if the exiled king leads the invasion, it would be better in the long run

OOC: i'm back and will now be playing a full part in WotB :2thumbsup:

Celtic_Punk
10-02-2008, 21:18
Milord, Are regular army command posts subject to change at anytime?

Timarchos is correct. The men need experience given that they are raw recruits.

The Celtic Viking
10-02-2008, 21:19
"The "exiled king" was exiled because he couldn't keep control of the city, and because the nobles didn't like him. If he could, and they did, why would he have been exiled in the first place?

Nay, make no mistake: Timarchos is letting a personal vendetta against me run his decision making, rather than what is actually best for us all. Do not fall for his cheap tricks of rhetoric."

Celtic_Punk
10-02-2008, 21:23
Unrightful coups occur all the time Sarpedon. The nobles of a country serve their own interests. not the ones of the people.

The Celtic Viking
10-02-2008, 21:42
"Of course, but Timarchos claims that he "know the local populace and nobility", and I don't think he meant that he knows them well as enemies. You can try to spin that however you like, but fact still remains that he couldn't keep control of it then, so why trust him with a charge he has already shown that he can't handle?

Any competent governor, let alone king, must know how to keep the nobles happy and in control. To put it bluntly, I don't see how the failure to do so would somehow be a merit in the resume for taking control of it now."

The Celtic Viking
10-02-2008, 23:14
Sarpedon rises again.

"There is one more thing though that I would like to have said. First of all I would like to applaud Antiochos, my father, for his work as Chancellor. We all should know that the money's been tight, but I for one feel that he has done the best he could with what he had to work with. For this I bow to you, father."

Sarpedon bows.

"But alas! his term as Chancellor has run out. When this council is resolved, he will have to step down from that position, and a new one will have to be appointed. That goes even if no one is willing to take the job, all thanks to bureaucracy. Since no one has yet to step forward as a candidate, am I to take it that no one is up for the job? I think I can change that with but one announcement: I hereby propose myself as a candidate to the position of Chancellor for the upcoming term.

There! That should make the applications flood in faster than cowards can run."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-02-2008, 23:26
Antiochos nods to Sarpedon...

I thank you for your kind words! It was a financial nightmare to get those Royal, Regular and Satrap Armies up to their minimal strength! I just hope that the next Chancellor could get the Arche to make money again! It's good to hear that you, Sarpedon, have decided make yourself a candidate. You are well known as a good governor. Perhaps three years from now you will be known as a good Chancellor too?!

Antiochos smiles..

Also I would like to welcome my brother, Achaios, to this Council. You have been away for too long!

Roka
10-02-2008, 23:51
Achaios rises slowly

Thank you brother, my body knows not the strength of my youth, but rest assured whatever strength i have left shall be devoted to the glory of the Arche!

Rodrico Stak
10-03-2008, 00:35
Rather annoyed, Attalos Pegamou Mysiakes stands.

I may be the exiled King of Pergamon, but I was never king there myself! I merely inherited the title when my father died. I was forced to flee when my father's brother usurped his throne when I was seventeen. So I was exiled not because the people or the nobles didn't like me, but because a powerful group of ungrateful nobles liked my uncle more than my father. I have been to Pergamon since, in disguise. I would not aspire to rule a people that I do not understand, and I believe that I understand the Pergamese more than my uncle does. I hope that clears up a few misconceptions.

He sits down.

Celtic_Punk
10-03-2008, 07:28
I say we return the rightful King of Pergamon to his rightful place! It is his throne by birthright. Sarpedon you would wish the same if that happened to you.

The Celtic Viking
10-03-2008, 08:02
"Oh, I see! Attalos wants to rule the city himself! Attalos thinks he is greater than the Basileus! Are you sure you want to go down that road? Because when we conquer Pergamon, it will not be yours to rule, no matter who does the conquering. Any settlement conquered is conquered for the Basileus, and not some exiled "king". To say otherwise is to go against the constitution.

So the throne of Pergamon is for the Basileus alone, and last time I checked, that was not Attalos. You remember that."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 11:21
OOC: The Council Session will be open another 7 hours. So it will be closed 17.00 GMT and the polls will be put up. I apologize for the delay!

johnhughthom
10-03-2008, 12:20
Polyxenidos Lykikos stands once again

Before I make my point I would just like to clarify one thing. When I argued against sacking and looting Alexandria I asked you all to reflect on the name of the city, some of you have told me it is foolish to make decisions based on a name. As I'm sure most of the intelligent men in the room realised I asked you to consider the name to jog your memories on it's history. I shall have to remember some of you don't grasp such subtleties. a quick glance at Cunobelinus' messenger and Timarchos I would also like to add that I have been disappointed to hear a few of you talk about bringing Alexandros' body back to Babylon. I am a proud citizen of that great city and would love for him to be interred there, but the fact is he rests in Alexandria and when we take that city we should leave him in peace, it is unseemly to drag a mans body across the world. Give him the dignity he deserves in death, the Ptolemies are certainly incapable of it.

My apologies for my long windedness I will get to my main point now. This talk of Pergamon's past has made me consider the future of the Arche Seleukeia. While we may have a great Basileus, and an heir who looks like he will become just as great, that may not always be the case, all it takes is one bad son to destroy a dynasty. Look at the founding of our empire for what happens if a great leader dies with no strong natural heir. We have a room full, mostly, of capable men. Shouldn't we choose from amongst each other who would be best to rule the empire? Let me make clear that my loyalty for the future is with Sarpedon and I pledge to vote for him if this edict was to pass, I am thinking further down the road.

So my edict: Edict2.3 Every council session a vote is made amongst the strategoi to decide faction heir.

Lykikos sat, wondering if he had gone too far with his radical proposal, and if he had left it too late in the session to get it seconded

Rodrico Stak
10-03-2008, 13:39
Attalos Mysiakes half-smiles and stands up.

Yes, I do aspire to be returned to the throne that is mine by birthright, but I would never dream of ruling the city in any way that would usurp the power of the Baselius. I would not forget that I was returned to my kingdom by the Arche Seleukia, and so I merely aspire to rule the kingdom of Pergamon as a loyal vassal of the Arche Seleukia, not to take power and then forget about those that made it possible.

As for your proposal, Polyxedidos, that is extremely interesting. In the name of having the best possible man for the job, I second edict 2.3.

He sits down.

00jebus
10-03-2008, 15:05
*looking at Sarpedon*

Sir, the greek's are known for their logic, so please, try to show some, you have come in here brandishing nothing but insults and contempt to those unlucky enough to not have such a high office handed to them by birth who dare to show any devience from your own views, do you really think that any future ruler of the arche who displayed himself in such a way would command the respect of such a large empire with so many varied cultures?

Nay, such a man would bring ruin to the arche faster than any other empire, and for that reason I second edict 2.3.

I would also like to assure you, though, I do not wish you to be heir to this great empire, I bare no ill will towards you, I simply take a diffrent view about polotics and the military than you, the vendetta you speak of is all in your mind.

