PDA

View Full Version : Favorite curry

Thermal
03-15-2009, 15:04
I love my spicy foods, I've listed mostly British, but also Thai, Indian and American curry dishes too, theirs only so much someone in the middle of England can list. :2thumbsup:

For me probably Jalfrezi :yes:

edit: help of wikipedia here.....

Fragony
03-15-2009, 15:08
Butter chicken.

seireikhaan
03-15-2009, 15:18
Huh? :inquisitive:

Man, living in Iowa your whole life means missing out on a load of different curry, apparently...

everyone
03-15-2009, 15:23
rendang curry comes in tins here in Singapore and they are delicious.

InsaneApache
03-15-2009, 15:35
No shashlik? :inquisitive:

Madras here. Just re-found it after 30 years. :2thumbsup:

Thermal
03-15-2009, 16:02
No shashlik? :inquisitive:

Madras here. Just re-found it after 30 years. :2thumbsup:

Shashlik wasnt on wikipedia :laugh4:

Anyway I'm sure you can find something close to it :yes:

Kagemusha
03-15-2009, 16:05
Im more of a kebab then curry man.:smash:

Fragony
03-15-2009, 16:08
Shashlik wasnt on wikipedia :laugh4:

Anyway I'm sure you can find something close to it :yes:

Shashlik is eatern-european, Hungary I believe.

rasoforos
03-15-2009, 18:38
Some of these are not really curries...

Ayam Rendang since my wife makes the best there is :2thumbsup:

Proletariat
03-15-2009, 19:40
Vindaloo all the way. The combination of spicey burn, fatty curried meat, with the acidic vinegar cutting through it all is hard to top for me.

Never been a big fan of thai curries, too much coconut milk for me. I do love boat noodles and would kill my own mother to have a place local where it was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956u_ykB3Po

(Went here last year on a trip to LA and was blown away. Makes my local pho seem like canned chicken noodle soup in comparison)

Beefy187
03-16-2009, 01:42
I can eat curry continuously for more then a month. Breakfast, Lunch and dinner.

I love my curry. I voted for Curry Raisu but, any type of curry is good for me.

PS: Where did my spell checker go? :wall:

Yoyoma1910
03-16-2009, 04:10
After working at an Indian restaurant for a stint I started making Cajun Curry.

Aemilius Paulus
03-16-2009, 04:34
Heck, I never had any idea there was more than one kind of curry. I do not like curry itself, so why bother?

SO what are all these different types? Do they actually taste much different, and are they all considered curry??

Sasaki Kojiro
03-16-2009, 04:55
Curry is that stuff that comes in the raman noodles package right?

Chicken is my favorite...

Quietus
03-16-2009, 08:31
Heck, I never had any idea there was more than one kind of curry. I do not like curry itself, so why bother?

SO what are all these different types? Do they actually taste much different, and are they all considered curry?? I thought Curry Powder + Coconut Milk is the standard "Curry" as well.

Beefy187
03-16-2009, 09:18
I thought Curry Powder + Coconut Milk is the standard "Curry" as well.

Ignorent fools :no:

:clown:

Curry Powder+ Coconut Milk seems like Thai curry.

All the curry are different depending on their ingredient and flavor.

For instance Thai based curry usually uses Coconut Milk thus making the curry more mild.

Indian Curry...Well they are too many of them listed. But in general they tend to be more spicy.

Butter chicken is the western style iirc. They are way too sweet for my taste.

Japanese Curry Curry Raisu is similer to Beef Stew. They don't have the smell of spice like the Indian curry so its more likely to be accepted by everyone where as Indian curry can be a bit of no no sometimes.

Definition of curry is that they use curry powder iirc. Other then that taste of curry is very very different as well as the colour and the smell.

naut
03-16-2009, 10:35
Madras, with Panang coming a close second.

caravel
03-16-2009, 10:55
raman noodles

Now you're talking. Where is the Ramen option? :inquisitive:

Hosakawa Tito
03-16-2009, 10:56
Phaal is my favorite, but I usually make Thai at home because the rest of the family doesn't like it suicidal hot.

Beefy187
03-16-2009, 11:07
Now you're talking. Where is the Ramen option? :inquisitive:

Curry Ramens are Curry flavoured Ramen. Ramen comes first before the curry thus it doesn't get counted as curry.

Though I do love them :yes:

Husar
03-16-2009, 11:16
There are different kinds of curry?

I just know curry sausage...

Well, and yellowish curry sauce, but that's about it.

DemonArchangel
03-16-2009, 16:45
I prefer a very spicy green Thai curry, with a good deal of burn and a subtle undertone of lemongrass, green onions and coconut milk. It goes perfectly with shredded beef and eggplant.

Tasty.

drone
03-16-2009, 17:31
I prefer the Thai curries, specifically Panang and red. Not a big fan of many of the Indian curries, but I had a Ceylon curry a while back that nearly killed me, so I will give that one props. :2thumbsup:

Rhyfelwyr
03-16-2009, 18:18
What about chips with curry sauce?

Thermal
03-16-2009, 19:07
What about chips with curry sauce?

I put a curry sauce option, the chips themselves don't make the curry....

Rhyfelwyr
03-16-2009, 20:50
I put a curry sauce option, the chips themselves don't make the curry....

Sorry never thought of that, I shall place my vote!

Gerle
03-16-2009, 22:59
Penang, or red Thai, but yellow is good as well. And green!

KukriKhan
03-16-2009, 23:01
Bachelor Japanese curry-rice: How-to vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIOL_DxSYpw), with music. :)

Quietus
03-17-2009, 07:46
Ignorent fools :no:

:clown:

Curry Powder+ Coconut Milk seems like Thai curry.

All the curry are different depending on their ingredient and flavor.

For instance Thai based curry usually uses Coconut Milk thus making the curry more mild.

Indian Curry...Well they are too many of them listed. But in general they tend to be more spicy.

Butter chicken is the western style iirc. They are way too sweet for my taste.

Japanese Curry Curry Raisu is similer to Beef Stew. They don't have the smell of spice like the Indian curry so its more likely to be accepted by everyone where as Indian curry can be a bit of no no sometimes.

Definition of curry is that they use curry powder iirc. Other then that taste of curry is very very different as well as the colour and the smell.

No, I meant for curry in general in response to "are they all considered curry?". Like Patty + Bun is the standard "Hamburger". Curry powder as the flavoring and coconut milk as the sauce/thickener. We used to make coconut milk straight from coconuts when we were little kids. Nowadays, it's canned. It's an all-purpose sauce.

There's really no difference from a "stew", just variations to a theme.

Beefy187
03-17-2009, 08:47
No, I meant for curry in general in response to "are they all considered curry?". Like Patty + Bun is the standard "Hamburger". Curry powder as the flavoring and coconut milk as the sauce/thickener. We used to make coconut milk straight from coconuts when we were little kids. Nowadays, it's canned. It's an all-purpose sauce.

There's really no difference from a "stew", just variations to a theme.

Ah sorry my bad :sweatdrop:

Normal curry is just anything stew/ soup like which uses curry powder. Usually Indian curry are considered standerd as they were the original curry masters.

I suppose all of them are curries as long as they keep the Stew/Soup format.

Andres
03-17-2009, 13:51
A close call between Tikka Masala and Madras.

Madras wins with a narrow margin :2thumbsup: