PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest Metropolis!

Tartaros
10-24-2008, 13:03
Hi everybody,
i want to know: whats your biggest Metropolis ever!

for me, in my current seleucid campaign:
https://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5829/seleukeiapc6.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
https://img232.imageshack.us/img232/seleukeiapc6.jpg/1/w1280.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img232/seleukeiapc6.jpg/1/)

Maion Maroneios
10-24-2008, 13:12
WOW MAN!!! You deserve a balloon for this: :balloon:

Maion

Tartaros
10-24-2008, 13:19
Whow :beam:
thanx a lot!!!!:jumping:

Cbvani
10-24-2008, 13:36
Whow :beam:
thanx a lot!!!!:jumping:

I had something close in my Romani campaign. Rome had over 40k citizens. I don't know if I hit 45k though. that's impressive.

And when the great gov. kicked the bucket.... Population dropped like a stone. It was quite an exodus, apparently.

Tartaros
10-24-2008, 13:58
i try to train a good successor for it - they have to pay tax for my army!

Maion Maroneios
10-24-2008, 16:46
Yeah, such huge cities tend to give you a LOT of tax income. Especially good, in your case, is to train Successor units like Argyraspidai and Hetairoi there:yes:

Maion

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
10-24-2008, 20:11
And he has Katoikiai built and Very High Tax Rate set. I believe Alexandria in my current campaign has 39,000.

Anyway, I think the game counts able men in warrior age, not all inhabitants, multiplicate it with say four so you got 180,000 inhabitants. Then multiplicate it with your preferred roleplayed multiplicator that you use for armies (very frequently 10) and you have a 1,800,000 metropolis. I'd say your Seleukeia exceeds Rome in the prime of her existence. :2thumbsup:

desert
10-24-2008, 20:26
But still, how can a region with say 4,000 men(rped) of fighting age suddenly grow to 40,000 men in 5years? I am assuming that they don't spring out of their fathers' heads fully grown and armored.

Regions should have a fixed pop in 272 BC with a growth rate dependent on population size. Then you could train 240,000 men in 25 years, and have about 100,000 mature to fighting age in that period. That example is completely arbitrary, btw.

SwissBarbar
10-24-2008, 21:08
in my current roman campaign (year 182 BC) Taras is the biggest City in the empire, bigger than Rome itself. 34'000 men in warrior age, so in Centurio Nixalsverdrus calculating system (wich is very logical, i roleplay it too this way, it can't be the whole population becaus you could recruit them all ;-) ) that would make 1'360'000 inhabitants.

craziii
10-24-2008, 21:51
you guys are nutty, I never manage to get above 30k in pop :(

SwissBarbar
10-24-2008, 21:55
just don't train troops in every town ^^ of course it depends on the dimension of your empire. the bigger it is, the more cities don't bother with troup training and the more big towns you get. And with factions like SPQR, Seleukeia or the Ptolemaioi you get sooner big cities than with Casse or Sweboz who start with small towns

desert
10-24-2008, 21:57
I use the City Mod, so it is pretty much impossible for me to get above 35,000 population except by cheating.

ludwag
10-25-2008, 00:31
hey, I had much more than 45 000 population in kart-hadast, just recently. But then my faction leader died and stuff. Why is this so big thing? I am sure I can easily make a new population like that again.

LordCurlyton
10-25-2008, 02:19
Yeah I've surpassed 50k more than once. If you get the right traits and ancillaries 40k is very attainable in fertile areas. All the major cities should be able to exceed 40k with minimal effort. Can't say as I've every busted 60k, and 50k is not an easy feat.

gamegeek2
10-25-2008, 02:49
I bet the Sweboz could easily pull it off with the temples of Frowon if they conquered a city or naturally grew one. I tend to sack cities that are out of culture.

