PDA

View Full Version : Favourite cheese

Raz
01-27-2009, 08:24
Any cheese fans here?
My personal favs are camembert for any sort of crackers/biscuits etc. and strong, mature cheddar for anything else, like in sandwiches and for cooking.

Your turn. :cool4:

Cute Wolf
01-27-2009, 09:20
I'll just like cheese, no matter from where they come from.... at least my pizza delivery, burger, hotdogs, even my homemade instant noodle, is always with extra cheese topping... but the best cheese is still the mozarella... they're just like spicy bubblegum that capable to be swalloeed..

rasoforos
01-27-2009, 09:27
Dificult question...

...I LOVE cheese!

Its gotta be a list:

Feta
Haloumi
Kefalotyri
Emendal
Shropshire Blue
Very Mature cheddar
Dolcelatte

Many more too, and the stinkier the better!

Not a big fan of brie and camembert myself...

I had a very traumatic experience 2 months ago. I was visiting Malaysia and went to a Carreffour in Melaca (I work in the super market business and wanted to check how different it is from a local Carreffour). I looked for the Cheese isle...there wasnt one, there was only 1 meter worth of shelf dedicated to cheese and it only had those melted cheese nonsense you put on top of burgers! This is blasphemy! They do not eat cheese there!! Heretics...

Cute Wolf
01-27-2009, 10:35
Just forgive their blasphemy, as they didn't understand what they do...

Normal Malayans, as well as Indonesians, and another South East Asians didn't like cheese too much... even some of them hate their taste. I was an exception.

Fragony
01-27-2009, 11:07
Reijpenaar old and danish blue.

Subedei
01-27-2009, 14:33
Mountain cheese from my local dealer! Hell, it tastes good....spicy, melting on the tongue & awesome straight with good bread.

Gotta add Goat´s cheese, the one that melts away easy..hmmm.
Pecorino/ Parmesan for all sorts of Pasta

LittleGrizzly
01-27-2009, 14:45
Not a big fan off the strong stuff... anything with too much of a smell and i can't eat it

We have a local called '5 counties' which is 5 different cheeses slapped into one multicoloured block... thats pretty nice but mostly i eat mild cheddars...

seireikhaan
01-27-2009, 15:33
Pepper jack.

HoreTore
01-27-2009, 15:41
Like every other proper Norwegian, I eat Norwegia, a mild, yellow cheese. And the lighter brown cheese, who's name escapes me at the moment(fløtemysost?). And as a matter of fact, I'm just about to eat bread with "gräddost"(no idea what the english word might be, sorry...).

And since I'm no barbarian, my cheese gets cut properly, with this. (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Osthyvel_20050723_001.jpg)

PBI
01-27-2009, 16:15
the stinkier the better!

:yes:

Personal favourites:

Stilton
Gorgonzola
Very mature cheddar
Goat's cheese

Remember, if it doesn't reek of death, it isn't ready to eat yet.

Ramses II CP
01-27-2009, 16:34
Parmigiano-Reggiano. Good on... well... everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmesan

A good strong Swiss can do for me as well.

Can't eat stinky cheese, heck, I can't even get my face close to the stuff.

:egypt:

TosaInu
01-27-2009, 16:47
For daily use with bread and pasta: young Dutch cheese.

Hosakawa Tito
01-27-2009, 17:23
A few of my favorites not already mentioned:
English Stilton
7 year old Wisconsin Cheddar
Amish Cheese Curds *fresh from a local Amish maker*
Limburger *on fresh baked black bread topped with wild leeks-pure heaven*
Pecorino & Caprino Romano *can't eat pasta without it*
Smoked Gouda
Sharp Provolone

Thermal
01-27-2009, 20:02
Stilton makes me cringe, mild cheddar is about as complex as my cheese eating goes, though all cheese is just fermented mould so yeah, nice :beam:

Pannonian
01-27-2009, 20:38
:yes:

Personal favourites:

Stilton
Gorgonzola
Very mature cheddar
Goat's cheese

Remember, if it doesn't reek of death, it isn't ready to eat yet.
Roquefort. Smells like you've just done a number two and wiped up, but some of it got past the paper and onto your hands. For the full glory, don't smell the cheese in its native form, but crumble a little in your fingers, then smell your fingers.

Hooahguy
01-27-2009, 21:06
umm..... american cheese?
i love cheese, but i am far from an expert.... :shrug:

Thermal
01-27-2009, 21:08
im eating cheese and pickle sandwiches right now, just so y'know :balloon2:

Yoyoma1910
01-27-2009, 21:12
Wow, I always thought about making a cheese poll thread...

Um, I defiantly think the Basque make some of the finest cheeses in the world.

