PDA

View Full Version : OT: Odissey, the movie

-Praetor-
10-18-2008, 17:21
It sems that beside "Anabasis", there are also plans to film a version of Homer`s "Odissey"... in space! :inquisitive:

Check this out:

Brad Pitt and Warner Bros are planning to take Homer's epic poems to the screen once again - in a version of The Odyssey set in space.

While Pitt donned leather skirt, sandals and armour to play the great warrior Achilles for the studio's Troy in 2004, Warner Bros plan to take a futuristic look at the great journey of Odysseus.

Played by Sean Bean in Troy, Odysseus was the king of Ithaca and devised the Trojan Horse which aided the Greeks' razing of Troy in the Homeric poem The Iliad.

The Odyssey tells of Odysseus' decade-long journey home from the Trojan war, during which he is beset by numerous gods, storms, the many-headed monster Scylla, the whirlpool Charybdis and the seductive bird-women known as the Sirens, among others.

However, the new project, which Pitt will produce and most likely star in, will not be set in the ancient world but in outer space, centuries in the future.

Mad Max director George Miller is in negotiations to direct, according to Variety, though he may still direct Warner Bros' Justice League film. Link (http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/brad%20pitt%20and%20warner%20bros%20plan%20a%20space%20odyssey_1083812)

Honestly, I don`t know what to think. :uhoh2:

Dutchhoplite
10-18-2008, 18:57
It doesn't have to be a bad thing. A lot of classic works have been modernised and some quite good :)

russia almighty
10-18-2008, 22:11
This potentially could be extremely badass.

Socy
10-18-2008, 22:25
At first, I thought "Oh snap! That sounds like, bad". But as others said, giving it a second thought I realized that it COULD turn out pretty good. I mean, in my eyes it wont BE "The Odyssey" but it could become a nice modern "interpretation" of it, or a "remake". Anyway, its a pretty cool tale, and it could work out in a "sci-fi"-environment I think, mainly beacuse its a "ship" etc. I'll wait and se, but I'm excited, though I would prefer a "historical" movie about it, or a trilogy, or something like that.

Ca Putt
10-18-2008, 22:51
well at least we won't be able to complain about historical inaccuracys :D

I personally like the idea of it i could already imagine sci-fi adaptations of some of Ulysses' adventures. like worm holes, black holes and freaky aliens :rolleyes3:

desert
10-18-2008, 23:16
So Charybdis is a black hole, that's for sure.
What would the extraterrestrial equivalents of the other characters in the story be?

Cbvani
10-18-2008, 23:18
So Charybdis is a black hole, that's for sure.
What would the extraterrestrial equivalents of the other characters in the story be?

Obviously Circe is a greened-skinned space babe.

desert
10-18-2008, 23:23
Hot alien chicks is always something I can get behind. :2thumbsup:

Double entendre intentional.

Tyrfingr
10-18-2008, 23:41
Whether the Odyssey will be in an classic or modernistic tone, it will surely suck with Brad Pitt as the lead...

ludwag
10-18-2008, 23:57
a look very much forvard to it, but why post it here?

Divie
10-19-2008, 00:22
Anyone remember the cartoon/animation ulysses? Can't remember if it had any homeric storylines but it was set in future (I think :inquisitive: ) and I certainly used to love it :) for some reason I want to say it flicked back and forward in time (futuristic and ancient) but that could just be my brain decaying! can anyone else remember this or am I simply :dizzy2: catchy theme tune too!

gran_guitarra
10-19-2008, 05:41
Wasn't there a book that took the general concept, an incredibly long and perilous journey for a weary war hero, and did it, but in space/the future. I have it at home, it's called Cross the Stars, by David Drake.

Damn, I remember that like 6 or 7 years after reading the dang thing. :S

desert
10-19-2008, 05:45
Sort of related. (http://oddlots.digitalspace.net/guests/lucian_true_history.html) And incredibly amusing.

Gaivs
10-19-2008, 07:02
That sounds awesome. Not obviously telling the Odyssey story, but the same themes. Lost, trying to get home, i can see a wife waiting for him at home like Penelope, He will fight space cyclops' and stuff. Would be wicked.

kekailoa
10-19-2008, 08:45
Desert.

I read the 'sort of related' article.

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. It's like some Greek space-crazed farmer (with exceptionally good grammar) decided to write a great epic.

It was amazing.

Hax
10-19-2008, 09:30
2011: A Space Odyssey?

desert
10-19-2008, 18:38
Desert.

I read the 'sort of related' article.

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. It's like some Greek space-crazed farmer (with exceptionally good grammar) decided to write a great epic.

It was amazing.

I bet it would make an awesome movie. Giant-turnip slingers FTW!

bovi
10-21-2008, 18:46
I think "O brother, where art thou" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/) is an excellent modern version of the Odyssey. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet. I think this in-space version could be good too.

Spendios
10-21-2008, 19:13
Anyone remember the cartoon/animation ulysses? Can't remember if it had any homeric storylines but it was set in future (I think :inquisitive: ) and I certainly used to love it :) for some reason I want to say it flicked back and forward in time (futuristic and ancient) but that could just be my brain decaying! can anyone else remember this or am I simply :dizzy2: catchy theme tune too!

Yeah I watched this cartoon when I was child "Ulysses 31" and I loved it too. If I recall correctly Ulysses had a sort of lightsaber...

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=G6NBAZrdjQw

Celtic_Punk
10-21-2008, 19:38
it has potential. but it also has potential to be a big steaming pile of shit. well lets hope its not the latter.

keravnos
10-21-2008, 20:48
That reminds me of the following...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8&feature=related

I loved it, as I was just a small kid. Not sure how Space Odyssey will work, but I only have fond memories of Ulysses 31st century, as that cartoon series was called.

I will keep an open mind on this. Besides, anyway you retell "Odyssey" it still remains a heck of a story.

Conradus
10-22-2008, 19:51
There exists a comic series where the Greek gods are actually giant metaphysical beings, Odysseus travels between planets in spaceships called 'triremes', etc.
That comic isn't even that bad.

Foot
10-22-2008, 20:58
Ha! Best depiction of Greek Mythology in a science fiction setting is Battlezone (1998), one of the best games created as well. I wish I could still get it to run on my computer though.

Foot

bovi
10-24-2008, 23:39
Huh? I completed Battlezone, and I can't remember any reference to the Odyssey... Russia and US fighting over the moon, and aliens come to wipe them both? No, can't see that connection.

Battlezone II is also pretty nice, I got it in the bargain bin.

Foot
10-24-2008, 23:56
Well more Greek Myth in general. All the furies coming down stealing the dead greek soldiers to put into their bio-metal. Hell that was full of Greek Myth. Loved that game. Didn't get along with BSII, it was far too restrictive. Following orders was just a waste of time.

Foot

Gleemonex
10-25-2008, 01:46
I wish I could still get it to run on my computer though.

No luck with DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1)?

And re: rad Pitt as Odysseus. I like Brad Pitt best when he's playing an arrogant prick (viz. Achilles, Tyler Durden), because that's his natural territory. Odysseus is deep, flawed, passionate, and cunning. But he's not an arrogant prick.

I'm worried.

-Glee

desert
10-25-2008, 01:54
I'm more worried about him messing up the movie adaptation of World War Z, my favorite book of all time.

Then again, Straczynsky is writing the script, so...

antisocialmunky
10-26-2008, 16:04
I'm more worried about him messing up the movie adaptation of World War Z, my favorite book of all time.

Then again, Straczynsky is writing the script, so...

Yes. WWZ > Odyssey right now.

Anyways, could be epic, could be fail.