PDA

View Full Version : Historical articles or essays

Respenus
10-06-2008, 20:41
We have to make a presentation in my English class about something connected to social sciences, yet at the same time it has to be something that we enjoy doing/reading about.

So I have been wondering if any of you historians here know of any good internet sources? The time frame isn't really that important, I'm "almost" interested in every single one of them.

One more thing. The thing has to be bloody long, that is around 15 A4, Times new Roman, size 12 LONG! Well, I knew that college had a lot of reading involved.

I thank everyone in advance.

Tellos Athenaios
10-06-2008, 21:54
Something out of the ordinary: http://www.lowcountries.nl/antwerpen2008/2008_antwerpen_bavel.pdf

Tarkus
10-06-2008, 22:20
We have to make a presentation in my English class about something connected to social sciences, yet at the same time it has to be something that we enjoy doing/reading about.

Good God, Respenus -- Could you be any more vague in your inquiry??? And, to top it all off, it's to be about something YOU are interested in...!! Do your own homework, my friend...

With such ambiguity, Tellos' response (while admittedly interesting, in a weird sort of way) is only the beginning...

oudysseos
10-07-2008, 10:22
How about a comparison (from a Sociology point of view) of the Ancient and Modern Olympics? Could be interesting and long and would actually have something to do with the EB forum.

Respenus
10-07-2008, 17:18
Good God, Respenus -- Could you be any more vague in your inquiry??? And, to top it all off, it's to be about something YOU are interested in...!! Do your own homework, my friend...

With such ambiguity, Tellos' response (while admittedly interesting, in a weird sort of way) is only the beginning...

I can't leave an insult like this get away, without me responding to it.

For your information, I have always done and I will always do my own homework by MYSELF! I am a man who believes in hard work and the importance of studying, so it would be against my own ethics if I did something like that. And believe it or not I did my homework, all by MYSELF (Good God Tarkus, can you believe it, I did something all on my own).

If you read my post again and not just dive straight into criticism you'll see that I the first paragraph is only descriptive, while the second one poses a question. I also tried to make a joke out of the whole studying thing, yet it looks like you though it was something I meant seriously.

I by the way, thank Tellos Athenaios for his help. It's an interesting article and I'm sure it will some in handy some time into the future.

And Tarkos, all I wanted to know was if someone who a good source of historical articles, not do my homework for me. My university offers good coverage in digital media, including internet databases which store said articles. I though that the people here, who have far more knowledge that I and who work in the line of work knew more about internet sources than I.

oudysseos
10-07-2008, 17:48
My dear Sir, there is a very extensive links page on the europa barbarorum home page. https://www.europabarbarorum.com/links.html

There is also a decentish bibliography https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70698 that some handsome young man was good enough to put together.

Knock yourself out, dude.

Respenus
10-07-2008, 18:47
My dear Sir, there is a very extensive links page on the europa barbarorum home page. https://www.europabarbarorum.com/links.html

There is also a decentish bibliography https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70698 that some handsome young man was good enough to put together.

Knock yourself out, dude.

:laugh4:

I am truly sorry for this laugh Oudysseos, yet I am sorry to inform you I know of the EB bibliography for a long time. As far as the links are concerned, I do thank you, as I seem to have forgotten their existence even though I have to myself that I should remember them. Well, such is the course of Life. I thank you for you help, as I have already begun work on a chapter from a book I found on Google (Joll, Origins of the First World War, 2nd edition).

Tarkus
10-07-2008, 21:55
Respenus -- As somebody who spent almost ten years in college, receiving advanced degrees in three disciplines, I am sympathetic to the pain imposed by writing papers and putting together presentations. All part of the game...and continues as such when you enter the professional world, by the way...

Unfortunately, your response did nothing to bolster your original position. I am more than supportive of those like yourself who look to gain information and knowledge from a community of dedicated experts such as those that populate this forum. As a relative newbie to the world of ancient Greek and Roman military history, and their associated simulations (20th century has been my thing for nearly three decades), I highly respect the likes of konny, MAA, bovi and Foot (to name just a scant few that come to mind at the moment) for their expertise. So by all means -- use the resources that are available to you!

But to post a message saying, in essence, "I'd like to know where to go for information on something connected to social sciences that interests me" is nothing more than a waste of other people's time. How is the EB Community supposed to respond to that??!!?? Oh yeah...by pointing you to information on the socio-economic origins of cleanliness among the Dutch. One option down, 12,846,390 more to go...And I guess there's always Google...Do you know what I'm saying? It just ends up sounding like you want other people to do your work for you. A couple days of your own Internet-based research, targeting keywords related to topics that interest YOU, will give you more than enough grist for the compositional mill.

To enhance this research experience, you could then use this forum to ask something like "I'm really interested in the impact of (Process X) on (Social Factor Y) in (Historic Period Z) -- anybody have an idea on where I could collect some good information on this topic?". Using this approach, I'm pretty sure you'd have a few more replies than what you've got to this point.

Enough preaching...feel free to come back when you have a more well-formulated question. Who knows, I may even be able to help you!

EDIT: I must add Oudysseos to my list of those I hold in special high regard :bow: ...the Bibliography you and others have put together here has been an incredible resource for me...