PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2, best thing that ever happened to the multiplayer FPS genre

The Spartan (Returns)
03-09-2009, 20:20
Yeah.. I'm late to the party so what.

Anyone else in love with this perfect game?

My favorite maps are: Dustbowl, Gold Rush, and Badwater Basin

Favorite classes: Spy, Pyro

Fragony
03-10-2009, 10:51
Ha was the best thing last year, now we have Left 4 Dead and Killzone 2 :2thumbsup:

pevergreen
03-10-2009, 10:54
Doom wins.

Also, to quote sarcasticgamer.com: "Killzone 1, sucked before, so what made you think we want it [Killzone 2] more?"

Also, L4D rulez.

Fragony
03-10-2009, 11:37
Also, to quote sarcasticgamer.com: "Killzone 1, sucked before, so what made you think we want it [Killzone 2] more?"

Oh how little they now. Fantastic multiplayer.

Fixiwee
03-10-2009, 15:08
Shooters on consoles are just so wrong.

Fragony
03-10-2009, 15:31

PC gamers often forget about the analogue movement, if you have lined up your shot vertically you have much more control when strafing, on the pc it's just left right forward backward all at the same speed, much easier to correct your aim with a gamepad. A PC player will win from a console player in Unreal Tournament but probably have a much harder playing Call of Duty where cover is important and single shots can kill.

edyzmedieval
03-10-2009, 15:57
I don't understand why everyone loves this game so much. People, wake up, it's a friggin cartoon!!!
I find it okay, but not as enjoyable as Day of Defeat Source or even CounterStrike.

Husar
03-10-2009, 16:05

I thought so before I actually thought about it and then tried it and I must say that sounds like you never tried a shooter on a console because for me it works surprisingly well.

Fixiwee
03-10-2009, 17:04
I thought so before I actually thought about it and then tried it and I must say that sounds like you never tried a shooter on a console because for me it works surprisingly well.
I have a PS2 with tons of games. Maybe it evolved with next-gen consoles but I remember stopping to play Killzone1 because the handling was so dreadfull.

Anyway, back to topic. TF2 is a great game. It's like a snack (NOMM NOMM), I play it once in a while, it's light and I enjoy it. What more can I say.

Alexander the Pretty Good
03-10-2009, 17:28
It's right up there with MTW and TIE Fighter for my Best Games Ever. It's all about the little things (playing a great round as a sniper, finding a nice spot for your sentry gun, just watching really great gameplay all around) coming together for an awesome team experience. When you stop the cart just short of the final point and you're hanging on for dear life, it's magic. And it's probably the only game I laugh at at least once a game, no matter how much I've seen it all. To top it all off, I got it with the Orange Box, the great deal in the history of gaming.

/me lights a spy on fire

EDIT: And the audio/visual/atmosphere design is inspired. Check out some of the "Meet the" videos (warning language, cartoon explodey bits):

Sniper (http://store.steampowered.com/app/5051/)
Scout (http://store.steampowered.com/app/5032/)
(there are more, just look them up on Youtube/Steam)

Fragony
03-10-2009, 18:14
I have a PS2 with tons of games. Maybe it evolved with next-gen consoles but I remember stopping to play Killzone1 because the handling was so dreadfull.

The Killzone games have very odd controls, nothing like your ordinary shooter.

Monk
03-10-2009, 18:19
TF2 was the best thing until they added loss of control mechanics, ie stuns, into the game with the scout update. There's nothing more frustrating than a scout stunning you, running off, and having a soldier or a heavy come by and slaughter you before the stun runs out.

I guess it's on to L4D to get my shooter fix. :shame:

The Spartan (Returns)
03-10-2009, 19:54
Ha was the best thing last year, now we have Left 4 Dead and Killzone 2 :2thumbsup:Is Left 4 Dead really that good? I've played a little before... It seems like some run 'n gun game with the only strategy is on how to survive... which doesn't seem complex.
The reason why I avoided it in the early release is because it only had a few maps and I didn't know whether the DLC is free. Since it is, I'm planning to get it some day.

I tried the Killzone 2 demo... and not too impressed. The cover system, and graphics were really nice... otherwise nothing too special. And I HATED the slow camera speed/sensitivity. I turned up the sensitivity all the way up, and I felt like I was wearing armor. I know it's part of the game, and I'll probably see the beauty in it if I play it enough, but right now it's annoying.

TF2 was the best thing until they added loss of control mechanics, ie stuns, into the game with the scout update. There's nothing more frustrating than a scout stunning you, running off, and having a soldier or a heavy come by and slaughter you before the stun runs out.

