Nobunaga
06-15-2010, 11:25
http://www.forum.divaniharp.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=11964#post11964

enjoy

Kagemusha
06-15-2010, 11:40
:sweetheart: Im loving these pictures!This image is just breathtaking:

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74285_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-08.jpg

Also from there we can see atleast few units from the unit cards.Yari /Nagae Yari Ashigaru,Yumi Ashigaru, probably a Nodachi samurai /Kachi and mounted samurais+ Taisho.

Kagemusha
06-15-2010, 12:27
Bump! I think you guys really should check these beutifull things out.:bow:

Reenk Roink
06-15-2010, 12:37
That castle looks a lot like the concept art castle posted earlier... :beam:

pevergreen
06-15-2010, 12:50
Ok, so I'm pretty sure we can say units will remain or increase in graphical quality, so they seem to have that downpat. Unit cards I can deal with.

Replacement for flags? Maybe not.

I dare say that I may have to take up your user title at a late point, my better half.

hoom
06-15-2010, 14:15
Looks very much like Empire battle engine. That's not a bad thing at all though, Empire makes some very good looking terrain.
Grass texture lets these down a bit.

I thought there was an interview that said there wouldn't be battles with units both on shore & on sea? But there is a pic of apparently one. Could be a pre-render like in the Road to Independence campaign?

Hooahguy
06-15-2010, 14:22
do i see actual amphibious invasions?

pevergreen
06-15-2010, 14:40
Looks very much like Empire battle engine.

According to their business model, it shouldn't be the same engine. But they've not really said anything more on it.

Ituralde
06-15-2010, 14:55
Looks beautiful!

I really like the stylized graphics on the unit cards. Sleek interface. Surprised at the advanced look though. When is it supposed to come out?

Hooahguy
06-15-2010, 15:10
is this ingame or concept, i cant tell.
http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74286_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-09.jpg

Cecil XIX
06-15-2010, 15:16
Man, I'm liking the look of these. I'm getting the feeling they're catering more to old-school TW fans, especially with those unit cards.

Kagemusha
06-15-2010, 15:45
I see awfully many katana´s in these pictures, but even a historical accuracy "nazi" like me can forgive few inaccuraties, if the game will be as sweet it looks in these pictures.I cant remember the last time i was so exited about a PC game.:grin:

Prussian to the Iron
06-15-2010, 16:28
those. are. orgasmic. some of those are just absolutely beautiful, and the castles look epic. now just need a release date.

edyzmedieval
06-15-2010, 16:37
It's all beautiful and stuff, but it's a tad too eye candy. Just my biased opinion.

However, I am in love with the castle, and the unit cards are amazing.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
06-15-2010, 16:44
My god, I just love the land battle scenes here. Very good pictures.

caravel
06-15-2010, 17:28
I think the whole lot is actually concept art/mock ups.

Tera
06-15-2010, 18:22
The pic with the unit cards is definitely in-game.

Very interesting. The graphics look sleek and I love the art they are using for the unit cards. Those units seem:
1 Hatamoto group
5 Heavy Cavalry (in the original game, it was the only cavalry type using swords)
4 No-Dachi
5 Yari Ashigaru
5 Samurai or Yari Archers

Looks good =)

Kagemusha
06-15-2010, 18:41
The pic with the unit cards is definitely in-game.

Very interesting. The graphics look sleek and I love the art they are using for the unit cards. Those units seem:
1 Hatamoto group
5 Heavy Cavalry (in the original game, it was the only cavalry type using swords)
4 No-Dachi
5 Yari Ashigaru
5 Samurai or Yari Archers

Looks good =)

The archers are definitely ashigaru.Its easy to regognice them for their Jingasa helmets.No samurai would have ever put that thing on his head.

Barkhorn1x
06-15-2010, 18:43
Not to be a wet blanket here. But...what are the provinence of these screenies? Why would a Turkish (??) website be the only one w/ the "goods"?

BTW, VERY excited about Shogun2 - a very focused timeframe/culture/geography should result in an enjoyable game - much like the original.

Tsar Alexsandr
06-15-2010, 18:44
These are some great shots! I really like the old Ukiyo-e style unit cards. XD This game is looking great. :D

KLAssurbanipal
06-15-2010, 18:47
http://www.devoticustodes.net/forum/showthread.php?p=41703#post41703

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74287_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-10.jpg

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74286_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-09.jpg

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74283_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-06.jpg

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74282_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-05.jpg

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74281_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-04.jpg

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74279_Shogun2TotalWar-Screenshot-02.jpg

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/42/74276_Shogun2TotalWar-Artwork-09.jpg

Kagemusha
06-15-2010, 18:54
KLA.please put a spoiler tag around these pics. Based on these close ups.In these you can see Oda,Takeda and Uesugi troops, though the heraldry of Oda and Uesugi is off. Maybe the CA would like the community to help, so a historically correct heraldry could be created. I know some people who draw heradly based on period sources and it would be great to see the real flags and the variety they create in this game.