Further, since it is obvious that if I was chancellor, you would not accept any act I made without the greatest of struggle's on my part, I also call for Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes, satrap of Parthava, to run for chancellor, since, apart from the baselloes, he is one of the few men in this room with suitable experience, and respect from every quarter.

Incitatus
10-03-2008, 18:49
Alexandros rushes in, shamed at his late arrival

I see that I have missed much, and I extend my apologies - there were urgent matters that required my attention. As for the future of Alexandria, nobody denies the fact that it must one day become part of the Arche but I do not believe that such a glorious city should be reduced to rubble in the process. The money to be gained in the looting of the city pales in comparison to the profits we would reap if we delayed the invasion a few years and then sent an occupying force. Why should we fight for the same city twice?

I also agree with Polyxenidos Lykikos' suggestion regarding political succession. It is in everyone's best interests for the Basileus to be approved by all. Therefore, I second Edict 2.3.

Alexandros sits, and reminds himself to finish his paperwork earlier next time

kingsnake
10-03-2008, 20:56
Indeed, having the council choose the next Basileus is a good idea. We are closing in to a republic that can be interesting. This is, however a big responsability, and I do hope you realize and are prepared for the consequences, especially on the long run. Like a bigger rate of civil wars and council chaos, so I hope you are wise enough to prevent this and not let the Arche fall into Anarchy. I don't believe we are ready, yet, to make this huge step. Though I'll consider, my vote will be very well thought through.

What is the Basileus opinion of eddict 2.3?
Has the Basielus created this Council, just to see it end his bloodline?
He looked surprised.

I also want to propose a new eddict.

Edict 2.4: That the 1st Syrian Army is to conquer Bostra, in Nabataia region, and Palmyra, in Tadmor region.

Fellow strategoi do propose more projects for the other armies. I would, if I had more power and if I had knowledge of each army's region and situation.

LordofUmbar
10-03-2008, 21:14
Agathokles rises

Though Edict 2.3 has been seconded twice, I just wished to give my master's support. He believes like those here that the next ruler of the Empire is a very important position and, as such, the Stratagos' voices should be heard.

Agathokles sits

johnhughthom
10-03-2008, 21:22
Polyxenidos Lykikos stands to defend his proposal

Aratos Arethousas Syriakes my friend, who says that this proposal will end the bloodline of the Basileus? Think about it, every vote in here will be a vote in front of the Basileus, voting against the man he wants to be heir would be a huge step, risking his wrath. The only time men would dare do that is if we have a weak Basileus or an incompetent heir. You say it would lead to civil war, chaos, anarchy yet you don't explain why. A weak heir taking over leads to those things. A strong heir, supported by the council, will lead to a strong empire. I certainly do hope you consider this carefully, imagine how carefully I had to consider the risk of proposing this, but I hope you have put more reasoning into any decision you make than you have just shown.

Lykikos sits, pleased at the reaction his edict has drawn

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 22:12
Antiochos speaks..

Now.. It's too late to propose any new laws since we already expanded the time for proposing legislations once during this Council Session!

I have been discussing here with some of the Magistrates who knows laws better than me..

Nodding towards some of them he continues..

Although Edict 2.3 have been proposed in good faith it should have been proposed as Charter Amendment so unfortunately the current form can not pass. The reason is that it changes the powers of the Basileus in 'Rule 2.4'

(12) Can decide who will be the next Heir at anytime he wishes.

But I do understand why it was proposed.

The Celtic Viking
10-03-2008, 22:14
"I think some things need to be cleared out. First of all, it takes a Charter Amendment to change any of our laws, so Edict 2.3 is thus invalid, no matter how many times you second it.

Second of all, I have not come to be the heir by hereditary rule, as suggested by malevolent mouths. The Basileus is free to choose anyone he wish to be his heir, and he chose me because he saw me as the most competent option.

So", Sarpedon turns towards Timarchos, "I would for the last time ask you to cease and desist with your slander against me. You don't like me, and that's fine, and you may disagree with me all you like, but your behaviour is unacceptable in here."

OOC: Damn it, I-K beat me to it. Ah, well.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 22:22
Dear Sarpedon, here you are little bit mistaken. Everyone above Strategos can propose CA. This means Satraps and higher rank Strategoi too.

Antiochos smiles..

00jebus
10-03-2008, 22:34
slander? ha!

I have said in this room two things that you take offense at,

firstly, you think me calling you peace loving is wrong, why?
you stopped your royal army marching one season out of its way to destroy an incursion from the north, largely made up of georgian infantry, stronger than all other local armies, so you either lack strategic awareness, trust in other, then, more experienced commander's with your army, or you love peace so much you don't want your army to fight them, I consider the latter the least insulting to you. Is it another one?

then you say you have your position by merit, are you suggesting that you, barely 20 years of age, acheived a satrapy in antollia purely based on administrative talent?

of what, a juice stall?!

no. you have a satrapy because of your father, and that is entirely his perogitive, but, I wonder, in all your lesson's when you were younger, when did insulting the lower orders when they make suggestions you dont like come into them?

Your right though, I don't like you, more because of your insulting manner towards me and your as yet undeserved arrogence than anything else

oh, and one other thing, dear prince, I hearby propose Charter Amendment 2.2 Every council session a vote is made from amongst the basileus's bloodline by all members of the council to decide the faction heir. (this changes rule 2.4, line 12)

This, is a slightly ammended version of Polyxenidos Lykikos'
*he nods towards him*
proposal that also ensure's the wise hand of the Basileus's blood relatives maintain control of the Arche.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 22:41
Antiochos sighs...

Just before I wanted to declare the Council Session closed still a new legislation is proposed! Unfortunately, it is needed two people to second this or it will not get to voting!

Also.. Timarchos I suggest you to be careful what you say.. He is still my son and the Heir to the throne!

00jebus
10-03-2008, 22:47
it's a damn shame sir, that we could not just assume the support of the four others here who supported or seconded my proposed CA when it was an edict..

Also, that most seem to live in BST, and will have probably gone to bed by now

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 22:48
I hereby declare that the time for proposing legislation has passed! Voting will begin shortly. There will be a two day period allocated for voting. Voting will end at 21:00 GMT on Sunday, October 5th.

The Celtic Viking
10-03-2008, 23:03
"Timarchos, you make assumptions based on nothing but your own imagination. I recalled my army because I figured I would need it to conquer Pergamon. Remember? I already told you and everyone else here I had planned to take it prior to this Council. The second time it would have been completely unnecessary to send you, since Arrhenides was already on his way there, so to waste time on that would have made absolutely no sense. Your failure to see this just shows what I've been hinting at all the time: you just don't like me because I won't let you have your battles with my army. You want to further yourself as much as possible, and when I remind you that the men you're playing with are actually mine to command, you behave like a child and attack me because of it.

If there was any sense in you, you'd know that the slander I was talking about was still mainly your saying that I am only the heir because I'm the son of the Basileus, when there is absolutely no reason to think so, and it's false. You continue doing this even now, but changing it to the satrapy I got. Yes, it was all merit! Are you really foolish enough to suggest otherwise, when everyone knows how good I am at management? You're making a fool out of yourself as we speak, and should really be ashamed. Really, I dare anyone to take a look at my work and say I haven't done a good job, that I don't have the skills necessary. Anyone with anything resembling a fair and unbiased mind will come to the conclusion that I was indeed the best choice there were, and so I remain.