I guess it's on to L4D to get my shooter fix. :shame:Personally I don't mind the Scout update... the stun is annoying sometimes though.

03-10-2009, 19:54
The scout phase is mostly over, from what I've seen. I don't see it as much more disruptive than ubers, really. It's frustrating to run into an uber going the other way in a tunnel. But it's over quickly. ~;p

Fragony
03-10-2009, 20:37
Is Left 4 Dead really that good?

Yes, it's gloriously entertaining.

Jolt
03-10-2009, 21:31
I bet you since you wrote that title, that you haven't played RTCW: ET for sure.

Xiahou
03-10-2009, 23:41
For a couple years in college TFC was the biggest game on my radar. Similarly, I loved TF2 when it came out, but all of these constant unlockable addons are really starting to turn me off of it. The appeal of the game was its simplicity and steadily adding new gear takes away from the purity of the game and also threatens to upset the balance that makes it so much fun to play.

I'd rather Valve spend their time making new well thought out maps or gameplay modes. How is it that after all this time, we still don't have the Hunters mode from TFC?

Mongoose
03-11-2009, 03:53

I played Call of Duty 4 for about a year on the 360 and I never really got used to it. PC just feels easier for me.

Is Left 4 Dead really that good? I've played a little before... It seems like some run 'n gun game with the only strategy is on how to survive... which doesn't seem complex.
The reason why I avoided it in the early release is because it only had a few maps and I didn't know whether the DLC is free. Since it is, I'm planning to get it some day.

Left4Dead probably has the most strategy and team work of anything I've played. Once you get into it, it is actually very complex, even if the goal is survival. There are run and gun moments, but also many careful planning moments. And if you're not working together as a team pretty much the entire time somebody is going to get murdered. It's the type of game where you actually sort of need a mic to be effective.

A PC player will win from a console player in Unreal Tournament but probably have a much harder playing Call of Duty where cover is important and single shots can kill.

That's not a fair comparison because console shooters like Call of Duty 4 have auto-aiming mechanics. On the PC version of Call of Duty 4, raising your sights does NOT bring you to the nearest target, for instance. I'd prefer to be playing a version of the game that doesn't need to partially hold your hand to compensate for the annoying control scheme.

Then again, despite that, I did enjoy Call of Duty 4 a lot. games on consoles can be plenty of fun; I just sort of prefer PC.

As for Team Fortress, I am also fairly new to this. I like it, but there are some issues that I'm having. For instance, when ever you play as a medic, there are some servers were you're going to end up with some (insert word that would have to be censored) whinging and swearing at you pretty much no matter what you do. If you heal the soldier instead of the heavy, the heavy spends the next ten minutes screaming at you. If you heal the heavy instead of the soldier, the soldier yells at you. If you're trying to keep a heavy alive and a guy on fire runs up to you, the heavy will scream at you if you stop to save the burning guy; and the burning guy will act like you murdered his family or something if you don't stop healing the heavy to save him. I know that I'm not a great medic, but I have to make choices, and it is in fact normal for people to die sometimes in this game.

BTW any advice for playing as a medic?

The Spartan (Returns)
03-11-2009, 04:18
As for Team Fortress, I am also fairly new to this. I like it, but there are some issues that I'm having. For instance, when ever you play as a medic, there are some servers were you're going to end up with some (insert word that would have to be censored) whinging and swearing at you pretty much no matter what you do. If you heal the soldier instead of the heavy, the heavy spends the next ten minutes screaming at you. If you heal the heavy instead of the soldier, the soldier yells at you. If you're trying to keep a heavy alive and a guy on fire runs up to you, the heavy will scream at you if you stop to save the burning guy; and the burning guy will act like you murdered his family or something if you don't stop healing the heavy to save him. I know that I'm not a great medic, but I have to make choices, and it is in fact normal for people to die sometimes in this game.

BTW any advice for playing as a medic?Ignore their pleas, just heal the wounded first and buffer the strongest second.

ALWAYS uber the Demo, that's more important than ubering the heavy, soldier, or pyro. If a team only had ubers and medics, I'm sure they would always win. The demo is the most effective at taking out sentries and when ubered...

Healing targets priority:
Again, always heal as many as the wounded as you can, then buffer.
1.Heavy
2.Soldier
3.Pyro
4.Demo
5.Medic w/ uber

Uber Priority:
1. Demo
2. Heavy
3. Soldier
4. Pyro

Never buffer spies. Keep a clean distance between you and your healing patient. Run in odd patterns when healing to avoid damage and backstabs.