teh1337tim
10-25-2008, 03:39
*looks at my roman campaign*

ahem.. i think my roma has 57k inhabitants... with 0.5% pop +
it might just by that my faction leader has max influence/managements and 6 command stars, triumphator consul and lots of traits for soldier and farmer...
hell every city in my roman empire has 30-40k with italy and sicially hovering around 40-49k
Quite easy to accomplish after a hundred years of construction etc
(i send sharp/charis characters to iberia to take control of provinces and 16 years later i send them back and send new FM's there... all will have very good managements/traits etc)

now.. to conquear ptolemaio/makedonia and seleukid...

satalexton
10-25-2008, 05:23
oh god, think of all the cash i can make by sacking roma....

hoom
10-25-2008, 07:15
One can of course force-migrate a bunch of population via recruitment of groups of cheap but numerous troops like akontistai (works best on Huge unit size).
Probably not the best idea to do it too much but can be useful to bolster a threatened and small but strategically important city or one that you drained the population out of by recruiting too much.

llib
10-25-2008, 09:46
As for recruiting, I only recruit in either cities with superb morale bonuses and top level temples of seleukos, or only troops not trainable in any such city. I even first go to top level of foreign baracks type(just if it makes sense of course) under gov.4, then switch to gov.1-2(the most domesticated available) and build these faction barracks, and then switch for permanent gov.2.
So in end I get of course bonus armor for blacksmith, and then seleukos temple morale bonus, government morale bonus, and local specialty morale bonus. These cities being Babylon, West-coast minor asia cities, Persepolis(although this one is somehow not developed for military production as of yet) and the city in... Media? Well one north of Seleukia(and above susa) which has extra morale I think from temple.
Then when Ankyra is available with appropriate gov., barracks and seleukos temple then there I build also the Galatian troops there, and some other local troops on some few other places, and of course at start also some troops on borders as war is very threating in the eastern part to wait for reinforcements from center.
As for highest ammount of people - not sure, but 45000 should be reachable. I prefer priests of Marduk for tak/order benus over pop. bonuses though, not sure what is worth more if extra % of tax or extra thousands of citizens. Any statistics anybody? :-)

Tartaros
10-25-2008, 10:55
Hey,
lets have a competition ~:cheers:

only rule: no cheating population and stuff

a picture and then then dingdingding!!!

abou
10-25-2008, 11:27
Generally, there four cities that immediately come to mind with an ability to hold a massive population: Carthage, Roma, Alexandreia, and Seleukeia. Congrats to Maion. I would be interested to see what would happen if he were to lower the tax rate, but funds could become an issue.

For those of you who are curious, Alexandreia and Seleukeia were rated as truly world-class cities due to their size and magnificence with Antioch managing to eek its way into the same category (at least that is the impression I have due to Strabo's writings). Naturally, Alexandreia became an incredibly important city in the east along with Antioch, but it would have been interesting to see how Seleukeia would have developed if it hadn't been burned by Trajan let alone the trouble it would receive again from the Romans.

Maion Maroneios
10-25-2008, 12:26
And he has Katoikiai built and Very High Tax Rate set. I believe Alexandria in my current campaign has 39,000.

Anyway, I think the game counts able men in warrior age, not all inhabitants, multiplicate it with say four so you got 180,000 inhabitants. Then multiplicate it with your preferred roleplayed multiplicator that you use for armies (very frequently 10) and you have a 1,800,000 metropolis. I'd say your Seleukeia exceeds Rome in the prime of her existence. :2thumbsup:
I do the same in my campaigns and I've also thought about this numerous times. You see, when you ''bleed dry'' a settlement, meaning you recruit the male population, you get to a point that only a handful remain as a standard. This means that population represents only the battle-ready male population, so in order to get a more realistic number, you would have to count all other inhabitants that are not battle-ready like elderly people, youngsters and women. Especially the latter would be at least 3 times more than the men. Then multiply with your preferred multiplier (best would be 10) and you get a more realistic number.