Your way of ignoring the facts in order to fuel your personal agenda should be blatantly obvious to everyone by now."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 23:11
Now.. Let's calm down! The Session is over!

I also must mention that Sarpedon Syriakos, my son and heir, will become the Chancellor with all of it's duties after the Voting Period ends since there was no one else who proposed himself as a candidate!

kingsnake
10-03-2008, 23:15
I'm sorry I looked like I didn't put alot of reasoning into my previous statement. I thought it was unnecessary and that you had some yourself.

The bloodline will be left quite untouched if we do have to vote for a new heir in our lifetime. The only good candidates are sons or nephews of Basileus Antiochos. I imagine, however, a future where plausible candidates are adopted people or greedy son-in-laws. And I know the Basileus foresees this to. Now it's not my bloodline and I won't base my vote on this argument. I did not pose this question to you, but to the Basileus, by the way.
I, now, considering your remarks on the council, believe you think Sarpedon is incompetent. And why is that? Lets reason.
He is right now the best administrator in the Arche.
I know, he does not have any military experience, however, he only received his Royal Army in the last few seasons, leaving no room for him to plan any offensive.
So why then you think he is incompetent? Is it just because of the last petty discussions you had with him, in which Sarpedon was right? As in the other discussions he had with other strategoi this session? For Zeus! He is still a very young man, with alot to learn.
Might his personality be disturbing you then? I'll be honest he did showed me a quick glance of his racist personality today, there's, most likely, not much more to it than a simple pontual rage. He probably seems arrogant to you, but I see it as a young man's reaction at being recently named heir, with time, he'll know is place in the world or he'll place himself above the world. But it is still a bit soon to judge that.
So why is he incompetent have I missed something?

Yes this eddict will increase the rate of civil wars, chaos in the council and anarchy, I repeat I have little against republics. Especially when they are needed. So, lets reason, why these kind of elections could cause so much unrest, well it is simple, the council would divide into interest groups each with one candidate. This is only avoidable, as I said, with responsability. Something that seems to only appear in a few people every other generation. Yes, I know, such also happens with the Royal bloodline. But this time it seems we'll lose a responsible leader, due to some irresponsible leaders who judge competence during trivial argumentations with young men.

Furthermore I don't like the way this eddict is heading to. You look like you treat this like a national emergency and I completly disagree, I hope some do think as I think and will vote Sarpedon as heir. I will vote Yes on this eddict, for its great uses in real emergency situations. Another suitable eddict would be to give the council "impeachment" powers.

Yes impeachment would be impossible ingame but we can always suicide the Basileus and pretend he was assassinated or exiled.

johnhughthom
10-03-2008, 23:49
Polyxenidos stands looking confused

I would ask Aratos Arethousas Syriakes if you could please clarify who your last statement was aimed toward. I thought you were replying to my comments toward you earlier, then you launched into a rant about my thinking he is incopetent. I don't believe I have had any debate with the heir to the Empire, and I made my loyalty to him quite clear when proposing my edict. So either I have missed something or you are getting me confused with someone else. If it is my error I apologise, if not I await yours.

The Babylonian sits, visibly disappointed at his silly error in filing his edict.

00jebus
10-03-2008, 23:58
*at sarpedon*

I tire of fighting someone so pig-headed.
lets look at the facts, in an unbaised way you claim you are so fond of

defense takes priority over attack, unless attack can remove the need for defense, your royal army was the only force around karkatheria, the georgio-armenian raiding force, is still there to my knowlage... we are loosing a not insignificant amount from their campaigning.
Pergamon has not been taken, dispite your promises
the army is getting paid to, basically, march, instead of fight.

so I was right about what the best use of that army would have been

next you claim I dont like you, to which I respond, nobody cares, you do your job and not stop other people from doing their's, and we would get along fine, I'll even chalk the arrogence upto your youth, and disrespect of free men to simple ignorance of the celtic ways.
please, stop having a tantrum about this.

then, accusing me of behaving like a child is fine, but that army I played with has lost fewer men in the battle I commanded it in than any other single battle by any other commander so far.
and this is politics boy, people who propose bad policies get attacked, stop taking it personally.

therefore, neither accusation is true.
or, as we are being unbaised, I am right.

you've done a good job, in the easiest of circumstance, the satrapy of pahlava is more likely to be attacked, and faces tougher enemies if it is, the majority of your population are greek and by comparison, your satrapy was far more developed than most of the rest of the arche.
so, we both were right.

So I want to further myself, so I have ambition, so what?
the only way you could make this argument is if you were a hermit yourself.
that wont happen, so please, dont bother arguing something that can be rebuffed so easily.

the facts are those.
pehaps you missed them since they dont fit in with your agenda

kingsnake
10-04-2008, 00:18
I responded to your questions, though I should have been more clear when I was directing myself to those in the council who believe sarpedon not to be worthy of the title of Basileus.

Sorry Sorry I'm half studying, half sleeping. the rest is posting. I got alot of important tests next week :(
I really thought I read you and many others were opposing sarpedon, looks like only a few are
gotta stop doing both wotb and study at the same time -_-

The Celtic Viking
10-04-2008, 00:29
Sarpedon stands up, for once with a smile on his face.

"Thank you, Aratos. It is very refreshing for my ears to hear that someone besides my father can appreciate me. It seems that despite all the hard work I've done, working my ass off with all bits of tedious issues that comes along when you have a satrapy to run, I'm never thanked for this, nor am my efforts even recognized by anyone, with the exception of you just now, and an occasional hint at a "bravo" from my father. Can you blame me for being a little bit edgy sometimes? Then on top of it all, Timarchos would add insult to injury by actually claiming that I'm only getting a free ride by my father! He even has the audacity to look down on me for my lack of combat experience, when the very reason why I have none is because he himself has enjoyed my army far off in the east! For the love of the gods, I haven't even been allowed to see my troops with my own eyes yet! How can anyone expect me to have battlefield experience then?

I see the point why you wanted all to vote for who should be the heir, but I disagree with it. To make decisions like this in a democratic fashion is dangerous and unreliable. People would not vote for who would be the best for the nation, they will vote for who are best for them, even if that means screwing the rest of the population. Then we have things like corruption, bribery, voting by personality rather than actual politics and merits and only the gods know all the possibilities. To rely on the mass of people make the choice that benefits us all the most is naieve at best.

If we are to let something or someone decide besides the basileus, I think it should be merits alone. If you want my support for any change in this, it must rely on that central point. Otherwise I'd prefer that the Basileus should keep the right to choose and switch heir at any moment as he deems fit. That would at least limit it to just one person who has to stay away from corruption, instead of all of us."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-06-2008, 17:35
Antiochos raises an eyebrow..

Occasional hint at a 'bravo' from me? Don't you think that I haven't noticed your exceptional skills as a governor!
But there is another thing I must do also. I ask that my brother, Achaios, would become the Commander of my Royal Army! It is stationed currently in Sidon. So, my brother, would will you say?

