PDA

View Full Version : LoTR Map Pack

Alrowan
01-02-2003, 15:12
well folkes its in the stages of making... in the stages indeed.. this pack will contain all your favourites

Maps that will be made include:

Helms Deep
Dagorlad
Pelennor Fields
Minas Tirith
Osgiliath
The Slag Hills/Black Gate
Mount Doom

thats whats planned for now, and expect it to be out within two weeks at the latest. Any requests will be considered

Alrowan

PanthaPower
01-02-2003, 15:15
Isengard
Dol-Guldur
Barad-Dur

Alrowan
01-02-2003, 15:16
oh, and two more might possibly find there way here...

Gladden Fields
The Dale

Ed note: Man i cant spell

Alrowan
01-02-2003, 15:21
Quote[/b] (PanthaPower @ Jan. 02 2003,08:15)]Isengard
Dol-Guldur
Barad-Dur
well ive thought about isengard, but its not that exciting when you think about it.. but i might surprise you

Dol-Guldor might be able to be made

And Barad-Dur... possibly too.. but remember the more i make the longer it will take.

other ideas for LoTR maps incluse regions, such as The Riddermark, Misty Mountains, The Shire http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif , Ithileen, Near Harad, Mordor, North Downs, Barrow Downs, Hollin... but these wil obviously be less intersting

PanthaPower
01-02-2003, 15:28
Sounds cool. But I hope the AI will understand how to play these maps too. There are some problems with the AI when there are cliffs etc.

Isengard may not seem to to impressive if you see the movie but if you read the books, it's a tough nut to crack. Without the ents they wouldn't have captured it.

Alrowan
01-02-2003, 16:52
well ive made my first map of the series, and that being helms deep as everyone seems to be doing it. It was rather easy to make, and ive playtested it a few times, and its all fine as far is i have tested. The deployments all work for up to a 3v3, 4v4 are impossible, unless i choose to slant the hills and cliffs... which mind you does not work. I am going to post my helms deep map tomorrow, and that will be the only sneak preview before i release another 5-6 maps

Lion King
01-02-2003, 16:55
ok, but are you releasing texture packs as well? a helm's deep battle at daylight or mount doom without lava (pardon me if i am confusing the places) simply wont do... if you are not i might be able to help you there when i have the time for it

Alrowan
01-02-2003, 17:34
nope, no texture packs, simply because i want these maps to be playable online, and im not sure how a texture mod might affect that.

Anyway, Helms Deep is completed, and is uploaded on the org's dowloads area in direct downloads

after trying this map with a gatehouse, it simply didnt work, so ive ditched the gatehouse for a choke point entry with a few twists and turns

the link is this:

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloa....eep.zip (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/Alrowans_Helms_Deep.zip)

Lion King
01-02-2003, 18:58
texture mods have no effect on playability online, only on the looks, you can have different textures with no worries, i made some simple texture packs myself, one for nightime (not complete yet, too many texture to change) and one that makes some textures impassable when they werent before, so you dont need to use those ugly cliff/snow textures, you can use grass or plain grey rock with the same effects...
to make the gatehouse work, close the walls (look at the post "need help for Helms deep map)

Alrowan
01-02-2003, 19:19
ok, about closing that keep, it will mess up the deployment, so im leaving it, just taking out the gatehouse

Kraellin
01-02-2003, 19:29
lion king,

i'm curious how you're doing your textures. you doing the backdrops and sky textures also? how did you change a texture that wasnt an impassable into an impassable? and what are you doing with the folders for all this; do your textures load up automatically for the given map they were made for or do you have to load the textures into the other folders each time you want to use that map?

K.

PatrickNeil
01-02-2003, 23:34
Hey, can I get some hobbit stuff here? Like the shire? Ya'll out making big huge ogre units, I'm gonna go make myself a little hobbit unit, cause that's where the real power lies.

Patrick

Alrowan
01-03-2003, 10:28
ok, well ive just made Dagorlad, includes some rather small "Black" Gates (which are more a light grey http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) at the edge of the map. It also ioncludes the edge of the dead marshes and the slag hills. The way that i is set up is so the attackers are coming from the black gates.. the main reason for this is to stop campers hiding in the mountains. Also, with the towers firing arrows into their backs if the attackers come close to the gate, gives the impression that sauron himself is driving his minoins to the field.... anyway, its a fun map to play, and will be released later/

As for Helms deep, I have just fixed it up quite a bit more so it is more playable. But it still remains more of a MP map as opposed to SP due to AI

barocca
01-03-2003, 12:19
Quote[/b] (Kraellin @ Jan. 02 2003,12:29)]lion king,

i'm curious how you're doing your textures. you doing the backdrops and sky textures also? how did you change a texture that wasnt an impassable into an impassable? and what are you doing with the folders for all this; do your textures load up automatically for the given map they were made for or do you have to load the textures into the other folders each time you want to use that map?

K.
K.

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS YET

MTW v1.1 is supposed to recognise additional map tile/texture sets,
simple add them to their own unique folder in the
..\Medieval\Textures\Ground\ folder
then edit the *.inf file for the map you want to use those textures and MTW should find them when you load the map to play on it.

SADLY there was not sufficient time for the games hard code to be edited to allow for those tile sets to be recognised by the editor...

OFF TOPIC >>>

a bit of a pain,
but the main impetuos for the inclusion was to allow us to convert the Shogun Maps
- something that has not been done so far...

