PDA

View Full Version : LotR - Summit - Nicosia

AussieGiant
11-12-2008, 22:33
The thread is only for those specifically invited to attend, please do not post in this thread unless you are mentioned in the list below.

The current list is:

Ioannis Komnenos (Ignoramus)
Pavlos Chrysovergos (Ituralde)

Methodios Tagaris (Tristan de Castelreng)

Tiverios Indikoplefstis (OverKnight)

Ignoramous, Tristan de Castelreng you have until the opening of the thread to nominate two additional people to accompany you.

This Summit Meeting will commence at 12:00 GMT+1 Thursday the 13th of November 2008.

---------------------------------------

The island of Nicosia had been a hive of activity for well over a month. Preparations had begun in earnest once Apionnas had received final word from both men that they agreed with the terms of the meeting. Since that moment, a little less than one month ago Apionnas had been working day and night to plan and bring everything together in time.

Now, surveying the scene before him, it was done.

The summit would take place in the ruins of an old Colosseum, a relic of a once proud Empire now more than thousand years in the distant past.

At each end massive pavilions had been erected in which both the Basileus and Caesar would reside in until they had exhausted all possible avenues of resolution.

More than 1000 Varangian Guardsmen occupied the island and patrolled the waters in the immediate vicinity. The area was more secure than the Royal Palace in Constantinople.

The only thing to do now was wait for the lookouts to announce the arrival of the men in question.

AussieGiant
11-13-2008, 09:00
Apionnas is handed a note from an Imperial Messenger. He scans it briefly, then turns to the Varangian Captain.

"Double your contingent Captain. The Megas is also going to attend the summit.

God help us if something happens at this meeting!"

AussieGiant
11-13-2008, 17:41
Standing on the hill of the old Colosseum ruins gave a particularly stunning view of the entire island and every sea born approach. Scanning the horizon for the twentieth time in the last hour Apionnas grunted to himself as yet another day came to an end.

Would either party show?

_Tristan_
11-13-2008, 18:32
Methodios, accompanied by his retainers, strides purposefully into the ruins of what had been an example of the glory of Rome.

"These ruins are a good setting for these proceedings" he mused "There reflect the state of our Empire".

Spotting Apionnas Vringas among the fallen colonnades, he walks to him and gives him a military salute.

"Hail, Senator Vringas... I wish to express my thanks in advance for the effort you put into setting up this meeting in the hope of resolving the differences between the Basileus and me. Has the Basileus arrived yet ? I have not spotted any other vessel in the harbour but yours and mine. Will he show up at all ?"

AussieGiant
11-13-2008, 19:55
Apionnas grimaces briefly at the joke made by the Caesar. Returning the salute he then gives the a warriors handshake to the other man.

"My lord Caesar, it is good to see you.

You are the first.

We are still waiting on Tiverios Indikoplefstis, the Megas and the Basileus."

Apionnas pauses and look back towards the sunset and the direction of Constantinople.

"The Basileus said he had agreed to the meeting. I expect him to keep his word.

Would you like some refreshment and a tour of the facilities to get yourself comfortable?"

Ignoramus
11-14-2008, 00:58
The Basileus, notable in his attire of a purple toga, arrives with his guards.

Ah, I see the Caesar has already arrived. Now we must await the arrival of the Megas.

Ituralde
11-14-2008, 02:29
Arriving shortly after the Basileus, Pavlos Chrysovergos joins the three men already present. Although his hair has become more white than gray his appearance is as gruff as ever.

Basileus, Methodios Tagaris, Senator Vringas! I am, as always to your service.

He bows slightly and nods to each man in turn.

AussieGiant
11-14-2008, 08:35
"Now we just await Senator Tiverios.

I assume we will wait until he arrives before beginning?"

_Tristan_
11-14-2008, 20:00
Senator Vringas,

May I suggest we begin without waiting for Tiverios ? I was the one who requested his presence and though I feel at a disadvantage right now, I am ready to face whatever you want to throw at me in these dealings.

He will be able to catch up later and assess what has been said and done.

OverKnight
11-15-2008, 05:37
Tiverios rushes in looking a bit worse for wear. He bows to the Basileus and the Caesar and nods to the other men.

Apologies, I was settling matters at Ragusa.

Please, let us continue. While I feel it is unfortunate that a represenative from the Order is not here to settle that dispute as well, I hope we can at least heal this current rift between the Basileus and the Caesar.

While I am not certain as to what role I can play, I will assist anyway I can.

