PDA

View Full Version : Clearing the Air

FearedSangsara
11-04-2000, 09:37
Hello all,

Today as I had just finished playing a game inwhich I won, a player named Teufsomethin accused me of cheating. If you dont know, this teuf person is the infamous Demon Kanamori, aka sirenofchaos, aka nofear (please note, demon is not in the fearful ways clan) aka about 30 other names.

Now, usually I would just ignore this because being called a cheater has become so common that it deserves no attention. However many people who either don't know Demon or didnt know teufwhatever was demon, seemed to believe her and there was an air of confrontation in the lobby. So I am posting this to clear that air.

Fearful Ways and it's mebers DO NOT CHEAT. Nor have they ever cheated. We are well know and well liked by many. And those who know us know that we are what we say we are, a tight-knit clan with good members. If it ever comes into question that any member of Fearful Ways has or is cheating, there would be an immediate meeting between all members and immediate action would be taken. There is approxamitly 15 members in Fearful ways. We all know eachother and see eachother often. So please, know that we never have nor never will cheat. If you believe that you have played a FEAR member who cheated, do not hesitate to go to our forum at www.fearfulways.homepage.com (http://www.fearfulways.homepage.com) and post your proof.

Until that day,

your truely,

FearedSangsara

------------------
a.k.a. Sal Paradise

Obake
11-04-2000, 10:00
Hi Sal/FearedSangsara,

Accusations of cheating will not be tolerated on this forum. I have no doubt that you remember all of the problems that this caused at the old Dojo! I'm the newbie as far as moderating goes, but I believe that most people know me well enough to respect what I have to say.

So I'll say it here and now: There will be no public accusations of cheating on this forum without documented proof having been submitted to and validated by CA/DT first! Any such posts will be removed upon discovery. If you want to talk amongst yourselves that is fine, I have my own blacklist! Just don't do it here.

I have fought as an ally to the Fears long enough to know that they are ALL honorable. I also know who Teufelhunden/Demon/Siren is. I will be posting my views on this specific subject when I get online tonight (about 1hr).

Please be VERY careful when it comes to making accusations of cheating within our community. We all know that there are cheats, but until there is incontrovertible evidence, keep it amongst yourselves.

(For you old Dojo members here, think back to the thread about "The Judge"!)

Obake

TheRonin
11-04-2000, 10:09
Couldint have seaid it better myself Obake

------------------
"One who is a samurai must before all things keep in mind by day and by night the fact that he must die.."

Rob
11-04-2000, 10:17
I agree, the constant accusations have got to stop. In a battle earlier tonight my opponent dropped. Whilst I would expect him to be disappointed at this happening, I did not expect him to accuse me of cheating. These accusations went on and he advised other players not to play against me.

When I asked him how he thought I had cheated he did not respond, but instead said that he was a highly-ranked player and I was not, therefore I must have cheated.

I have seen this happen a number of times to other players and I do think that these accusations make it much more difficult to find the REAL cheats. At the moment everyone is so paranoid about ESCapers or whatever that when an innocent drop occurs, they shout 'cheat!'. Kinda like the boy who cried 'wolf!'.

The Black Ship
11-04-2000, 11:51
Anyone know why the Games chat doesn't have a moderator like we do here? http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/confused.gif That damn room can be truly horrible sometimes, what with the spamming and foul language. Now we'll have to add to the list,"you cheated, I have a picture" http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

Kurando
11-04-2000, 11:55
Obake;

And here everyone said you were just another pretty face... Good post!

Didz
11-04-2000, 15:55
On the subject of dropping:

I don't play a lot of MP games but when I do I have a specific problem with Dropping.

MY ISP is free but operates a 2 hour connection limit. So I have to be very careful to not to join a game just before the connection limit.

Unfortunately! time flies when your having fun and on a couple of occassions I have had my connection teminated during a game.

Very embarrassing but not cheating per se. I'm sure there must be other honourable players in the same situation.

