PDA

View Full Version : Question: change hooking at sieges?

geala
04-02-2009, 07:50
Is it possible to change the hooking mechanism of the "stormtrooper" infantry? It is not only unrealistic, I could accept this. But it changes imho the campaign map game extremely because instant assaults on fortresses and cities are always possible. Fortifications lose the main sense they had in the 18th, slowing down the attacker.

Removing the hooks would possibly hamper the AI to much, I fear. It would however be nice to make hooking possible only after the fourth or fifth turn of a siege. Is there already a thread about it?

pevergreen
04-02-2009, 08:42
Sieges hardly ever last that long...

I think its fine that they can do it. It takes them long enough to do it as it is.

HahnHolio
04-07-2009, 16:57
ya, consider, that 1 game turn is half a year!
take that into account and storming on turn 1 is pretty much possible ...
not too many sieges lasted longer than, lets say, a few months :)

Mailman653
04-08-2009, 06:00
Personally I would of liked to of seen ladders like in previous TW games, assign a unit to carry them, if they die, get another unit to pick them up.

Schiltrom
04-08-2009, 13:44
yeah, that would be good

geala
04-09-2009, 08:13
Of course sieges did usually not last several years. But it was also not necessary to spend a year or two for marching from Prussia to Bavaria. The problem is that fortresses can be stormed immediatly with hooking. This is ridiculous. I would prefer a system like in the older TW games where you have to build siege material in at least one turn or bring artillery with you.

Prussian to the Iron
06-14-2009, 04:57
if youre not already equipped with arty, then theres no point of even attacking.

perhaps you oculd remove hooks from all units, and then create a unit with hooks that everyone can recruit, but it would take several turns? i think that once they get up, other units can use their hooks.

A Very Super Market
06-14-2009, 06:14
I'm fairly certain that this is hard-coded for ALL infantry units.

Prussian to the Iron
06-14-2009, 07:03
i could swear i saw an option in unit_tables.

ill check tomorrow, im tired.

Mailman653
06-14-2009, 07:04
I'm fairly certain that this is hard-coded for ALL infantry units.

Not entirely so, there is an entry in the DB files that states whether a unit can use the hooks or not, for the most part infantry has hooks enabled while cavalry do not. Furthermore I've read about possible animations and references to the use of sige equipment which includes ladders, but obviously not implemented in the game for whatever reason.:inquisitive:

As for the hook only unit, I believe it's entirely possible as well, something like a sapper unit perhaps?

Prussian to the Iron
06-14-2009, 07:06
yeah, and it takes like 3-5 turns to recruit, so, while you dont have to wait to attack, you have to wait to lay siege at least.