AussieGiant
11-15-2008, 12:45
Apionnas nods in acknowledgment to Tiverios.

"Alright gentlemen, I think it is time to get into the point of us being here on this very nice island.

I called this meeting for a very simple reason.

While civil war has existed between the Basileus and the Caesar for nearly 10 years, neither party has made any effort to pursue or engage each other in any type of conflict.

Therefore in my opinion, there is no real appetite for this conflict in any serious fashion.

If this is the case then I ask both parties here and now...

What will it take to have the matter resolved at this time?"

Apionnas holds the gaze of each man for a few seconds to ensure a few moments of thought are made before replying.

_Tristan_
11-17-2008, 10:58
Sitting on a fallen column of the derelict colosseum, Methodios comtemplates the uneasy silence that settled after the High Chancellor's words. Without raising, he finally breaks the silence.

My Lords,

None can deny that this war is nothing but de facto. I did not declare war on the Basileus, nor did he declare it on me, but I can understand that my decision to marry my daughter aginast his will was construed as an act of disobedience that bordered on irreverence and thus set us at odds.

All this could have been resolved if the Basileus was not so rash and inconsiderate of the well-being of his vassals, not so power-hungry that the end justifies the means.

While I do not deny that our law decrees that it is his power to decide upon the marriages of daughter of his line, it does not prevent him from seeking the consent of the party concerned before announcing to the whole Empire.

While I may have been considered the one who flaunted authority in this case, the actions of the Basileus in the instance of the marriage of my daughter Hypatia were like a slap in my face, a slap which he knew I would not ignore and thus hoped to get rid of me.

But he misjudged the fact that even faced with veiled threats many Senators would declare neutrality in this conflict, clamoring to the whole world the lack of power and control that Ioannis has upon his vassals.

For loyalty is not granted, it must be earned and Ioannis has not managed to do that. Most of the Senators that joined with him did so out of loyalty to the function of Basileus rather than for the man himself.

Rarely in our long history has a man in power garnered so much distrust and antipathy.

This whole business of war was nothing but a ploy born in Ioannis' mind, perhaps with some third party advisor, to bring to heel all Houses and destroy those that would resist.

Proof of this is clearly apparent in his declaration of war against the Order of Saint-John. The Order expressed no sympathy for my cause, nor did they declare neutrality but still they faced the Basileus' wrath, a wrath long contained from years of bickering with the former Grandmaster, noble Makedonios. Now Ioannis had found a way to vent his fury on false grounds.

I do not want to enter in a prolonged war with Ioannis. A war that would shed the blood of so many of our Greek brothers, and to no avail. I spent my whole life fighting to enlarge the Empire, from taking Durazzo to almost conquering Egypt in its entirety, with my men. I fought always to protect our Greek countrymen, be it by relieving Belgrade, keeping order in Cairo or using as few men as possible in my battles so that our blood should not be drunk thirstily by unforgiving sands.

With that in mind, do you truly think that I would seek to destroy Ioannis, bringing battle on Greek soil against Romans ? Have you seen any move made by me since that "declaration of war" that could be construed as a hostile move ? Even with the threat of all armies of Constantinople swooping down upon me, I managed to get rid of the Fatimids, capturing the holiest of Muslim cities in the same stroke.

Are these the actions of a rebel ? If so, I'm glad to be considered so.

I didn't want to launch myself into such a long rant but I had to let things out. I hope I didn't bore you and I am now willing to listen to Ioannis' answer and proposals towards the resolution of this conflict.

Ignoramus
11-17-2008, 12:02
Strolling around in the midst of the coliseum, Ioannis began his reply.

You must forgive me, Methodios, if my decision seemed unfeeling to you and your daughter. But the fact is that you are Caesar. You are the second greatest man in the empire, and thus it is necessary for your daughter to be wedded to a man whose character, loyalty, and ideals that are known to both of us. I understand the pain and sacrifice required in fulfilling one's duty, but our elevated position requires this of us. I married a woman I had not set my eyes upon - a princess of royal blood from the Rus. But love came after marriage and I did my duty to the empire.

I am afraid to say that you do not help your case with your words. Even the meanest beggar on the streets of Constantinople knows that I have difficulties in maintaining the support of the nobles of the empire. That is exactly why emperors, even such of a generous and forgiving nature as myself, cannot tolerate such acts of defiance. The marriage, it is true, was announced in the Magnaura. It was official, and I fully intended it to take place. You were consulted, and it is unfortunate that my wishes were in conflict with yours. However, I must admit I was disappointed that a man of your standing would defy me over an issue which has been Roman law and tradition for over 500 years.

