PDA

View Full Version : Failed Sally

Rebel_Glamdring
10-26-2010, 02:33
I've been experiencing several instances in which I have sallied out of a besieged city with some artillery units, shelled the enemy until ammo ran out, then returned my unit to the city/castle. After my unit stops behind the walls, I go to end the battle but I get the message that if I quit now I'll lose the battle. All my units are clearly behind the walls, not even on them, and none are hung up at the gates. To experiment, I've moved them back to my townsquare as well and still get the same message.

This doesn't happen all the time, but I've been noticing that it happens semi-frequently. Is there something with the enemy army that I'm missing that doesn't allow me to end the sally?

Nelson
10-27-2010, 15:40
Welcome!

I believe that there is a casualty threshold that must be reached to successfully conclude a sally. Don’t ask me what it is but some amount of the besieging force must be eliminated.

What happens if you end the battle having failed? Do you lose the place?

Rebel_Glamdring
10-28-2010, 01:26
Many thanks for the greeting!

In these instances, I'm usually killing 100+ enemy with my cannons, so casualty causing isn't a problem. The end result of me ending the battle is that I'm handed a clear defeat with severe casualties, despite no other troops leaving the walls. I do keep the city or castle.

I'll try and re-create this and post some screen shots. Never had this happen before until I was just going through an English campaign and it occures 7 or 8 times out of maybe 25 sallies?

Nelson
10-29-2010, 00:15
This has happened to me, too. Unpredictable.

Fortunately we don’t get ejected. We just fail to dislodge the besiegers.

Bilgediver
10-29-2010, 19:53
What I've seen sometimes is the gate itself gets stuck open for some reason, or there is one single individual person in a unit that's stuck outside the gates.

I know what you mean, its a bit of a bug sometimes, and if you play with infinite battle time it can get annoying.

Bilgediver
10-29-2010, 19:56
Welcome!

I believe that there is a casualty threshold that must be reached to successfully conclude a sally. Don’t ask me what it is but some amount of the besieging force must be eliminated.

What happens if you end the battle having failed? Do you lose the place?

Not really true, I've sucessfully concluded numbers of sallies without firing a single shot, without sending anyone out. I'll try to do a rally, notice exactly who is in the other army and realize I have no desire to fight that army just yet! (too many pavise xbowmen or longbows, etc...). Once I start the battle, I end it just as quickly without doing anything, and it gives me a "draw" screen with zero losses on each side.