Reverend Joe
01-27-2009, 21:49
Various kinds of cheddar for me. I actually find that mild cheddar works much better on sandwiches; its flavor is better for mixing with the other flavors of a sandwich, and it melts much more evenly rather than having the oil separate. Sharp, mature cheddar is almost a dish on its own; mix it with some French bread, some olives and some butter or oil for the bread and you have the best drunk food ever.

Other than that, I enjoy provolone as a mild substitute for cheddar on poultry sandwiches, and I've recently found Muenster to be a good topping as well. However, I have yet to find another cheese I like on its own aside from a good, sharp cheddar.

:toff:

Tristuskhan
01-27-2009, 22:51
Am I the first french who contributes in this thread?:dizzy2:

Cheese is 50% of what I eat, so I'm close to an expert (and a darn' pretentious one, of course)

My daily meal is Comté: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comt%C3%A9_(cheese) , it's easy, I live inside the production area.

I have some tenderness for Valencay's goat cheese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valen%C3%A7ay_(cheese) and Ossau-Iraty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossau-Iraty (but only when I go in Euzkadi proper, straight from the producer).

I tasted (but just once alas) top-quality Cheddar, it was a delight.

But for me the very best is l'Etivaz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Etivaz , a very uncommon swiss cheese. Just like eating mountain flowers.

Good Ship Chuckle
01-27-2009, 23:17
Depends on what it's going with. :7teacher:

For sandwiches: Provalone
With Crackers: Pepperjack Cheddar
Best all around/multipurpose: Swiss (Just like their pocketknives, the swiss' cheese is good for just about any use.)

Tristuskhan
01-27-2009, 23:31
Errrh, what do you mean, "swiss cheese", there are at least one hundred very different cheeses in Switzerland.... and many are as different from others as beef is different from mutton.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-28-2009, 01:14
Cheddar cheese from Vermont is basically the best stuff out there. For a larger brand Cabot is pretty darn good, and well it's hard to go wrong. The sharper the better, and never get the low-fat cheddar because it has a rubbery texture, is not truly sharp and is generally awful.

Next up is probably fresh mozzarella. Delicious stuff especially melted.

Oh and cheddar loses sharpness when melted so melting it is almost a waste.

Reverend Joe
01-28-2009, 01:56

And thus entered the Nasty Cheese Titans.

:wink:

In all seriousness, I have heard good cheese tastes like rotten meat; I will leave such cheese to the apparent experts.

More cheddar for me anyway.

seireikhaan
01-28-2009, 04:09
umm..... american cheese?
i love cheese, but i am far from an expert.... :shrug:
:shocked2:

NO. NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :skull::skull::skull:

edit: To clarify, American Cheese is an abomination upon the world of cheese. If the UN has any justification for shackling the US with oppressive restrictions, it is because we introduced that scourge upon the world.

Meneldil
01-28-2009, 04:23
Any cheese that is not french, is not cheese.

Sorry guys :-(

They're all tasteless, except for a few exceptions here and there. Some day I hope a new Napoleon will conquer Europe so we can bring you the ultimate piece of French culture and undoubtedly superior civilization: french cheeses.

Edit : Okay, Swiss, Dutch and German cheeses qualify as actual cheese, but that's only because they've been influenced by France.

woad&fangs
01-28-2009, 04:40
1) The creator of American cheese is currently residing in the deepest darkest circle of hell, as will all his heretical followers.

2) Wisconsin cheddar is way better than Vermont cheddar.

3) I like the simple cheeses such as Cheddar, Brick, or Munster.

Yoyoma1910
01-28-2009, 05:15
Errrh, what do you mean, "swiss cheese", there are at least one hundred very different cheeses in Switzerland.... and many are as different from others as beef is different from mutton.

Likely Emmentaler. Well, the Americanized version of it, known as "Swiss Cheese."

I doubt he means Fribourgeois or even Gruyere, or anything else.

The term Munster means it's supposedly a monestary style cheese. The kind made in France or evn Germany are much stronger and have a different texture.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-28-2009, 05:21
1) The creator of American cheese is currently residing in the deepest darkest circle of hell, as will all his heretical followers.

2) Wisconsin cheddar is way better than Vermont cheddar.

Really you're going to go to Wisconsin for quality cheese?

How can the land which spawned the greatest maple syrup known to man not have the best cheddar cheese in the world?

Sure this is a logical fallacy, and I accept that, but the argument is still true despite its lack of logic and the two products go together very well. Coincidence?

So long as we agree that cheddar (and the sharp varieties in particular) is the king of cheeses I suppose we can exist in what one might call peace. Even though you speak blasphemy.

