PDA

View Full Version : Sassanid Clibinarii/Cataphracts

Rhyfelwyr
04-07-2009, 22:06
Can anyone stop these? I now realise that I don't need to build any unit type save these two. Since there are no phalanxes in BI, I don't think anything can stop these guys. The only real anti-cav units are those which have shiltroms, which tend to be poor units anyway and are easily taken out with the Clibinarii arrows. I'm currently battering through full stacks of Comitatenses/Eastern Archers, taking maybe 2% casualties each time. Can my armies be stopped?

I of the Storm
04-08-2009, 10:13
Well, yours definitely not. Your going against the AI with a pure Clibs/Cats army, which is simply not fair game. Against such an army, I'd use Commies with armour upgrade, Dromedarii, Cats of my own and armour-upgraded generals BG. And lots of eastern archers of course.
Alternatively, 6+ units of carriage ballistae should be very useful too.:beam:

Rhyfelwyr
04-08-2009, 15:26
My last campaign was a brutal fight for survival as the WRE, so I'm just enjoying being stinking rich and plowing through the ERE lands. :beam:

Ibn-Khaldun
04-08-2009, 19:07
I'm surprised that someone besides me still plays RTW and RTW:BI!! :laugh4:

Quintus.JC
04-08-2009, 19:36
Can my armies ever be stopped?

No

Seriously Rhyfelwyr, this is just cruel. :no:

Rhyfelwyr
04-08-2009, 22:59
No

Seriously Rhyfelwyr, this is just cruel. :no:

I take it back. My Clibinarii were routed by Mountain Men. That's right, Mountain Men! :gah:

5 units of Clibinarii charging IIRC 6 units of Mountain Men. To be fair, the enemy had spawned in a riot in the Nabataean town and had 3 exp + silver weapons + golden armour upgrades, but even still. Mountain Men.

The Clibinarii were actually winning the melee, but they seem to have rubbish morale.

DisruptorX
04-09-2009, 06:33
Can anyone stop these? I now realise that I don't need to build any unit type save these two. Since there are no phalanxes in BI, I don't think anything can stop these guys. The only real anti-cav units are those which have shiltroms, which tend to be poor units anyway and are easily taken out with the Clibinarii arrows. I'm currently battering through full stacks of Comitatenses/Eastern Archers, taking maybe 2% casualties each time. Can my armies be stopped?

Congratulations, you have discovered the central tenant of RTW strategy: build nothing but heavy cavalry and charge. Only a headlong charge into phalanx can kill such a unit.