PDA

View Full Version : Civilization V to use Steam/Steamworks

Martok
05-06-2010, 20:41
Link (http://store.steampowered.com/news/3792/)

2K Games and Valve today announced an agreement to power all PC versions of the highly anticipated Sid Meier's Civilization V with many of Steamworks' features and offer a special Digital Deluxe Edition via Steam. Customers who pre-order the regular or Digital Deluxe editions of Sid Meier's Civilization V on Steam will be rewarded with a free map pack when the game launches in fall 2010.

Sid Meier's Civilization V players will enjoy the benefits of the Steamworks' features included in all PC versions, such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, ability to access from any computer*, multiplayer matchmatching and more.

Sid Meier's Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition will expand players' conquests with the new Babylonian civilization and their ruler, Nebuchadnezzar II (c. 630 - c. 561 B.C.). As King of Babylon, gamers will be able to expand their empire with advanced Babylonian Bowmen to rightfully earn the title of Nebuchadnezzar the Great. Sid Meier's Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition will also include an in-depth "Behind the Scenes at Firaxis with Civilization V" video feature, as well as the game's epic soundtrack.

Gamers who pre-order any version of Sid Meier's Civilization V from Steam will receive the downloadable bonus content, Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia for free when the game is available. The map pack will let players experience the traditional Western and Middle Eastern "Cradle of Civilization." The pack will include the Fertile Crescent with the Nile River valley to the west and extending east down the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys to the Persian Gulf. Leaders will be able to explore new terrain, cultures and conquests.

For those who can't wait for the immersive experience of Sid Meier's Civilization V, 2K Games is proud to offer a Steam-wide 75% off sale on all previous Civilization titles for a limited time beginning May 6, 2010.

*In supported countries

Well, so much for my getting this game. I was really looking forward to it too.... :thumbsdown:

Subotan
05-06-2010, 20:57
I already have Steam, so :shrug:

Krusader
05-06-2010, 22:48
Map Pack...are they trying to build a multiplayer scene ala Modern Warfare 2 or something?
Well I might get it, got Steam, but exclusive features...preorder to get a Civ? Wondering if this will affect modding.

Bleh, not happy.

drone
05-06-2010, 23:01
Link (http://store.steampowered.com/news/3792/)

Well, so much for my getting this game. I was really looking forward to it too.... :thumbsdown:
Well, hopefully Elemental is great on release and you won't miss Civ V. :bow:

Veho Nex
05-07-2010, 05:49
Still waiting for elemental though :(

Beskar
05-07-2010, 06:52
Just glad it wasn't Stardock.

Crandaeolon
05-07-2010, 07:24
So what exactly is the beef here? The game is not a Steam exclusive, it just uses the Steamworks API (which is currently free, so Valve won't get a dime of your money if you buy retail.) It does require the Steam client to be active and connected to validate the install, but doesn't require an active connection to play, just like current Steam SP games.

Beskar
05-07-2010, 07:26
So what exactly is the beef here? The game is not a Steam exclusive, it just uses the Steamworks API (which is currently free, so Valve won't get a dime of your money if you buy retail.) It does require the Steam client to be active and connected to validate the install, but doesn't require an active connection to play, just like current Steam SP games.

To some people, Steam = teh evil.

drone
05-07-2010, 07:48
Some people don't like the idea of paying full price to rent games. I am one of them, Martok appears to be another. And Valve does get money from retail sales, the Steam DRM is licensed to the the publisher, so they get a cut from the sale.

The "Digital Deluxe" crap is another issue altogether. ~:rolleyes:

Crandaeolon
05-07-2010, 08:34
Some people don't like the idea of paying full price to rent games.

If you like to buy only boxed games, that's of course your choice. Point is, Steam doesn't really markedly differ from other digital distribution services.

And Valve does get money from retail sales, the Steam DRM is licensed to the the publisher, so they get a cut from the sale.

Your source for this is...? Steamworks's site claims differently:

Steamworks is entirely free. There are no licensing fees and there’s no charge for bandwidth, retail copies, or OEM distribution.

Skullheadhq
05-07-2010, 09:27
No, you don't have to pay for using steam, but the game makers have to to sell their games there.

al Roumi
05-07-2010, 11:44
For games that I really value -as Civ V will likely be, I usually get a box - I always want a hard copy backup just in case.

The "Digital Deluxe" crap is another issue altogether. ~:rolleyes:

I agree, but tbh, in all the years of playing Civ4, I've only ever played a couple of mods and my proportion of play on a 4000bc-2000ad world campaign has got to be well over 95%. As it is, I'm not at all bothered to miss out on a Mesopotamian map...

Veho Nex
05-07-2010, 14:51

I like steam with mp games, but when a massive strategy game like Civ comes out, I don't want to have to rely on my internet to play it. I know steam has offline mode, but sometimes it refuses to work for me.