Roka
10-07-2008, 23:22
Achaois rises

I would be honoured to accept this role my brother

Ibn-Khaldun
10-08-2008, 20:06
Antiochos nods to Achaios...

My Royal Army(OOC: check my SOT to see what units are in it!) is in Sidon. You can take it and if you see any Ptolemaioi armies near our borders then you can attack them. Just make sure that you end the turn inside Sidon! This way you will destroy some Ptolemaioi armies that they could use against the Strategoi who accepted to liberate Hierosolyma.

Celtic_Punk
10-08-2008, 21:31
Euripedes stands up Fellow ambassadors and Strategoi of the Arche. We have received disturbing news. An army of Pontus has breached our borders, and heads for Ipsos possibly! We must make the preemptive strike and destroy them before they can destroy our city! They say they are our allies, but what sort of allies march an Army into our lands? They have no enemies on the otherside of our borders, and they have not been invited to help fight the Ptolemaic forces. We must crush this threat before they have a chance to proceed with whatever plan they might have. Sarpedon, this is the perfect moment to show your mettle and worth to us. Crush this force that threatens the well-being and security to our lands! Afterwards, what man would question your authority on and off the battlefield? Please act quickly man, before it is too late. Pontus has played the cards of false friendship for too long, we must show them what it means to betray us."

The Celtic Viking
10-08-2008, 21:42
Sarpedon stands up.

"Now that I have been summoned to speak, I will take the chance to first apologize to my father, Antiochos. I know you have acknowledged my abilities, but I spoke in the heat of the moment and exaggerated a little when it comes to your appraisal. The rest stands true, though."

Sarpedon bows, then turns to Euripedes.

"I withhold my judgement on this for now. I have not been chancellor for long, and I have unfortunately not been brought up to speed with all the diplomatic deals we have yet. I know that Pontos has attacked us before, and that they prior to that had access to our lands. However, what I'm not sure about is if we re-established the military access that we had when we once again signed an alliance with them. If we did, then we can, unfortunately, not attack them for this, since they would merely be exercising their right per our agreement.

However, if we did not give them military access again, then I am in agreement with you. They should be struck back before they can lay siege to any of our cities. We should teach them not to enter our lands without our leave.

This is why I will turn to Basileus Antiochos, as he would be the one who signed said deal. Was military access for them in our lands included in the new alliance deal, and what is your opinion in the matter?"

OOC: I'm not using the computer I've got EB installed on, and won't be able to use that one until tomorrow, so I can't just check that myself right now.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-08-2008, 21:54
Well.. the deals with Pontus are.. complicated to say the least! I privately allowed them to use the Sardis-Tarsos highway some time ago but looks like they are violating my trust on this matter. I don't want to declare war on them yet. I would wait 'til the next Council Session. If they still move their armies in our land then there is only one solution - war! Also, since most of the Strategoi are busy with liberating Hierosolyma and it's people then we lack the number of men to lead our armies. It really hurts us in the east since the Parthian Army is currently without a Commander.
Although if Pontus do attack us now then only complete destruction of their kingdom could be the solution!

The Celtic Viking
10-08-2008, 22:02
"So we wait, which may be just as well. If I were to kick out the incursion myself, we would probably have to wait a while anyway, since my army is tired from the march, and this gives my men time to rest before the hypothetical battle. In any case, my satrapy is safe, as even if I would fail in battle, the Lydian army is in Ipsos as well, and should then be able to defeat any remaining Pontic forces."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-11-2008, 22:04
Antiochos rises..

To show how much I appreciate what Sarpeon have achieved I declare that Pergamon will become part of his Satrapy. May you govern that city well!

Also.. I hope that the siege of Halikarnassos will not be as bloody as the one in Pergamon was!

The Celtic Viking
10-11-2008, 22:43
A man wearing bloodstained battle gear, with a tired expression in his face, stepped forward to speak.

"Hail! strategos of the Arche, and hail! great and noble Basileus! My name is Cadeyrn, and as you can see" - with a smile he throws a look at his armour - "I come straight from battle, and a bloody one at that, as milord Antiochos pointed out. Yes, I come straight from Pergamon, and I am Sarpedon's most trusted and, if I may say so myself, most capable bodyguard as well, and he sent me here to speak for him while he recovers and get things under proper control in Pergamon.

So, in Sarpedon's name, I thank you, lord Antiochos."

Cadeyrn raised a hand in gesture towards Antiochos, and then sat down in Sarpedon's seat.

MerlinusCDXX
10-12-2008, 03:45
A Babylonian wearing the emblem of Parthava on his chiton stands to address the Basileus.

Hail, Basileus

My superior, Phanias Lydikes has passed on a report of a group of bandits causing trouble in Aria. He proposes to go flush them out himself, since the Strategos of the 1st Parthian Army is on the liberation mission for Hierosolyma. He reports that it should take 3 seasons to make the trip, and another 3 seasons to return, and has left behind enough of the Parthavan Defense force to keep order in the city.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-12-2008, 07:23
Antiochos nods..

I know about those rebels. It would make me happy if Satrap Lydikes destroys them. In return I'll see what I can do for his Satrapy.

Celtic_Punk
10-12-2008, 10:14
Euripedes stands up and looks at Cadeyrn
"Good fellow, you must get out of those clothes and armour at once! get yourself cleaned up, and relax. You've come from the gravest of places and deserve a bath.His eyes squint and mumbles 'Zeus knows he needs one' I welcome you to the council chambers!

Also on a more serious matter... What are the scout reports on the army of Pontus? It would be prudent for the Royal Army of the Chancellor to begin finding reinforcement to repair its numbers, as well as training to face a new enemy... Has any man here knowledege of the Pontic tacts and strategies? We must prepare for war. And make a quick decisive blow. Lest they grow to become a greater threat, and make alliance with the Aigyptians. Our Claws bear South. Our Vulnerable neck is to our North. The ports on the Northern coasts owned by the Pontic kingdom will add delicious tariffs to our coffers. We buy our time for now... But it should not be wasted... We plan, and prepare. If we intend to crush Pontus with a quick blow, we should send scouts and map the area. See what kind of forces we are dealing with, how big, and how many armies. One or two field engagements would be satisfactory, and could be enough to cripple their military for at least a decade. leaving us to focus on other tasks. Any ideas on this fellowmen?" The old man looks around the room, meeting eyes with a few "Cadeyrn what about you? you've probably seen more battle than any man here. What is your position on this matter?"

The Celtic Viking
10-12-2008, 18:19
"It is the same Pontic army that entered our lands before. They are in our lands, well, because they lost a battle by Nikaia, and it appears they chose this way to flee. There should be no reason to fear an attack from them - at least not from that army. Nevertheless, you are of course right that the Royal Army should be retrained. In fact, that work has already started, as Sarpedon says in his Chancellor Report.

As for attacking Pontos, well, I was told that the Basileus was against such a thing, if it could be avoided. WIth that I agree. Sarpedon's Royal Army is nowhere near in shape for war, and the only other military presence in the area that we have is the 1st Lydian Army, that has taken losses from the siege of Halikarnassos as well. I am not up to speed on the actual state of that army, but I doubt it is strong enough to take on Pontos by itself, even if it was brought back to full strength in a day. So a war against Pontos now is not realistic.

