PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Glossary

TinCow
10-27-2010, 20:29
MAFIA GLOSSARY!

Abstain: A vote during a day phase which registers that a player is present and playing the game, but cannot decide on who to Lynch that day. Abstain is not the same as No Lynch. Some games do not permit Abstain votes.

Active Contributor: Someone who posts not only who they want executed, but why they think that person is guilty/innocent. Their efforts are heroic, but they usually end up being killed.

Alive: This is what you want to be. If you’re alive you can still vote, and help your side (Town, Mafia, Third Party, Fourth Column, Fifth Element, etc.) win.

Bandwagon: Generally refers to a poor Case that suddenly steamrolls in momentum by gaining multiple votes. The term is also frequently, but inaccurately, used to refer to any situation in which a single player has a large number of votes. See Third on the Bandwagon.

Bunvote: When attempting to bold your vote from a cell phone, you mistakenly mess up the formatting and the bold tag becomes a "b" before "unvote".

Bussing: Scum voting for their partner to make themselves look like a Townie.

Case: One or more posts by a single player which present Evidence that another player is Scummy. Cases are usually wrong, and are commonly followed by a Bandwagon.

Detective: One of the major roles in the game; the other being Mafia Member. Detectives use night actions to investigate other players. Results vary depending on the game, but generally provide information on whether a person is Scum.

Evidence: Anything which demonstrates that a player is Scummy. Can include Detective results, but is usually composed of thread and Write-up analysis.

Finger of Suspicion: Used to draw attention to players who are acting Scummy but who, for whatever reason, are not worth voting for at that precise moment. Also useful for keeping pro-town roles alive, as Mafia tend not to kill people who are regularly considered Scummy.

FoS: See Finger of Suspicion.

Game: One game of Mafia. Comparable to a TV season. For example, in Game I Kagemusha and Shadows killed off the entire Town, earning a Mafia Victory.

High Profile: A player who is likely to be targeted by investigations/abilities in the first few rounds due to their name. (e.g. Sasaki, Ichigo and ATPG)

Host: The person running the game. They control all aspects of the game, and their rulings are final.

Invisible player: No matter what game it is, they are never the target of a bandwagon or a murder early on in a game, and often times survive to the end even when they don't lurk. (e.g. Joooray, A Very Super Market, Caius, Csargo, Splitpersonality, Double A)

Kill: When a player is removed from play by a night action. Kills are usually done by scum, but can also be done by some Town roles.

Lack of Information Syndrome: When a townie reveals that they aren't mafia simply by the fact that they have huge opportunities to cause devastating blows to the mafia's enemies, and yet they aren't making such moves. Example: In a game with two mafia families over on TWC, The Legend of Zelda: War of Hyrule, it had seemingly been decided by known cult members that Autolycus was to be the alternative lynch instead of another candidate, because it would have benefited the the cult. They had already tried to murder him outright and failed, so the smart move was to get rid of him. A basic townie ended up not voting for Autolycus, even though he was posting something else which made him seem like he was cult. To my mafia family, it looked like he was cult, but because his behavior did not match the expected coordinated attack strategy for that round by the cult, I made the call that he was not cult. The lack of information, lack of coordination in this case, is what convinced me that player was actually townie. If he was cult, it would have been a game-winning move to vote for Autolycus. This only works in crucial, game-winning situations, where the expected and almost forced move by the mafia is to do a certain thing, so it's not that common.

Lurker: Someone who does not vote/doesn’t watch the thread. Lurkers will be dealt with by the Wrath of God.

Lynch: When a person is killed by way of having a majority of votes. A person who is lynched may or may not be a townie.

Mafia: Name of the game, as well as the main game faction which is trying to eliminate the Town. This term is commonly used for that faction even if the Host's storyline gives the group some other name (i.e Sith, Vampires, Justin Bieber Fans).

Mafia member: A player in the Mafia faction. Mafia members typically Kill at night.

Mafia Victory: Earned when a mafioso kills all Town faction members, as well as any non-aligned scum.

Mafiosi: Plural of mafioso.

Mafioso: Shortened term of Mafia Member. Usually used in my postings of kills/execution.

Meatballing: Voting for someone for no reason. Coined by Silver Rusher when Lemur (a mafioso) voted for him in Game II on the basis that he saw SR “eating a spicy meat-a-ball.”

