PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance: Total War?

General Malaise
07-14-2010, 03:05
With all the argument regarding the announcement of Shogun 2, a question has come to my mind. On the one hand, you see a lot of people complaining about not going back again to Rome 2 or earlier, and on the other, about not going forward into something like WW1. Besides covering China and/or India, which is occasionally discussed (not enough, IMO) the most obvious next choice for a game seems to be to be Renaissance Total War.

I don't even see this as an option on most polls though at all. Do people not realize it's a military distinct period or are they simply uninterested. A lot of the the above-mentioned argument has been around whether or not people enjoy gunpowder or melee based but this "pike and shot" era is a very good mix of both it seems to me. The only mod I'm even aware of for this era specifically is Pike and Musket for MTW1.

So, post in the poll, and maybe respond if you like, how you'd feel about this particular period of western history, being broadly from ~1480s to 1720s or more closely from 1530s to 1670s or so (if we're talking about pike and shot narrowly). Personally, this would be my second choice after either a three kingdoms or warring states era-type game.

Shibumi
08-10-2010, 14:08
Would prefer a new medieval.

It just has more to it...

A new rome is also interesting, as the different cultures really had different styles.

By the renaissance, the way warfare was done was pretty much streamlined, which leads to a boring game, in my humble oppinion.

Theodoret
10-27-2010, 13:32
What I'd like to see would be an extended ETW. My main issue with ETW (which after all its patches is now quite good to play) is that it is too short. Extending it backwards into the 16th century would give a good slice of the history pie comparable to MTW1&2. Of course you'd have to do something clever to avoid having America conquered by the Dutch by 1590, or the Mughals in Berlin in 1610. Fleet and army attrition modified by tech would probably do the trick.

The attraction to it would be that a player would have to adapt tactics as the technology progresses. From pike and musket and cavalry in half-plate to bayonets and horse artillery. If the full campaign is too much they could have selectable time-frames as per MTW.

Swoosh So
11-04-2010, 11:28
Im ashamed to say i really want a rome2 :) it just was never done right on the battle side first time round and id love to see it complete.

ByzantineKnight
11-05-2010, 08:51
I'm still hoping for a Rome 2

Akka
11-05-2010, 23:36
No, just no, please no. No Renaissance. That's the most boring period of the whole history for me, and I just hate musket warfare.

AggonyReborn
11-07-2010, 04:00
If they were to make a Rome 2, it would be interesting to see an early era Rome, but that would exclude most of the mediteranean powers at Romes distinguished superiority, which would probly make for a lame game. but hec the history of rome in its early periods are intriguing. With that said, an early era game after the initial foundings of rome can be interesting but again the history of other nations is lacking as most of the history in print is on record due to Romes extendend reach in the 200's BC and on.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
11-08-2010, 16:08
Well I like to see one where I can play as the famous Swiss mercenraries or something. :balloon2: