PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the water - Any one interested in a glourious revoloution interactive?

Lord Winter
02-25-2009, 01:00
I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while. Anyway, I was thinking of a small scale, more personal/RP IH opposed to the big continent spanning nation/state ones. The goal would be that this would actually be completable and provide a more detailed setting. Basically the premise for the IH would be fairly political in character, with military action playing a distant second. It would start in 1685 either shortly after or shortly before Monmouth's Rebellion. It would mainly center around the reign of James II, his catholicization attempts and the succession. Each faction would have certain goals that it would have to meet to win. The game would end either when James is overthrown, William fails in an invasion or some other decisive event such as the recognition of the succession to James' son. Potential roles would include:

Majors:

James II
Weighs
Tories
William of Orange
Archbishop of Canterbury

Minors/optional

Ministers (I may not want to deal with that detail level it will depend on how it turns out.)
John Churchill or someone else representing the protestant military faction.
Catholic faction at the court
Dissenting religions

This is just a rough outline for now. So the question is, would anybody join if I started it?

King Kurt
02-27-2009, 11:44
You choose an interesting period of English history - one that is often overlooked, especially here in the UK. Our history tends to concentrate on the Tudors/ Stuarts/ Civil war then skips on to the conflict with Napoleon. The events are known - Monmouth, Bonnie Prince Charlie etc etc but not so much the background or broader political situation - perhaps us English get a bit sensitive about religion. I for one would be interested in playing in such an IH as a reason for finding out a bit more. However I think you might find it a bit difficult to drum up support as it is not a "sexy" subject. Mind you I would have said the same about 10th century France but the Carpetian IH took off!!

Lord Winter
03-03-2009, 01:47
Well IH histories are always hard to get the neccarsary amount of support to. Thanks for the comments King Kurt. Unless if I get a few more posters in the next couple days it looks like I will not have enough support to start this.

King Kurt
03-03-2009, 13:49
I think that our community can only support 2 or 3 active IHs at once - the players are often the same in most threads. Maybe you could float it when interest flags in one of the current ones - but Kage's Japanese one has had a new lease of life and Franc's Concert of Europe is going strong, so it may be a while. You could try a short one of say the Monmouth rebellion - we control Monmouth through a series of decisions - that would be fun and whet people's interest for the period.

Lord Winter
03-06-2009, 05:31
I think that our community can only support 2 or 3 active IHs at once - the players are often the same in most threads. Maybe you could float it when interest flags in one of the current ones - but Kage's Japanese one has had a new lease of life and Franc's Concert of Europe is going strong, so it may be a while. You could try a short one of say the Monmouth rebellion - we control Monmouth through a series of decisions - that would be fun and whet people's interest for the period.

Your probably right about the size of the community. I'll shelf this for now and my come back to it latter if there's an opening.

Lord Winter
03-27-2009, 04:52
Now that Rhyfelwyr's IH is over any intrest?

Peasant Phill
03-27-2009, 09:34
What the hell, I'm interested.
As the 'restoring catholicism' IH doesn't seem to take off (always a bad sign).
I'm not familiar with the setting though.

Ignoramus
03-31-2009, 04:02
I'm certainly interested. This is a very interesting part of English history.

Lord Winter
03-31-2009, 05:02
Okay if we can get one more I'll be comfortable starting. I'll begain starting a formalized first post with the beginning story and offical rules in the meantime. Starting to favor a start date at the beginning of Momouth's rebellion, however I think he'll be a NPF as he had no chance of sucess anyway. The importance lies in the context which the event was set.

Csargo
03-31-2009, 05:08
I'm interested.