No Lynch: A vote during a day phase to refrain from Lynching any players at all during that phase. Most games do not allow No Lynch votes.

OMGUS: "Oh My God U Suck"; refers to voting for someone for the sole reason that they voted you. Generally seen as scummy and discouraged.

Perfect Information Syndrome: When a mafioso accidentally reveals he knows more than the average uninformed townie really should, either through directly declaring such information while talking about something else, or through their voting patterns. Example: (And foundation of another concept, Mafia ESP) Star Wars: Return of the Sith hosted by Sigurd, Subotan's voting pattern indicated that he knew who would be alive and who would be murdered by the end of the game, because his votes nicely complemented his murders, and he rarely ended up voting for people who ended up surviving to near the endgame. [There are better and less complicated examples of this... such as accidentally blurting out knowledge of some hidden or in-depth quirk about the game that a common townie shouldn't know]

PIS: See Perfect Information Syndrome.

Replacement: A player who takes over for another player who is about to be removed by the Host due to Suicide or WoG. Replacement is far more preferable than Suicide or WoG, as it does not upset game balance as much. Replacements are almost always Townies, as players with more interesting roles tend to participate more frequently.

Reveal: A move whereby a player publicly claims to have a specific role and/or powers. Detectives can reveal to post their Investigation results, however most reveals are done to prevent a player from being Lynched. Reveals can be faked by scum, who pretend to be Town-aligned.

Role PM: A private message sent by the Host at the start of the game, informing the player of what role he will take in the game.

Rule #1: An Org inside joke, which holds that Sasaki Kojiro is always guilty (i.e. Scum) in every game he plays. Generally considered the Mafia equivalent of an urban legend, though still commonly mentioned. The Org 'Mafia Rules' thread can be found here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?100312-Mafia-rules).

Rules: A number of rules which used to be true, but are now a sidegame for entertainment. See: Rule #1.

Scum: Mafia/Serial Killers etc. All Anti-Town roles.

Scummy: Players who are exhibiting behavior which is typical of Scum.

Scumtell: Something that points to a player being mafia, due to actions they have performed. Could comprise of words, post length, and attitude amongst other things. Typically a variation in the known behavior of a specific player, that indicates they have a role other than Townie.

Status list: Posted with every Write-up. It consists of who’s alive, who’s been killed, who’s been executed, and, when applicable, who’s dead for some other reason (usually a suicide or the Wrath of God).

Suicide: A death that occurs when, for whatever reason, someone cannot or does not want to play anymore. Suicides are done by the Host, in a manner similar to a WoG.

Survivor: What living Townies become when all scum have been eliminated.

Third on the Bandwagon: A situation in which a player is the third person to vote on a Bandwagon. Commonly used as Evidence that the player is Scum and is trying to blend into a vote without needing to initiate a Case themselves. Generally considered the Mafia equivalent of an urban legend, though still commonly used.

Toe of Suspicion: A weak FoS, commonly ignored by most players as a joke without serious accusation behind it.

ToS: See Toe of Suspicion.

Total Mafia Victory: This occurs when the Mafia succeed in wiping out the entire Town, with all mafia members remaining alive. It is a total embarrassment for the Townies.

Town: The game faction which is trying to eliminate the scum. Includes all players working towards this victory objective, regardless of their specific role. This term is commonly used for that faction even if the Host's storyline gives the group some other name (i.e Jedi, Shaolin Monks, Frontroom Residents).

Townie: This term has two different definitions. In its literal term, it means a player without any kind of special role. However, it is also commonly used to refer to anyone who is working towards a Town victory, such as Detective.

Town Victory: This occurs when the Townies are successful in eliminating all scum.

Vote Indexing: Method invented by Kommodus in Mafia II to find the mafia. Involved a spreadsheet keeping track of how often a certain person had voted for an innocent. Rendered largely null and void in following games since the Mafia are not so foolish as to be caught by it (Kommodus himself was a mafioso in Mafia III and deliberatly fooled it).

WIFOM: Stands for "wine in front of me" a reference to the scene from "The Princess Bride". Describes a situation where you go in an endless loop without reaching a conclusion, e.g. "He voted for himself and mafia care about living so he can't be mafia but he knew we would think that so it's a clever ploy so he is mafia but he knew we knew he knew..."

