PDA

View Full Version : Government structures for the Casse

Tiger88
12-27-2009, 00:27
After playing around with this on and off, I am still fairly new to EB and am concerned with the type of government structures to build. I have been playing as the Casse to get a better feel for the game and am kind of confused with which types of civic government (or MIC) to establish where. After narrowly avoiding financial and military catastrophe, I finally managed to conquer Ictis and Ratae and now have other problems. With Ictis, at least, I figured that since it is in southern England, it ought to be number I, but I am kind of conflicted about Ratae and other places I might end up capturing in Britain and Ireland. Is there some sort of a set rule to follow with this?:dizzy2:

Thanks

Dieu Le Fera
12-27-2009, 01:29
It really depends on the faction... for Casse If its a homeland region I build the number 1 government building right away, if it isn't a homeland I build number 4 and recruit a gov for that province and then wait for him to die and build #3 and then wait about 20 years and build #2 *hell, you might be happy with just keeping a number 4 government*. If I play as say the Romani who already has a well established government and economy then even the homeland regions I conquer in the beginning of the game Tarsis/rhegion/balonia all get #4 for a generation before I start making them more romanized. It's up to you and how you want to play it out... but if it's a homeland region then #1 government gives you the full choice of your troops with your MICs *more or less*.

WinsingtonIII
12-27-2009, 01:41
After playing around with this on and off, I am still fairly new to EB and am concerned with the type of government structures to build. I have been playing as the Casse to get a better feel for the game and am kind of confused with which types of civic government (or MIC) to establish where. After narrowly avoiding financial and military catastrophe, I finally managed to conquer Ictis and Ratae and now have other problems. With Ictis, at least, I figured that since it is in southern England, it ought to be number I, but I am kind of conflicted about Ratae and other places I might end up capturing in Britain and Ireland. Is there some sort of a set rule to follow with this?:dizzy2:

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and EB, Tiger88!

As for your question, I guess it depends on whether you want to roleplay historically or merely build what is best for gameplay purposes.

If you are looking at this from a gameplay perspective, then I would suggest building the Type I (homeland) government wherever possible in Great Britain (but not in Ireland). The Type I gov't gives you access to the most factional troops, so you might as well build it wherever you can in Great Britain. If you can't build the Type I (you cannot in Caledonia and the North Midlands), build the Type II, as it actually gives the best bonuses (I think so at least) and second best access to factional troops. You won't be getting many regional units in Great Britain, so there's no need for Type III and Type IV, which give better access to regional units and less access to factional units. You should also build the Type I in the two Belgae territories, because you can build them there and you can get some great factional troops there. You should take a look at the Recruitment Viewer (installed on your comp with EB) when you're deciding which gov't buildings to build. It can tell you which units are recruited in the factional or regional MIC, and at what level.

In Ireland, you should be building Type IV governments (don't be tempted by the fact that you can build a Type II...) so that you can get access to the regional Goidilic troops. They have some very effective units, such as Eiras (Goidilic Noble Infantry) and Dubosaverlacica (Ebherni Armoured Shock Infantry), which are only available high up in the regional MIC, so you want to build the Type IV government to be able to access them.

In terms of historical roleplaying, I have to admit that I do not have full knowledge of the Casse in this time period, so I can only guess to which governments would be appropriate in which regions. However, I think the first step is taking a look at the names and descriptions of each government. The Type I is the Casse King's Tribe, which means the King takes direct control over the tribes in the area. The Type II is the Casse Clerical Administration, which means that a religious cleric administers the province and reports to the King (that's what I think anyways, I may be misinterpreting). The Type III is the Casse Client Tribes, in which a local noble rules over the tribes in the area, but that noble has sworn direct loyalty to the Casse king and has little autonomy. The Type IV is the Casse Allied Tribe, in which a local noble controls the province with a high degree of autonomy, but receives the protection of the Casse king.

I would suggest perhaps integrating the government types gradually if you are trying to play historically. In most of Great Britain, the province should start as a Type III (Client Tribe), representing that early on, the King will not directly control the province, but instead control it indirectly through an appointed local noble. Then the transition could occur towards the Type I government, first by using clerical administration (Type II) and finally coming directly under the King's control with a Type I. This is expensive and takes a long time, but it could better represent just how long it takes to integrate a province fully. Again, this is mainly guesswork, because I don't know a huge amount about how the Casse would have administered outlying regions, so I may be wrong. I think that in Ireland, and maybe even in Caledonia (Scotland), you might want to use a Type IV if you're playing historically, to represent the difficulty the Casse king would have in directly controlling culturally different peoples that were far away from the capital in the south of the isle. Since the Casse are a Belgae tribe, I think building a Type I in the two Belgae territories would make sense, due to the level of cultural similarity, but you may want to use the same gradual process as stated above. Again, just a guess on my part.

If you need more information on governments and how they work, check it out here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58666 If you scroll down, you'll notice that you can see a map of where the Casse can build Type II and Type I gov'ts, as well as maps for the other factions. The maps are from an old version of EB though, so they may not be completely accurate.

If you need more information on MIC's and how they work, check it out here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73928

Dieu Le Fera
12-27-2009, 15:30
I would suggest perhaps integrating the government types gradually if you are trying to play historically. In most of Great Britain, the province should start as a Type III (Client Tribe), representing that early on, the King will not directly control the province, but instead control it indirectly through an appointed local noble. Then the transition could occur towards the Type I government, first by using clerical administration (Type II) and finally coming directly under the King's control with a Type I. This is expensive and takes a long time, but it could better represent just how long it takes to integrate a province fully. Again, this is mainly guesswork, because I don't know a huge amount about how the Casse would have administered outlying regions, so I may be wrong. I think that in Ireland, and maybe even in Caledonia (Scotland), you might want to use a Type IV if you're playing historically, to represent the difficulty the Casse king would have in directly controlling culturally different peoples that were far away from the capital in the south of the isle. Since the Casse are a Belgae tribe, I think building a Type I in the two Belgae territories would make sense, due to the level of cultural similarity, but you may want to use the same gradual process as stated above. Again, just a guess on my part.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I like a slow gradual process for bringing new provinces into my faction.

Titus Marcellus Scato
12-29-2009, 13:40
If you want to play historically as the Casse, make it as difficult for yourself as possible to conquer Britain. Historically the Casse hadn't managed it after 300 years! So if it only takes you 50 years (which in EB is a very long time), you're doing 10 times better than the Casse did historically!

Tiger88
12-29-2009, 22:02
Yeah, one of my big problems with the game is that the number of factions are so limited. There really should be at least a few aggressive rivals in Britain all competing for power.

It's the same with the Sweboz and their Germany. You'd think that Otto von Bismark led their faction with the way they construct their German Empire. So as soon as a move take over the eastern most Belgae territory they send a gigantic army into it. But to be fair, historically the Germanic tribes did periodically cross over to harass people :wall:

Even though it would be cool, the TW style game really cannot accommodate that many players compared to other games like Europa Universalis.

Titus Marcellus Scato
12-29-2009, 22:13
Yeah, one of my big problems with the game is that the number of factions are so limited. There really should be at least a few aggressive rivals in Britain all competing for power.

The real problem is that the Eleutheroi aren't aggressive, don't expand, don't recruit new units except in scripted events, don't have spies, and don't attack vulnerable targets. Plus they don't fight each other.