PDA

View Full Version : CORRUPTION!!! *shocked gasp*

Scillicet
05-25-2009, 06:17
This is not to complain about an issue with EB, but I figured that I may not be the only one who has encountered problems concerning corruption of the EB 1.1 file, and an inability to successfully begin installation of the mod.

This is essentially what happened to me:

Downloaded 1.1 via Limewire
Didn't work (corrputed)
Downloaded via File Front
Didn't work
Repeated previous steps, in case I missed something
Didn't work
Became infuriated
Left it for a day or two
Downloaded via Limewire
Didn't work (corrupted)
Downloaded via File Front

Just a note, I actually repeated many of these steps several times over... Some call it determination, others (perhaps more accurately) call it "banging your head repeatedly against a wall". (:wall:)

Before I launched the installer the final time, I checked its properties (you know, right-clicking and selecting properties) to see if anything was amiss. Sure enough, down the bottom, it said my computer was blocking it, in case it was a virus. :shame: So, obviously, I selected "Unblock", and proceeded to open the file. Finally in favour of the gods, it worked! As I write this, it is finishing installation.:2thumbsup:

So, moral of the story is:
If you use Limewire and the mod is corrupted, cease using Limewire to download it. Use something else, check to see if it is intact (either in "Properties", or use a file checking thingy that was mentioned in the thread of "How To Install EB", or whatever it was called), make sure it is unblocked, THEN attempt to install.:idea2:

As I am sure more technically-skilled persons are tempted to write something along the lines of "Why didn't you do that the first time?", "How could you NOT know to do all that in the first place?!" et cetera, I would just like to add, in my defence, that I am a complete noob when it comes to this kind of thing - downloading mods or patches for games, knowing how to fix issues, and the like.:dizzy2:

If this helps anyone who encountered the same issues, then the aim of this post will have been achieved.:beam:

Atraphoenix
05-26-2009, 13:03
did you read installation guide, did not you?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103681

Scillicet
05-30-2009, 08:36
Yes, I did read it.

HopAlongBunny
06-08-2009, 06:17
Gah!

I screwed up dl'ing and installing it as well. My goof was different but no less infuriating. Suffice it to say I followed the guide like a bible; I had enough "parts" that the steps made sense, they just didn't give the results because I didn't actually have the whole thing downloaded.

Well worth the effort though! :)