With that said, I don't trust Pontos. Not for one second. Sooner or later, we'll have to fight them, because it's not economical to always keep an army large enough to destroy them near "just in case", and they would betray us if we did not.

But if you excuse me, I, uh... have some cleaning up to do. If you need anything further from me, you know where I'll be - so don't go there."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-13-2008, 09:23
About that Pontic Army.. We should give an eye on them but not attack them. Before we do that we need to retrain our armies in Mikra Asia and make some kind of peace with the Ptolemaioi. I have said it before but wars on two fronts we can not win! Especially with our weak economy. We need some years of peace to build up our infrastructure.

The Celtic Viking
10-13-2008, 09:37
Cadeyrn returns to the council.

"Basileus, I would pitch in a word. Halikarnassos has now fallen too, and lord Sarpedon now requests that it should be added to his satrapy."

With that said, Cadeyrn retakes Sarpedon's seat, with a quick glance at Euripedes.

Celtic_Punk
10-13-2008, 11:41
Euripedes acknowledges the glance with a subtle nod. He waits some time in which no words are spoken and stands up, "Your Strategos is accumulating quite the sizable empire"Eurpides says jokingly"On a more serious note, I agree we must bide our time and obtain a ceasefire with Ptolemy before we venture to Pontus. However, Given that Asia Minor holds few nations of ambition or belligerence now that we've booted the Aigyptians out. It will not be so damaging to go to war with them at the same time. Pontus will require maybe Sarpedon's forces as well as the Lydian force to hold back. The Syrian Army and your highness' Royal Army can hold Ptolemy. as we now share a small border with them. The Parthian army will still have to deal with its current problems as is, till we can raise another field force. We have the forces to combat 2 fronts. Albeit if we suffer a disaster we will be forced to make do. But we would have to anyway. The Pontic threat is serious, but only if we do not crush it before it buds into an empire. We have recognized the threat. Prepare for war." Euripedes takes a sip of water and clears his throat, "On a more peaceful note, what are our agreements with the Arabians.Euripedes looks to his feet and scratches his long grey beard. The Sabean tribe to be precise? what are our relations... They are quite close to the Nile. We should seek good relations. They are quite brave from what I hear and could be useful allies. They have the potential to rule the Arabian peninsula. I'd rather have them on my side if they to expand as such. We should seek to get them on ourside, their proximity to the conflict means they will become involved eventually. Lets make them the thorn in Ptolemy's side. Euripedes grins It would make me smile, as I am sure our Basileus would aswell!" With that the old man lifts his right hand up with an openpalm gesturing for another speaker, and take his seat.

The Celtic Viking
10-13-2008, 12:20
Cadeyrn stands up, turning to Euripedes.

"Well, you can't say he hasn't deserved it, though. In fact, he's almost good enough to request yet another settlement on top of Halikarnassos for his satrapy! Such is his greatness.

As for the Sabaeans, we are already allied with them. Their stance towards the Ptolemaioi is still neutral, however."

Now turning to Antiochos, Cadeyrn continues.

"Basileus, it has come to Sarpedon's attention that Theodotas Lydikes has broken the laws of the Arche by setting the taxes of Halikarnassos himself. He leaves it to you to decide the appropriate punishment."

johnhughthom
10-13-2008, 20:19
A dusty messenger walks into the chamber, looking awed by his surroundings

Great Basileus I bear a message from your servant Polyxenidos Lykikos. He asks if the Jewish backers of our expedition to free Hierosolyma have any spies in the city who may be able to help us, or if not do we have any agents nearby who may be able to help us gain entrance to the city?

He awaits the Basileus reply before his long trek back across the desert

OOC: I haven't been at my PC for a while so couldn't check myself

Ibn-Khaldun
10-13-2008, 22:25
Antiochos sighs and starts to speak...

Cadeyrn, I thank you for letting me know about this recent lawbreaking. I thought that it was obvious that Strategoi can not set the taxes unless they have been given the right to do so. Lydikes haven't got that right. I also understand that he did it with the best intentions. However, I do have to punish him. I will take away one and half of his 'battle points'. This will reduce them to 2,5 and does not allow him to get the higher rank after the next victory.

Another matter have been brought to my attention also..

I give Halikarnassos to Sarpedon Syriakos' Satrapy. Hope you can deal with the rebellious citizens there fast though!

Turning to the messenger...

The agents are not mine to control. You really should ask this from the Chancellor. But I do hope Sarpedon will send and keep a spy near Hierosolyma until the town have been conquered!

The Celtic Viking
10-13-2008, 23:11
"Ah, yes, so it is. I will forward this message to lord Sarpedon, and I'm sure he will agree. I do not see any reason why he wouldn't.

Oh, and thank you, Basileus Antiochos! You needn't fear, for Halikarnassos is in good hands." With a smile on his face, Cadeyrn adds: "Lord Sarpedon knows how to handle a tough crowd."

The Celtic Viking
10-14-2008, 11:15
"I have been in touch with Sarpedon, and he reports that we do have spies working for us there, but they're outside the city, and the security there is tight. It is unlikely that the spies would be able to enter the city - they'd most likely just be caught and killed. Lets at least wait until just before you get there. This way we'll at least have an idea of the size of the garrison, and know any movements from deeper into the Ptolemaic land. That we would lose if they got killed."

Celtic_Punk
10-14-2008, 21:50
Euripedes stands up "Perhaps we require some sort of school of subterfuge? If our spies cannot breach tight security why do we hand out money to them with the budget so tight?"

The Celtic Viking
10-14-2008, 22:35
"With all due respect, Euripedes, it is never easy to breach tight security, no matter how well-trained you are. Operations like that are always very dangerous, and you need a good deal of experience, as well as luck, to pull it off. Unfortunately, experience is one of those things that's usually quite tricky to get if you're already dead, so sending them off on suicide missions is generally not a good idea."

johnhughthom
10-14-2008, 22:38
The messenger from Lykikos had just received his reply from the scribe and was about to leave when he heard Euripides comment

Great Lords, my master has been talking with his aides about the necessity for a Spymaster. Someone from amongst the strategoi who would coordinate the movements of our agents, he would have a budget from the chancellor and any strategoi who needed a spy sent somewhere would have to go through him.

He left the chambers quickly before any of the great men within could tell him to mind his place.

The Celtic Viking
10-14-2008, 22:44
"Messenger, the agents are all under the command of the Chancellor. There is no need for a "spymaster", and it would only complicate things further."

GMaximus
10-15-2008, 15:06
Slowly, another messenger entered the chambers of the Royal Council, this one obviously an improvised one - adorned in fine armor, well-built, only the lack of helmet and weapons indicate this man was at least informed of the manner of his task, and not tossed onto a horse with a brief mention of where to go and what to do before being sent off.

"Hail, Esteemed Basileus! Hail, Great Men of Arche Seleukeia!" The man bowed. His pronunciation of words made it obvious - this was a man recently from Hellas itself, possibly servant of a true Hellene as well.