It is ironic that you claim that capturing Mecca was not the action of a rebel, when I had expressly ordered a cessation of hostilities against the Fatimids.

However, our meeting here in this arena is not a fight to the death but rather a coming together to heal wounds and restore unity to the empire.

I will present my terms for the cessation of the conflict.

I. Methodios Tagaris, Caesar of the Romans, must humbly apologise in the Magnaura for disobeying the Basileus' command and marrying his daughter off without his permission. There must be no excuses given, else the apology is meaningless.

II. Methodios Tagaris, Caesar of the Romans, must surrender the city of Cairo over to the Basileus.

If the Caesar agrees with and acts upon these two points, he will be fully pardoned and a ceasefire will be accomplished. He will also be invited to join the Basileus in the invasion of Italy as a show of unity.

As for peace with the Order of St. John:

I. They must fully apologise for their disloyalty and their insults directed at the Basileus' person. Again, this must be an unreserved apology.

And concerning Michail Arianitis:

I. He must surrender Durazzo to the Basileus, who will grant it back to him on receiving a full oath of personal loyalty.

II. He must apologise unreservedly to the whole Magnaura for his act of disowning the empire.

I await your word, Caesar.

_Tristan_
11-17-2008, 16:31
Upon hearing the Basileus' answer, Methodios rises from his seat on the fallen column.

My Lord, you will have to lower your demands for what you ask of me is too much.

Apologies ? Apologies ?

You should apologize to me or more exactly to us, nobles of your Empire.

You say you consulted me on the subject of my daughter's wedding, I call that a lie. You took your decision on your own, with never a care to whom I might find suitable as a betrothed for my daughter. Had you truly wanted to find someone suitable, we could have come to terms on someone which may have been your brother or not... But your rash actions drove me to this... And I deny you the right to question the character, loyalty or ideals of Vakchos Tzetzis. This man has served with me for years and I know him for a true Roman.

As for calling me a rebel, I'll accept it. I captured Mecca against your will for I could not leave that well of infamy right on our doorstep ready to spill hordes of scimitar-wielding fanatics upon our unsuspecting and reinforcement-lacking Egyptian cities. So yes, I am a rebel and proud of it if being a rebel means standing up to a tyrannical ruler who places the best interests of himself and his followers above the good of the whole Empire.

I think I have proven multiple times that I was willing to fulfill my duties to the Empire to the best of my abilities. And do believe that I know the pain and sacrifice that come from serving. Should I remember you the many losses I suffered : Zagreb, Kosmas, Annios... So do not lecture me on the cost of sacrifice... I was not born to my position, I deserved it... Your own father saw merit in my actions and elevated me, the greatest honour done to me...

But what of your service to your father's legacy ? Aleksios left us a powerful, united Empire but already he knew the seeds of dissention were growing with your future accession to the throne. Your uncovered plans to get rid of the Order (and I thank Lord Kalameteros for bringing them to the light, should I not have done so in the past) cast a shadow on your future governance. You created that situation... Now, it is plain to all in this Empire from paupers to princes that the Basileus is not fit to rule over his nobles, having lost their trust so many years ago.

So rather than make pointless demands in exchange for your pardon, you should rather ask what we, nobles of the Empire, would demand as a price to give back our trust to our Basileus.

That would be a step towards mending the rift in the fabric of our Empire.

AussieGiant
11-17-2008, 17:48
Apionnas stands at the end of the Basileus's statement. A frown is played across his face as the requirements of the cease fire are spoken by his lord. About to speak, he remains silent and listens to the Caesar respond.

Finally he moves subconsciously between the two.

Gentlemen,

I have heard more conciliatory words here in the last 10 minutes than I have in 10 years, however we seem to be falling back into our old habits now.

I would ask you both to focus on some type of common ground before making further statements regarding conditions of the ceasefire.

There is clearly common ground regarding the marriage IF both of you are prepared to find it. I believe we should first focus on that before moving onto large and far wider issues effecting the Empire.

If I may be so bold, I truly believe both of you could find some apology and acceptance for what happened with the Caesar's daughter.

Turning to Methodios.

My lord I think you will concede the point of law to the Basileus and acknowledge that even he himself followed 500 years of custom without his father asking him for permission.

Turning back to Ioannis.

My Lord Basileus, clearly it would have been appropriate to speak with the Caesar and certainly possible to do so. Did you in fact do this or not?

