PDA

View Full Version : Most fun battle ever...

Hiroshi-O'Duff
06-19-2001, 03:51
This past weekend, I finally finished the game. I have now played all of the clans all the way through (except Ronin, DARN! Now I have to go start a new one!) http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway, I had the funnest battle I ever had. I was fighting on Owari -- the two-bridge region. I was a bit nervous because the computer had a lot of naginata and a few monkeys. Plus he had me outnumbered two to one (thankfully, the limit of 1200 units helped me in this case). The good news is that the AI never attacks over both bridges at once -- and I'll get to that later.

Well, I had a lot of monkeys (which turned out to be a good thing), some YS, some calvary, and a handful of archers. My yari samurai held the enemy at one bridge and his entire army started to storm across the bridge. I ended up sending all of my HTH units up there to keep them from rolling off the bridge-head en masse, and they kept coming at me.

My armies were holding together pretty well, and I managed to get three sets of monks on the other side of the bridge to collapse on them. His entire army was on the bridge, and it was surrounded by monks!

For the first time ever, I annihilated an entire army -- every enemy warrior on the field was killed, and I really lost very few units.

It was also pretty cool that I didn't have to deal with reinforcements at all. Quite a surprise, actually -- as I was killing his army, I kept expecting the rest of them to sweep in and destroy me.

Regardless, it was quite neat to decimate an army completely, albeit mostly because the computer is dumb.

Duffer

Orion12
06-19-2001, 05:23
I have only ever once fought a battle where I was able to take the head of every single enemy.

Asakura Lord
06-19-2001, 20:04
I've taken every head a few times, but I always try. I'll chase the enemy across the battlefield with bodies littering the ground the whole way.

Anssi Hakkinen
06-20-2001, 01:31
Taking all the heads in a chase almost never succeeds, unless you vastly outnumber the enemy. I've done it only once, and that time the foe had 240 men or something. Envelopment works much better, but it again requires numerical superiority.

------------------
"7. Chugo: devotion, loyalty."

kaltes
06-20-2001, 08:22
Actually you can run people down pretty effectively if you have some fresh yari cavalry units and you order them to fan out and run down the men that are fleeing.

If they have alot of depleted units it can be tough if you have them manually kill 1 unit at a time, I REALLY wish there was a 'break and attack' button that allowed a unit to break formation and attack any enemy that is in reach. Simply telling them to run through the enemy can leave YOUR men dead, but manually selecting enemy units forces your cavs to be selective in who they kill.

Or maybe a 'pursuit' or 'loose' option (like engage at will, hold formation, skrimish) that would allow more individual freedom to attack on a more chaotic individual level. Better hope they dont rally though http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

edRonin
06-20-2001, 20:13
I have wiped out the entire enemy army a couple of times but that was when there were only 2 or 3 enemy units. You need to envelope them so no one escapes.

Thats a good idea Kaltes. I get annoyed with how you are suppose to keep good ranks when pursuing a routed enemy. It keeps you from getting as many kills as you could during the rout.

------------------
All your base are belong to us