Yoyoma1910
01-28-2009, 05:44
So long as we agree that cheddar (and the sharp varieties in particular) is the king of cheeses I suppose we can exist in what one might call peace. Even though you speak blasphemy.

Technically, Brie is the, "King of cheeses."

Strike For The South
01-28-2009, 06:53
I'm quite partial to cheese whiz

Uesugi Kenshin
01-28-2009, 15:49
Technically, Brie is the, "King of cheeses."

Your supposed technicality confuses and disturbs me. That someone could label Brie as the "king of cheeses" is just sad, and if you are merely imparting upon me some obscure societal conclusion that Brie is somehow worthy of said title that just reaffirms my lack of faith in humanity, particularly its class and taste.

HoreTore
01-28-2009, 17:45

Cheese is 50% of what I eat, so I'm close to an expert (and a darn' pretentious one, of course)

My daily meal is Comté: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comt%C3%A9_(cheese) , it's easy, I live inside the production area.

I have some tenderness for Valencay's goat cheese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valen%C3%A7ay_(cheese) and Ossau-Iraty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossau-Iraty (but only when I go in Euzkadi proper, straight from the producer).

I tasted (but just once alas) top-quality Cheddar, it was a delight.

But for me the very best is l'Etivaz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Etivaz , a very uncommon swiss cheese. Just like eating mountain flowers.

Alright. Another point for my list of reasons to take a study-year in France.

Cheese, wine, french-talking women.... I'll see you in a year or two, Tristus :2thumbsup:

Meneldil
01-28-2009, 17:48
Your supposed technicality confuses and disturbs me. That someone could label Brie as the "king of cheeses" is just sad, and if you are merely imparting upon me some obscure societal conclusion that Brie is somehow worthy of said title that just reaffirms my lack of faith in humanity, particularly its class and taste.

Coming from someone who likes Cheddar, this statement is quite disturbing :no:

HoreTore, bring some blonde valkyries with you, if you don't mind.

HoreTore
01-28-2009, 17:56
HoreTore, bring some blonde valkyries with you, if you don't mind.

I'm blond ~:flirt:

Tristuskhan
01-28-2009, 19:15
Alright. Another point for my list of reasons to take a study-year in France.

Cheese, wine, french-talking women.... I'll see you in a year or two, Tristus :2thumbsup:

You're welcome.

TevashSzat
01-28-2009, 21:15
Never particularly liked cheese mainly because there aren't any available in China so I never got exposed to them at an early age.

I can say that I hate cheddar with a passion. It is just horrendous to me

||Lz3||
01-29-2009, 04:57
Emmental for me. :cool4:

Meneldil
01-29-2009, 06:10

Quite sure you're not a valkyrie right ?

Yoyoma1910
01-29-2009, 15:18

Uh. That was a declaration of Charlemagne, not me.

And the real Brie is a bit different then what most people get.

Fragony
01-29-2009, 15:32
I can say that I hate cheddar with a passion. It is just horrendous to me

That is because cheddar is just horrendous. But saying no to cheese is saying to to life. France is king, it's always fun checking out the local products. I can understand how it is an aquired taste but press on!

Viva la France :jumping:

What is up with american cheese by the way? Why is it so disliked?

drone
01-29-2009, 16:56
What is up with american cheese by the way? Why is it so disliked?

It's mass-produced for the lowest common denominator of taste buds, just like Bud Light.

Without getting too political here in the KPL, the outgoing Bush trade rep slapped a 300% tarriff on Roquefort as he was leaving, effectively banning it from the country. Any US fans of the smelly stuff better raid the shelves now.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-29-2009, 18:29
American cheese is basically cheddar that has been melted and mixed after being made to make it homogenous and generally tasteless. It really isn't good and does cheddar a grave injustice.

Fragony
01-30-2009, 08:02
Sounds like there is a good living to be made producing euro-style cheese. Nobody steps in?

Subedei
01-30-2009, 10:50
Oh this topic made me remeber "String Cheese" from back in the days when I used to live in Boulder Colorado. Is it still sold at your regular super market?!?!? Good in case U get the munchies [sp]....yet no taste AT ALL!

Fisherking
01-30-2009, 11:28

That explains a lot!!! :laugh4:

:oops:Sorry , I couldn’t resist…:embarassed:

As to cheeses

They are great! For the most part anyway. I love a lot of them, even some that must be eaten out of doors.

I like sampling new ones in new places. The Irish seem to have quite a few new and delicious ones.
Sheep cheese, goat cheese, no matter…haven’t found a horse cheese though.