Let's do an example just for fun. Say you have a settlement with 1.500 RTW inhabitants. There would be at least 1.000 men who cannot fight due to health problems or age, 3.000 women and 2.000 children. If we say T is the real total population, then we would have: T=(1.500+1.000+3.000+2.000)*10<=>T=7.500*10<=>T=75.000 total inhabitants. If this number seems too much, then you could multiply with a smaller number, like 5 or something.

Maion

Ibn-Khaldun
10-25-2008, 15:59
Have you forgot the slaves that lived in those cities? Also, this thing here will not work with the 'barbarians'. Having a barbarian town with population of 2000 would mean that there would be about 100.000 people living there in real life!(200*5*10=100.000) As far as I know, no barbarian town in those times had so many people. I could be wrong though.

SwissBarbar
10-25-2008, 16:15
yeah, but EB is about making your own barbarian town, everything is possible ;-)

The Persian Cataphract
10-25-2008, 17:18
Generally, there four cities that immediately come to mind with an ability to hold a massive population: Carthage, Roma, Alexandreia, and Seleukeia. Congrats to Maion. I would be interested to see what would happen if he were to lower the tax rate, but funds could become an issue.

For those of you who are curious, Alexandreia and Seleukeia were rated as truly world-class cities due to their size and magnificence with Antioch managing to eek its way into the same category (at least that is the impression I have due to Strabo's writings). Naturally, Alexandreia became an incredibly important city in the east along with Antioch, but it would have been interesting to see how Seleukeia would have developed if it hadn't been burned by Trajan let alone the trouble it would receive again from the Romans.

By this time, Seleucia was largely merged with the city of Opis, at this time known as Ctesiphon; we have to take this with a pinch of salt and count it as hyperbole. Septimius Severus came to Ctesiphon, and allegedly took no less than 100,000 prisoners and sacked the royal palace, bringing enough loot to stall an upcoming economical crisis for several decades. It does simply not ring compatible with the remarkable rebounding of Seleucia-Ctesiphon during the Partho-Sassanian era; we hear of similar accounts of Sassanian King of Kings Shâpûr I sacking Antioch, deporting its populace to a newly constructed city known as Shâpûr Vêh-Antiâkh, which translates pompously into "Shapur's superior Antioch". There were many sieges of Antioch to come. There is some disagreement; Avidius Cassius is believed to have brought the city into final decline by 163 CE.

However in any case, Seleucia, just like its later geographical sibling, Ctesiphon, easily reached population caps well over the hundred thousands. 600,000 individuals at one time in Seleucia, is a commonly cited figure (Which I must verify one day if time should allow me, as it seems dubious and wrongly attributed whereas Alexandria would seem more apt), while Ctesiphon at 361 CE was peaking at 250,000 individuals, and later 622 CE at 500,000 individuals, at the time the de facto most populous metropolitan area in the world. Constantinople at the time amounted to around 400,000. From verified figures, Seleucia on the Tigris seems to have consistently remained at 150,000 - 250,000 and fluctuate around 200,000. Through Ctesiphon, we have a clue of the capacity of Mesene/Meishân as a population-centre.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
10-25-2008, 20:07
Ibn-Khaldun made a good point. The early Germanic people for example didn't build any cities at all, they lived around the countryside in small rural communities with no more than 200 (real life) inhabitants. Contrary to many of the Celtic people, whose oppida were quite populous iirc. Gaul seemed to have been a densely populated area at least in Caesar's time.

Also, from a gameplay perspective, it makes no sense to have an empire plastered with metropolitan areas in every backwater province. E. g. I currently have Singidunum built up to 15,000 inhabitants, which would mean, after my own calculation, 600,000 inhabitants, or 750,000 after Maion's. That's not feasible. Nomadic settlements even are something completely different.

