PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon TW in 3D

Forward Observer
04-16-2010, 15:14
I got this idea from another poster at another site in a photo forum who is playing with 3 dimentional photography

The two shots were taken at slightly different positions. The object is to set back about 2 to 3 feet from the screen and try to un-focus or cross the eyes just enough to start to get double images. The goal is to try to see three pictures--not two or four and try to get the center picture of the three to come into focus. Not everybody can do it, but once you get knack, the center picture will suddenly become 3 dimentional. It looks quite amazing when you get it. Don't do it too long or you might get a headache--lol

https://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2350/resizefor3dpost.jpg

antisocialmunky
04-17-2010, 03:31
The width is too much, your eyes can't physically unfocus that well.

Forward Observer
04-17-2010, 05:58
I have no problem doing it, but then I've had practice. I did go back and reduce the picture somewhat which may help.

When I get some time I will edit it some more, but it takes some time. For now see if the reduction helps--and remember one can't have their face
too close or it is very hard to get it to work.

A Nerd
04-17-2010, 18:32
I like your idea, very creative and interesting. I almost did it once, quite neat! I will continue to practice every time I log on!

Forward Observer
04-17-2010, 22:51
Here is another edited version that may make it easier for some. I added black borders which might aid in getting the center image in register. I makes it easier for me at least.

https://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1584/resizefor3dpost2.jpg

The principle is the same as the old Stereoscopes that were popular in the late 1800's through early 1900's and then later the Viewmaster toys that were popular in the 60's. Those devices had
short focal length lenses which helped fool the eyes into combining the two pictures in the same manner as the polarized 3D glasses used for 3D movies. For the cross-eyed method the
pictures must be reversed from how they would be with the optical devices mentioned. There are still some people who will not be able to force their eyes to get the right image.

The ability is very similar to viewing those magic picture books that are filled with images made up of what appear to be random colored dots. The object is to unfocus your eyes to reveal
a hidden picture or message. Even I have trouble with those things, but can usually get them after some time---if I don't get a headache first.

Cheers