PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions  and ?'s about editing

WesW
12-27-2002, 10:02
One of the things which made the Call-to-Power games so enjoyable to mod was that you had access to almost all of the games' settings, as well as most of the AI behavior. I would like to find the settings for the following:

1)Reduce the chances of a civil war for large factions. Right now, on Expert, all you have to do is take one or two provinces from the Germans, French or English to set off a civil war, which kills the chances of them making any organized resistance.
Once, I played as the Poles, and I conquered most all of central and western Europe simply by waiting for civil wars and taking provinces from rebels. I started in the Late era, and by the end of the game, the Swiss and I, who had followed the same tactic I had, were the predominant powers in Europe.

2)Alter the chances of buildings and improvements being destroyed thru invasion. It seems that the AIs rarely improve their provinces, and if you do make a nice one, it can all be destroyed by one invasion.
I really hope someone in the development team reads this, because I have a major disagreement with their philosophy, both for historical and gameplay reasons (and I have gained a lot of experience over the last three years with gameplay due to my constant modding efforts). I will go into detail with my ideas below...
The current setting seems to be that debilitating structural destruction occurs when a province is invaded. This was probably done to reduce the "prize factor" of provinces to encourage building within ones own "heartland". However, since you usually have no notice when a neighbor is going to launch a coordinated attack from multiple provinces into one of yours, you usually end up retreating to the castle until your reinforcements arrive (this leads into a couple of the other wishes I have below). Thus, even if you drive him off the next turn, and even if no battle ever takes place, the damage is already done. Also, the economic strength of a province, specifically the land improvements, which is usually more valuable than the buildings, is usually not touched. Thus the "prize factor" of the province is not affected much.
In real life, medieval conflict occurred on open ground or around castles, thus you rarely had villages destroyed by artillery ala World War II. Thus things like swordsmith shops would not be destroyed. Pillaging soldiers would search for gold and silks, not anvils and tongs, and these shops would be the last thing that a conqueror would want to destroy.
OTOH, farmland improvements like fences and livestock were used as fuel and food by armies, and merchant houses would be pillaged for gold and valuables. Thus it is the economic strength of a province that war destroys, not the structures and mental knowledge such as a master swordmaker would possess.

My suggestions:
a)Set the probability of farmland and merchant-house damage equal to the level of improvememnt (20% for 20% improvement and trading posts, to up 80% for the highest levels), with other probabilities for total destruction as you see fit.
b)Non-economic structures would only be slightly damaged, if at all, and never damaged if no open-field battle takes place.
It really hurts the game's enjoyment to start a game in the early era, and never have any AI provinces get beyond Keeps by the time the late era end, or to start in the late era, and have the average AI province go *back* in developement to the early era due to warfare.
c)Castles would only be damaged if assaulted.

3)Increase the time before a sieged garrison starves. This was mentioned in the patch list, but I cannot tell any difference. A castle filled to capacity with troops should be able to hold out for at least two years. I don't know if we can get this effect by adjustng the values in the build text or not, either by cutting in half or doubling the maximum troops allowed.
I guess the best would be to keep the current starvation rate, but don't have it kick in until the second year of the seige. This would also make castle assualts mandatory between Catholics to avoid excommunication.

4)The automatic battle results option is badly in need of adjustment when it comes to castle assaults (it also gives too much weight to numbers over quality for field battles, but it's not nearly as off as the castle phase). In fact, it seems to hardly take the castle into consideration at all when making its calculation.
OTOH, manually assalting Citadels and Fortresses is almost suicide no matter which troops and artillery you bring up, making the choice to use the automatic feature, which doesn't require you to have artillery, a no-brainer.

5)Help the AI establish better trade routes. This was mentioned in the patch list, but the predominant factor still seems to be to protect the coastline, rather than trade.
5b)It would also be nice to stop the AI from attacking neutral ships which venture into its waters so often.

Add-on wishes:
1)Add a new structure, called trade routes, that would enable goods produced in inland provinces to be connected to ports and traded like a coastal province. This would be a major help to factions like the Germans, and would add another strategic element to the game.

2)A decent diplomacy model. There are several games out there with good diplomacy models that I think would be easily modified to fit Total War (Age of Imperialism II, Civilization III). If you could buy access their model, and have one of their designers help you configure it, it would be a huge bonus to the game.
2b)At least add something like the option of spreading propaganda to the populice in order to hype them up for war, and add a happiness penalty for failure to do so, in order to discourage the surprise attacks which are now the norm. This general propaganda would be common knowledge to other factions (perhaps with an Embassy required) and the Pope, thus giving time to strengthen border provinces and perhaps hurt relations with the Holy See short of excommunication.
You have emphasized the personal-glory aspect of warfare in this period, but it was also necessary to rationalize wars of conquest to the population to justify the higher taxes and confiscation of men and material needed to outfit and support armies in the field.
2c)Attacking a neutral faction of your own religion should hurt your influence among all factions, and attacking an ally should devastate it, perhaps starting a civil war.
2c)We should be able to sense the mood of factions towards ours, and the reasoning behind those moods. The option to establish an embassy would be good for this, as well as perhaps sensing the general propaganda noted above.