In my opinion, we have to take the surrounding province into account. The provinces in EB differ greatly in population density and territorial size. For example

Mytilene: the island of Lesbos with its chief polis. I daresay that 75% of the province's populace live in the city.
Roma: I guess 50% of the populace could be surely housed in the city itself.
Susa: extremely difficult, I think that not more than 10% would be living in the capital.
Swebotraustastamnoz: not more than 1% due to the society's nature.
Second, there must be a progression from a small vicus to metropolis affecting the relation of people dwelling the province to people living in its capital. Is the chief settlement very small, would it be 1/1000 of the province populace. On a middle scale, it could be 1/20 to 1/10. On a metropolitan size, it would be 1/10 (Susa, Ekbatana, Seleukeia, etc.) to 8/10 (Lesbos, Rhodos, etc.). Of course this way the settlement populace size would vice versa affect the province populace size.

Also, determining the proportion of war-able men in a populace is not so easy, in my opinion it differs also from culture to culture. The only constant for every settlement is the women, who generally don't count. Children, ill and old men may make up 30% (Germans) to 60% (Greeks). Slaves are in almost (?) all societies denied the warrior status. But how big is the slaves' proportion in your settlement? Here we would have to take into account your preceding policy! How many slaves did you take in "history"? Were they taken as loot by your troops ("Enslave" option) or displaced and distributed over your empire? Historically, imperial Rome saw a lot more slaves than actual citizens. But that was rather an exception, of course. Perhaps determining the slaves as 1/3 of the populace would make sense in most cases.

So my capital Pella, despite of many recruitment waves, has some 27,000 able men thanks to my generous tax policy:

27,000 / 40 x 100 = 67,500 free male inhabitants (60% unable)
67,500 x 2 = 135,000 free Greeks (50% female)
135,000 / 2 x 3 = 202,500 inhabitants in-game (33% slaves)
202,500 x 10 = 2,025,000 inhabitants in the province of Makedonia (roleplay factor)
2,025,000 / 100 x 30 = 607,500 inhabitants of the City of Pella (30% assumed capital-proportion for Makedonia on metropolis-level)

Alexandria-on-the-Neilous (39,000): 877,500 with the same assumed parameters (2,925,000 in the Nile-Delta).

Singidunum (15,000): Hellenized Celts, that might make for 40% unable men. It's a large city in a fairly wide area, so I let the capital-proportion be 5%. 1,125,000 people in whole Scorcouw, and in the capital itself 56,250.

desert
10-25-2008, 20:55
But remember, the cities you see in EB are NOT the only cities in the province. In places like Baktria or the provinces of Greece, there would be hundreds of cities. So how is that calculated? In the province of Latium in EB, there must have been like 10 other really populous and important cities, for example.

Lysimachos
10-25-2008, 21:03
But remember, the cities you see in EB are NOT the only cities in the province. In places like Baktria or the provinces of Greece, there would be hundreds of cities. So how is that calculated? In the province of Latium in EB, there must have been like 10 other really populous and important cities, for example.

I guess that is what he is using the different capital-province-proportion values for. In some provinces the capital is dominating the whole region, while in others it is just one city among others.

Btw, good post, Centurio :yes:

desert
10-25-2008, 21:13
Yeah, but see, a lot of that is based on incredibly subjective data or unknown variables. There might be as much as a 50% +/- difference from Centurio's calculations for Pella depending on how you interpret some of the variables.

gamegeek2
10-25-2008, 22:50
Wouldn't the female populations of cities outnumber the male population because some guys would be in the army? Of course, some of these guys would be married to some women in the city, but others might not be. Anyways, some of those guys would be killed, and so the female population would outnumber the male population. This would help account for the "extra" women who would be mistresses, etc.

desert
10-25-2008, 23:00
It's probably better to roleplay this on a "big city, small city, medium city" level. Maybe research the region to find out some of the other major settlements and use their names in an AAR, or whatever.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
10-26-2008, 00:22

