PDA

View Full Version : Plagues, earthquakes, storms at sea... where have they gone?

Dayve
01-06-2009, 19:45
I was playing EB today and i read the year in history notification that there was a plague in Rome this year, and it made me realize something... I haven't seen a plague in EB, ever. I've had cities go to 6, 12, 24,000 population with little more than simple drainage built, but have never, ever had a plague.

Nor have i ever seen an earthquake, nor have i ever seen or suffered from a storm at sea.

What gives? Have all those been taken out, or is it just a crazy coincidence that i've never ever seen any of them?

Marcus Gallicus
01-06-2009, 19:49
Plagues are still in EB, and i think the others were removed, but i'm not certain.

Zett
01-06-2009, 19:51
Have all those been taken out

yep, iirc cause of CTD. You can enabel them again, but i dont know which textfile.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-06-2009, 20:11
Plagues and earthquakes are still in EB. Teleklos did a whole lot of research to make natural disasters more realistic, too. Storms are very rare and completely random. The floods have been turned off because of a RTW bug where the effects of the flood (half movement speed in that province) are perminent.

von_neurath
01-06-2009, 20:35
I have been playing EB since 0.80 and I only witness plagues, very rarely. I wanted so much to see a storm or an earthquake but nothing. I suppose I wasn't lucky enough :laugh4:gh...

Subotan
01-06-2009, 20:38
I love the Earthquakes, when the land moves up in massive ripples.

Dayve
01-06-2009, 20:59
I remember they used to make me feel very sick and panicky, even if they didn't happen anywhere near me. I remember experiencing the feelings of a panic attack once for a few minutes after seeing one, which is extremely weird. I think it's the way the earth just goes up and down, it just looks creepy.

But still, i wish they were still there.

Subotan
01-06-2009, 22:02
Woah, that's weird. Do you live in an earthquake zone?

Megas Methuselah
01-06-2009, 22:16
... He meat in the game.

But still, i wish they were still there.

If you bothered yourself to read the thread, troll, you'd notice that earthquakes are still in. :clown:

antisocialmunky
01-07-2009, 00:11
I don't like earthquakes in RTW. They should destroy buildings, not wipe out armies. IRL, Earthquakes don't kill people, falling things do.

This is especially annoying with the Parthians because losing most of a 10 stack army of elite HA is suck.

Dayve
01-07-2009, 00:54
I don't like earthquakes in RTW. They should destroy buildings, not wipe out armies. IRL, Earthquakes don't kill people, falling things do.

This is especially annoying with the Parthians because losing most of a 10 stack army of elite HA is suck.

Just roleplay it. Your horse archers fell off their horses during the quake, then their horses fell on top of them.

And the Seleukid king drank much wine, and all were laughing and cheering.

Tiberius Claudius Marcellus
01-07-2009, 18:49
A really neat feature would be that cities involved in the volcanic erruptions (if hit by lava/mud flow) could possibly be permanantly buried or made uninhabitable/less profitable.

This could be represented by a reduction in population cap, reduced profitability through trade/roads/available goods, or even building destruction (not just damage).

The Fuzz
01-07-2009, 19:36
Heh, my first game with EB went so poorly because of earthquakes. I finally built up a full stack and sent them into the Hindu Kush, where three earthquakes in short succession pretty much wiped them out.

I remember an e-friend of mine once had 'The Sea' flood with .80. He lost his guy that was the key to the Augustan reforms, rofl

HamilcarBarca
01-08-2009, 02:10
I play EB with BI and I have NEVER seen a storm at sea or earthquake.

I have asked this question before, and I believe the problem may be the BI expansion actually disabled the natural disasters, so it is a problem with the engine rather than the Mod.

H.

a completely inoffensive name
01-08-2009, 02:13
... He meat in the game.

If you bothered yourself to read the thread, troll, you'd notice that earthquakes are still in. :clown:

If you bothered to spell check, I would not be laughing at your post right now.

Back to OT, I have only seen on plague and I wish disasters were more often, but then again, 40 turns is just 10 years, and it would be unrealistic for an earthquake, storm and a flood to occur in just 10 years.

Olaf The Great
01-08-2009, 02:21
I've had 1 or two volcanoes, and an earthquake -never- any plagues.

antisocialmunky
01-08-2009, 05:02
I believe that Etna and Vesuvius erupt in Vanilla. You can see them smoking on the battle mapes near them.

johnhughthom
01-08-2009, 05:20
I had great fun in my Romani AAR campaign using spies to spread plague through Gaul and Germany, then my 10 star spy died of it...

Megas Methuselah
01-08-2009, 05:54
I believe that Etna and Vesuvius erupt in Vanilla. You can see them smoking on the battle mapes near them.

Yeah, I remember that. Near the beggining of each game, Etna would always erupt in Sicily.

If you bothered to spell check, I would not be laughing at your post right now.

Heh heh, "P.I.T." indeed. If you had bothered living up to your reputation, I would not be laughing at your excuse of a title right now.

01-08-2009, 06:52
Heh heh, "P.I.T." indeed. If you had bothered living up to your reputation, I would not be laughing at your excuse of a title right now.

And yet, I am perpetually banned from the backroom because of it.

Megas Methuselah
01-08-2009, 06:54
I guess that only explains the fact that the mob loves me more than you.

01-08-2009, 06:57
Not really you got in then started spamming.

Megas Methuselah
01-08-2009, 07:00
No, that reputation was established far and wide by the time I got in. This, in fact, shows how deeply the mods loved me for my spamming at the time. I was honoured to be granted admission into the backroom, something that you'll never get.

01-08-2009, 07:04
Lies. utter lies. I saw you even admit it on Aemilius's visitor page, don't try to trick me.

Megas Methuselah
01-08-2009, 07:08
Bah. I was lying to Aemilius, perhaps. He's so below me, that it's not even worth telling the truth to the kid.