PDA

View Full Version : Daimyo disease

Sengoku
11-18-2000, 01:41
This has happened a few times now - I play full campaign, get almost to supremecy, try to take too many turns and in about 2 years my Daimyo and all of his heirs die of disease. Is the death of a Daimyo by disease inevitable, or is this something programmed into the game to prevent a player building huge armies and castles without moving anything around and conquering new provinces?
Has anyone had their Daimyo when they begin to end the turns too frequently?

solypsist
11-18-2000, 02:01
actually, barring premature death by you sending your daimyo and heirs into battle, the game is pretty historical with how it serves death sentences to your men. Same with the births.

Sengoku
11-18-2000, 02:16
Under what circumstances does your general perform seppuku (seppugen?). Is it if he succeeds in escaping the battle (mine have never done so) or is it if his honour drops below a certain level?

Puzz3D
11-18-2000, 02:22
There is a probability of a daimyo dying from illness each turn. I believe this probability increases with age. You can get him to last a little longer by saving each turn and reloading if he dies, but after a while it's not worth it. It's important to protect your younger heirs so thay can take over later in the game, and not be susceptible to illness. It does effectively put an upper limit on the time available to achieve total conquest. You just don't know what the limit is which injects some urgency into your strategic planning.

11-18-2000, 02:30
Don't fight with your daimyo and preferably neither with the heirs. But in the first battles use them. They have high honour.

------------------
Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.

Visit my resource centre at:

http://terazawa_tokugawa.tripod.com/terazawatokugawa

The Daimyo
11-18-2000, 14:12
I lost 2 heirs in 1 battle once, when i let the game do an "auto-resolve" on a battle. I won the battle, but lost both heirs at once. Then, a year later the Daimyo died, without an heir. Bah! I reloaded the last save, and changed history by not putting the heirs into battle together, and by moving my Daimyo into a battle. They all survived another 20+ years.

Hmmm

The Daimyo

Sengoku
11-18-2000, 16:33
I find it is risky to battle with the Daimyo at all, but the Hatamoto are always replaced for free after the battle so effectively you get maximum 10 units of good heavy cavalry gratis. Also, I was playing a campaign and I got the uesugi Daimyo into battle against mine - mine won, of course - but his actual Daimyo took around 5 minutes to kill against YA, YS and my hatamoto. At least it shows he didn't become Daimyo sitting on his arse...

The Daimyo
11-18-2000, 17:54
I've actually found myself, in the past few campaigns, leading the Daimyo off of the field, just so his clan stays intact and I don't have to restart the campaign out of boredom. I hate clearing out the board when it's 50% Ronin. That's just weak and boring.
In the case of Uesugi, that clan's Daimyo seem to be impossible to kill. I had the same thing happen once, I had decimated his entire army, and he got stuck behind. I surrounded him with 4 different full strength units -YS,SA,YA, and even half a unit of Nodachi for good measure - surrounded - half way into the field -engaged on all 4 sides - he still got away, all by his lonesome. That happened twice in the same campaign.
Hmm...

------------------
The Daimyo
Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
@http://www.planettotalwar.com

Anssi Hakkinen
11-18-2000, 20:34
The same thing happened to me with the Imagawa daimyo in one campaign. He was surrounded by about 300 WMs, YC and HC, and just calmly walked away (after killing a dozen men, I might add). Sometimes they just get all the luck.

On the other hand, in another campaign my heir, Oda Nobunaga, who was the commander of a WM unit, personally killed two Hôjô daimyo. The WM with the general's standard and the last survivor of the Hôjô hatamoto just stood and hacked at each other, until the horse-guy went down. This was pre-patch, so I couldn't verify it in the logfile, but the WM unit showed one (1) kill after both those battles...

Nobunaga eventually reached Rank 8.

------------------
"Carai an Mierendaira!" -- "Glory to the Blue Cross!"

The Black Ship
11-19-2000, 04:17
Been awhile since I played SP, but I do remember learning the hard way to never auto-reslove when an heir is under your daimyo's army. Invariably they will be killed, kinda like a death magnet. Now if you were Shingen's father you might want that LOL, but I sure didn't http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

I took Takeda Shingen up to 97 wins once (had 1 loss http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif) just for giggles. Used him in every battle for a "Board gone Ronin" game.

solypsist
11-19-2000, 05:13
autoresolve works the other way if the enemy army has the daimyo or heir included, so theres a methodology to using the system...

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 11-18-2000).]