-

Yeah, but see, a lot of that is based on incredibly subjective data or unknown variables. There might be as much as a 50% +/- difference from Centurio's calculations for Pella depending on how you interpret some of the variables.
I think that everything outside of Roma in Latium were really minor provincial cities. What I assumed on the proportion of the province capital is an educated guess. It can't stand a scientific approach because nobody really knows it, except maybe for the most well researched civilizations and regions. I do believe that even the EB-team could not serve with a definite answer on that subject. ;)

It's probably better to roleplay this on a "big city, small city, medium city" level. Maybe research the region to find out some of the other major settlements and use their names in an AAR, or whatever.
I made attempts to find out most of the "other" settlements that the EB map cannot present us, but this gets really difficult once you leave Greece and Asia Minor. In the east it's practically impossible if you have just your good old internet. Even finding out all the port cities is difficult. The EB-team made these decisions so long ago that nobody can remember...

I guess that is what he is using the different capital-province-proportion values for. In some provinces the capital is dominating the whole region, while in others it is just one city among others.

Btw, good post, Centurio :yes:
That sums it up pretty good. :smiley:

Wouldn't the female populations of cities outnumber the male population because some guys would be in the army? Of course, some of these guys would be married to some women in the city, but others might not be. Anyways, some of those guys would be killed, and so the female population would outnumber the male population. This would help account for the "extra" women who would be mistresses, etc.
Today women have a larger lifespan and so the proportion in the western civilization is about 51% women. But this is relatively new. In fact, due to their weaker body and the dangers of giving birth (much more frequently than today), women have had until about very recent times (maybe 1900) a shorter lifespan than men. That's the reason why there are more female babies normally to make up for this.

Most women would accompany their men on campaign. An army was normally followed by a huge amount of civilians, numbering much more than the soldiers. Wives, children, prostitutes, thieves, traders, money changers (what's the English word?) and all kinds of other professions. So it makes sense when you recruit somebody, his wife, children and slaves also disappear from the city. And how do you want to count mistresses? A mistress could be your fellow comrade's wife, so take care not to count anybody twice. :laugh4:

desert
10-26-2008, 00:35
Yeah, but when you recruit a unit, you are only taking a set amount of men from the population. If a unit is 240 men, then the pop decreases by 240, and 240 will show up in a battle. I don't say see camp followers being represented in that.

And here were a few major cities in Latium:

Ostia
Veii
Alba Longa
Lavinium
Tibur
Tusculum
Praeneste. :2thumbsup:

Probably taking a look at the Paeninsula Italica mod map will reveal even more.

Maion Maroneios
10-26-2008, 01:29
That's some good thought there, Centurio. I must admit I did things rather quickly without much thought, but I will certainly try to deepen into this at some point. You certainly gave me a reason to do so!

Maion

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
10-26-2008, 03:26
I had almost the exact same thoughts as you had, Maion, but thinking on it (and seeing the numbers) I came to the conclusion that there need to be more out there...

Yeah, but when you recruit a unit, you are only taking a set amount of men from the population. If a unit is 240 men, then the pop decreases by 240, and 240 will show up in a battle. I don't say see camp followers being represented in that.

And here were a few major cities in Latium:

Ostia
Veii
Alba Longa
Lavinium
Tibur
Tusculum
Praeneste. :2thumbsup:

Probably taking a look at the Paeninsula Italica mod map will reveal even more.
Yes, when you recruit a 240 men unit, the population will decrease by 240. This is because the population shown in the city scroll isn't the whole population, but able men. The unit in battle of course has 240 men, because their family wont join him in the fray (although there are reports of Germanic women cutting down their fleeing brothers and husbands). We are trying to estimate the real population of a town. Its population of able men we already know.