"I bring word from my Lord, Mikithion Kalamou Phoinikikes. He sends apologies for not being present himself, for he only recently returned to the port of Antiocheia from Hellas, and the journey to Athenai and back has exhausted his body and spirit. He entrusted me to speak instead of him."

"My Lord Mikithion wishes to inquire if his Basileus has any tasks for him, for if not he desires to rest beyond the walls of Antiocheia."

Celtic_Punk
10-15-2008, 18:19
The old man once again stands up"Again friends I stand before you warning of coming war. Another Pontic army has appeared in our lands! We leave them be assuming they have proper business in our land, and they throw more men! Euripedes shakes his head, "They are clearly taking advantage of our trusting nature! We should make the prudent decision and engage! As soon as the army is refitted we should march to war! Pontus is a small nation and will be exhausted quickly We have enough troops in the south to be self-supporting, now is not the time to allow any more tactical blunders with Pontus. We are now on a ticking clock to engaging with them. We should make a pre-emptive strike! Your Highness, I ask of you to declare an emergency council with this new development. This can be construed as preparation of war. Now is the time for concrete discussion and decision on the coming war."

The Celtic Viking
10-15-2008, 19:57
Cadeyrn stands up and beckons with his hand to speak.

"My friend and master Sarpedon's army is still not up to strength, and the Lydian army hasn't been retrained yet for the simple fact that it's needed in Halikarnassos if we are to keep the public order there. Sarpedon himself needs to be there as well, since it is much thanks to his influence as a governor that it has not rebelled yet. This means that we have one damaged army tied down in one settlement, and another army understrength leaderless and tied down to Pergamon - which would riot if they left. Granted, there are three of us there, and one (or two at most, Sarpedon excluded) of them can be freed to lead what army could be summoned, but it would surely not be enough to defeat Pontos, whose military might should not be underestimated.

Another thing we must not forget is that we already have a manpower problem in Mikra Asia. Just reinforcing my RA and the Lydian Army as it is is extremely costly manpower wise, and if there were more casualties to account for, as a war against Pontos would bring, it would simply become impossible to replace them. We would not have the men.

Lets also not forget that we do not know their actual intention. It may very well be so that this new army is being sent to reinforce the other one in a second attempt to capture Nikaia.

So I stand firm in my opinion that a war against Pontos now isn't realistic. For this reason, I will not call for an emergency council on Sarpedon's behalf."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-15-2008, 23:06
Antiochos turns towards the messenger..

Tell your lord Mikithon that at the moment I don't have any orders for him but let's wait and see what will happen in the next year!

Turning to the rest of the room..

I don't think that Emergency Session is needed. Normal Council Session will begin about year from now and I think this thing with Pontus can wait for now.

Although, Sarpedon, I must say that Lydian Army is not there for you to use as keepers of the public order. It is your Satrapy, so you should find a way to make the people happy in Halikarnassos.

I also want to announce that later in autumn of this year I want the Lydian Army to move towards Mazaka. I have already ordered the Parthian Army to move to Ekbatana and I want to use it against independent town called Phraaspa. Their rulers have insolted us more than once. It is time to end their brief independence and bring them under our rule!

I should say that I have a plan that could eliminate the Pontic threat but I will wait before I will reveal it.

The Celtic Viking
10-15-2008, 23:55
"With all respect sir, Sarpedon is not here. I, Cadeyrn, is here in his stead.

Still, you're quite right, sir. The Lydian army's purpose is, of course, not to keep public order in Halikarnassos. That is why Sarpedon is in the process of raising a garrison for it as it is, but it's not big enough to keep control of the city by itself yet. I was merely pointing out the inevitable consequences of pulling it out now, sir."

Roka
10-16-2008, 15:20
Achaios Syriakos rises.

"My brother, I have just returned from Sidon where i have assumed command of your Royal Army, do you have sepcific goals for me? Or should i remain in the area of Sidon?"

Ibn-Khaldun
10-16-2008, 23:09
Dear Brother, I want you to crush those rebels near Damaskos. Part of the Royal Army have been sent to Antiocheia for retraining so wait before you move against the rebels until those units come back to Sidon. That's all at the moment

Incitatus
10-16-2008, 23:27
A dusty messenger walks in, wearied by the long ride from Syria

Basileus, I am Therapontigonos Platigidoros and have been instructed by my master Alexandros Syriakos to represent him here while he is away on campaign. I also bring news from the front: Alexandros' army was attacked by the Ptolemaioi, and after careful consideration of scouting reports and other information he declined battle and pulled his forces back. Alexandros believed that victory would have come at too high a cost, and he would not have been in a position to continue his mission. Individual battles are insignificant compared to the campaign in general.

johnhughthom
10-16-2008, 23:42
Another messenger arrived in the chambers, this time from Polyxenidos Lykikos.

My master would like to ask the Basileus what we are going to do next, a Ptolemaic army holds the river crossing towards Hierosolyma and any attack will likely come at huge cost. He asks if Alexandros consideration was self centered? Had he defended the attack he would have been able to hold one side of the crossing and the Ptolemaic army would have to cross the river, now we are in the situation of having to try a risky attack. Does he expect one of the other armies to do what he was afraid to? Or are we going to go another route?
My master says he will command an attack to let one of the other armies through, if his partner agrees, but such an attack will likely leave his army incapable of taking Hieroslyma. However his considerations are for the Arche Seleukia, not self interest.

The messenger sits, giving Alexandros' messenger a dirty look.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-16-2008, 23:50
Antiochos sighs..

Alexandros did what he thought was best for him and his army. Well.. what's done is done. I ask if there is anyone who want to attack the Ptolemaic Army? Besides Lykikos?

OOC: johnhughthom, if your partner agrees then I will attack that Ptolemaic army the next time I take the save. If not then I will move them around that army or just use console to move them away.

The Celtic Viking
10-17-2008, 12:49
Cadeyrn stands up and beckons to speak.

"Lord Antiochos, as you know well enough yourself, our treasury is not as huge as we would like it to be. Since we cannot expect any miracles from the gods, we must make do ourselves - and that means minimizing our expenditures and maximizing our profits. In other words, we must make sure that we are not paying for something that is not needed.

What I'm trying to say, sir, is that there are two units of hippakonstistai used in garrisons - one in Damaskos, and the other in Arbela. These are expensive in upkeep, and they are eating our resources. Would it not be a good idea to replace these with some cheaper units? They're not much good when fighting in cities, anyhow.

There is also our fleet to consider. If we do not need it in the time of a year, then it would be a lot cheaper to disband it and raise a new one when we do."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-17-2008, 22:13
After some words with the scribes Antiochos responds..

I agree that those Hippakontistai units should be either replaced or disbanded. But I do not agree with disbanding our fleet. That is our only option to reinforce Salamis in case Ptolemaioi attacks it. So we can not disband it.

Perhaps we should replace Peltastai and Akontistai units with something cheaper as well.. Perhaps with Toxotai?

