PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Smoker's Thread

Samurai Waki
03-22-2009, 12:34
Since I've quit smoking Cigarettes (some two odd years now) I've felt bereft of having something that both relaxes me, and occupies the part of my brain that craves continuous mental activity on some level. I've nearly gone back to smoking on several occasions, and while I'm not too nervous about the cancer side of smoking (non smokers get cancer all the time), I was more compelled to stop because of the nicotine addiction.

A few weeks ago, I saw an elderly man smoking a pipe (keep in mind, tobacco only, not the wacky stuff), and decided I'd give it a go. I stopped by a Tobacco Shop picked up a cheap Corn Cob Pipe, and cheap tobacco... my mistake was buying the cheap pipe tobacco.

So being that I am a nerd, I got online and checked out proper techniques, and useful tips, and found to my amazement that there is a real art form to Pipe Smoking.

Since my new(ish) discovery, I've come to appreciate the relaxing repetition, and pleasant to the palate tastes that good pipe tobacco has to offer. I don't get the nicotine cravings, and on the weekends I really get time to enjoy my new Briar Pipe with a good blend usually made by Cornell & Diehl.

However, now that I've started to pick up the finer fundamentals, I've decided that I want to upgrade my pipe to something better.

Any other Pipe Smokers out there?

Major Robert Dump
03-22-2009, 12:51
Oh, I thought this thread was about something else. Guess I'm sitting this one out.

Samurai Waki
03-22-2009, 12:56
Oh, I thought this thread was about something else. Guess I'm sitting this one out.

:laugh4: as soon as I saw your reply, I smacked myself on the forehead. Well, there really isn't another term for a Tobacco Pipe... maybe I should have put in parenthesis (Tobacco) Pipe Smoking Thread.

at least I had the wherewithal to actually put Pipe, instead of Pole.

rajpoot
03-22-2009, 16:05
So when you say 'Pipe', you mean that thing they always show Sherlock Holmes holding in his mouth?
Another question, how's pipe smoking better than Cigarettes? I mean with reference to nicotine? I used to think it was the same thing..........if a pipe really is better, then I'll switch too. I never tried as yet because I never saw a pipe where I live.

Reverend Joe
03-22-2009, 16:41
The Pipes and Cigars group... (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/group.php?groupid=40)

Mouz has you covered. :wink:

Aemilius Paulus
03-22-2009, 18:17
Why not cigars? That alternative always seemed more enticing to me.