PDA

View Full Version : Can't use auto resolve battles.

Fixiwee
12-29-2008, 21:29
So I'm playing the good ol' Romans to conquere Europe and Asia once more. Right now I am facing the Ptolemaic Juggernaut who conquered all his neighbours. But that's okay, I'm up for a good fight.
The only problem is, whenever I face an army, even when my army was in favour of 3:1 I suffer a crushing defeat. Hence I have to play every battle by myself (where I would win heavy victories).

But by now I am terribly bored by playing every battle myself, since an ingame year tends to take me a good hour or so. So my question is, why is this auto resolve battle thing happening? Is there a way to prevent those crushing defeats from happening? My generals do have stars ofc.

:help:

teh1337tim
12-29-2008, 21:44
auto_win attacker for any battle that is seriously in ur favour but u still get owned by the crap resolve battles... I usualyl do this for battleing 4-7 unit stacks with 3/4 or full or just stakcs i know i can beat... if there quite even i fight them myselfs,,, usually i do this to prevent EB from crashing as after 1 or 2 battle,it can be quite random on crashing so i take no chances...

Ca Putt
12-29-2008, 23:24
ptolemies probably use a lot of phalanx units, phalanx units seem to be slightly overrated by the AI especially when facing cavalary or missile cavalary.

1. don't autocalc a battle against a general with more stars

2. rather not autocalc against a phalanx based army.

3. rather not autocalc when relying mostly on a unit type you think you can control extremely well or need a lot of micro to lead to victory(eg. illyrian cav against hoplites or phalangites; cav archers... if you can control them*)

*I rather autocalc with chariots because i suck at leading these things

Subotan
12-30-2008, 01:16
I autocalc when there's a small garrison in a city, because the engine doesn't take towers into account, and I can justify this RP-wise by saying they dont have enough men to man the towers.

:wall:

Fixiwee
12-30-2008, 01:57
Hmm I tried the auto_win thingy. It's the best way but it feels like cheating.
So yeah, the Ptolemies use 95% phalanx, so it's virtually impossible to autoresolve battles. And I'm too bored by playing all the battles by myself. Though the auto_win command makes only sense when I outnumber the enemy by a large scale by troups and stars. Otherwise I'm not gonna gonna use it.

Dayve
12-30-2008, 11:39
Unfortunately i have to auto_win large city battles, especially when the city is both huge and has a large garrison and i have a large army.

The Radeon HD 4870 is a horrible, horrible graphics card, and even though it can easily handle such things, it gives you the blue screen of death frequently in such battles.

It's nothing to feel guilty about though. You know you're going to win the battle anyway, you know the AI gets handouts each turn, you know they don't lose population when they recruit units, and when you've done it you can disband what units you think you should have realistically lost in the battle.

Fixiwee
12-30-2008, 14:43
I have come to terms that I only use auto_win when I have a generals with high stars or/and my army outnumbers the enemy by a large scales (depending on the situation). It may bug me because I consider it cheating, but I still do it RPG wise. Meh.

But thanks for the help anyway :-}