PDA

View Full Version : Baseball.

Strike For The South
02-18-2009, 21:06
Friday marks the start of college baseball and I am excited. As a young'n I played C/1B/LF/RF and loved every minute of it. You can't beat baseball, you simply can't.

I am happy until November again because of this. I am a total baseball nerd to. I will go and take all the stats granted I will be hammered out of my mind but still.

Nothing beats a warm summer day a girl on your arm, a beer in your hand and sunflower seeds flying out of your mouth while you yell at blue.

I LOVE BASEBALL

Edit: Frontroom pleazzzzeeee.

Hooahguy
02-18-2009, 21:07
its a pity that baseball is dying....

GeneralHankerchief
02-18-2009, 21:08
I was talking with a Houstonian about this subject a couple of days ago. He said there was something about the sport that touched the soul. I'm compelled to agree. It just has "summer" written all over it.

Strike For The South
02-20-2009, 03:42
3 hours.

Beefy187
02-20-2009, 04:26
I love the atmosphere change in the ninth inning.

Full base, full count...

Love the thrilling moments between each throw.

I can't wait for both MLB and Japanese baseball league to start.. I reckon both Seattle Mariners and The Carp will do great this year.

seireikhaan
02-20-2009, 04:40
Go White Sox.

Not as big a baseball fan as I used to be, but I still find it a fun game. Good atmosphere, particularly on a cool summer night.

Veho Nex
02-20-2009, 14:22
Giants and A's versus each other in a world changing world series :D

Come one guys I want that to happen

LittleGrizzly
02-20-2009, 15:02
We usually have our women play 'rounders' the men go off and do manly things like, football and rugby :tongue:

The Fuzz
02-20-2009, 16:41
Played left field mostly when I was in the kiddie leagues, up to high school. Those of you that don't don't know much about baseball...that means I was really good.

*looks shifty*

Can't wait for the Cubs season to start. MLB.com has this awesome service where you pay $15 and get every radio station covering baseball streaming to your computer. So if you want to catch the game but have term papers to work on...well.. :)

Not to mention that when it's afternoon and that spring breeze comes in the window, and you're listening to the game...

Strike For The South
02-26-2009, 03:55
Texas Tech= 5-1 going into the California roadtrip :thumbsup:

Hosakawa Tito
02-26-2009, 17:02
Nothing beats a warm summer day a girl on your arm, a beer in your hand and sunflower seeds flying out of your mouth while you yell at blue.

Baseball is my favorite sport. My step-son turns 13 this spring and we are looking forward to the Little League season once again. I find myself enjoying the kid's & school league baseball more than the pro's. Yesterday was a mild and sunny day so when junior got home from school we played catch for an hour before it got dark for the first time this year. My arm's a little sore, but it brought back pleasant memories from my youth and highschool league days, and just playing catch with my Dad. :sunny:

Strike For The South
03-11-2009, 22:09
The Dutch beat the Dominicans! Oh my lanta.

The Spartan (Returns)
03-11-2009, 22:19
Football beats baseball =P

Reverend Joe
03-11-2009, 22:57
Baseball is not "Rounders." :brood: And it's a LOT more manly than any sport involving men in tights fondling balls and/or each other.

Can't wait for the Cubs season to start.

:2thumbsup: You know it, man... I'm really hoping they can make up for the last season. Seriously, how do you stay in 1st place all season long, only to get blown out of the water come playoffs?

Beefy187
03-12-2009, 00:26
The Dutch beat the Dominicans! Oh my lanta.

Yea that was amazing. And more amazing thing is.. WOW! People other then me who gives a damn about WBC :2thumbsup:

We got Cuba next up along with the tough Koreans again :wall:

JAG
03-13-2009, 00:55
Baseball RULZZZZZZZZZZZ. Man how I love baseball, one of the best games ever made.

Really looking forward to this season, especially as the Red Sox have such compelling storylines to follow, as well as the obvious fact that the Red Sox own and gonna win it all.

Every game, all year, here we come! - I normally end up failing my goal but seeing loads of the games! MLB.tv FTW.

The_Mark
03-13-2009, 16:22
Haven't really experienced baseball in any form, but Pesäpallo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pes%C3%A4pallo), Finnish Baseball, is a great sport, my favorite. Said to be the most tactical ball sport in the world, and I don't disagree. Vertical pitching makes the ball ever so much easier to hit and opens up the batter's repertoire and allows great accuracy, so one can exploit weak spots on the field, which is necessary, as to score a home run you actually have to bounce the ball off the field first, instead of hitting it straight into the crowd. As a result, the fielding team has to adapt its tactics according to the situation, the runners, the batter, the pitcher, the weather, the surroundings and the whatnot. To keep the runners at bay and to give the batting team as little time as possible the pitcher and the fielding team must keep the ball and themselves moving at all times, so there are few slow spells even in between batters.

Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yAwTUy104I)'s a sports report clip featuring some pesäpallo.

Not to mention, we've got carbon/glass/composite fiber bats, kevlar-reinforced gloves and stuff :beam:

Beefy187
03-24-2009, 08:12
Forgive me for the ressurection but....

WOOO WE WON World Baseball Classic!! GO JAPAN!!!