Catiline
11-04-2000, 18:19
That's pretty much is the entire reason i don't play competitive games, thpough the reason's different. My pc's so stable it makes Tokyo look like it's sited no where near a fault line, and can and will just cease of it's own volition, time's up Ed, I'm going on standby now. Hence I don't want the hatred caused by dropping comp. games.

That combined with the fact I'm not terribly good http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif.

------------------
It's not a bug, it's a feature

[This message has been edited by Catiline (edited 11-04-2000).]

LinkOctavian
11-04-2000, 18:31
Yes i believe this cheating thing is out of hand now if you win a game you get called a cheater and are linched by the mob.
It has got to stop!!!

FearOrBeSori
11-04-2000, 23:45
I didn't say anything Oct. http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/net4/grenade.gif

lol - Sori

Yabusama
11-05-2000, 02:50
:mad The constant bickering (justified or not) on the offical forum could paint a very sorry picture of this online gaming community. I can well imagine many newbies reading the forum and thinking twice about playing online for fear of being accused of being a cheater or of cheating themselves.

This is not what this game needs, we need as many people as possible playing online together in a friendly way. Maybe the answer is to get rid of honour all together and just use battles won or something like it.

FearedSangsara
11-05-2000, 03:22
hhmm. battles won? Yeah, thats a great idea..

http://members.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/net7/gore.gif

Sorry, but I dont think thats a good idea. If the honor system is the best way IMO. The only thing is, I have yet to hear somebody explain it so that it can be understood. Thats why I created a thread "Idiots guide to the Honor System" hoping that somebody who understands it would lay it out for us in laymen's terms.

And about bickering driving people away, name one online game where people aren't accused of cheating on a regular basis. Thats just the way it goes. So much of the online audience is young kids who dont know how to take a loss gracefully. So I dont think thats a big deterant. A bigger deterant would be drops, lag, 1 server for the entire world, etc etc. However they have helped these issues with patch 1.12. They still arent great, dont be fooled, but they are livable now. And to prove it, during prime hours I see around 60-70 people on aty one time!!! The most I ever saw before 1.12 was MAYBE 40! So, it's getting better. Some local servers sure would be nice though. But EA isn't too worried I believe. They've sold a ton of STW games worldwide, they've made their fortunes.

This is for you EA.
http://members.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/net6/moon.gif

Sangsara

------------------
a.k.a. Sal Paradise

solypsist
11-05-2000, 05:05
the only thing thats getting out of hand are these smiley-faces

The Black Ship
11-05-2000, 05:19
Don't be bitter Soly http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/asian4/pnaka.gif

If you'd like we can show you how http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Rob
11-05-2000, 05:30
Damn smilies, burn in hell!!!

http://www.btinternet.com/~rjknight/smileyfire.gif

S.O.L
11-05-2000, 05:35
Well i have found a good way to avoid all the name calling and daft comment's on the chat server. Is just to drink a bottle of vodka and you then cant see the text on damn thing.

OR TYPE anything nasty in for that matter http://smilecwm.tripod.com/cwm/killtard.gif

------------------
The Gaming Union (http://cgi.thegamingunion.co.uk/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi)

Shogi
11-05-2000, 06:07
People who can't admit they were fairly beaten are the ones who whine 'cheater' the most. Even though a player may be of the highest rank, if he whines that a newbie must have cheated to beat him, he is just to proud to admit that with all the new people trying out online gaming ther just might be someone out there who doesn't suck his first time out.
People gotta accept that on any given day you can get thrashed. By a newbie playing his first game ever, to one who's been playing since the game came out. I'll be the first one to say that if you win you have every right to rub it in. I'll also be the first one to say that if you lose you just have to suck it up and admit you got beat.
Whining and accusations just show a lack of maturity and inability to face reality!

------------------
"The sword that kills is the sword that gives life."

Yagyu Munenori, 1632

[This message has been edited by Shogi (edited 11-04-2000).]

Shimazu Tokugawa
11-05-2000, 07:16
I think most of the online gaming community IS a very sorry bunch, no need to paint a picture of it...(so far I excluded the STW community from that, but I may change my mind).