Taking the measure of each man Apionnas continues.

Without making too strong a statement gentlemen, clearly someone is accurate and someone is not accurate with regards to the level of consultation about the marriage. I would ask you to find agreement on this topic before we go further.

Glancing at Tiverios and Pavlos briefly, he steps back.

_Tristan_
11-17-2008, 19:00
I solemnly swear that the first I heard of the marriage proposal of my beloved daughter was the moment it was announced in front of the Magnaura.

I think you can all understand the reason why I may have over-reacted.

Nodding to Apionnas, Methodios goes on.

While I'm willing to understand that a precedent existed, our law is not set in stone and should not always be followed blindly.

Just because generations of our daughters have been throw unwillingly into the arms of men they would not have chosen, for no other justification but the "good" of the Empire, is no reason to go on...

I would have thought you more willing to understand, Ioannis, having seen your own sister torn between her duty and her desire...

I hate to throw oil on the fire, Senator Apionnas, but I truly believe that this marraige idea was only considered as a way to prod me into "rebelling" against Ioannis' authority, casting me in the role of the villain. Had I not "rebelled",
I think Ioannis hoped to gain control over my actions, having gained a hostage in my daughter, as a warranty of my good behaviour... Hence the lack of consultation...

OverKnight
11-18-2008, 06:33
Tiverios speaks up.

With all due respect your Majesty and gentlemen, a bloodless Civil War is still detrimental to both parties. For the Basileus, having a powerful vassal in revolt with no conclusion in sight lessens the inherent authority of his position and might invite further "independence" from others. For Methodios, while he seems to have carved out a powerful domain of his own, maintaining it while under interdict will prove difficult, as will bringing other followers into his own House. In addition such internecine conflict weakens the Empire as a whole.

It behooves you both to settle this matter as quickly as possible. An exchange of territory as compensation for the loss of Hypatia seems a decent solution. Both sides must give up something if there is to be peace.

AussieGiant
11-18-2008, 09:15
Apionnas nods in agreement.

Your Majesty, Caesar, neither of you are accomplishing anything by conducting a Civil War in which neither side is prepared to do anything.

As Tiverios just stated, this is actually weakening you both.

The final embarrassment will the end of the Civil War by way of death for one of you.

Is that how you want to be remembered?

_Tristan_
11-18-2008, 12:53
My Lords,

However much I wish to see this situation resolved, I will not bow down to such a tyrannical authority without guarantees that in the future my family or those who supported me and there are few of those will be free of any retribution.

I know I may not be long for this world of sorrow. But I will not leave it cowed. I will leave it proud, proud to have stood up to the egomaniacal lusts of a power-hungry and nepotic ruler.

I have clearly no wish to pursue this war but the longer it festers, the more Ioannis' authority is lessened and though I have no wish to see the Empire torn to shreds, I hope that my example will drive others to stand up to him and find someone more deserving of ruling upon this greatest of Empires.

The ball is the Basileus' camp to try and find the means of a peaceful resolution of this conflict.

Let him show us how he intends to govern in the future in the respect of his vassal and then, I will certainly be able to make concessions.

And Senator Tiverios, indeed, a grant of land would not be much to give for the benefit of knowing my daughter will live happily in a united Empire but I think I have paid more than any other of the nobles of the Empire. And I would have no assurances that Ioannis would not seek another quarrel against other nobles, tearing for good the fabric of our Empire.

I have lost Durazzo, Zagreb and Scopia, through different ways, to different people but all in the service of Basileus Aleksios. I paid my debt to the father, and gladly because I thought he deserved it, would you have me pay again to his undeserving son ?

AussieGiant
11-18-2008, 14:14
A pained look crosses the face of Apionnas at some of the words used by the Caesar.

Finally once he is finished he speaks.

Lord Caesar,

What would you be prepared to concede as part of a settlement to the matter?

Ituralde
11-18-2008, 16:51
Pavlos grumbles something to himself, but then remains content to just listen. Maybe gazing at the sky from time to time to follow the flight of the local birds.

_Tristan_
11-19-2008, 11:33
Lord Apionnas,

What I'd like to hear is what our Basileus is ready to concede himself as part of the settlement of this conflict. He created the situation by forcing my hand as I have already stated.

Had he acted differently, more respectful of his vassal's well-being, we would not be in this mire.

Until now, we haven't heard any wish for atonement from Ioannis, we haven't heard a lot from him anuyway but all we heard was more demands.