WoG: See Wrath of God

Wrath of God: What Lurkers suffer. Players who do not participate in the game for an extended period of time are removed from play by the Host using the WoG. Results in death in the same manner as a Kill or Lynch, but does not result from any actions by any other players. WoGs typically occur after a player has not participated for three complete day/night cycles.

Write-up: A summary posted by the Host at the end of a phase that details the events and progresses the game.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-27-2010, 21:59
Bussing: Scum voting for their partner to make themselves look innocent

(felt a twinge of guilt at using it in thread unexplained after seeing someone ask what fos meant, coincidentally)

johnhughthom
10-27-2010, 22:01
One I've seen used a lot and only vaguely understand is Perfect Information Syndrome. I believe it is when you use information that isn't publicly available and seems to have come out of nowhere to back up your defence/accusation/whatever. I'm sure somebody else could give a better definition.

ArpeggiateTHIS
10-27-2010, 22:16
Pizzaing - When all rational logic fails, post insane amounts of wordy stories and randomness to beat foes into submission. Success rate: 100%.

pevergreen
10-28-2010, 02:18
Its hard to actually go and say what the terms are.

Can't be complete without peverreenk.

I'd say High Profile: A player who is likely to be targeted by investigations/abilities in the first few rounds due to their name.
For example, Sasaki, Ichigo and ATPG are high profile.

Write-up: A summary posted by the host at the end of a phase that details the events and progresses the game.

Bandwagon: A sometimes non-existant case that suddenly steamrolls in momentum. Can be used in "third on the bandwagon" reasoning. Also see: 'khaan.

Scumtell: Something that points to a player being mafia, due to actions they have performed. Could comprise of words, post length, and attitude amongst other things.

Rules: A number of rules which used to be true, but now is a sidegame for entertainment. See: Rule #1.

Role PM: A private message sent by the host at the start of the game, informing the player of what role he will take in the game.

I'm sure I'll think of others as I come to them.

woad&fangs
10-30-2010, 05:15
Pizzaing - When all rational logic fails, post insane amounts of wordy stories and randomness to beat foes into submission. Success rate: 100%.

99% thank you very much :wink:

Maybe WIFOM could link to the actual scene?

Askthepizzaguy
10-30-2010, 08:30
Perfect Information Syndrome- When a mafioso accidentally reveals he knows more than the average uninformed townie really should, either through directly declaring such information while talking about something else, or through their voting patterns.

Example: (And foundation of another concept, Mafia ESP) Star Wars: Return of the Sith hosted by Sigurd, Subotan's voting pattern indicated that he knew who would be alive and who would be murdered by the end of the game, because his votes nicely complemented his murders, and he rarely ended up voting for people who ended up surviving to near the endgame. [There are better and less complicated examples of this... such as accidentally blurting out knowledge of some hidden or in-depth quirk about the game that a common townie shouldn't know]

(Can be reversed)
Lack of Information Syndrome- When a townie reveals that they aren't mafia simply by the fact that they have huge opportunities to cause devastating blows to the mafia's enemies, and yet they aren't making such moves.

Example: In a game with two mafia families over on TWC, The Legend of Zelda: War of Hyrule, it had seemingly been decided by known cult members that Autolycus was to be the alternative lynch instead of another candidate, because it would have benefited the the cult. They had already tried to murder him outright and failed, so the smart move was to get rid of him. A basic townie ended up not voting for Autolycus, even though he was posting something else which made him seem like he was cult. To my mafia family, it looked like he was cult, but because his behavior did not match the expected coordinated attack strategy for that round by the cult, I made the call that he was not cult. The lack of information, lack of coordination in this case, is what convinced me that player was actually townie. If he was cult, it would have been a game-winning move to vote for Autolycus. This only works in crucial, game-winning situations, where the expected and almost forced move by the mafia is to do a certain thing, so it's not that common.

GNoS: Glossopharyngeal nerve of suspicion.