3)The option to buy or trade provinces, rather than having to declare war to consolidate your territory. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to program settings for the AI to judge an appropriate value for a province, and suggest either land or gold or both.
4)Paying gold or land for peace, either a lump sum or an annual tribute. This was how the Russians kept their independence from the Mongols until they were strong enough to defeat them militarily.

This game has such awesome battlefield AI now, it is a shame to let the other aspects of governing go unattended.

Turbo
12-29-2002, 16:12
Wes,

MTW is not Call to Arms. This is supposed to be a simulation (well, maybe a loose one) of a period of history.

Civil wars: Yes, they are frustrating, but they do a decent job of reflecting the period. Every faction represented in the game was racked historically by civil war. The Byzantine loss at Manzikert was due to treachery and treason. This battle marked the effective end of the Byzantine empire. Historically, at the start of the Early campaign, two sons of the HRE emperor started a rebellion and tried to overthrow their father Historically, the HRE spent more time subduing revolts than expanding.

Scorched earth: Historically provinces that were conquered were pillaged and burnt. Entire cities and countrysides went up in flames. The allure of being a conqueror was mindless destruction, slaughter, and loot. When the Turks overan Anatolia, the entire population was put to the sword, vilages burned, and castles razed. Castles were defensive structures to protect nobility and wealthy. If you look at some medieval maps of Constantinople, the best fortified city of its day, you would find that the fortifications protected religious buildings, palaces, and government offices. {{These buildings should get some protection from a castle)). Merchant buildings and craftsmen were outside the walls. Considering that castles in MTW provide the economic engine, castles should take damage whenever occupied.

Starvation: A castle loaded to the hilt with soldiers typically lasted a shorter period of time than the smaller garrisons in terms of siege. Disease, pestillence, and poor sanitary conditions were more dangerous to armies than battle and usually caused more casualties.

Automatic battle: The human player is the only one that uses it. Personally I refuse to it because it detracts on some of the best elements of the game. I would be happy if they removed the option.

Better trade routes: I agree with you that the AI trade logic is terrible. The entire naval aspect of the game needs to be revisted.

A decent diplomacy model: The MTW diplomacy model is terrible and needs to be overhauled.

Buy/trade provinces: Definately not in the spirit of the period the game is trying to simulate. No ruler ever willingly gave up land and held his throne.

Suggestions I think everyone agrees on:

A decent diplomacy model.

Agent management: For me, this is the worse part of the game. Mindless, stupid, and frustrating. Even in medieval times, a ruler could send an emissary out to forge an alliance without micro managing the Emissary's every move. Chasing down kings and princess without any clue of where they might be, has to be one of the worst game designs I have ever seen.

Crusade management: Again, another completely stupid micromanagement task. Why do you have to micro manage and move a crusade to its destination?

Fix the glorious achievements. They still don't work.

Have an "Impossible" setting where the AI gets breaks on everything and fewer problems.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

cugel
01-01-2003, 23:23
These are interesting points Turbo and I believe they reflect some of the game problems that the community ought to discuss most seriously. I would hope that many members would voice their opinions about the matters you raise and post their possible solutions.

For my own 10 cents:

"Civil wars: Yes, they are frustrating, but they do a decent job of reflecting the period. Every faction represented in the game was racked historically by civil war. The Byzantine loss at Manzikert was due to treachery and treason. This battle marked the effective end of the Byzantine empire. Historically, at the start of the Early campaign, two sons of the HRE emperor started a rebellion and tried to overthrow their father Historically, the HRE spent more time subduing revolts than expanding."

I've thought about this point and am ambivalent about it. Yes it's historical that there should be rebellions and disputes regarding the legitimate kingship were common - more common in fact than is presented in this game(remember the war of the roses as merely one example). Rebellions should be a factor in any game pretending to any degree of historical accuracy, but it makes a very poor gameplay feature because it weakens the AI factions too much. The human player can generally aviod most rebellions (I've had very few in any of the games I've played), but for the AI factions it's devestating and it generally never recovers.
One broken feature is the ability to bribe rebellious provinces without going to war with the original faction. Historically, this is nonesense. If a province revolted from the HRE, say, during a rebellion, both factions would obviously still regard that province as properly belonging to the empire and would greatly resent a foreign king attempting to seize control of it by bribery or any other means. Attempting this should lead to war with the original owning faction as well as any other provinces belonging to the rebellious faction.

