PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie of All Time

Vuk
03-07-2009, 22:12
For what you think it contributed to the movie world (or to the world in general). That does not mean it has to be deep, it could be funny (like Monty Python), awesome (like Doom, LotR, etc), historical (Timeline, etc) or whatever. Nominate which you think is the best here, even if it has already been nominated. I will pick the 9/10 that recieve the most nominations and put them on a poll.
For me...well, if it is not nominated, it will be #10. I seriously think it will be though. :beam:

A Very Super Market
03-07-2009, 22:35
Can you submit movies that are so bad they are good?

If so, I nominate "Mad Dog Time"

Quintus.JC
03-07-2009, 22:38
Indiana Jones - the first trilogy.

Togakure
03-07-2009, 22:43
The notion of "best" when considering things like this is purely subjective, hence, I use the term "favorite." There are so many great films ... but if I had to pick one, my favorite would be Shichinin No Samurai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Samurai), Seven Samurai. The film speaks for itself; no explanation is needed.

desert
03-07-2009, 22:52
There is no best movie of all time, just as there is no best book or best videogame.

I have no favorites.

Lemur
03-07-2009, 22:54
Yup, hard to top Seven Samurai.

I think awesomely bad movies deserve their own poll. Riki-Oh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh:_The_Story_of_Ricky), for example, is so bad that it transcends all boundaries of rational thought and resides on its own sublime level of awfulness.

Pannonian
03-07-2009, 23:01
For me, Dances With Wolves has the most complete combination of all the filmic arts.

Puzz3D
03-07-2009, 23:56
Shichinin no samurai

Strike For The South
03-08-2009, 00:17
I'm not naming just one.

The Godfather
Patton
Goodfellas
The Alamo (1960)
History of The World Part I
Blazing Saddles
Unforgiven
Tombstone

Rhyfelwyr
03-08-2009, 00:39
Gladiator, I think I could watch that film right through in my head if I tried.

Moros
03-08-2009, 01:06
A Clockwork Orange
Space Oddesey
2001: A Space Odyssey
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Matrix I
Being John Malkovich
Cidade de Deus/City of God
the good, the bad and the ugly
La vita รจ Bella
Natural Born killers
Seven Samurai
The Big Lebowski
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Forrest Gump
Rain Man
Fight Club

Reverend Joe
03-08-2009, 01:28
Man, I feel like the Seven Samurai is pretty damn hard to follow, but I still want to nominate my personal favorite, Cool Hand Luke. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Hand_Luke)

Fragony
03-08-2009, 01:36
Festen, Danish movie. It's so very, very good,

Beefy187
03-08-2009, 01:54
I would want to support my countries film Shichinin no Samurai but since its already mentioned, I will go Children Of Men and Batman-Dark Knight and maybe the Matrix Trilogy

Starwars as well. That movie meant a lot in the world of cinema I reckon.

Fixiwee
03-08-2009, 05:02
Star wars - aka the holy trilogy

Hooahguy
03-08-2009, 05:07
hm...
i nominate Blackhawk Down

InsaneApache
03-08-2009, 11:47
For all round comedy and drama I nominate 'One flew over the cuckoos nest'.

For sheer difference, 'Man bites dog'.

For mind games, 'Bunny lake is missing'.

Last but not least, for genius comedy the original 'Producers'.

Vuk
03-08-2009, 11:52
Hmmm...lots of people saying Seven Samurai. I have never seen that, but I saw a movie with a plot just like it. (which was lousy BTW) I will have to see it some time, it sounds like it could be ok.
lol Moros, I knew a Space Oddesey would make it into the nominations. :P I never understood why that was so popular. :P To each his own though. I will put a poll up in a few days, so there is still time to nominate more/second nominations.

Moros
03-08-2009, 12:05
Hmmm...lots of people saying Seven Samurai. I have never seen that, but I saw a movie with a plot just like it. (which was lousy BTW) I will have to see it some time, it sounds like it could be ok.
lol Moros, I knew a Space Oddesey would make it into the nominations. :P I never understood why that was so popular. :P To each his own though. I will put a poll up in a few days, so there is still time to nominate more/second nominations.

Not only a good movie, when you have enough time, but mostly the sheer amount of innovation in direction. It's the Trout Mask Replica of movies. Most people won't like it, most people haven't really seen it, but the influence and innovations it had.

Vuk
03-08-2009, 12:08
Not only a good movie, when you have enough time, but mostly the sheer amount of innovation in direction. It's the Trout Mask Replica of movies. Most people won't like it, most people haven't really seen it, but the influence and innovations it had.

Kewl, I will definately see it then. From what I read on wikipedia it sounded good.

Quietus
03-09-2009, 08:35
Ronin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SShMYqzAxqo) was good all throughout, although the car chases were a bit too long and overdone.

Some that's not mentioned yet: Gattaca, The Prestige and Pitch Black.

pevergreen
03-09-2009, 11:11
Hmmm...either 12 Angry Men (old 1956 version gogogo!)
or The Princess Bride (cannot beat WIFOM or Inigo Montoya.)

naut
03-09-2009, 11:59
The ending is so much more epic when played with Pink Floyd's Echoes instead of the original soundtrack.

I don't remember my favourite, AFAIK it was good I guess. :shrug:

King Henry V
03-09-2009, 14:42
Dr Strangelove, The Third Man and Brief Encounter are all conspicuous by their absence on what has been mentioned sp far.

Fixiwee
03-09-2009, 17:11
The lack of star wars nerds on thisw board is disturbing me. Where are all the geeks? :square:

LittleGrizzly
03-10-2009, 02:29
The last samurai, Idiocracy and LOTR TTT (though the whole trilogy was pretty good) hard to put it down to just one

Matrix may have gotten a mention if the sequels didn't dilute its coolness for me...