PDA

View Full Version : Removing Mongols From The Game

Mongothegreat
11-01-2009, 01:39
I'm playing as Russia. Is there a way to get the Mongols and Timurids to invade south and go after Egypt or Turkey or the Byzantines? It just gets tedious having to deal with them and even though it is historical, you know it's coming so you can prepare and it's just not fun any more, defending a siege on Kiev, Iasi, Halych and Vilnius time after time after time.

Or is there a way to remove the Mongols and Timurids from the game through modding? Or mod them to go south?

Mongo

Seabourch
11-02-2009, 13:23
I don't know about modding but I think they are programmed to do so. Mongols will either go through Russia or head south to around Antioch I think. Timurids, shouldn't they stick to the Middle East?

Mongothegreat
11-05-2009, 09:13
I lucked out on my new campaign, the Mongols went south this time. But I noticed that the Turks had Sarkel, when on my previous campaign it was held by the Byzantines. This makes me think that if the Mongols encounter the Turks or Egypt first they will divert south, and if they hit the Byzantines first or just rebels they will continue on the northern path towards me.

Anyone else think this game would be better without the horde invasions? Just gets so tedious after you've played a hundred campaigns. And it's not like it was in the first Medieval where you could just plant thirty full stacks in Kazar, wait for the Mongols in 1231, and autocalc them out of existence.

IncubusDragon
11-05-2009, 16:26
I suppose it depends a little on how CA thought the game would be played... if you're always campaigning as the same faction, you'll encounter the same enemies time after time in familiar regions. I think CA thought players would achieve game variance by playing a diversity of campaigns after all playable factions are unlocked - maybe imagining a maximum of 20 campaigns before gamers would get bored and move on to another game. If you played Denmark, for example, would you need to worry so much about the "tedium" of Mongol invasions?

I think game longevity comes from the online multiplayer experience rather than still getting the same level of enjoyment from single player campaigns after you've done so many. That said, I can't think of a single game outside the Total War series that provides such playability for so long in single player.

If you're unable to play online multiplayer for whatever reason - maybe not having a fast enough connection or maybe you prefer the campaign to the actual fighting of the battles, then maybe you're at a stage where one of the game mods might add the freshness to the gameplay you are seeking.

Mongothegreat
11-06-2009, 15:16
I guess you're right, there. I'm a big history buff, but it's weird how replayable this game is. But not just because you can change factions. I've played probably 100 campaigns total in three years. A lot with England, Scotland, and Denmark. I just got into playing as Russia. I think my hatred of the mongols goes back to Medieval 1. I still ove the game though, just looking to extend its usefullness, I guess.

Yesugey
12-15-2009, 13:42
Mongothegreat, even Mongol invasion is a hard nut to crack, there are some ways:

* Train lots of archers, and armoured spearmen.
* Put your army to the river crossings of East Sarkel and Bulgar.
* Wait for them to attack. Remember: 6 exp. Mongol soldiers can be killed with an arrow like a 0 exp. Soldier.
* If you want to attack, not aim to defeat the enemy, but make them suffer from casualties.

I think Mongol and Timurid threats are making the game much harder and enjoyable.