PDA

View Full Version : Any Player Reviews?

Fisherking
02-25-2010, 12:21
:laugh4:

If some of you can break away long enough to tell us what you think I am sure it would be appreciated.

Durallan
02-25-2010, 12:43
Sure! I'll see if I can get a quick playthrough tomorrow with some screens.

Lemur
02-25-2010, 15:44
If you're willing to put up with not-terribly-formed opinions and observations, here's my take so far:

Graphics are slightly improved. No surprises there.
Battle AI is slightly improved. Formations are held, arty is used, flanking is at least a possibility, and they daimyo isn't suicidal.
Campaign AI is improved. For example, in the ETW build, if I hold a single well-stocked province next to hostile AI, all it can do is attack my well-garrisoned, well-fortified capitol. Now the AI will make end-runs toward those lightly-garrisoned provinces behind your big army. Makes life much more interesting. Amphibious assaults are to be expected if you don't protect your coastline.
Diplomacy is improved in most aspects, although getting a peace treaty from someone whom you are destroying is as silly as in ETW (see Knight, Black (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4)).
Between two and three options are now available when you conquer a province: (1) Occupy, (2) Loot, and most interestingly, (3) Liberate. Option 3 is not always available, but when it is, you create a new nation that (a) is your protectorate and (b) supplies you with some conscripts (1-3 units). Very useful for creating buffers with aggressive Black Knight neighbors.

That's all I can think of right now. Gotta get to work, too. Basically, NTW feels like a very polished, high-end mod for ETW, which isn't such a bad thing.

Tomisama
02-25-2010, 22:48
To sum up the changes in comparative battle experience between the two games, Napoleon’s are far more “intense”!

This is not your mothers Empire (so to speak), Napoleon is more of everything you thought you wanted, but were afraid to ask for.

Good Hunting :wink:

antisocialmunky
02-25-2010, 23:28
You mean everything we paid and asked for but never got? :-D

Tomisama
02-26-2010, 05:01
You mean everything we paid and asked for but never got? :-D

Tomorrow starts today, and proceeds in one direction. Enjoy the journey :bow:

antisocialmunky
02-26-2010, 05:27
I bought NTW. Best Buy has the limited edition for $39.99 which is the non-steam Imperial Edition. Gogo random giftcard.

gollum
02-26-2010, 19:15
Originally posted by Tomisama
Tomorrow starts today, and proceeds in one direction. Enjoy the journey...

...whichever of its many paths you choose to walk on.

Being supportive because one enjoys something is great - being supportive regalrdless of how much one enjoys something, because "there is nothing better" is not great necessarily.

:bow:

NimitsTexan
02-27-2010, 18:44
If you're willing to put up with not-terribly-formed opinions and observations, here's my take so far:

Graphics are slightly improved. No surprises there.
Battle AI is slightly improved. Formations are held, arty is used, flanking is at least a possibility, and they daimyo isn't suicidal.
Campaign AI is improved. For example, in the ETW build, if I hold a single well-stocked province next to hostile AI, all it can do is attack my well-garrisoned, well-fortified capitol. Now the AI will make end-runs toward those lightly-garrisoned provinces behind your big army. Makes life much more interesting. Amphibious assaults are to be expected if you don't protect your coastline.
Diplomacy is improved in most aspects, although getting a peace treaty from someone whom you are destroying is as silly as in ETW (see Knight, Black (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4)).
Between two and three options are now available when you conquer a province: (1) Occupy, (2) Loot, and most interestingly, (3) Liberate. Option 3 is not always available, but when it is, you create a new nation that (a) is your protectorate and (b) supplies you with some conscripts (1-3 units). Very useful for creating buffers with aggressive Black Knight neighbors.

That's all I can think of right now. Gotta get to work, too. Basically, NTW feels like a very polished, high-end mod for ETW, which isn't such a bad thing.

If only they could put those changes in E:TW . . .

Mailman653
02-27-2010, 22:19
If only they could put those changes in E:TW . . .

You can say that again, I haven't played ETW in months. But, going back to the topic, seems as if NTW is a decent stand alone based on what some are saying about it so far.

Lemur
02-28-2010, 04:42
Having had a chance to play it a bit more, I'll just add this:

After ETW, Napoleon feels small. Instead of a multi-theater global battle, you're stuck in Europe, which feels like a sharp step backward. I miss India. I miss America. I miss an Ottoman Empire that feels like an empire.

So, yeah, more polished, less buggy, prettier, runs faster, but ... smaller. Not sure how replayability is gonna be on this fella.