PDA

View Full Version : [Tool] EDB and DS Unit Ownership Validator by RedFox

RedFox
04-10-2009, 22:39
Export_Descr_Buildings.txt and Descr_Strat.txt ownership validators by RedFox
Current Version: v1.4
Supports: Rome-TW, BI and Alex

Ever been hunted by those tedious bugs? Even though you know its an incorrect unit ownership, you still can't figure out what's wrong without deleting the whole thing! Here's when this little program comes to your resque to find the lines of code that cause the errors and fix them.

Here's how to use it: Let's assume you have a modfolder named "mymod" Just copy both of the validators into the RTW/mymod" folder
The validators will read these files:
- RTW/mymod/data/descr_sm_factions.txt
- RTW/mymod/data/export_descr_buildings.txt
- RTW/mymod/data/descr_rebel_factions.txt
- RTW/mymod/data/export_descr_unit.txt
- RTW/mymod/data/world/maps/campaign/mycampaign/descr_strat.txt

-)Type of errors detected:

EDB Validator:
-)Produces STOP If:
-The Stream cannot find the culture of the given faction in sm_factions

-)Produces ERROR If:
-A faction in EDB is assigned the right to recruit an unit, but the unit does not belong to the faction.
-An unit in EDB is not an unit type in the EDU. That means it does not exist. Usually happens if you remove an unit rom EDU and forget to update the EDB.

-)Produces WARNING If:
-A faction in EDB can recruit a mercenary unit, but the merc unit does not belong to the faction. This can cause some problems with unit recruitment scrolls in ALX, but does not result in crash.

DS Validator:
-)Produces STOP If:
-The Stream cannot find the culture of the given faction in sm_factions

-)Produces ERROR If:
-A faction in DS contains an unit that does not belong to the faction.
-An unit in DS is not an unit type in the EDU. That means it does not exist. Usually happens if you remove an unit from EDU and forget to update the DS.

EDB & DS Validator:
-)Produce an Exception If:
-Cannot find the required files
-Cannot read the file data properly

VersionLog:
-)v1.1 Changes:
-Added a STOP error to avoid exception when culture is not found
-Added a WARNING to merc units in EDB that do not belong to a faction
-Fixed DS line counter
-)v1.2 Changes:
-Fixed STOP error not skipping comment marks ;
-)v1.3 Changes:
-Fixed bug where commented lines would be tested
-Fixed bug where correct faction or culture was not retrieved from the file due to generic placement.
-EDB Validator now supports unlimited length of file
-)v1.4 Changes:
-EDB Validator now checks descr_rebel_factions.txt
-DS Validator now prompts for your campaign folder

And that's it! You're ready to go and fix those annoying bugs that you'd never find!

Signed,
- RedFox

Validator © by RedFox
Opening Stream... export_descr_buildings.txt
Scanning: seleucid...greek...
Scanning: carthage...greek...
Scanning: greek_cities...greek...
Scanning: slavs...greek...
Scanning: macedon...greek...
Scanning: romans_brutii...greek...
Scanning: romans_scipii...carthaginian...
Scanning: romans_julii...roman...
>>ERROR! line: 4181, unit: "roman late princeps" is not declared in EDU!!
Scanning: germans...greek...
Scanning: egypt...egyptian...
Scanning: parthia...eastern...
Scanning: pontus...eastern...
Scanning: armenia...eastern...
Scanning: gauls...barbarian...
Scanning: numidia...barbarian...
Scanning: dacia...barbarian...
Scanning: thrace...greek...
Scanning: spain...barbarian...
Scanning: scythia...barbarian...
Scanning: britons...greek...
Scanning: slave...roman...
>>ERROR! line:1048, unit:"egyptian archer elite" does not belong to faction:slave
>>ERROR! line:1093, unit:"egyptian archer elite" does not belong to faction:slave

------------------------------------------
Opening Stream... descr_rebel_factions.txt
Scanning: slave...roman...********************************************
>>ERROR! line:1485, unit:"east persian cavalry" does not belong to faction:slave
>>ERROR! line:1489, unit:"merc savage zombies" is not declared in EDU!!

Task completed! Check ErrorLogEDB.txt for all Errors.
Press any key to continue . . .

Validator © by RedFox
Working directory: data\world\maps\campaign\mymod
No such path
Working directory: data\world\maps\campaign\emptycampaign
No descr_strat here
Working directory: data\world\maps\campaign\mycampaign
Opening Stream...\mycampaign\descr_strat.txt
Scanning: romans_julii...roman...
>>ERROR! line: 1020, unit: "roman late princeps" is not declared in EDU!!
Scanning: slavs...greek...
Scanning: macedon...greek...
Scanning: carthage...greek...
Scanning: seleucid...greek...
Scanning: egypt...egyptian...
Scanning: romans_brutii...greek...
Scanning: greek_cities...greek...
Scanning: thrace...greek...
Scanning: britons...greek...
Scanning: romans_scipii...carthaginian...
Scanning: parthia...eastern...
Scanning: pontus...eastern...
Scanning: armenia...eastern...
Scanning: gauls...barbarian...
Scanning: dacia...barbarian...
Scanning: spain...barbarian...
Scanning: scythia...barbarian...
Scanning: germans...greek...
Scanning: numidia...barbarian...
Scanning: slave...roman...
>>ERROR! line: 8527, unit: "warband axe german" does not belong to faction: slave
>>ERROR! line: 8528, unit: "warband axe german" does not belong to faction: slave
>>ERROR! line: 8529, unit: "warband axe german" does not belong to faction: slave
>>ERROR! line: 8530, unit: "warband axe german" does not belong to faction: slave

Task completed! Check ErrorLogDS.txt for all Errors.
Press any key to continue . . .