The glossopharyngeal nerve is mostly sensory. The glossopharyngeal nerve also aids in tasting, swallowing and salivary secretions. Its superior and inferior (petrous) ganglia contain the cell bodies of pain fibers. It also projects into many different structures in the brainstem. To Glossopharyngeal Nerve of Suspicion someone, you are saying in layman's terms that their posts taste of the fresh and pungent stench of guilty scum, and it makes them salivate to think of their impending death, and that if you are wrong, you will swallow your pride and admit it.

Bunvote: When attempting to bold your vote from a cell phone, you mistakenly mess up the formatting and the bold tag becomes a "b" before "unvote". See also: Centurion1, the scummiest innocent player ever to have existed, who fooled everyone into thinking he was guilty as sin, and not on purpose, mind you.

"We we we" all the way home- Certain people, when mafia, use the word "we" more often than normal, and frequently this is because they are subconsciously trying too hard to identify themselves with the group. Subotan admitted he was actually trying to do this, consciously in fact, in Star Wars: Return of the Sith. This was a pretty bad case of it. When it is in half of your posts, or half of the time you're identifying yourself as "we" then you're off the baseline standard for normal townies. It's a nervous tic.

Rolling your eyes: When directed at Askthepizzaguy, by every single player besides Reenk Roink, it means they are guilty and have absolutely no real defense against my correct accusations. It has happened in almost literally every single game that I've made a big case on someone in at least the last half a year. When done by Reenk Roink, it represents standard procedure and simply means he doesn't want to hear my baloney.

Examples off the top of my head:

The Legend of Zelda (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=384005)
Star Wars: Return of the Sith (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?126828-StarWars-Return-of-the-Sith-Concluded)
The Trouble in Waiting (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?129140-The-Trouble-in-Waiting-Concluded)
Parasite (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?129573-Parasite-Earthbound-Concluded) (several times)

Invisible player: No matter what game it is, they are never the target of a bandwagon or a murder early on in a game, and often times survive to the end even when they don't lurk.
See also: Joooray, A Very Super Market, Caius, Csargo, Splitpersonality, Double A

Diamondeye: Mafia.

Example: Every game ever.
8 in 19 games as mafia
See also: atheotes

Yaseikhaan: Mafia.

23 times as mafia, 13 wins
see also: bandwagon

atheotes: Mafia.

16 times as mafia, 6 wins
see also: mafia
Did I mention atheotes is always mafia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme)?

Sasaki Kojiro: Mafia or not, he gotta die. He's probably working for them somehow.

Example: Capo III (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?119802-Capo-di-Tutti-Capi-III-(Concluded)).
But he never dies!
EVER!!! [Survived 28 times]
19 times as mafia, 11 wins

Csargo: Lurker.

Never dies!
EVER!!!! [Survived to the end 26 times.]
See also: Invisible player
Vote: Sasaki

pevergreen: Always town

76 times as townie
See also: Reenk Roink

Husar: Literally always town

(19 in 19 games as town)

Joooray: You forgot all about him and that's why he pwned you.

[12 wins, 2 draws in 23 games]

Askthepizzaguy: Wall of Text. :wall:

If mafia, see also: :rolleyes:
If mafia, see also: "always right" + sarcasm.
If mafia, see also: coroner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coroner)
If anyone, see also: aspirin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin)
Never dies! [Survived 24 times]
EVER!!! [Mafia: 14 games - Survived 9 times]
Neutral way too often. [Neutral: 6 games - Survived 3 times]

Reenk Roink: Defies description.

See also: Michael Jackson
See also: pevergreen
See also: All the ladies and 10% of the guys

Diamondeye
10-30-2010, 14:31
Good entires, ATPG :laugh4:
I finally got around to getting the title of "Atheotes II" :beam:

Also, the fourth point to the description of Reenk Roink should read
":wink:"

pevergreen
10-30-2010, 14:38
To a newcomer, the link between me and RR would be so confusing.

Crazed Rabbit
10-30-2010, 18:49
Kagemusha's Curse: Kagemusha is so far the only mafioso to successfully eliminate all the villagers in a GeneralHankerchief. Ever since then, every time Kage has died, things start to go bad for the mafia. This has lead some people to believe that there's a curse of some sort that whenever Kage dies, things start to go wrong for the mafia.

Well that needs to be updated. :snobby:

Also, I don't think it's obsolete. I recall it being mentioned in my shadow fort game earlier this year.