You are giving a good example with the major Latium cities in Peninsula Italica. In fact, this is exactly what I wanted to point out: the proportion capital dwellers - province dwellers changes over the time, when the population increases and the province capital grows. If Rome is a medium sized city, we can assume that the proportion would be somewhat 5-10% in the capital. If Rome grows, this may very well change to 15-25%. Lots of people coming into the city, lured by your policy. Numbers increase over time, and people move from the very cities you mentioned to the capital. This is a very well known phenomenon known today too. People tend to leave the countryside for the big city, it's the case today and was the case then. When Rome finally reaches a metropolitan size, there may be 30-50%, the latter one I could imagine for imperial Rome. I cannot say the exact numbers, I can only guess them, depending on the size of the province, its assumed population density, the inhabiting culture and their degree of civilization.

desert
10-26-2008, 03:35
Alright, fair enough.

But what I'm really interested in is this - where do all those people come from? Surely humans don't reproduce that fast? If you started out controlling every region in the map, every single province within 50 years would have its population multiplied at least 10 times. This is many millions of people. And no slaves are coming in from conquests or anything like that. So where do all these people come from?

Even in the average scenario, basically all the cities in EB will have at least 10 times their starting population by 200 BC (unless you have MAA's city mod).

If a province starts with 5,000 men of fighting age, and you multiply that by 10, and then by 4 again to get the total population, thats 200,000. After 50 years it will have, say 30,000. It now has 1.2 million. How did the population increase by a million in 50 years? That a 600% increase.

||Lz3||
10-26-2008, 03:47
How did the population increase by a million in 50 years? That a 600% increase.

it's Rome Total War... not a simulator :smash:

it's like asking why a plane doesn't stall when playing Acecombat, or why does the car drifts like on ice when playing need for speed.

I never get into troubles figuring out how to represent a city, honeslty I just ignore the population and imagine it completely ... >.> easier

desert
10-26-2008, 03:50
Yeah, or like why naval combat in Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is treated like regular artillery on water. :book:

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
10-26-2008, 04:24
Alright, fair enough.

But what I'm really interested in is this - where do all those people come from? Surely humans don't reproduce that fast? If you started out controlling every region in the map, every single province within 50 years would have its population multiplied at least 10 times. This is many millions of people. And no slaves are coming in from conquests or anything like that. So where do all these people come from?

Even in the average scenario, basically all the cities in EB will have at least 10 times their starting population by 200 BC (unless you have MAA's city mod).

If a province starts with 5,000 men of fighting age, and you multiply that by 10, and then by 4 again to get the total population, thats 200,000. After 50 years it will have, say 30,000. It now has 1.2 million. How did the population increase by a million in 50 years? That a 600% increase.
You are absolutely right on that.

Currently I am experimenting with table calculation and different values for the cities. I see if can deliver anything feasible...

teh1337tim
10-26-2008, 04:36
sorry to stop ur conversation...but to prove my my above statement of rome.. heres a pic 10 years after i said that

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/ashunlilboi/RomeTW2008-10-2520-16-11-50.jpg

||Lz3||
10-26-2008, 04:41
https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/ashunlilboi/RomeTW2008-10-2520-16-11-50.jpg
Holy **** batman! :jawdrop:

desert
10-26-2008, 04:51
Hmm, so then Rome has 1 - 1.4 million people. Ok, fine, that isn't too bad, I gue-What's that?

198 BC?

Your mother is a **************************************************** Laurum Ipsom **************************************************** admintum venium **************************************************** tra goo la **************************************************** hippopotamus ****************************************************republican **************************************************** Daniel Radcliffe **************************************************** with a bucket of **************************************************** in a castle far away where no one can hear you **************************************************** soup **************************************************** with a bucket of **************************************************** Mickey Mouse **************************************************** a stick of dynamite **************************************************** magical **************************************************** ALAKAZAM!