Tuuvi
06-15-2010, 20:08
I like the unit cards. It also seems like the game will have more of an artistic feel to it, which is cool.

edyzmedieval
06-15-2010, 20:23
I love the shot with the cavalryman, the castle and the ashigaru closing up on him. Amazing.

Alexander the Pretty Good
06-15-2010, 21:31
I like the unit cards. It also seems like the game will have more of an artistic feel to it, which is cool.

Agreed. The UI is pretty subdued compared to some of CA's more recent offerings, which is a good thing.

What's the appeal of night battles? Were they common in fuedal Japan? Mostly you just can't see what's going on, which is why they were avoided at least in Western warfare.

NagaoKagetora
06-15-2010, 21:40
Night time screenshots are very cool and the castles looking top notch.

A Nerd
06-15-2010, 21:44
The screenshots are indeed impressive. Does anyone think the system requirements to run the game well will be similar to that of NTW or ETW?

Tsar Alexsandr
06-15-2010, 22:09
Agreed. The UI is pretty subdued compared to some of CA's more recent offerings, which is a good thing.

What's the appeal of night battles? Were they common in fuedal Japan? Mostly you just can't see what's going on, which is why they were avoided at least in Western warfare.

Avoided, but done every now and then by exceptional generals. (Or desperate generals.) It wasn't something everyone was good at.

In Sengoku warfare it wasn't particularly common, but I would say was more common. Sun Tzu had some passages on the subject. The darkness would create confusion, and isolate troops. Mitsuhide Akechi attacked Nobunaga Oda at Honnoji at night time, when the defenders would be less aware. The battle was a major success. A following battle at Yamazaki pitted Mitsuhide against Hideyoshi Toyotomi. I believe this was also at night. Mitsuhide Akechi did not come out on top of this battle, however. Mitsunari Ishida used the darkness of night to move his troops from Ogaki Castle to Sekigahara for his final confrontation with Ieyasu Tokugawa. (This wasn't a battle though.) Nobunaga Oda attacked Iga province at night. (Seems like a bad idea to attack ninjas at night... XD Made the fire more dramatic though?) Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin would also use night to their advantage. (Being exceptional generals.)

It was definitely used by generals of the Sengoku. (And and the West and other parts of the world) But the depth of vision was limited of course.... XD So there was always a chance a night attack would horribly misfire. Many great battles of the Sengoku were fought at night though. (As well as numerous but important skirmishes.)

It is hard to see, but I did like the option of doing it. :D Good for cutting off enemy reinforcements. And it gave you some tactical flexibility that was nice. (Similar to attrition warfare.) Which is very much in my element... XD

Tsar Alexsandr
06-15-2010, 22:10
The screenshots are indeed impressive. Does anyone think the system requirements to run the game well will be similar to that of NTW or ETW?

It looks like it will need an amazing computer.... better than I have lol.. But I needed to get a new one anyway.... Oh well.... XD

Monk
06-15-2010, 22:27
Impressive graphics and art style, hopefully other areas have seen just as much attention.

darius_d
06-15-2010, 23:52
I voted for Shogun over Rome (Rome to be next), so I have it now.
Graphics is lovely. It's more than I need actually (and my pc). So what about the rest?

Indeed, so far, not a lot to be enthusiastic about. Official fact sheet does not reveal anything special or innovative coming. For example their concept for campaign is really outdated now, feels like dumbed down, actually, but nothing great was announced in that area. Meanwhile, Takeda 3 is *way* ahead, but I doubt they're aware.

I expect this to be more just scenery and skins changing with minor tweaks here and there, than real step forward.
But even so, if they just do it right about AI and iron most of common bugs, it could be enough to make most people happy, me included, so I may still buy it. I will follow the news and reviews.

For now, I appreciate what we can see in the screens, and declarations about focusing on AI, character progress and immersion.

BTW, I can't help but one of more touted new things - sea-borne invasions on the coast seem to be introduced as a pretext rather for full application in another title, and I think I know which period suits best...

Tsar Alexsandr
06-16-2010, 03:24
I was happy that Shogun was what they chose as well. :D

Oh sea borne invasion will be fun..... XD

Ibn-Khaldun
06-16-2010, 09:30
Avoided, but done every now and then by exceptional generals. (Or desperate generals.) It wasn't something everyone was good at.

In Sengoku warfare it wasn't particularly common, but I would say was more common. Sun Tzu had some passages on the subject. The darkness would create confusion, and isolate troops. Mitsuhide Akechi attacked Nobunaga Oda at Honnoji at night time, when the defenders would be less aware. The battle was a major success. A following battle at Yamazaki pitted Mitsuhide against Hideyoshi Toyotomi. I believe this was also at night. Mitsuhide Akechi did not come out on top of this battle, however. Mitsunari Ishida used the darkness of night to move his troops from Ogaki Castle to Sekigahara for his final confrontation with Ieyasu Tokugawa. (This wasn't a battle though.) Nobunaga Oda attacked Iga province at night. (Seems like a bad idea to attack ninjas at night... XD Made the fire more dramatic though?) Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin would also use night to their advantage. (Being exceptional generals.)