But I must say that one of my very favorites is just good old Colby Longhorn…that I can’t get here.:no:

PBI
01-30-2009, 11:47
I like sampling new ones in new places. The Irish seem to have quite a few new and delicious ones.
Sheep cheese, goat cheese, no matter…haven’t found a horse cheese though.

That reminds me, I once tried a cheese that was advertised as being "four animal cheese". I count cow, goat and sheep, but none of us could work out what the fourth animal might be. Dog? Rat? Elephant?

Fisherking
01-30-2009, 15:29
That reminds me, I once tried a cheese that was advertised as being "four animal cheese". I count cow, goat and sheep, but none of us could work out what the fourth animal might be. Dog? Rat? Elephant?

Heh! I was once drinking what I thought was milk, until the guy next to me pointed to the label and said…from marine life sources…

What was that? I got no clue!

But horses are milk in some cultures…though I don’t know if they are cheese making cultures…and yes that can be a pun…

Do Cossacks make cheese?

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
01-30-2009, 16:03
Swiss Cheese rules all :clown: :yes:

Uesugi Kenshin
01-30-2009, 16:17
Sounds like there is a good living to be made producing euro-style cheese. Nobody steps in?

Extra Sharp Cheddar steps in my good sir.

Tristuskhan
01-30-2009, 18:54
Heh! I was once drinking what I thought was milk, until the guy next to me pointed to the label and said…from marine life sources…

What was that? I got no clue!

But horses are milk in some cultures…though I don’t know if they are cheese making cultures…and yes that can be a pun…

Do Cossacks make cheese?

Dunno, but Mongols do so. Mare milk cheese is a really fine very dry cheese, believe me.

Fragony
02-01-2009, 02:39
Extra Sharp Cheddar steps in my good sir.

That's really all there is? Cheddar? No local specialities?

KukriKhan
02-01-2009, 13:47
Limburger, on rye bread, with onion slice, brown mustard & sardines. With beer.

But only when the wife is away for a few hours. Or I'm camping/fishing. ~D

Fisherking
02-03-2009, 10:26
Dunno, but Mongols do so. Mare milk cheese is a really fine very dry cheese, believe me.

Whoopee!

But it is a little far for me to drive over and pick some up…
:no:

CountArach
02-03-2009, 10:41
I'm far from an expert, but I do like a nice Tasmanian Camembert.

rasoforos
02-03-2009, 12:31
I'm far from an expert, but I do like a nice Tasmanian Camembert.

A what Camembert? ...You copying Aussies! We don't make err....kangaroos so stop copying our protected delicacies! :yes:

What is next? Japanese moussakas? Anyone? :freak:

Maion Maroneios
02-03-2009, 15:14
Having both Greek and Dutch genes makes me a double-cheese lover, so I like many types of cheese. My favorite ones would be the following:

1) Feta
2) Graviera
3) Kefalotyri
4) Trikalino
5) Kefalograviera
6) Parmigiano
7) Edam
8) Old Amsterdam
9) Camembert

I also like Roquefort, but in small quantities and in liaison with some bread.

Maion

Hosakawa Tito
02-03-2009, 15:27

Fromunda cheese?

Limburger, on rye bread, with onion slice, brown mustard & sardines. With beer.

But only when the wife is away for a few hours. Or I'm camping/fishing.

Try it with wild leeks and she'll have to stay away at least 3 days.

American cheese is basically cheddar that has been melted and mixed after being made to make it homogenous and generally tasteless. It really isn't good and does cheddar a grave injustice.

The only cheese more bland than American cheese is a product called Farmer's cheese. All self respecting farmers should demand a name change...consistency of soggy tofu and less flavor than string cheese; not fit to feed the pigs.

HoreTore
02-03-2009, 21:00

Probably buffalo, like Mozzarella.

Strategos Alexandros
02-04-2009, 22:00
As an Englishman and therefore uneducated in matters of cheese I would have to say my number one is either Danish blue or Parkham farm extra mature cheddar.

Pannonian
02-05-2009, 15:54
I just had some goat cheese, which had been left out of the fridge for a couple of days, and was starting to stink. Strangely, it tasted better than ever.

Fragony
02-05-2009, 16:41
8) Aged Amsterdam Cheese (don't remember it's name, though it tasted a bit like Parmigiano)

Old Amsterdam, very good. But there is good and there is good

And this is good; http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/images/reypanaercut.jpg

Tristuskhan
02-05-2009, 16:55
I just had some goat cheese, which had been left out of the fridge for a couple of days, and was starting to stink. Strangely, it tasted better than ever.

:inquisitive: that's just the way it must be, nothing "strange" here.... Cheese is a living thing.

Maion Maroneios
02-06-2009, 13:01
Old Amsterdam, very good.
Yes! That's it! Thanks:wink:

Maion