Celtic_Punk
10-18-2008, 00:24
Euripedes stands up"My liege, A siege on Kypros would require less than year to prove effective. Our enemies are not silly or stupid, If we needed to reinforce Kypros, the time it would take to rally the army to the port and across the sea would give them more than ample time to storm the walls. They are in no rush to get it back as I am sure they see us trying to spearhead to Jerusalem. It would be a prudent measure to decommission our ships for merchant use where we can tax the crews earnings rather than pay them ourselves to do nothing. Otherwise I suggest we begin blockading the Ptolemaic ports of commerce. Reconsider your decision my lord. We do need the money"

Ibn-Khaldun
10-18-2008, 07:37
Antiochos sighs...

Good point you made here. I'll think about it.

kingsnake
10-18-2008, 11:09
Akakios Euthymios, Aratos' representative who hasn't been very active on the council for the last months, rose.

"Basileus, Strategoi and representatives, I receive notice of my lords advances with the Syrian Army. Aratos travel north to Karkathiotherka is almost finished and he expects to face those long surviving rebels in Autumn.
He also pressingly adds and hopes, after studying the new voted laws on the second Council session, that every single Strategoi do know the difference between Man of Great Potential and Man of the Hour adoptions. The first adoption type is the one you should reject.
After a succesful run against the rebels, my lord also wants to know, in advance, what are his next orders.
Thank you."

He sat.

Celtic_Punk
10-18-2008, 12:49
Euripedes stands up after the Basileus' reply
"Good sir, Tell Aratos that Cunobelinus will join him at the location of his choosing. He failed to arrive at Jerusalem first, and will be leaving Judea as soon as the brothers take the city. Please pass along a letter with his answer."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-18-2008, 20:06
Akakios Euthymios, tell to your master that once those rebels are dead then he hopes to see you near Babylon where a small band of people have rebelled against us too.

Also, Man of Great Potential offers happen only at the beginning of each season and Chancellor should decline those offers if they are proposed.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-20-2008, 14:53
Scribe walks to Antiochos and whispers something to him. After handing a message to Basileus the scribe leaves..

This is bad! These are bad news! Looks like the Pontic armies don't want to leave from our territory. Their General is near Ipsos, their Captains are near Mazaka and on the road between our holdings in Mikra Asia and Syria! This can not be tolerated! I wait until the Council Session begins but I can say this.. we WILL deal with them!

Another thing.. recently there have been a lot of uprisings against our rule all over the Arche! I ask that the Satraps would deal with those that are in their lands. I also support Satrap Phanias Laodikeias Lydikes who have done a good job fighting against rebels in his Satrapy and outside of it.

I also want to congratulate my son, Sarpedon, who have done a good job as a Chancellor. May the next one, whoever he will be, take lessons from his term!

Ibn-Khaldun
10-21-2008, 18:19
Antiochos clears his throat and says..

"I declare the Council Session open! It will stay open for debate and legislation until 18.00 GMT on Friday, October 24th, at which point there will be 48 hours allowed for voting."

Celtic_Punk
10-21-2008, 19:27
Euripedes stands up, the old man has a grim look on his face.
"Well, We have excellent reason to believe that Pontus, is now in league with our 'friendly' Southern neighbours. We cannot afford a lengthy fight with them. This is why I propose
Edict 1.1- Two armies will move and engage in a campaign to the Pontic heartland.
The Armies that will engage should be open to debate. But I say the Syrian army is a perfect choice. It is near by and its men are experienced enough to be successful. Lord Sarpedon should also lead his army to Pontus as soon as it is ready to engage. If the Royal Army cannot engage on this campaign, I suggest the Lydian army take its place. We cannot afford a lengthy war, we must make a quick and decisive blow. If not destroy Pontus, cripple her."
Euripedes looks to his similarly aged King for support, both knowing full well the volatility of the Arche's Northern neighbours.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-21-2008, 19:48
Antiochos nods to Euripides..

This is a good Edict but it should be Edict 3.1 and not 1.1. The first Council Session is long over ..

Antiochos smiles..

GMaximus
10-21-2008, 19:53
Mikithion walks into the Council Chambers, alone, still dressed in his persian-styled clothes, however no longer wearing a cuirass. The Hellene is rather sweaty, and weariness shows in his face - he had, after all, been riding with only several stops all the way from Kappadokia to Seleukeia.

With a bow to Basileus, he begins speaking, his Attike pronunciation making itself obvious, and highlighting his heritage of which Mikithion was so proud.

"I appologize for ariving slightly late, and in such a state; news of this caught me off guard in distant Kappadokia, I urged my horse as fast as I could, and, by the Gods, it seems the creature was Hermes himself, for here I am."

With another bow, Mikithion hurriedly claims the nearest seat for himself. Taking a few seconds to catch his breath, he nods in approval to the proposed edict, having overheard it before entering the Council Chambers.

"I fully agree that the King of Pontos needs to be made aware of his wrongs with a harsh slap. Or else the whole world might take our toleration for foolishness, not something we want our neighbours to think, especially when most of said neighbours are barbaroi and traitors."

Celtic_Punk
10-21-2008, 20:00
Euripedes waits for the new man to take his seat, then stands up again to address the King
"My apologies, EDICT 3.1 It seems in my old age I have begun to miss small details. No matter, I assure you I am not senile... Yet!" With that the old coon sits down.

johnhughthom
10-21-2008, 20:18
A small man stands, staring blankly in front of himself.

I am unsure who agreed with our celtic saboteurs mouthpiece, I have not heard the voice before, you are obviously new. You should make it clear you are seconding the motion, simply agreeing with it will not help bring it to a vote.

He sits again

GMaximus
10-21-2008, 20:24
"I appologize for my lack of knowledge, then, and wish to state that I indeed do second the proposal to campaign in Pontos." Mikithion leaned forward. By Athena, I hate all these court things... I know not what designs of the Gods brought me here, for it's obviously not my place.

The Celtic Viking
10-21-2008, 20:34
Sarpedon suddenly steps in through the doors.

"Ah... finally here again!" Sarpedon nods towards Antiochos."Father."

After taking his seat and whispering for a short while with Cadeyrn, Sarpedon stands up again.

"First of all, thank you, father. There have indeed been work to do during my run, and I have done my best to do the best for the Arche. I am proud to have been entrusted with such an honour, and I hope that my time as Chancellor has for once and all proven that I'm worthy of my title as Kleronomos Basileion."

Sarpedon turns to Euripedes.

"I would gladly offer my army in any military action against Pontos. It is still not full strength, but it only needs two units retrained and another raised, and it is set to go. This should all be done in Antiocheia, and there should be time to do this while me and the rest of my army march from Pergamon.

With this said, it should be obvious that I second Edict 3.1."

Ibn-Khaldun
10-21-2008, 20:55
Antiochos stands..

Now.. I want to propose the following Edicts:

Edict 3.2: If Hierosolyma is taken, a peace proposal will be offered to the Ptolemaioi. We also should propose trade rights to them and ask them to pay us 2500 mnai in the next 4 seasons.

This gives us the chance to fully concentrate our resources to our northern border.

Edict 3.3: Once Pontus have only 1-2 settlements left and without any larger military forces we will demand them to become our Protectorate.

