PDA

View Full Version : Rome-The Dark Age

NagatsukaShumi
03-02-2003, 16:22
Rome-The Dark Age

Unlike Rome itself, this project has risen from the ashes of its former greatness.

Hello. As you know the project Rome-The Path to the Dark Ages was scrapped about two monthes ago because of the announcement of Rome-Total War, however things have since then, changed. Previously the project was planned to cover the birth of Rome (I believe this is depicted in the Patrician MOD by King David), the growth of the Empire and then finally its demise. However, things have now changed, instead of depciting a period of time that would in turn put me up against the game Rome-Total War I have decided to just go with the Dark Age period, I know that Rome-Total War doesn't even touch on this timezone. So The Path to the Dark Ages is dead, lets look onto its child, The Dark Age.

So how will this MOD work? Well I have sat and watched how well Patrician has done by simply adding more bits later on in pacthes and versions or whatever, so I have decided to take the path of releasing it bit by bit, if you get me. So basically it'll start off small but then grow in time, kind of like Rome itself. So what can you expect in the first release? Well, basically you will get one campaign, you will then get to play as a number of factions, not all of them though, at the moment the confirmed factions for the first release are the Eastern and Western Empires and The Huns. As i work with it i will increase the number of factions for you, some factions may be removed if i feel they are in some way unbalancing the game. Of coarse at the start each faction will have very few units, and of coarse they may not be the best balanced units ever, in each version i will add more units to each faction, but for now they will have very few units, hopefully that won't make it less fun for you to play.

The VERY good thing is that i will not have to edit the campaign map, so i am glad i will not have to venture into that domain. It should be easy enough for me to work out who owne which bits of land at the right time and so on.

So will this MOD actually be completed this time? Yes, it will be, i'm going to take it slowly, who knows maybe i can put up a fight against Patrician in the long run, who knows, we will just have to find out.

Wellington
03-03-2003, 20:58
NS,

You really have to be joking

Is this the 3rd, 4th or 5th time you've posted such an "appetising titbit" that YOU have always killed before anyone has seen ANY progress made in such a mod.

Your last thread stated that LK/LBA and others were working on new Roman units for your mod (which they were). However, they are both now working on 17c/18c Napoleonic tpye units ... so where do you intend to go with the creation of your new "Rome - Dark Ages" units?

The only Rome type mod that has ANY credibility is KD's. I would suggest it's better to leave it that way.

I currently have the Roman plates that LK/LBA produced and was intending to create some new Roman units from them. However, we have the likes of flip and others who are doing outstanding work on units for KD's Patrician mod, so why reproduce the work others are doing? What's the point? These such guys are working on a mod that is a reality - rather than a fantasy

It's far better to help/assist (as much as you can) other people who are actually creating the goods, for an existing and sucessful mod - rather than just talking about such things.

NS, I would suggest it may be a good idea to just delete this thread completely. Over 6 months you never produced anything of merit. Over 3 months we already have (thanks to KD) a Rome mod that IS producing the goods and has immense support from interested modders.

Call it a day NS .... please http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Welly

NagatsukaShumi
03-03-2003, 21:22
Wellington the difference between the past six monthes and now is actually have the help to actually finish it this time, previously the team consisted of me, LK and LBA, now I have a much larger group of people who i see on a day to day basis, at the moment it is a group of six, well seven including me, the mod failed every other time due to lack of help, now i actually have sufficient help to complete the MOD, ok so i don't have Lord Krazy and Lord Black Adder to help me, but so?

Yes Patrician is a reality, I am well aware of its sucess also. The mod previously never came to light due to the following reasons :-

-Lack of help
-Lack of time
-Problems within my personal life (I will not go into them because the problems are private, but the problems were large enough to distract me from making a MOD for a game)
-Lack of experience

Now i do have help, now i do have the time, now my personal life is running smoothly after the rough patch and i have spent alot of my time playing around with the files for Medieval.

Yes Wellington i can see why you do think that and by all means i think you should think that, i have failed every other time what means i won't now?

You say i should help with other peoples MOD's that have come to light, but i personally don't want to tamper with a product that has been produced by somebody else, whether i have their permission to do so or not, it is something i don't like to do, i prefer to make my own work rather than progressing another persons, if that makes any sense at all.

Hopefully i didn't seem too grouchy in this post, if i did i didn't mean to do so.

Wellington
03-03-2003, 22:10
NS,

Look, my apologies if you think I'm being critical.

Yes, I am and no, I'm not

If you want to do something then all success to you.
I just think that what you are proposing has already been done, in a fine manner, and your thread is merely attempting to reinvent the wheel for a 2nd time

NagatsukaShumi
03-04-2003, 17:37
Yes Wellington i did understand what you meant, and yes i have taken that into consideration. I personally haven't actually played Patrician, so right now i am downloading it to boot it up and see what its like as i intend to make my MOD different for the obvious reasons that you pointed out.

Dimeola
03-09-2003, 05:27
I for one would like to see your mod completed. And I know you enjoy making it, so go for it bro. No matter how it turns out you will learn alot and have a feeling of accomplishment.
Dimeolas

NagatsukaShumi
03-09-2003, 11:56
Thank you work begins either late today or on Monday, work will hault on Fri til Sun because i'm seeing my girlfriend, but thank you anyway, now i have help it should be alot easier to do because it won't be me stuck doing lots of things without talking to LK and vice versa. Plus i see the other people most days so i can actually talk to them about it on and off.

Lord Krazy
03-09-2003, 19:31
Quote[/b] (NagatsukaShumi @ Mar. 09 2003,04:56)]

Quote[/b] ]it won't be me stuck doing lots of things without talking to LK and vice versa. Plus i see the other people most days so i can actually talk to them about it on and off.

It does help to be able to work with people
on a face to face basis.I hope our empire
will be finished before yours http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif
Although I would not like to money on that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Best of luck Nag

LK http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

NagatsukaShumi
03-09-2003, 20:49
Why thank you LK, my Empire is growing