A Very Super Market
03-11-2009, 04:46
Oh yeah, the online population has a small number of raging idiots, endemic to fast-respawn 32 player maps. Avoid as much as possible.

Husar
03-11-2009, 13:39
That's not a fair comparison because console shooters like Call of Duty 4 have auto-aiming mechanics. On the PC version of Call of Duty 4, raising your sights does NOT bring you to the nearest target, for instance. I'd prefer to be playing a version of the game that doesn't need to partially hold your hand to compensate for the annoying control scheme.

IIRC I even turned that off, I find it annoying when a game overrides my input, it still seems to do that now and then but mostly it doesn't I think. In multiplayer that is.
I haven't played Bad company in a while but generally I try to turn any sort of auto aim off, except in GTA IV, though even there sometimes no auto aim works better.
I'm certainly not a console shooter crack but I don't have any big problems aiming with the PS3 controller in these games, the aim in some games like Uncharted is a bit bad though, usually because they sort of speed up the aiming disproportionally the more you push the analogue stick, that sort of disproportionate stuff usually ticks me off even more than auto aim. :wall:

Spino
03-13-2009, 00:16
What a pack of n00bs, I can't believe nobody has advocated Counter Strike! I mean cmon kids, it is only THE most popular online fps ever made! More people are playing CS at any given moment than all other online fps games combined!

For a couple years in college TFC was the biggest game on my radar. Similarly, I loved TF2 when it came out, but all of these constant unlockable addons are really starting to turn me off of it. The appeal of the game was its simplicity and steadily adding new gear takes away from the purity of the game and also threatens to upset the balance that makes it so much fun to play.

I'd rather Valve spend their time making new well thought out maps or gameplay modes. How is it that after all this time, we still don't have the Hunters mode from TFC?

You played TFC in COLLEGE?!?! Damn, you're younger than I thought. I was playing two player Doom deathmatches over direct modem connections when you were still in grade school!

LittleGrizzly
03-13-2009, 01:03
You played TFC in COLLEGE?!?! Damn, you're younger than I thought.

Hell, your not the only one. I figured the guy was like mid Thirties...

Husar
03-13-2009, 01:34
I also always though Xiahou sounds like a grumpy old man. ~;)

Xiahou
03-13-2009, 08:08
Hell, your not the only one. I figured the guy was like mid Thirties...31. And getting older by the day. ~;p

You played TFC in COLLEGE?!?! Damn, you're younger than I thought. I was playing two player Doom deathmatches over direct modem connections when you were still in grade school!I was probably playing it then too- single player only for me though. My first "gaming PC" was a Color Computer 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Color_Computer#Color_Computer_2_.281983.E2.80.931986.29), that I must've gotten when I was 6 or 7. :beam:

Monarch
03-13-2009, 13:23
PC gamers often forget about the analogue movement, if you have lined up your shot vertically you have much more control when strafing, on the pc it's just left right forward backward all at the same speed, much easier to correct your aim with a gamepad. A PC player will win from a console player in Unreal Tournament but probably have a much harder playing Call of Duty where cover is important and single shots can kill.

Please, don't even try. Whilst I disagree with the guy you responded to (that they are "wrong"...they can be very fun), games like CoD have alot of auto aim.

03-13-2009, 20:48
What a pack of n00bs, I can't believe nobody has advocated Counter Strike! I mean cmon kids, it is only THE most popular online fps ever made! More people are playing CS at any given moment than all other online fps games combined!

I found what little I played of CS to be too much lone wolfing against better wolves. :sweatdrop: What I like about TF2 is even if there are one or two spectacular player on the other team, they can be beat with some solid teamwork.

Maybe I'm a just a n00b, Gramps. :P

RtCW: ET was really fun though, back in the day.

Jolt
03-19-2009, 12:12
Indeed was ATPG. I quit it years ago, now that RTCW 2 is coming out, I'm surely gonna buy it. I was awesome with the rifle.

Banzai!
03-20-2009, 01:24
I don't think this game is very good. I got TF2 on the basis of my good opinion of Left 4 Dead. I was expecting a game with lots of sly humour (after watching the Meet The... vids) and multiplayer replayability. Instead we have a lot of 1-D classes, no TFC grenades and very little ingame humour. I should have got COD:WaW ... then I would have been able to play Nazi Zombies .... sigh

coalition
01-15-2010, 17:07
Favourite game. I like it's graphic, comedic value and uh....It's just fun.