It was definitely used by generals of the Sengoku. (And and the West and other parts of the world) But the depth of vision was limited of course.... XD So there was always a chance a night attack would horribly misfire. Many great battles of the Sengoku were fought at night though. (As well as numerous but important skirmishes.)

It is hard to see, but I did like the option of doing it. :D Good for cutting off enemy reinforcements. And it gave you some tactical flexibility that was nice. (Similar to attrition warfare.) Which is very much in my element... XD

I wish there would be a fog of war around units and they could see only to certain distance. This way night battles(and battles generally) would be much harder and in my opinion more interesting.

kyushudan
06-16-2010, 14:35
Oh. Oh. Oh yeah! I am loving those in game screenshots.

Oh, how I have waited for this day.

Hooahguy
06-16-2010, 15:05
I wish there would be a fog of war around units and they could see only to certain distance. This way night battles(and battles generally) would be much harder and in my opinion more interesting.
maybe not a fog of war but a line of sight definitely! if there is a hill in the center of the field, then you should only be able to see what your units could see.

or:

maybe it should be limited to what your general sees. that way moving around your general has use than just a fighting/morale role.

Tsar Alexsandr
06-16-2010, 15:13

Hmm. Definately an idea. :D But there'd have to be some major LoS stuff. Archers would have rood range to see, (otherwise their weapons would be usless.) As would gunners, and artillery. (Artillery would have to have a huge are of LoS. ) So one mentioned the general, that would be good for him as well.

Ambushes and tactics in general would certainly have more damage and flexibility. Imagine in a online game, starting out seeing no enemy..... XD Maybe that'd liven up combat lol!

Sp00n
06-16-2010, 15:27
Have to say its looking great on these shots and not a gun in sight :P

Gregoshi
06-16-2010, 16:57
In STW, with battle maps that actually had forests and hills, LoS was definitely a factor. The only cheat was that you couldn't hide your taisho (general) unit - it was always visible in trees.

Tsar Alexsandr
06-16-2010, 19:49
Oh yeah. And same for artillery in the games that follow. Which makes sense.... how do you hide artillery? XD

I guess the Generals can't hide cause you need to know roughly where the enemy army is? O_o

Barkhorn1x
06-16-2010, 20:45
In STW, with battle maps that actually had forests and hills, LoS was definitely a factor. The only cheat was that you couldn't hide your taisho (general) unit - it was always visible in trees.

This has been the same for EVERY Total War game to date.

quadalpha
06-16-2010, 20:57
Hmm. Definately an idea. :D But there'd have to be some major LoS stuff. Archers would have rood range to see, (otherwise their weapons would be usless.) As would gunners, and artillery. (Artillery would have to have a huge are of LoS. ) So one mentioned the general, that would be good for him as well.

Ambushes and tactics in general would certainly have more damage and flexibility. Imagine in a online game, starting out seeing no enemy..... XD Maybe that'd liven up combat lol!

Arti can attack ground (in AOE terminology).

Revolting Friendship
06-17-2010, 00:51
Looking at the concept art makes me feel like they should've hired me instead.. ;)

Not too excited yet, but this is early work, I'm sure they will touch everything up.
Loving the event panels thought, Utagawa Kuniyoshi would be proud :D

hoom
06-17-2010, 10:46
This has been the same for EVERY Total War game to date. Line of sight is important in other TW games yes but not nearly as much as in Shogun.
In Shogun the radar would only show units that were in your units' LoS.
So in some maps especially when it was foggy you had to march your army around the map trying to find the enemy & then your tired troops would have to re-form before fighting the enemies' fresh troops.
Of course if you were defending it worked to your advantage similarly :)

In other maps there might be a ridgeline & from your camera up high you could see the enemy army on the other side but your units couldn't until they crested the ridge. There was a big 'surpise attack' morale penalty in Shogun so the sudden appearance of a big army just behind the ridgeline not far in-front was often enough to cause Ashigaru to at least waver.

Tony Furze
06-17-2010, 15:13
"Line of sight is important in other TW games yes but not nearly as much as in Shogun."

Loved this aspect of both of the earliest games in the series.

"your units couldn't until they crested the ridge"

Again, an excellent addition to the tactical nuance of the earlier game.

Like the first screenshot posted -but then it's nearest to "classic" Total War. What possessed someone to decide we would be interested in seeing individual soldiers in detail just flummoxes me no end.

(The "ships" look like Noah's Arks)

Togakure
06-24-2010, 18:53
The style of the outdoor art reminds me of Dimeolas' work. He did great stuff.

Wundai
07-03-2010, 08:13
This... is the game I have waited for, without knowing it!

AWESOME!!!