"Scorched earth: Historically provinces that were conquered were pillaged and burnt. Entire cities and countrysides went up in flames. The allure of being a conqueror was mindless destruction, slaughter, and loot. When the Turks overan Anatolia, the entire population was put to the sword, vilages burned, and castles razed. Castles were defensive structures to protect nobility and wealthy. If you look at some medieval maps of Constantinople, the best fortified city of its day, you would find that the fortifications protected religious buildings, palaces, and government offices. {{These buildings should get some protection from a castle)). Merchant buildings and craftsmen were outside the walls. Considering that castles in MTW provide the economic engine, castles should take damage whenever occupied."

This raises the issue of "desertification", IMHO the worst broken feature of the game. Again, it's historical that bringing war into a province would damage the province infrastructure, perhaps badly. In some cases the damage would actually be worse than is presented in the game, because armies would sometimes slaughter the peasants, making a return to a normal economy in that province virtually impossible for many years. Perhaps, losing a province ought to reduce the farm income generated in that province for a time as well. HOWEVER, this feature places the AI at a terrible disadvantage. As a player I rarely lose provinces at all and almost never my "home" provinces, because I make holding on to them my #1 priority. The AI does much less well at this. The AI leaves provinces relatively unguarded in a way that no intelligent player would (in the face of a potential threat). Accordingly, AI provinces change hands like poker chips and each time they do, the tech structures are progressively degraded. By the end of 150 years the player inevitably has an insurrmountable development lead to go with his (generally) insurrmountable lead in income. The AI also places insufficient emphasis on rebuilding its provinces and the long production times make it almost an impossible task in many instances anyway. One partial solution to this problem is to reduce the structure build times by about 1/3 to 1/2. I credit DOC for giving me this idea and have applied it with good results. While this obviously also applies to the player, the AI benefits much more because it needs to rebuild so often. (I find that I reach a "saturation point" with some of my more developed provinces after a while, where further development brings only marginal advantage - especially because you can only produce 1 troop per province per year no matter how many buildings you have there. Those chivalric knights with armor4, plus super high morale from the cathedral, reliquary, monastery and church may be tough, but you can only build 40 of them per year). Reducing the build times also increases AI income generation (becuase the AI can devote more attention to building merchants and ships) This is the most useful AI modification I've found so far.

Perhaps the ultimate way to fix this would be for the game engine to damage the infrastructure only in player controlled provinces (unless the player invaded another province), then the constant changing hands of AI controlled provinces wouldn't give the player any advantage.
This feature might also only apply to expert or the "insane" difficulty settings (if there was one). Unfortunately, there's little chance of CA fixing this anytime soon. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

"Buy/trade provinces: Definately not in the spirit of the period the game is trying to simulate. No ruler ever willingly gave up land and held his throne."

Yes, but generals and governors were often open to treachery and sometimes their loyalty could be bought, even in the middle of a battle (wouldn't THAT be an interesting feature if during the battle a portion of your troops might sometimes switch sides&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif I believe that this feature is historically accurate. As I stated above, however, using bribery to suborn province loyalty should lead to war.

"Starvation: A castle loaded to the hilt with soldiers typically lasted a shorter period of time than the smaller garrisons in terms of siege. Disease, pestillence, and poor sanitary conditions were more dangerous to armies than battle and usually caused more casualties.

Again, this is accurate, but the AI doesn't use this feature well. It seldom storms the castle, thus the province infrastructure further degrades when the defenders are starved out.

"Automatic battle: The human player is the only one that uses it. Personally I refuse to it because it detracts on some of the best elements of the game. I would be happy if they removed the option."

I don't know what you mean. Obviously, the AI automatically resolves all battles except those which the player chooses to personally fight out. My beef with the game AI is that it generally doesn't fight the battle, but simply calculates the odds and the losing side "decides that they cannot win the battle and are retreating". This happens all of the time and the province is progressively damaged each time, leading to the problem of desertification I discussed above. This feature is necessary in the interests of time. The player is supposed to be at a disadvantage in using automatic resolution, but it might be made greater at the higher difficulty settings.

Better trade routes: I agree with you that the AI trade logic is terrible. The entire naval aspect of the game needs to be revisted.

A decent diplomacy model: The MTW diplomacy model is terrible and needs to be overhauled.[I]

DOC, Kraellin, myself and others have made this a main emphasis of our modding efforts (discussed in other threads), with in my opinion, uneven results. In brief, you can lead the AI horse to the water, but you can't make him use his ships wisely. (Early entry for worst mixed metaphor of 2003) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

BTW: re chasing down kings and princesses, I presume you are aware that you can instantly find your own king by clicking on the royal icon at the lower left of the screen, and you can find agents, heirs, generals and princesses (yours) by clicking on their names in the list. As for other factions kings, I always play with the.matteosartori. cheat in place, because in reality a medieval king would have a general idea (through correspondence and travel reports)about who controlled what province, who was invading whom and where the king of Spain was at any given time, as well as general information regarding important heirs of the various kingdoms of europe.