This leaves us some help against Hayasdan if they decide to attack us. No need to fear that yet but we should be prepared to fight against Hayasdan. Also, to leave Pontus alive will be, considering our finances, better for us.

kingsnake
10-21-2008, 21:54
Strategos Aratos get his opportunity and speaks.

Greetings Basileus, Kleoronomos Basileus and Strategoi! Once I received notice of the new council session I immediately rode south from Karkathiotherka to participate in it. I also find it apropriate to update you first hand about my mission to the Caucasian mountains. Advances have been very little since I arrived at Karkathiotherka with the Syrian Army. Those rebels, as you well know, were left unperturbed once the 1st Council began! And they used their time effectively! They settled on the northeast mountains and have since destroyed any road leading to them from south or west. That region is now inaccessible as it is heavily forested. To their north and east there are only mountains. Local reports say they have been robing traders and pillaging small villages througout the region, before my arrival. It was impossible for me to reach them right away so I have been working on a way to get to them. My war efforts are often ambushed and are improving very slowly. I know that they are receiving resources from villages close to their settlement. If those villages are being forced to feed those scumbags or not I do not know. Finnaly, I do suspect that they are receiving support through the mountains from Hayasdan.
The Syrian Army went through alot of problems the last year, but I predict the army will be ready to tackle those pigs upon my arrival, after this Council.
I have no other news. Now I want to second eddict 3.3.

He sat with a grave look in his face.

Ok now let me translate that to RL :) I'm sorry I couldn't take the save to attack the rebels but I was having some annoying connection problems on the last 2 days. Hopefully they have been resolved.

Incitatus
10-21-2008, 23:06
Therapontigonos rises slowly and speaks

I see wisdom in the Basileus' proposal regarding our Ptolemaioi friends. I would, however, beg a small clarification: is the 2500 mnai to be paid each season as a regular tribute or perhaps in small installments amounting to 2500 in total? Regardless of the answer, I second Edict 3.2.

As for the second proposal, I see good intentions but unfortunately no wisdom. I believe that any campaign against the "Kingdom" of Pontus must be quick and devistating - amounting to no less than the entire destruction of the royal house. If we allow them to live, they will assuredly rise up one day and attack us in a vulnerable area. I am not sympathetic to their cause and see no reason why we should not take the lands outright.

he sits and awaits a response from the council

navarro951
10-22-2008, 00:23
Fresh and rested since his campaigning with the Lydian Army Panaitolos Ankyrikos arrives quite late attempting to take his seat directly and unnoticed

He stands, "Forgive me Great Basileus and Mighty Chancellor for my late arrival but the ride from our station was not easy going. I would like to first second both edicts 3.1 & 3.2 and I think my Commander and I would be honored to send our men into battle with Pontus should it become necessary. While we are still finishing up minor retraining and regrouping after taking Halikarnassos, I know full well the men are in good form and will do their duty fit. That is all"

The General sits and rests his head

-Edit- I would also like to report that to due to a busy week he will be having, Chaotix (Theodotas Termessou Pisidikes) will be leaving the Lydian Army in my stead and I am to march for Nikaia

Roka
10-22-2008, 00:46
Achaios Syriakos rises

"Strategos of the Arche, i would like to second edicts 3.2 and 3.3, i see the reason behind my esteemed colleagues apprehension however and would like to propose that we should keep an army local to the pontic lands just in case they decide to rise against us once more."

00jebus
10-22-2008, 14:59
I'd just like to congradulate prince sarpedon on an effective term

*bows towards him*

Edict 3.2, though the terms are generous, they may be refused, and we should show the world that we can strike when and where we choose, therefore I propose

Edict 3.4 if the terms in edict 3.2 are offered and refused, a seaborn raid on either Alexandria or Cyrene may take place, what happens to the city is in the hands of the conquering general
then, simmilar terms will be offered again to the Ptolemaioi, at the chancallor's discretion.

Celtic_Punk
10-22-2008, 17:13
"Cunobelinus proposed a similar edict to that. In his place I second Edict 3.4.
This should take a backseat to the Pontic campaign. The logistics of a amphibious assault is horrendous. More warships are needed to insure safe transit. Pontic gold will pay the cost nicely."
The man stares into the Mysikes' eyes
"The young Mysikes brother should be aware that what happened in Judea was a traitor to the Ptolemies. The Traitor was caught and executed by Arrhenides Gedrosinaos Cunobelinus himself."

MerlinusCDXX
10-22-2008, 17:27
Basileus, Strategoi,

I would first like to congratulate Chancellor Sarpedon on his term, and announce that I will be running for chancellor this term. Second, I thank Basileus Antiochos for the confidence placed in me in governing the nomad frontier, and announce that I am considering qualified strategoi for a position as my aid in the governing of the Satrapy of Parthava. And finally, I would like to second Edict 3.3.

I would also consider seconding Ed. 3.4 if the terms would be altered to exclude the possible sacking of Alexandria. Kyrene or perhaps Memphis could be our target instead. I would hesitate to take Alexandria at this time, as we would have to hold the city, sacking it would destroy our legitimacy and reputation in the wider world. We are not in a position that attempting to hold Alexandria at this time would leave us in any other position than dangerously overextended.

Roka
10-22-2008, 17:37
Achaios agan rises

Nephew!

Please forgive my ignorance, i would also like to congratulate you on your term as chancellor and i hope that you will use the managerial skills you have exhibited during your duty when you do finally become Basileus, even though I hope not to live to see that day.

I would also like to suggest that I do not believe that Alexandria is a viable target for us to attack unless it is to be held for the good of the Arche, we would be no better than barbaroi if we were to sack a centre of learning such as this.

With that he sits down and glances across at his brother and hoping he did not take offence at the mention of his death

MerlinusCDXX
10-22-2008, 18:00
Thank you, Achaios, that's exactly what I was thinking. However, the Ptolemaioi do need to be reminded that snubbing our generosity carries penalties, to that end, I propose Edict 3.5

if the terms in edict 3.2 are offered and refused, a seaborn raid on either Memphis or Cyrene may take place, what happens to the city is in the hands of the conquering general
then, similar terms will be offered again to the Ptolemaioi, at the chancellor's discretion. And that the independent city of Petra be taken from the Eleutheroi (or the Ptolemies if they are the current owner) to use as a support base for any raid on Memphis, if we have the finances to employ any of the leftover troops from the liberation of Hierosolyma, then those men should be re-enlisted for that task.

GMaximus
10-22-2008, 18:52
Supressing a sigh, Mikithion rose from his seat.

"I second Edict 3.5. While the Ptolemaios and his barbaroi ilk indeed do need to be brought to realization who are the true heirs of Alexandros, Alexandria is not a city to be sacked during a sea raid if we are to establish the Arche as the uncontested, rightful heir of Alexandros as She should be."

That said, the Hellene dropped back on his seat, seemingly interesting himself with the back of his hand.

Roka
10-22-2008, 19:07
i would aldo like to second Edict 3.5, and let us hope that ptolemy will learn some humility in the event of hierosylima being added to our glorious empire