Kekvit Irae
05-07-2010, 15:14
Not this argument again...

I don't see the problem here. If you buy the boxed version, then just form a Church of Stardock/GoG, where the only two rules are 1) You don't talk about Steam, and 2) You don't talk about Steam.

Personally, I love Steam. I use it to chat with friends of mine while playing games, and screw around with said friends by playing fake games like "Plants vs Mexicans" or "The Game - You Lost It Edition" (which really annoys people when it pops into their in-game notifications).

The point is, is Valve really as bad as EA (circa 2008) or Ubisoft? No, no it isn't. Either get over your bias or just not buy the game.

/rant

al Roumi
05-07-2010, 15:32
I think Martok's problem is that Steamworks is unsupported by Camels' OS.

drone
05-07-2010, 16:57
For games that I really value -as Civ V will likely be, I usually get a box - I always want a hard copy backup just in case.
The hard copy will do you no good (legally), as the activation through Steam is still a necessity. Unless you want to risk the DMCA and follow Kekvit Irae's advice.

I think Martok's problem is that Steamworks is unsupported by Camels' OS.
I'm sure Valve is working to get over that hump.

jabarto
05-07-2010, 23:38
I really don't get all this Steam hate. I know it was a buggy, intrusive piece of crap back when Half-Life 2 came out, but that was seven years ago and it's now the most popular, reputable, and effective digital distribution service out there.

What we should be railing against is this godforsaken trend of overpriced, low-quality "downloadable content" that seems to have gaming by the throat. No I will not pay $10 extra to have a leader that the community will mod in within weeks of the game's release.

Krusader
05-07-2010, 23:54
I really don't get all this Steam hate. I know it was a buggy, intrusive piece of crap back when Half-Life 2 came out, but that was seven years ago and it's now the most popular, reputable, and effective digital distribution service out there.

What we should be railing against is this godforsaken trend of overpriced, low-quality "downloadable content" that seems to have gaming by the throat. No I will not pay $10 extra to have a leader that the community will mod in within weeks of the game's release.

That's what someone is worrying about. With map packs and other DLCs how will it affect modding.

Husar
05-08-2010, 01:24
I find the new UbiSoft protection a lot worse, especially since it has no offline mode.
I do however know people who think I'm completely overreacting, they're always online anyway and they have to be to play WoW as well etc. :shrug:
But I'm just unwilling to spend money for a game that wants me to be online to play single player.
And besides I think a publisher is far more likely to go bankrupt than a retailer.
And well yeah, my internet is less reliable than Steam's offline mode in my experience.

And Kekvit, I was wondering where you got some of these games from. :laugh4:

jabarto
05-08-2010, 04:00
That's what someone is worrying about. With map packs and other DLCs how will it affect modding.

True enough. I must have missed your post earlier. :embarassed:

Kekvit Irae
05-08-2010, 16:14
And Kekvit, I was wondering where you got some of these games from. :laugh4:

Open up notepad, save the blank file as "Prostitution Tycoon" (without the quotes). Go to your folder options and make sure known file extensions are hidden. Now go into Steam and choose Add Game and select the file you just saved. When you open it from Steam, you'll open up the blank notepad and everyone else will see the pop-up notification "Husar is now playing Prostitution Tycoon."
If you don't have file extensions hidden, it will say "Husar is now playing Prostitution Tycoon.txt." instead, which ruins the joke.

:)

pevergreen
05-08-2010, 17:26
Open up notepad, save the blank file as "Prostitution Tycoon" (without the quotes). Go to your folder options and make sure known file extensions are hidden. Now go into Steam and choose Add Game and select the file you just saved. When you open it from Steam, you'll open up the blank notepad and everyone else will see the pop-up notification "Husar is now playing Prostitution Tycoon."
If you don't have file extensions hidden, it will say "Husar is now playing Prostitution Tycoon.txt." instead, which ruins the joke.

:)

Alternative:

Right click the game you want to play in steam (non steam game, so for me, something like Mount&Blade) click properties. You can change the icon, and the first box says the name of the exe it launches off. You can change it.

So right now, if I launch M&B, it will say Non Steam game Mount&Blade. I can change that to whatever I want, and still be playing M&B. :wink:

Kekvit Irae
05-08-2010, 18:06
Alternative:

Right click the game you want to play in steam (non steam game, so for me, something like Mount&Blade) click properties. You can change the icon, and the first box says the name of the exe it launches off. You can change it.

So right now, if I launch M&B, it will say Non Steam game Mount&Blade. I can change that to whatever I want, and still be playing M&B. :wink:

But then where's the fun in that? :|

pevergreen
05-09-2010, 04:28
You can actually play a game at the same time?

Same thing, but yours involves a blank text file, and mine involves actual gameplay. :wink:

Husar
05-09-2010, 11:41
Uhm, yes, I thought you just renamed the shortcuts for actual games instead of "playing" a text file.

al Roumi
05-10-2010, 14:52

:laugh2:

Beskar
05-10-2010, 19:09
"pevergreen is now playing with himself."