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
10-26-2008, 05:06
teh1337tim,

after my calculations, assuming that 35% of Latium's population living in Roma, and that 40% of the plebs is able to carry a scutum, I say that there are 5,361,900 people living in Latium, and 1,876,665 in the eternal city. Congratulations! :grin:

teh1337tim
10-26-2008, 06:01
LoL i should get a special balloon for this rofl xD

Epic indeeded huh

Tartaros
10-26-2008, 10:46
sorry to stop ur conversation...but to prove my my above statement of rome.. heres a pic 10 years after i said that

Whow! Holy S**t
here´s the balloon-award from maion to you! :balloon:
congratulations :bow:

Tartaros
10-26-2008, 10:56
... If a unit is 240 men, then the pop decreases by 240, and 240 will show up in a battle. I don't say see camp followers being represented in that.

herodot: 1 hoplit + one slave in battle for service
1 spartan + seven helots for service

antisocialmunky
10-26-2008, 15:56
@ Male/Female populations.

In most places, the aggregate male female ratio is about 51:49 at birth. However, in the whole population its reversed.

Also epic 71K is epic.

satalexton
10-26-2008, 16:37
me wants to sack a roma with 71k population >_>

teh1337tim
10-26-2008, 17:49
U wont.. not with 8 cohorts guarding it lol

||Lz3||
10-26-2008, 17:59
can I give you another balloon? :balloon3: :laugh3:

My biggest city, only reached 44k or something, it was alalia (since I never recruit there) on 240bc

CaesarAugustus
10-27-2008, 02:58
Any tips on increasing city population (aside from cheating)? My Roma has decreased from just over 50k to about 39k over the course of a few years after the governor died (and that's with lowest taxes and all possible buildings constructed). Settling units and Expelling the population of conquered cities just makes the squalor go higher and causes the population to decrease more.

Maion Maroneios
10-27-2008, 13:56
Whow! Holy S**t
here´s the balloon-award from maion to you! :balloon:
congratulations :bow:
Hey, I didn't now I had an assistant giving out balloons in my name! Oh well, so be it:clown:

Maion

SwissBarbar
10-27-2008, 14:17
Any tips on increasing city population (aside from cheating)? My Roma has decreased from just over 50k to about 39k over the course of a few years after the governor died (and that's with lowest taxes and all possible buildings constructed). Settling units and Expelling the population of conquered cities just makes the squalor go higher and causes the population to decrease more.

next time you sack a city, don't kill the population but prorate it on the other cities, maybe that works.

XSamatan
10-27-2008, 14:48
Beside of buliding all Health-Care-Buildings I would suggest to build a large Templum of Hera, it offers around 35% Health bonus, and I think some buildings like Hospital, Farms and Aequaducts trigger positive traits, to speed up population growth.

XSamatan

Tartaros
10-28-2008, 00:05
Hey, I didn't now I had an assistant giving out balloons in my name! Oh well, so be it:clown:

Maion

Oh - With pleasure!

it is just fair: 70ts beat me up :boxing:
so teh1337tim is the real ballooner (till my seleukeia grows and grows - but it´s still at 49.530...)

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Ibrahim
10-29-2008, 15:11
ye know, all this city heck raises a question:

1-now that we know we can cap city max sizes (MAA's mod), can we also put a cap on population growth rates? :book:

2-Holy god! how the hell did you make a 71k city?:inquisitive:

We shall fwee...Wodewick
10-29-2008, 16:24
Firstly, oh my god on the 71k front (bear in mind I'm an atheist, that's how impressed I am), but secondly, What would be the biggest possible city with all the best traits, retainers, full management and influence and low tax?

teh1337tim
10-30-2008, 00:14
-> ibraham
1.yes i believe u can by switching a few codes but u need the EB team to comfirm...but one day i cheated to have a 200,000 pop in a test game as makedonia on pella... definately possible but u cant control it LoL

2. i had full traits management etc and local hero sharp charis vigorus and all buildings for health etc..
does help to keep sacking the cities and then relocate the pop... i always head to antioch alexandreia or pella. sometimes the bosphorus coast near hai.. barbarious mercanaries...