Tell me what you think:
NB! Make sure you have WinRar 3.80 or higher if you use WinRar!

HouseOfHam
04-10-2009, 23:37
Hmm... I'll have to check it out when I get home from work...

Btw, does it work for both RTW and BI (and Alexander)? How about M2?

RedFox
04-11-2009, 13:52
This is meant to work on all versions of RTW, it doesn't matter. It might even work on M2, even though I haven't tested it, if the filenames are the same, the program will not care, since all it does is check the given files in a sequence. Someone should give it a try with M2TW and tell me if it works or not and I'll add a supported TW versions at the top.

Makanyane
04-11-2009, 14:27
I've just tried on M2 - It looks like the DS versus EDU check works and the rebel factions part of the
EDB checker

the EDB checker though I don't think is picking up units as they are listed as

recruit_pool "unit name" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { england, hre, spain, venice, sicily, }
etc

nice tool for RTW thanks :thumbsup:
for M2TW you do get some of those types of problems reported in the log file anyway but having info in nice compact form from this might be easier if its not too difficult to get it to work?

RedFox
04-11-2009, 14:38
Yeah, the part of "recruit_pool" messes up the algorithm, since it checks for "recruit " (notice the space there). So it shouldn't work for M2TW. You should add deliberate invalid entries in the EDB and see if that makes any difference. If it does pick up the error in M2TW, then it's cool.
I don't see a reason to recompile and upload the tool to support M2TW, since I don't have M2TW and as you stated, the M2TW logfile reports those errors already.

It is meant for those who still love modding RTW, but are annoyed by crashes caused by unit ownership errors.

Finch
04-11-2009, 14:59
oops this is a corrupt file here downloaded the one on twc it works Thanks

RedFox
04-11-2009, 16:57
It works fine.

Red Spot
04-13-2009, 15:21
It works fine.

That may very well depend on who is using it. To give you an example of what I mean, this is how the .zip shows for me and what comes up when I double click the 'unknown' file ....

https://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8682/details.th.jpg (https://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=details.jpg)

So in this case, it does not work ....
(and its the same with the other 2 validators you recently posted)

Kudos for putting in the effort, but without a beter description on how to use it its clearly not something for the everyday modder, I think ...

HouseOfHam
04-13-2009, 19:10
What version of Winrar are you using? I've 3.41 and it reads the posted zip just fine.

Red Spot
04-14-2009, 08:12
What version of Winrar are you using? I've 3.41 and it reads the posted zip just fine.

v3.61 ...

RedFox
04-14-2009, 14:03
Windows XP can extract a .zip file without any need for WinRar, just right click -> Open With -> Compressed (zipped) Folders and copy what you need. The archive is compressed with WinRAR 3.80 (http://www.rarlab.com/). It won't hurt to download the new version and not post about your inability to open a simple .zip archive.

Red Spot
04-14-2009, 14:24
edit: 'spur of the moment' reply removed ...

RedFox
04-14-2009, 16:08
I just hope you were able to fix your problem and found the tool even a little bit useful. I'm just trying to make the world a better place here; one validator at a time...

I just found the claim that the file is corrupt as spreading incorrect information for others. Do my sarcastic comments really matter, as long as you get a new tool and learn how to use .zip files at the same time? :)

Cheers

Red Spot
04-14-2009, 17:00
Sorry, but I dont use it. I just posted in an effort to be helpfull and provide you some feedback as to why people might have an issue with it not working for them.

Next time when you do post comments like this: "It won't hurt to download the new version and not post about your inability to open a simple .zip archive."
Use a smilie at the end .. as in all honosty I did took offense the moment I read it ;)

RedFox
04-14-2009, 19:01
Hehe, no offense was intended :P I guess I should've used a smiley indeed. Sorry for offending you - I'm used to people not making a huge deal of it and just hitting back with a good comeback like or shrug it off.. ;)
Anyways, this is getting off-topic. No need to spam the forums, now is there?

Red Spot
04-14-2009, 19:52
But I love spam ... :s

Anyway, I do suggest you add a comment to the first post saying people should make sure to use an up to date version of winrar if the archive shows anything but an .exe(?). Even if its just to prevent further discussions wether the tool works or not. I think the screenshot I posted shows enough about the confusion it can potentially cause, as you more or less already said yourself, its easy enough to unpack archives. People expect some error pop-up if its a version issue and if the archiver can unpack it its quickly seen as your tool that has the issue.

(back oftopic, no problem. As I dont really know you I could only see it as some sort of attack cause you might not be able to take the 'positive' criticism, but as I am not that easily intimidated I wasnt insulted, I only 'saw' it as somewhat offensive comment ... case closed :))