Look at what you have done. >:(

Husar
05-10-2010, 21:35

:laugh4:

Is that a non-Steam game?

Beskar
05-10-2010, 22:30
:laugh4:

Is that a non-Steam game?

Not sure, but this is what pevergreen said earlier.

Same thing, but yours involves a blank text file, and mine involves actual gameplay. :wink:

Beefy187
05-11-2010, 01:20
Instead of posting something disturbing and completely unrelated...
So they will sell Civ V on box as well? I don't have steam...

Beskar
05-11-2010, 02:00
Yes, you can get it in a box, though Amazon has it strangely more expensive than the Steam version.

pevergreen
05-11-2010, 03:11

You told me to do that, I said no.

Plus, you posted that at 10 past 4 in the morning. I was sound asleep. :wink:

Husar
05-11-2010, 10:18
Yes, you can get it in a box, though Amazon has it strangely more expensive than the Steam version.

Well, if I understand this correctly, you can get it in a box but you will have to install and run Steam at least once in order to play it.

Martok
05-15-2010, 05:45
Well, if I understand this correctly, you can get it in a box but you will have to install and run Steam at least once in order to play it.
Correct.

Beskar
05-16-2010, 09:26
but Amazon version is usually far cheaper than Steam. it having to be registered on Steam is a plus, as it allows me to have the game on Steam for cheaper than buying it from Steam.

drone
05-16-2010, 16:50
but Amazon version is usually far cheaper than Steam. it having to be registered on Steam is a plus, as it allows me to have the game on Steam for cheaper than buying it from Steam.

:no:

TinCow
05-16-2010, 18:04

I think this is trend you're going to see a lot more of. Producing a physical version costs a lot more than a digital version due to production, distribution, and retail costs. Digital versions can essentially go straight from the publisher to the customer without any of the old overhead distribution costs (except for advertising). It's very good news for publishers and developers, and very bad news for Gamestop.

Azathoth
05-17-2010, 06:42
That's what they get for taking out EB Games.

al Roumi
05-18-2010, 11:48

:no:

Um, in the UK, Amazon is often cheaper than Steam, especially on release. The only time Steam really gets an advantage is the "steam sales", but they are usually quite late.

My fingers are firmly crossed that the UK's economy doesn't tank so much that this situation changes...

drone
05-18-2010, 15:30
My :no: is not about the price, but the "it having to be registered on Steam is a plus" bit. I would prefer to pay more to have a game not require Steam or any other DRM mechanism.

Beskar
05-18-2010, 15:38
My :no: is not about the price, but the "it having to be registered on Steam is a plus" bit. I would prefer to pay more to have a game not require Steam or any other DRM mechanism.

Steam is great, you don't need disks, you can install it over different computers, and it usually comes without any DRM. Also, Steam isn't much of a DRM, it is more of a very helpful program for gamers.

TinCow
05-18-2010, 16:01
Steam is great, you don't need disks, you can install it over different computers, and it usually comes without any DRM. Also, Steam isn't much of a DRM, it is more of a very helpful program for gamers.

I do like Steam and I use it for a ton of games, but I do have a major beef with it. I play games on my laptop regularly when travelling, but I often am not in an area with WiFi. If I forget to put Steam into offline mode while I'm still online, I cannot play games when in a WiFi dead zone. It's pretty ridiculous IMHO... you have to go online to go offline?

Beskar
05-18-2010, 16:18
I do like Steam and I use it for a ton of games, but I do have a major beef with it. I play games on my laptop regularly when travelling, but I often am not in an area with WiFi. If I forget to put Steam into offline mode while I'm still online, I cannot play games when in a WiFi dead zone. It's pretty ridiculous IMHO... you have to go online to go offline?

It comes up with "Cannot connect to server, retry connection or start in offline mode", click "start in offline mode" and it works.

TinCow
05-18-2010, 16:23
It comes up with "Cannot connect to server, retry connection or start in offline mode", click "start in offline mode" and it works.

It does? I could have sworn it just gave the cannot connect error and closed. I'll test it out later.

Beskar
05-18-2010, 16:26
Weird. I got a laptop too, and it works when I done that.

The only time when it doesn't is if I have both my computer and my laptop online at same time.

Husar
05-18-2010, 17:27
I also get the screen beskar mentions whenever my computer is offline, I can just start it in offline mode and play offline then.

miotas
05-19-2010, 03:59

I remember when I first got steam at the beginning of 2009 that it was like this, but at some point since it seems to have been updated and now it gives the "start in offline mode" message.

YoYoTotYo
02-22-2011, 21:40
So, I want to play Civ V with my wife. I've installed it on both laptops but she cannot join my game or host one with hers. Can anyone help? Please!!!

Beskar
02-22-2011, 22:08
You need two games.