The best proof are the disputes we had with several clans from AoE/AoK/HW/HW-C on this and other forums who arrived here with big words (I have not seen any action yet).

That's why I did not join a clan in for example Homeworld (although there are very good clans like OMO) or did online gaming in any other game I played, because I did not want to get into stupid, useless chatroom discussions with underaged, pimplefaced kids who talk a big game hiding behind their online ID after the high school QB beat them up the same morning because they are the school nerdherder....

They can call me what they want in the chatroom after they lost. We all have noticed the decline of manners/honor over the last few weeks like not congratulating the successful winner or honorable looser with the GG/VGG
That is something I find much more disturbing than some cheater-scream...

Humbley,
ST

------------------
"Strength and Honor for Clan Kenchikuka"

Rob
11-05-2000, 07:49
I kinda agree.... The STW community really surprised me simply because it was so welcoming when I first arrived! If I were a newbie arriving now I don't know what I would think, but 'welcoming' would not be a word that springs to mind.

I genuinely do believe that the STW community is mostly made up of good people and there are only a few who make trouble.

However I don't think being insulting about people helps (the nerdherder comment for a start) and it seems quite strange that you then go on to complain about the lack of civility shown by fellow players. I can only speak for myself, but I always congratulate my enemies for a good game, win or lose. I usually wish them good luck at the start too (only to frighten them tho http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif ).

Zen Blade
11-05-2000, 07:59
Personally, I think the honor system does need reworking. Especially when there are 2v2 or 3v3, etc...

I really dislike beginning a game only to find that I am playing with someone who doesn't like to talk with their ally and other stuff. Many times i will have a game where I get tons of kills, but my ally was (and I don't mean to be rude) just not very good. And in the end that hurts my honor, while I never mind losing honor in good games ... for example all of my fights against the Fear clan... it is very annoying when I fight well but lose due to a bad partner.
Also, when an ally drops, I think we should make an established policy of having the host press escape to end the game (if the side that lost the player requests an end to the game, of course).

also, I think that cheating is rather minimal in shogun (if you don't count all monk armies or ppl purposely choosing hill maps and just sitting there or if you don't count maps where somoeone sets up their opponent ahead of time).

However, I too have been berailed by Demon... only under her name of Trinity Terazawa (the one that only fights on Mikata ga hara, sitting on the hill). She decided to denounce my behaviour online one night when I didn't just charge straight at her, but instead decided to keep her distracted (by responding to her immature taunts) while moving up to another hill... she insisted that she could out wait me "all night" if needed. Eventually she decided on pressing escape when I began to attack her. oh well....

hmmmmm, don't think that last paragraph will win anyone over...

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil

Rob
11-05-2000, 09:06
Having seen the way the honour system has worked, I think that the best thing to do would be to scrap the honour system and base the ranking on the number of wins. This removes the fear of losing, so people can afford to lose a battle without having to complain about it. It would reward players for playing and winning, not bitching and cheating.

Yabusama
11-05-2000, 17:57
I must agree with the previous post that I too found the community very welcoming when I joined it a few months back, but for some reason the whole atmosphere has changed of late. I would suggest that people have become more aggressive because they have their high "honour" at stake, and they cannot transfer their scores to new names.

Why dont EA limit 1 online name per CD identification and do away with the honour system. I know many people like the honour system but the whole breakdown in online behaviour seems a worthwhile reason.

Just my thoughts.

Tenchimuyo
11-16-2000, 23:32
I'm with you man! Down with the smiles!

[This message has been edited by Tenchimuyo (edited 11-16-2000).]

Magyar Khan
11-17-2000, 19:54
i like smilies

i like the demon character, and i am sure it is NOT a women

i hate the demon when he goes to far..... but u can talk some sens in him but it needs some tact

we have spend so much talking about the honoursystem past months, but who will listen?

the clans as they are now are nice, and a multiplayer campaign option is needed badly.