CR

Askthepizzaguy
10-30-2010, 18:52
To a newcomer, the link between me and RR would be so confusing.

Trust me, it's confusing all of us. There are waves of bro-mance emanating from you guys that are far too intense for most mortals to handle.

Csargo
10-30-2010, 19:52
Csargo: Lurker.

Never dies!
EVER!!!! [Survived to the end 26 times.]
Vote: Sasaki

Hey, I'm not a lurker. I just had a rough patch there with being active. You can look back and see. :angry:

Diamondeye
10-31-2010, 12:23
Trust me, it's confusing all of us. There are waves of bro-mance emanating from you guys that are far too intense for most mortals to handle.

This.

pevergreen
10-31-2010, 15:17
Its not...weird...is it?

I'm worried he is weirded out by it.

Csargo
10-31-2010, 15:23
Its not...weird...is it?

I'm worried he is weirded out by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

pevergreen
10-31-2010, 15:58
Yeah thats been done, probably by you, but two guys through a forum is a bit of a stretch.

Zack
10-31-2010, 17:17
Hope this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9068486&postcount=2) helps.

pevergreen
10-31-2010, 17:52
Anything in that list is either here or came from here (apart from the basic-ey stuff, or the things that don't apply [like items])

You had some stickied thread over there that was a copy-paste of one from here. :shrug:

Zack
10-31-2010, 22:41
You had some stickied thread over there that was a copy-paste of one from here. :shrug:

Not really, but if you really want to discuss it further, it can be done in private.

Beefy187
10-31-2010, 23:19
My understanding is that Civ Fanatics has just as much history as the Org does.
Two forums were't even close until Pizzaguy started playing there.

Pizzaguy should die more often.
His just too good to keep alive :p

Beskar
11-01-2010, 03:09
You forgot to add:

Beskar:
Constantly early-game for no legitimate game reason. (see: Metagaming)
If not killed or early gamed by a power role, early-game vote him.
Beskar dies.

Choxorn
11-06-2010, 00:20
I haven't seen "Pulling A Spartan" anywhere.

Also, add "Hand of Suspicion" and "Arm of Suspicion" to FoS.

ULC
11-06-2010, 00:29
I'd like to add "Witchhunting" - To completely ignore whatever rational argument the accused presents, or to at the very least twist whatever they so that they seem to condemn themselves, and continue to pursue them relentlessly until you or you both are lynched.

Ignoramus
11-06-2010, 03:15
I'd like to add "Ignoramus" - a person whose mere participation excites suspicion in the town's mind.

pevergreen
11-06-2010, 06:33
For an actual glossary, none of our names are really applicable.

Pulling a spartan hasn't been referenced because he hasn't been around for a while, and no one has done it for a long time.

Askthepizzaguy
11-06-2010, 06:52
I'd like to add "Witchhunting" - To completely ignore whatever rational argument the accused presents, or to at the very least twist whatever they so that they seem to condemn themselves, and continue to pursue them relentlessly until you or you both are lynched.

:laugh4:

I would think that it better fits the description for "mafia game" in general...

Sprig
11-09-2010, 23:50
I think a player glossary could be seperate to a mafia glossary or pehaps divided into sections.

ArpeggiateTHIS
11-09-2010, 23:56
:laugh4:

I would think that it better fits the description for "mafia game" in general...

Nope, you definitely witch-hunted me in Parasite: Earthbound. Although I did deserve it.

Askthepizzaguy
11-10-2010, 02:37
Nope, you definitely witch-hunted me in Parasite: Earthbound. Although I did deserve it.

You kinda witch hunted me though. I wouldn't have gone after you if you hadn't done the unwise thing and tried to get me tested. I can smell mafia from a mile away, and that smelled of mafia. Same reason I went after God Emperor, is because he was one of the few who wanted to off me quickly based on the lame excuse that I wasn't following orders.

My not following orders nearly won me the game, and it certainly won the townies the game.

:tongue: But this is neither the time nor the place.

On-topic: A player glossary is really more of a joke than a real thing. Summarizing anyone's play into a short blurb, for real, would be insulting to that person. It is satire/joke only.