That is all :beam:

Good game Korea:2thumbsup:

Strike For The South
04-08-2009, 13:55
https://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3542/hh0011baseballposters.jpg

I only have 179 days of happiness left. :cry:

Vuk
04-08-2009, 14:13
Baseball is the best sport in the world...no contest. If more boys played baseball, a lot more of them would grow up into real men. My girl and I love to play catch, and to bat just for fun, but the only real baseball I ever played (you know, full teams, rules :P) was church games. :P I got sick of hypocracy though, so I stopped going to church years ago (any way, I am a little too old to play churchleague baseball now :P). Still, for me, nothing beats putting a mitt on and playing catch for a few hours on a hot summer day. It is a great way to spend a Sunday.

miotas
04-08-2009, 14:35
No no no, you've all got it wrong.

Cricket > everything :2thumbsup:

We have a saying over here for when something is wrong on every level

ITS JUST NOT CRICKET!

Which proves without a doubt that cricket is the best :laugh4:

MLB.com has this awesome service where you pay $15 and get every radio station covering baseball streaming to your computer. So if you want to catch the game but have term papers to work on...well.. :)

Not to mention that when it's afternoon and that spring breeze comes in the window, and you're listening to the game...

You need to pay to have the sport radio coverage on your pc? :inquisitive:

THAT'S JUST NOT CRICKET! :clown:

The Fuzz
04-08-2009, 14:44
You need to pay to have the sport radio coverage on your pc? :inquisitive:

THAT'S JUST NOT CRICKET! :clown:

:P

Well, when I lived too far away for my team's broadcast to reach me, $15 was a very small amount to get the enjoyment of listening to the same broadcasters I did growing up.

Also, go Cubs! :grin:

miotas
04-08-2009, 15:11
:P

Well, when I lived too far away for my team's broadcast to reach me, $15 was a very small amount to get the enjoyment of listening to the same broadcasters I did growing up.

Also, go Cubs! :grin:

That's still not cricket,

Anything on abc radio over here can be listened to online for free and most of the broadcasts are available to listen to whenever you want so if you miss the cricket you can catchup whenever.

Radio is free after all.

Vuk
04-08-2009, 15:23
Where I come from cricket is a noisy insect that drives you nuts at night, not a ball game. :P Baseball is for real men. ~;)

seireikhaan
04-08-2009, 16:04
FYI, my favorite player is A.J. Pierzynski.

Strike For The South
04-08-2009, 19:27
A.J.? He fights with Gullien all the time! Not to mention vastly overrated. ~:)

I'm a Varitek/Ryan Howard fan.

seireikhaan
04-08-2009, 19:49
A.J.? He fights with Gullien all the time! Not to mention vastly overrated. ~:)

I'm a Varitek/Ryan Howard fan.
Ozzie is awesome as well. And A.J. isn't overrated, he's a very solid catcher, hits a nice average, and is generally awesome.

Strike For The South
04-08-2009, 19:55
Ozzie is awesome as well. And A.J. isn't overrated, he's a very solid catcher, hits a nice average, and is generally awesome.

Eh, I'm just trying to start a fight.

I do love Ozzie though, one of the best managers in baseball

The Fuzz
04-08-2009, 22:10
Except for the part where he's not.

I love being a Cubs fan cos Sox fans always go 'your team sucks!' and we go 'yeah, they do.'

Then we have a beer and catch a lake breeze and look at attractive women whilst our team does some stuff on the field.

And no one gets shot :o

Beefy187
04-09-2009, 01:56
Looks like Red socks is off for a good start.

Go Dodgers :2thumbsup:

Samurai Waki
04-09-2009, 04:23
I Hate Watching MLB on TV. I'll just go watch the local Pioneer League Games.

Go Ospreys!

ajaxfetish
04-09-2009, 07:08
You can't beat baseball, you simply can't.
It really needs more violence. I think all the players should get a bat.

Ajax

Beefy187
04-09-2009, 09:40
It really needs more violence. I think all the players should get a bat.

Ajax

If every fielders have them, the batter will be out numbered when the fight occurs by 9 to 2 (including the fellow on the next batters circle)

If they must fight with bats, I demand a fair fight.

Or they can just play baseball

GeneralHankerchief
04-13-2009, 19:41
RIP, Harry (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090413_Phils_announcer_Harry_Kalas_rushed_to_the_hospital.html).

:cry:

Gregoshi
04-14-2009, 02:09
RIP, Harry (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090413_Phils_announcer_Harry_Kalas_rushed_to_the_hospital.html).

:cry:
Indeed. I was surprisingly choked up about this. I never watched much Phillies baseball, but it is hard to live in the Philly area and not hear his voice all the time. He was a good man and a great announcer.

Strike For The South
04-26-2009, 16:41
The Red Sox are on a tear! Now if we could just get ortiz to remember he was once a 300/40/120 guy. :brood:

Hosakawa Tito
04-28-2009, 13:29
Yesterday afternoon Junior got to pitch for the first time on his Little League Baseball team. Normally he plays 3rd base, but due to a couple kids being sick got his chance. He was wild as :daisy: the first two innings, but settled down after that and actually listened to his coach and I, and stopped trying to throw so hard. He found out that varying the speed of his pitches was more effective. Heh, he even threw a couple knuckleballs that my granddad showed him, wish he could have been there. We won the game 10-6, and had a great time. Hotdogs, curly fries, ice cream for dinner. Now that's baseball.:sunny: