PDA

View Full Version : English Dismounted Knight after patch 1.2

Rayne
08-25-2010, 14:59
1) Are they still buggy after the patch?
2) What are they good against?
3) How to defeat cavalry using England?

Aggressor
08-26-2010, 09:54
An awesome unit, probably my favourite of the foot soldiers on the entire game.

I've not noticed any bugs from these guys on 1.3. They are basically good vs everything but inparticular other infantry.

Billmen are required to defeat cavarly as England. I wouldn't put loads in your army though, maybe one unit at ends of your lines. Get plenty of Longbowmen/Yeoman/Retinue Longbowmen and deploy stakes at the beginning of the battle. It'll wipe out any cavarly that approach them. You'll obviously need at least four stacks of cavalry yourself and keep a tight compact formation.

Rayne
08-26-2010, 11:53
Oh, so billmen is the best unit to counter cavalry and english dis knight is the best against infantry? i' ve not played this game since 2007

Aggressor
08-26-2010, 13:34
Yeah billmen have the hook on the end of their weapon which can apparently take riders off their horses, you dont want too many stacks of billmen though like I said before because they aren't that good for anything else really. I just stick them on the ends of my front line usually alongside the dismounted knights which to answer your question... yes they will destroy most other infantry out there.

Make sure you deploy stakes though at the front and around the sides if possible to protect your men from flanking by the enemy. Aslong as you keep your infantry at the front and keep your longbows protected you should win the majority of your battles. Let your cavarly flank the enemy when they engage your infanty and surround them.

Myth
09-02-2010, 12:56
From a historical perspective billmen should counter cavalry. In MTW2 though THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Please don't give bad advice when you lack experience playing.

In short, for the purpouse of game mechanics, both Bilmen and Dism. Engllsh Knights are the same type of unit - a high attack, medium armour, AP unit. As such they are best used to flank or otherwise engage after someone has taken the hit. They chew trough other heavy infantry and are good vs horses so long as they don't get charged.

In the Britannia campaign they are even more imbalanced as they trounce Ireland's Muire, Scotland's Noblemen and Norway's two handers! In MTW2 they will definitely eat up Dism. Chivalric Knights, Folrorn Hope and so on. Best do a test on a flat grassy map on Medium difficulty.

The best unit England has to take a charge and generally tank damage is the Armoured Swordsman. Basically have a core of Armoured Swordsmen to take the blunt off the incoming units, then charge trough them or flank with Dism. English Knights. Apply Yeomen Archers and Hospitalier knights as per usual.

Aggressor
09-07-2010, 16:34
When I lack experience playing?? Bad advice?? How the hell do you know how much experience I have? and who the hell do you think you are? hilarious.

I'll have you know that billmen work perfectly for me when coming up against cavalry.

Myth
09-09-2010, 10:47
You take cavalry charges with billmen head on? And you still claim you have skill and experience? Lol.

Aggressor
09-13-2010, 10:17
You take cavalry charges with billmen head on? And you still claim you have skill and experience? Lol.

When did I say that?.

I have them behind my lines of Infantry/Spearmen. When the Cavalry engage them, the billmen are moved out to flank them from the side/rear.

Don't insult my intelligence when, again, you know nothing about me or my experience of the game or military tactics in general.

Good day to you.

Myth
09-13-2010, 13:34
Yeah billmen have the hook on the end of their weapon which can apparently take riders off their horses, you dont want too many stacks of billmen though like I said before because they aren't that good for anything else really. This is what you said. Knocking riders off their horses is very historically accurate but it doesn't work that way in MTW2. My suggestion was to have the Armoured Swordsmen take the charge and then flank or counter-charge with Billmen (or better yet, DEKs) so it appears we both have the same idea it's the wording that got me confused.

Aggressor
09-14-2010, 10:06
This is what you said. Knocking riders off their horses is very historically accurate but it doesn't work that way in MTW2. My suggestion was to have the Armoured Swordsmen take the charge and then flank or counter-charge with Billmen (or better yet, DEKs) so it appears we both have the same idea it's the wording that got me confused.

Great minds think alike... ha ha ;)