I have praised this game for it's graphical style, balanced gameplay, comedic value and for its use of full character personalities in a dedicated multiplayer game.

Take it like a man shorty! How did that turn out for you Dummy? Thanks for standing still wanker! You best be down...MHHPHMMFGG (Pyro) Oh dear I have made quite a mess....Need a dispenser here! MAGGOTS.

TF2 quotes and taunts have been completely glued to my head. :beam:

Meet the "<insert TF2 character>" are also great to watch, wonder when the Medic and the Pyro comes out?

*Engineer, Sniper, Soldier and Pyro are my favourite classes.

Subotan
01-15-2010, 19:00
I love TF2. it's way more relaxing and yet more strategic than any other FPS I've seen. The servers I'm on don't take themselves too seriously, which is exactly what I want from a game.

Ignore their pleas, just heal the wounded first and buffer the strongest second.

Again, always heal as many as the wounded as you can, then buffer.
1.Heavy
2.Soldier
3.Pyro
4.Demo
5.Medic w/ uber

Never buffer spies. Keep a clean distance between you and your healing patient. Run in odd patterns when healing to avoid damage and backstabs.

As a medic you're number one priority is getting charged (Unless, for example, you're defending in goldrush, where keeping as many people alive for as long as possible is more important than keeping one player alive for 10 seconds). Keeping people alive is a bonus of your actions. Medics should always be ready to abandon their patients if there is no way you can keep them alive, as healing does not make you invulnerable. A medic who doesn't uber at least once in a standard goldrush assault is a waste of a character.

ALWAYS uber the Demo, that's more important than ubering the heavy, soldier, or pyro. If a team only had ubers and medics, I'm sure they would always win. The demo is the most effective at taking out sentries and when ubered...

Uber Priority:
1. Demo
2. Heavy
3. Soldier
4. Pyro

That's only true if you're problem is a lot of sentries. Often, the others can be more effective, especially the pyro in an enclosed space, or a heavy if there's not a large amount of sentries.

01-15-2010, 19:33
Yeah I can attest to that demo is not always #1 (though he is against sentries). I play demo almost exclusively these days (though sometimes a natascha heavy) and I'm not that good unless I'm ambushing someone or going after a sentry, and an uber is wasted with the former.

I wish there were more servers than only ran the good stock maps with no added sounds or nonsense (beyond I guess Half Life stats). Nonsense should be player-generated, not server-generated.

Jolt
01-15-2010, 19:44
Indeed was ATPG. I quit it years ago, now that RTCW 2 is coming out, I'm surely gonna buy it. I was awesome with the rifle.

Lol, I didn't end up buying RTCW 2, but the game sucked epically. Clever me, saving up some 50€. :2thumbsup:

01-16-2010, 06:03
I think I tried the demo for that. Wasn't really impressed.

Beskar
01-16-2010, 06:36
Best thing that ever happened to the multiplayer FPS genre was Planetside.

Team Fortress is Cartoon Graphics from the Incredibles, that is it.

01-16-2010, 07:04
I'll send you the download link next free weekend. :smug:

pevergreen
01-16-2010, 09:43
Played it, massive 'meh'

Battlefield is better.

Subotan
01-16-2010, 13:29
Best thing that ever happened to the multiplayer FPS genre was Planetside.
Never played it, so I don't have an opinion, although it is obvious that Goldeneye was the most important Multiplayer FPS ever.

Team Fortress is Cartoon Graphics from the Incredibles, that is it.
Clearly, you have never played TF2, or you'd know that it isn't that.

Battlefield is better.
Never played it. Heard only bad things.

pevergreen
01-16-2010, 14:22
Battlefield requires co-operation. It isnt for someone who wants the normal deathmatch.

edyzmedieval
01-16-2010, 15:40
For some reason, I never enjoyed TF2. I found it a bunch of cartoons shooting each other for fun with no clear aim in sight honestly. If I wanted that type of fun, HL2 Deathmatch is way better, and cheaper.

And in my case, TF2 ruined one of my favourite FPS because Valve decided to do experiments on it and then apply what they learned from my game to TF2. The game is Day of Defeat: Source.

Beskar
01-16-2010, 16:31

Or that I actually own it and do know what I am talking about....

It is basic Team-FPS with cartoony Incredibles graphics.

01-16-2010, 20:02
Battlefield requires co-operation. It isnt for someone who wants the normal deathmatch.

And Team Fortress 2 is the exact same.

For some reason, I never enjoyed TF2. I found it a bunch of cartoons shooting each other for fun with no clear aim in sight honestly. If I wanted that type of fun, HL2 Deathmatch is way better, and cheaper.
There is no deathmatch in TF2 (except for Arena maps, and those aren't exactly DM either). TF2 has exactly as much of an objective as the Battlefield games or any other objective-oriented team based multiplayer.

And I don't see why stylized graphics are a bad thing. TF2 will never be competing with Crysis for it's graphics (let's be honest Battlefield can't hold a candle to Crysis graphics-wise). And TF2 drips character rather than the generic battlefield games.

Greyblades
01-17-2010, 00:41
http://api.ning.com/files/Vh7by9YJkBb4Pf4q-CxarjdPxBh01MirsXv1-uHxtAk_/banner01a.jpg
If that isnt cartoony, I dont know what is.

A Very Super Market
01-17-2010, 01:16
I believe he was rebutting the argument that TF2 is nothing but cartoon-y graphics.

Jolt
01-17-2010, 01:55
Thing is, no matter how good you think TF2 can be, it cannot get epic enough to this point (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghOS0HNGqnE).

Greyblades
01-17-2010, 03:00
Call me crazy but that doesnt seem to me to be particually epic as far as ww2 shooters go. Could have something to do with the fact that I didnt like the music but still.

01-17-2010, 03:09
It's just a collection of kills, some more impressive than others. There are millions for TF2 as well. It just doesn't hold real appeal for me. Getting an amazing kill (or even receiving one) is great but frag videos don't take into account the hours spent playing between them without rocket juggling someone. Also, frag videos legally require obnoxiously bad music to be playing in the background.

Subotan
01-17-2010, 03:10
And TF2 doesn't?

For some reason, I never enjoyed TF2. I found it a bunch of cartoons shooting each other for fun with no clear aim in sight honestly.
You could say that about any multiplayer FPS ever created.

If I wanted that type of fun, HL2 Deathmatch is way better, and cheaper.
Lo and behold, the only complaint anyone has ever made about the price of the Orange Box.

I believe he was rebutting the argument that TF2 is nothing but cartoon-y graphics.

Correct.

Monk
01-18-2010, 20:56
I owned TF2 for over two years but didn't give it an honest shake for a really long time. It was just an oddity that sat in my steam list never getting attention while I played games like Modern Warfare. About mid-point last year a friend convinced me to reinstall it and I had some reasonable fun - but it wasn't until the WAR! update that i really saw TF2 at its best. Sure sollys and demos were spammed but holy crap that was the most fun I ever had in an online shooter.

The over the top, bad 1960s spy novel presentation is great and something I wish we saw more of in games today. But then again even when I didn't like it, i was always a huge fan of the characterization. Any company that devotes that much time to the look and feel of their game is at least on the right track imo.

I have to agree with others in that TF2 is very similar, at least in coordination and teamwork. Its the kind of shooter I play when I wanna be apart of a collective, where-as if I want straight up deathmatch I play MW2. The initial zerg moments when the gates drop might give you throw backs to simplistic, no brain games, but its finding ways to break through a sentried hallway or engineering a cart rush that really make the game stand out for me.

I don't think there's anything better than being on a server with all talk and just hanging out in a corner as a spy with cloak and dagger. And RIGHT as a a soldier/demo/heavy/whatever tells his medic to ubercharge... backstab! The collective sigh is priceless. :2thumbsup:

Subotan
01-18-2010, 21:23
This thread makes me want to play TF2.

Right now.

Jolt
01-19-2010, 10:24
Call me crazy but that doesnt seem to me to be particually epic as far as ww2 shooters go. Could have something to do with the fact that I didnt like the music but still.

It isn't epic in terms of graphics or eye candy. But in terms of Multiplayer Tactical FPS, Enemy Territory is the very best.

Obviously frag movies don't show the tactical side of things (In the game there are those which are better in fights and those which are better on the tactical side. While I don't aim as well as some of my companions, I was one of the best on the tactical side) because they only show massive amounts of frags being done by one player and forget the tactical side in which the player is playing. The only frag movies I can remember of that slightly show the tactical side is the "Welcome to ET" which I have already linked in the CoD4 thread, as well as this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_g1SQOx1I), which is a follow-up of the greatest clans of ET, Modus Operandi in Australian Grand Final with the private in-game tactical chat and it shows better than any random movie the implications of the tactical side of the game. It's not just attacking an objective. You have to accomplish a bucketload of them to win the map along with assorted tactics that that requires.

CrossLOPER
01-22-2010, 03:07
I love this game and I love the Source versions of the orignal maps from TFC.