Warriorofmight
01-03-2003, 14:32
can you plaese creat a map of osgiliath because it want to test our towerguards on a lord of the rings map

Alrowan
01-03-2003, 16:06
ok, but i cant use ruined buildings... perhaps though some ruined walls would work well

this will be the next map i make, it will be a river map with a town in the middle

Lion King
01-04-2003, 02:40
Quote[/b] (Kraellin @ Jan. 02 2003,12:29)]lion king,

K.
krae, i am a lazy bastard all the way, so here is a shameless almost undedited e-mail i sent teaching how to make normal textures impassable,
the textures are supposed to replace the other uglier textures such as cliffs (if you are not lazy as me, make an installer/unintaller if you want them back)
the sky textures is just googling for them, very easy, huh?
BTW BUGA is Big Ugly Grey Area (the one you see on the minimap)

In this e-mail it talks about using cliffs, but you can use any impassable texture anyways, depending on what you dont care as much to lose

Well I am quite sure you want to put some decent mountain-looking textures
on your map as well (the grey stone ones, at least I do prefer them) but it
comes with a problem: they are passable, and only the broken rock and snowy
ones can get you the desired BUGA. Textures can be found in the Medieval -
Total War\Textures\Ground directory.

Now you will have to copy and paste (or rename) the textures you want to
make impassable, but you will still want passable ones that look exactly the
same. An example:

You want to make the texture 059.tga (the grey rock one) to be impassable.
You should then delete (you can always get it back from the recycle bin) an
impassable texture you wont use very much/you don't like such as the
046.tga. Delete 046.tga, make a copy of the 059.tga and rename this copy to
046.tga. Bravo, now you have two versions of the same texture, a passable
and an impassable one. Repeat the process for the transitions, in this case
060, 061 and 062, deleting 047, 048 and 049. Voila, you have the whole set
to begin texturing.

Surely there are drawbacks, but it still is plenty of fun, specially when you are doing a total conversion whcih doesnt need the old ones

BTW, in my i-dont-know-if-i-should-go-on mythical, there is a whole solution for black gates and climates which i will explain if anyone is interested (ask). For a peek of what can be done in 3 mins, visit this POST (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=3690).

Alrowan
01-04-2003, 04:04
well ive started making osgiliath

Loin King, i would love it if you could do textures for me, if you want i can send you the current maps, and see how you go making new textures for them. Would be awesome to have some black gates

Jango Fett
01-04-2003, 04:08
i cant wait buddy

Alrowan
01-04-2003, 10:07
ok, well ive just finnished the updated version of Helms Deep, and tested it online... AND IT ROCKED (quite literally)

anyway, im posting the newer version due to demand... enjoy it

HERE (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/alwr_Helms_Deep.zip)

barocca
01-04-2003, 11:54
Alrowan,
keep an eye on the model conversion thread,

i cannot change the shape of the current models, but i am sure we can make them look like almost anything...

if you have any artwork you would like me to skin onto a gate or tower for lotr please send it to my email asap,

i want to finish this project by next weekend - work and real life permitting
cheers
B.

Lion King
01-04-2003, 11:55
alrowan, sure thing, send me the maps by e-mail (zipped please) leon@yell.clara.co.uk
Black gates should be very easy to do as long as you remind me what you want it to look like (i am not that much into LOTR, but i watched the two movies), and of course, forgive me if i make them extremely dark/too bright, as a selection of dark colours make the walls invisible, but i am pretty confident, although only time will tell...

Alrowan
01-04-2003, 13:11
ok, ill send you the files of helms deep and dagorla when i have them about as complete as i think they can be, which is only a day or two now. As for the model editing, i am interested in seeing how all that goes. My only qualm though with model editing is the fact that it makes maps less accessable to the whole community, people will need to download more to play just one map. But as for presentation of maps like LoTR maps, i think people wont mind much at all

Alrowan
01-04-2003, 14:47
Osgiliath made..

so far i have made

Helms Deep (tested by others and aproved)

Dagorlad (in the final adjustments and testing)

Osgiliath (first design complete, so far no adjustments needed, still to be tested)

as dagorlad included the slag hills/black gates, and the edge of the marshes, i have combined those maps.

more to come soon. Hopefully the first of what will be 2 packs will be released come next week some time.

the reason for the two packs is due to ammount of maps, and the two different types im aiming for.

The first map pack will be based on battlegrounds and such from LoTR and the Hobbit, the seccond pack is going to be my interpretation of different regions of middle earth, such as the Riddermark, or Harad, that way you can fight battles wherever you like in middle earth.

Warriorofmight
01-04-2003, 18:08
played helms deep with some rohan tropps
looking nice to see peasants(later they will be orks)
running against the walls while archers are shooting at them and rohan cavllery hunts them

Alrowan
01-04-2003, 19:06
well after just messing about with the helms deep map a lot more, i have come up with a version that suits the movie too. But due to AI issues, this map is an MP map only. It will be posted with the pack. By the way.. there is also a nice little place for the defenders to send out a gandalf style charge when all seems lost.. but you can find it

Lord Romulous
01-05-2003, 16:52
alrowan or someone lotr modding type guy.

can the lotr mod feature castle battles where you (as attacker) have to place your troops in the innermost ring of wall and bash down the door to the keep (put a door in the keep) in order to get victory.

i hate it the way it is now cause the ai places all its troops in the first circle and once i kill them i win the battle even though i have 1 or 2 rings of wall unbreached.
it is so disapointing the way it is now.

thanks

Warriorofmight
01-05-2003, 21:29
when will we get osgiliath and the other maps??

Alrowan
01-06-2003, 05:17
they should be out by friday in a pack

Alrowan
01-11-2003, 06:04
ok, well ive finnished pellenor, and am only due to finnish mt doom, then i will be released in a day or two