TinCow
11-10-2010, 15:46
I just noticed that this thread had been stickied. As such, I decided it was necessary to clean up the first post. I have updated it with most of the changes proposed later in the thread, and modified all the red and blue highlighted terms as I thought best. I also added a few more terms and altered some of the other old and new terms to maintain consistency across the glossary. For reference purposes, I will put the original post here:

A recent post in the Star Wars game made me realize that the Glossary posted in the Mafia FAQ (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?115373-Mafia-FAQ-and-synopsis-of-previous-games&p=2193428&viewfull=1#post2193428) is incredibly out-of-date. It doesn't even explain what FoS means! I think this would be a relatively simple and useful project for us to update as a group. Since the FAQ thread is locked, I have made this one to propose changes. Here is the existing glossary:

MAFIA GLOSSARY!

Abstain:Usually somone who isn't lurking in the thread, but doesn't have any clear suspects to vote for. Is not No Lynch.

Active Contributer: Someone who posts not only who they want executed, but why they think that person is guilty/innocent. Their efforts are heroic, but usually end up being killed.

Alive: This is what you want to be. If you’re alive you can still vote, and help your side (innocents or Mafia) win.

Bandwagoning: When you vote for someone purely because they have already received votes. Used by the mafia in Game II, but is now apt to get you executed. (Surely we can do better than this...)

Csar: Guilty. (Obsolete, should be Sasaki)

Detective: One of the major roles in the game; the other being mafia member. Their job is to PM me with the name of a user they wish to investigate. I will tell them if that user is innocent or guilty. Eventually a Detective can reveal his results to everyone. (Obsolete definition, based on current role usage.)

Disco Vote: When you vote for someone because they go to a rival school. Named after discovery1, who mercilessly went after Ice in Game I because he went to Michigan. (I've never seen a single person use this term, ever.)

Execution: When a person is killed by way of having a majority of votes. A person who is executed may or may not be innocent. (We use the term Lynch now, not execution)

Frontroom: The former setting of Mafia. Landmarks are added at a whim in order to provide a backdrop for the kills.

Game: One game of Mafia. Comparable to a TV season. For example, in Game I Kagemusha and Shadows killed off the entire Frontroom, earning a Mafia Victory.

Gameroom: The current setting of Mafia.

General Hankerchief: The original narrator/organizer of Mafia. Is the only one who completely knows what’s going on. In the game, he is God and thus, will occasionally hand out the Wrath of God event. (This definition was from when GH hosted all mafia games. Slightly obsolete these days.)

GH: General Hankerchief’s preferred abbreviation.

Ghost Detective: Someone who's dead but still helps out. General Hankerchief appreciates enthusiasm but might just kill Ghost Detectives again for good measure. Sometimes allowed be the game mod, sometimes not. (not used anymore)

Guilty: See "Csar" (Should be Sasaki)

Ichigo: Guilty (Should be Strawberry)

Innocent: Someone who’s not a mafia member. Obviously, they are the targets of the mafia. e.g. someone other than Csar/Ichigo (We don't use Innocent anymore, we use Townie)

Kagemusha's Curse: Kagemusha is so far the only mafioso to successfully eliminate all the villagers in a GeneralHankerchief. Ever since then, every time Kage has died, things start to go bad for the mafia. This has lead some people to believe that there's a curse of some sort that whenever Kage dies, things start to go wrong for the mafia.

Kill: When a villager is killed by a mafia member. People who are killed are innocent. (It's been years since being killed = innocent)

Kojiro: A person who claims to be either a mafioso or Detective, but is in reality just a plain old villager. Named after Sasaki Kojiro, who famously claimed to be the Detective in Game II. (Term hasn't been used in many years, at least not in this manner.)

Lurker: Someone who does not vote/doesn’t watch the thread. Lurkers will be dealt with by the Wrath of God.

Mafia: Name of the game.

Mafia member: One of the major roles in the game; the other being Detective. Their job is to PM me each session with the name of a user whom they wish to kill. If a mafia member successfully eliminates the entire Town, they earn a Mafia Victory. (Like Detective, needs an updated definition)

Mafia Victory: Earned when a mafioso kills everyone in the Frontroom. Kagemusha did this in Game I. (Needs an update)

Mafiosi: Plural of mafioso.

Mafioso: Shortened term of Mafia Member. Usually used in my postings of kills/execution.

