PDA

View Full Version : persian army

ludwag
10-21-2008, 13:45
hi, I am wondering what kinds of troops the persian army used? is there any place I can read about it? what kind of infantry was most common in the persian empire?

I only know about the elite troops and the elephants and chariots and stuff.

/Bean\
10-21-2008, 16:27
TPC will make an essay for you, though he has written about this many times before. Do a quick search

Matinius Brutus
10-21-2008, 17:17
Would you post a link if you find the info!

desert
10-21-2008, 21:47
Funny you should mention that! I made a report on that exact subject for a History class a year ago.

Did it in 6 hours on the day before it was due. I still got an A+ though - my teacher was such an affable old man:beam::2thumbsup:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OET4A5VD

PS: No flaming please, I know that it sucks.

Dutchhoplite
10-21-2008, 22:11
Just look for Achaemenid army or Achaemenid empire on Google or Google books. You should get a few hits ;)

Very interesting subject :yes:

Aemilius Paulus
10-22-2008, 03:55
Funny you should mention that! I made a report on that exact subject for a History class a year ago.

I wish I could write on such topics in my history class. I am still very much fond of history, but I am taking American History this year, which stinks because I have already had American History for something like four years and it is, in general, not as interesting as European history. So what kind of history was the class about when you did that report?

desert
10-22-2008, 04:12
Well, the class is called Global History. All students are required to take Global History 1 and 2, each being a semester long(2 semesters per year). Then, you have a choice of AP European History or Global 3 and 4. Right now, I am in GH 3.

This has nothing to do with what you asked, but GH3 is actually an advanced placement class, although if you get below a 91 average on it you will be placed in regular GH 4 the next semester. Also, it will be recorded on your transcript as regular Global History, because apparently it's better for colleges to see you do poorly in a regular class instead of an advanced placement class.

I have no idea why I said all that.:sweatdrop:

And to answer your question: GH 1 and 2 focus on prehistory up until the beginning of the High Middle Ages.

Aemilius Paulus
10-22-2008, 04:17
Yeah, I am taking numerous AP & DE (Dual Enrollment) classes as well. If you don't mind answering, where do you go to school and what grade are you in?

desert
10-22-2008, 04:23
Sophomore year, Stuyvesant HS, the greatest polis ever built by men.~;)

Would you mind reciprocating?

Aemilius Paulus
10-22-2008, 04:26
Stuyvesant HS

Surely not the renowned Stuyvesant High School of NYC?!?

desert
10-22-2008, 04:32
Wow, people have heard of it in Florida?

Although now my whole mysterious "greatest polis ever" schtick is finished. :shame:

Aemilius Paulus
10-22-2008, 04:45
Amazing. That's supposed to be a really great and selective school, so how did you get such a rather lenient teacher? I wouldn't mind hearing some things about your school, if you have time. I always thought it was one of the best in the country, right? As for the "greatest polis", I guessed you were an American and eventually realized that it was either NYC, the world's greatest city (in terms of size or population - it almost the first), or simply your hometown city which you think is very great, as in very nice.

I personally am in my junior year (and 15 years old), attending West Florida High School of Advanced Technology in Pensacola, Florida. It is an "A" school with that emphasizes knowledge in certain career fields (we get to choose them) as well as computer skills (we have a desktop and a laptop for each student in every class). It is also selective, just like your school, with certain criteria for each applicant student and a lottery (only for those who passed the criteria) on top of that.

desert
10-22-2008, 04:54
Huh. I'm looking to get into a career in computers, but am not doing so well in the Computer Science class here. I just can't seem to get into the mindset of a 'computer scientist'.

Anyway, there are plenty of lenient teachers here.

There are really three categories: The strict, the lenient, and the insane. And by insane, I mean literally insane.

I've had one of the insane one's myself.

By all means, ask away, but it would probably be better to do so via PM.

We've already hijacked the thread as it is.:oops:

Aemilius Paulus
10-22-2008, 04:56
By all means, ask away, but it would probably be better to do so via PM.

We've already hijacked the thread as it is.:oops:

Yeah, my most sincere apologies to the other Orghers, and I am not being sarcastic BTW. Sometimes you just get carried away.

Apgad
10-23-2008, 01:23
All this high school talk makes me feel really really old...:embarassed: