PDA

View Full Version : STW2 Interview

Swoosh So
10-09-2010, 11:46
Sorry if this has been posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YslEBWCQhig

Togakure
10-09-2010, 19:28
I'd not seen this yet; thanks for posting.

From a SP point of view, I like what was described. I'm curious how many of the new features will transfer to MP. If they are included, it will definitely change MP from what we old-timers remember. That's not necessarily a bad thing, provided they get the crucial elements right. In particular, if XP and RPG elements are applied to the 'character' of our MP accounts, it could be very good, or not-so-good, depending on how it's implemented.

An encouraging interview. I like RPG games too, and one of the few things I missed in the original STW (in SP) was not being able to relate 'personally' to characters in the original STW. Everything was generic and without unique personality. I played other games like System Shock 2 from time to time when I needed a break from STW, to keep my love of RPG--rooted in the days of dice, pencil and graph paper D&D--alive and well. Maybe this time around I won't have to do that.

Ishmael
10-13-2010, 07:13
Very interesting interview, thanks!

I do like the sound of this-admittedly they're mostly rehashing stuff they've already said, but it's always good to get more info. I'm also very glad as to the RPG elements they're introducing. I remember loving the traits system in Rome, and poring through Quietus' (? about spelling) guide to character development, so the added level of customisation should be great. I'm a bit miffed that the ninja faction (forget the name) is only in the limited edition-I make it a rule not to fork out extra money for gimmicky add-ons, but I would have liked to play them. The naval battles look nice-I never could get used to the naval battles in Empire (I just selected all my ships and right-clicked on the enemy flagship :embarassed:), so hopefully the new additions will make them more like land battles. All in all, very encouraging!

pevergreen
10-13-2010, 09:28
Happy about the RPG skill tree system (I think it will work a lot better than the V&V of RTW/M2TW) and the twostage naval invasion. That should be good, depending on how the unloading battle works.

Interested if the Hitori(?) faction is only playable in the campaign if you buy the limited edition.

rory_20_uk
10-13-2010, 11:36
I've not enjoyed the previous trait / henchmen system as it required micromanagement to ensure that staying in one place too long didn't cripple a general (but moving him one square would prevent it...) and for those with loads of time obsessive micromanagement could gain massive rewards (junior royals farming for henchmen and then offloading them to front line generals).

Traits, if well done, could be a boon But not without possible pitfalls.

~:smoking:

Swoosh So
10-13-2010, 12:33
Agents are quite limited in number in ntw and i expect to see the same in STW2.

Kagemusha
10-13-2010, 13:17
Im not very pleased about this Hitori/ Hattori faction as its completely unhistorical. Hattori Hanzo and his clan men were serving Tokugawa Clan and the Iga Shu peasant league was never any kind of major force to reckon with other then tenaciously defending their home province from invading forces of Oda Nobunaga.There would have been a dozen more powerful clans to replace them as playable. If the developers would have wanted to do something different for an extra faction, Ikko Ikki faction lead by Hongan-ji could have been made. I must confess this is the first very disappointing news from the development.

Revolting Friendship
10-14-2010, 05:38
I think that if they make this Hattori-clan play much differently from the others they could combine good game-play somewhat with historicity. So while playing the Hattori (thought I'd prefer Iga Monto, sort of a clan confederation instead of just 1 family), rather than having the objective to conquer Japan, you'd
1) have the objective to full-fill missions given to you by other clans, to earn money, prestige and a standing with respective clan (and potentially distance yourself from others)
2) protect your homeland, which is so poor relatively speaking that grand-scale military expansion isn't (practically) possible, but still very defensible to those who are familiar with its rugged terrain and use the right tactics to their advantage, and
3) ultimately single out a patron clan to ally yourself with, and serve them as exclusive agents rather than free contractors. And by securing their place as Shogun, you win the game together with them.

But yeah I'd also love to see a Ikko-faction, and at least 10 additional playable clans. ;)
Regardless of how many are playable, to properly simulate the political situation of the sengoku jidai a whole host of clans is really nessecary. In total I think 30 is an absolute minimum, with a very active system of revolters, emergants and re-emergants.