Meatballing: Voting for someone for no reason. Coined by Silver Rusher when Lemur (a mafioso) voted for him in Game II on the basis that he saw SR “eating a spicy meat-a-ball.”

Murder-victims-for-justice-association (MVFJA): Started by Silver Rusher in Mafia IV, the other initial member was Tiberius. Commendably active in searching for the mafia and yet tragically, tragically off the mark in their chosen target (oh, the perks of writing the glossary) (A term that has not been used in many years)

OMGUS: Stands for "Oh My God U Suck", refers to voting someone for the sole reason that they voted you, generally seen as scummy and discouraged.

Pulling a Spartan: Claiming to be a mafioso in a misguided attempt to confuse the mafia which actually ends up confusing the villagers instead.

Reveal: The Detective does this when he thinks he has enough information to provide a Townspeople victory. Or, alternatively, he’s a suspect and wants to save himself. Reveals generally consist of who’s guilty/innocent, along with some kind of proof. For an example of a good reveal, check Tiberius’ in Game II. (Obsolete definition, many roles reveal now, not just Detective, and it's a lot more complex now)

Scum: Mafia/Serial Killers etc. Anti-town.

Session: A cycle of events. A “day” in Frontroom time; it’s usually two or three in real time. A session begins and ends with me posting the updated status list. (Obsolete)

Status list: Posted with every execution. It consists of who’s alive, who’s been killed, who’s been executed, and, when applicable, who’s dead for some other reason (usually a suicide or the Wrath of God).

Suicide: When, for whatever reason, someone doesn’t want to play anymore. They are removed from the alive list. I do not accept suicides when that person is receiving a lot of votes.

Survivor: What alive innocents become when the mafia is no more. There were a few survivors in Game II; none in Game I.

Total Mafia Victory: This occurs when the Mafia succeed in wiping out the entire Frontroom, with both mafia members remaining alive. It is a total embarrassment for the innocents and the mafia get to do something special in the final scene. This has not yet occurred. (Total Mafia Victory has now been achieved a couple times. Most recent example being Chicago Soiree by Sigurd and boudica)

Townspeople Victory: This occurs when the Innocents are successful in ridding the Frontroom of the mafia. Chances of a Townspeople Victory are significantly increased when a Detective is lucky. This occurred in Game II.

Vote Indexing: Method invented by Kommodus in Mafia II to find the mafia. Involved a spreadsheet keeping track of how often a certain person had voted for an innocent. Rendered largely null and void in following games since the Mafia are not so foolish as to be caught by it (Kommodus himself was a mafioso in Mafia III and deliberatly fooled it).

UltraWar: Being killed and/or lynched in the first round repeatedly over various games (Term not used in a long time)

WIFOM: Stands for "wine in front of me" a reference to the scene from "The Princess Bride". Describes a situation where you go in an endless loop without reaching a conclusion, e.g. "He voted for himself and mafia care about living so he can't be mafia but he knew we would think that so it's a clever ploy so he is mafia but he knew we knew he knew..."

Wrath of God: (also known as Wrath of GH) What Lurkers suffer. They are no longer alive after the Wrath of God hits. The first Wrath of God famously took place in Game III but there will most likely be more. Many died from "Wrath of Silver Rusher" in the Godfather. (Needs a more general definition)

Write-up: General Hankerchief’s commentary on the game, posted at the end of the game. It contains his thoughts, reactions, and insightful tips that should be taken advantage of. Also, it reveals some really dumb PMs that the mafia might have sent me. :evil: Other mods post this as well, and often players with significant roles. (Needs a more general definition)

In the above, I have highlighted in Red terms which I think are obsolete and which can be removed as no one uses them anymore. I have highlighted in Blue terms which are still used, but I think need new definitions as the old ones are obsolete (i.e., Guilty: See "Csar" should probably be See "Sasaki"). Please post any new definition proposals below, along with any other changes to the glossary, such as new terms that need definitions that are not on that list. Humor is encouraged, but do try and only list terms that are actually used, don't turn this into another 'Mafia Rules' joke-spam thread.

New Proposals:

FoS: Finger of Suspicion. Used to draw attention to players who are acting Scummy but who, for whatever reason, are not worth voting for at that precise moment. Also useful for keeping pro-town roles alive, as Mafia tend not to kill people who are regularly considered Scummy.