The relationship between a lord and his vassal must work both ways if it is to work efficiently. But in Ioannis' view, everything's due to him from everyone with only a few reaping the benefits of his scant generosity.

But to show my good faith in resolving this conflict, I'm willing to accept my confinement to my provinces of Egypt and those of House Ilios Korakas, if they will accept until such time as Death comes knocking at my door. Further conditions may be applied but will be subject to discussion.

Ignoramus
11-19-2008, 12:15
Leaving aside the Caesar's "concession", I am willing to pardon the Caesar and acknowledge and grant my blessing to his daughter's marriage, on condition of the above two requirements being met. The Caesar is in the wrong for breaking the Charter of the empire.

The Caesar should acknowledge that losing a province and a bit of pride is a small price to pay for being pardoned for committing treason.

AussieGiant
11-19-2008, 14:24
Apionnas hisses air from between his teeth at the last remark. Glancing at the Emperor for a fleeting moment it is hard to tell if the usually calm Chancellor has lost his patience.

He takes a moment before continuing.

My Lords, I would ask you to refrain from making comments about anything outside of the immediate topic. It will simply not advance this discussion in any positive fashion.

It is common ground that we must focus on.

If I can summarise, I believe that this "common ground" could be phrased as follows.

Steeling his gaze at both men, it is with a certain force of will that he makes the following statement.

The Basileus would pardon the Caesar for not following the law of the land. He would then sanction the wedding, therefore officially recognising the husband of the Caesar's daughter as part of the royal family.

In return the Caesar would apologies without reservations for breaching the law. He would do that in the Magnaura. He would then confine himself to his holding in Egypt at the pleasure of the Basileus.

Taking a moment he hold the gaze of the Caesar before turning to the Basileus.

In response, the Basileus would acknowledge that the events leading up to the civil war and the wedding itself could have been handled in a far better fashion, and the Basileus will endeavour to address his relationship with his vassals in the future in order to avoid such incidents from occurring again.

Apionnas pauses for a moment. It's clear to both mean and also the on looking Pavlos and Tiverios, that if there is no agreement here the next option will be far different.

My Lords,

I ask you to find common ground. Either my statement above of something else.

Ituralde
11-20-2008, 08:37
Pavlos nods slowly, although he winced slightly at the last paragraph of Apionnas.

AussieGiant
11-22-2008, 16:37
At this time rather than the usual lone eyebrow accompanying moments of interest or alarm, Apionnas looks at both men for a very long moment, seeing neither is prepared to speak he smashes his fists on the table in front of him.

To say the Varangian guards are surprised is an understatement.

More than a few swords are partially drawn at the aggressive and sudden movement of the Chancellor. Only the Captain's quick motion to hold prevents them rushing Apionnas as rage clearly fills his eyes.

Speaking quietly he seethes the following words.

Exactly what the £$%^$ do you two think you're accomplishing by sitting here with not a word to say for yourselves!!??

You're both a disgrace!!

Neither if you are providing leadership, inspiration or any other type of positive influence on this Empire!! Instead of shaking hands and getting on with governing the largest and most powerful Empire on this planet, you'd rather sit here festering in what you think are legitimate ideas of honour and principles!!

Well sadly gentlemen, if you keep this up your lasting legacy will be a pathetic inconsequential civil war in which nothing of note happened!!

In fact all you both will be remembered for is stunting and reducing the effectiveness of this Empire at a time in which glory, progress and expansion were within your collective grasp!!

If you both can not see this, then god help this Empire in the remaining few years of your respective lives.

If I was the ruler of another nation I would be doing everything in my power to find out how to make both of you immortal so that the Byzantine Empire can drag along two rulers that clearly have no concept of what it takes to lead, govern or otherwise inspire the nobility of Byzantium to great achievements!!

£$^%^ me!!

With that said Apionnas turns, picks up the chair he was sitting on and hurls it clear over the nearest guards and into the water some 100 feet below the cliff behind him.

Turning while departing towards the marquee he says;

Obviously my lords you can strip me of any position of office or privileged due to this outburst!!

Good luck watching the sun set!!

Ituralde
11-22-2008, 17:59
Pavlos smiles one of his rare smiles.

OverKnight
11-24-2008, 06:46
Tiverios watches the outburst with some alarm. After a few minutes of silence he speaks.

I believe that concludes this meeting. It would appear that neither party is truly interested in peace.

Tiverios stands and bows to the Basileus.

Good day, your Majesty.

He inclines his head to Methodios and Pavlos.

And to both of you as well.

Tiverios departs.