ToS: Toe of Suspicion. A weak FoS, commonly ignored by most players as a joke without serious accusation behind it.

Case: One or more posts by a single player which present Evidence that another player is Scummy. Cases are usually wrong, and are usually followed by a Bandwagon.

Evidence: Anything which demonstrates that a player is Scummy. Can include Detective results, but is usually composed of thread and Write-up analysis.

The first post is not a final list, it is simply the current state of the Glossary. Please continue to post additions and alterations in this thread, and I will update the first post accordingly. In particular, after reading over the list, I believe it would be good to get a full list of common roles, such as Serial Killer, Doctor, etc.

One final note, I have removed all glossary terms that simply referenced specific people. As noted by pever and ATPG, those are really done purely for joking purposes and don't really belong in a post designed to help people understand Mafia lingo. There is one exceptions to this, though: Rule #1. Even though it relates specifically to Sasaki, I chose to keep it (actually, add it after I noticed it referenced in another term definition) because it still pops up regularly and can confuse people who do not understand what it means. As such, it is proper to define the term, even though the term itself is a reference to a specific person.

Askthepizzaguy
11-17-2010, 16:21
I'd like to point out that the eye-rolling at me thing is not limited to one player, or a group of players, or a few games, or even this forum.

It's like no matter where I go, when I get going, a mafioso simply cannot help it.... like a staring contest, they must blink. In the mafia contest, they must roll their eyes at me.

It never fails. (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8379124#post8379124)

It seriously deserves a glossary entry, Tincow. If you roll your eyes at ATPG you are either guilty or Reenk Roink, that's the bottom line.

TinCow
11-18-2010, 21:17
I'd like to point out that the eye-rolling at me thing is not limited to one player, or a group of players, or a few games, or even this forum.

It's like no matter where I go, when I get going, a mafioso simply cannot help it.... like a staring contest, they must blink. In the mafia contest, they must roll their eyes at me.

It never fails. (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8379124#post8379124)

It seriously deserves a glossary entry, Tincow. If you roll your eyes at ATPG you are either guilty or Reenk Roink, that's the bottom line.

Even so, isn't that more of a 'rule' (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?100312-Mafia-rules) than a glossary entry?

Askthepizzaguy
11-19-2010, 00:49
Even so, isn't that more of a 'rule' (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?100312-Mafia-rules) than a glossary entry?

We need to do with the "rules" list what we did with the glossary. It needs an overhaul/shortening/house cleaning.

My recommendation is that we form a committee to vote in or out the various rules. A committee of nine people (to prevent ties) to submit their list of "real" rules and rules that should be removed.

I'd obviously like to be on such a committee.

pevergreen
11-19-2010, 05:02
We need to do with the "rules" list what we did with the glossary. It needs an overhaul/shortening/house cleaning.

My recommendation is that we form a committee to vote in or out the various rules. A committee of nine people (to prevent ties) to submit their list of "real" rules and rules that should be removed.

I'd obviously like to be on such a committee.

9 people?

I'd got 5 or 7, or am I under-calculating the number of people that could be on it?

The ideal candidate would have to have been around long enough, active enough and been in enough games to be right.

How many people like that are active here still?

Maybe it is 9. :shrug:

B-Wing
06-02-2011, 02:19
Might be a good idea to add the term "Joker" here to explain the role, since I've seen it referenced a few times. Perhaps a more thorough definition than simple "banned forever", since some of us newbies are quite curious as to why it is banned.

Askthepizzaguy
06-02-2011, 04:06
Might be a good idea to add the term "Joker" here to explain the role, since I've seen it referenced a few times. Perhaps a more thorough definition than simple "banned forever", since some of us newbies are quite curious as to why it is banned.

I think it would be fair to include a list of the majority of roles that have ever been used in these games, barring special one-shot roles which don't fit a cookiecutter pattern.

I would like to tackle this one, as soon as I get a day off, which is coming up really soon.

Zack
06-05-2011, 19:58
I think it would be fair to include a list of the majority of roles that have ever been used in these games, barring special one-shot roles which don't fit a cookiecutter pattern.

I would like to tackle this one, as soon as I get a day off, which is coming up really soon.

http://mikeburnfire.sitesled.com/mscumB.swf