PDA

View Full Version : Shogun 2: Total War is dead. Long live Total War: Shogun 2!

pevergreen
11-29-2010, 04:54
Really CA? Really?

Wow.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-26-why-did-sega-change-total-wars-name

For a decade, Total War games have followed the same naming convention - but Shogun 2 will change all that.

Why?

"Both Creative Assembly and SEGA have intended to invert the Total War naming convention for some time," a SEGA spokesperson told Euroagmer.

"The Total War series of games spans over 10 years of titles. We wanted to identify all of these as one series using a more obvious naming convention for players.

"Revealing the new title with the Shogun 2 box art was the opportune time to do so," the spokesperson added.

The new game will be known as Total War: Shogun 2.

Box art:
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/0/4/4/5/3/a_med_SHO2_PC_2D_UK.jpg.jpg

Tuuvi
11-29-2010, 05:53
But Shogun 2:Total War sounds so much better...a dumb, pointless decision if you ask me.

pevergreen
11-29-2010, 06:14
But Shogun 2:Total War sounds so much better...a dumb, pointless decision if you ask me.

I agree completely. It just stinks of bad decision making.

You buy 'title here': Total War. So what if it has a number in it.

I buy The Legend of Zelda: 'title here'. The games dont even have anything to do with zelda anymore.

Not the time to change it when you're trying to get all the people from STW back. What do we call this now? STW, MTW, RTW, M2TW, ETW, NTW and now TWS2?

AggonyReborn
11-29-2010, 07:16
It is actually right in how most titles are presented. The series is named following the chapter.

Togakure
11-29-2010, 07:22
Meh, I don't care what they call it--call it Return of the Sword-Swingin' Nipponites Who Scream GAH! for all I care. I just want the game to be GREAT! I want to feel like I did as I played my first STW game--blown away, and addicted for weeks thereafter.

Swoosh So
11-29-2010, 07:28
Its for marketting purposes, the series is far more well known as totalwar than the actual game "series" shogun.

It comes down to the fact that people are more likely to buy a totalwar branded game than a shogun branded game. If it helps sell more games in any way then it can only be a good thing.

Gregoshi
11-29-2010, 15:53
Meh, I don't care what they call it--call it Return of the Sword-Swingin' Nipponites Who Scream GAH! for all I care. I just want the game to be GREAT! I want to feel like I did as I played my first STW game--blown away, and addicted for weeks thereafter.
Here here!! And :laugh4:

Prince Cobra
11-29-2010, 16:12
I could not see the difference at first. Now I see it... :stare:

Barkhorn1x
11-29-2010, 16:37
Oh my things to worry about.

A Nerd
11-29-2010, 19:33
I don't mind what they call it. Like others, I just want it to be as fun and addicting as the original.

AggonyKing
11-29-2010, 20:35
eh I don't mind the name. Its just like any big franchise game, Call of Duty, Battlefield, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. It makes the brand more recognizable. Hopefully, the game will be as good as the cover.

Magyar Khan
11-29-2010, 22:21
its silly where we are talking about.... 3 months for release why isnt this forum of such a big game series buzzing with new info...... why doesnt ca release weekly new info or a small battle report....? snif

Prince Cobra
11-29-2010, 23:51
its silly where we are talking about.... 3 months for release why isnt this forum of such a big game series buzzing with new info...... why doesnt ca release weekly new info or a small battle report....? snif

Don't worry. For some tens of dollars I will connect you with the Ghost who will tell you the truth :fortune:

More seriously, I hope all of this mystery is justified by a BIG and pleasant surprise.

Hooahguy
11-30-2010, 05:51
Im still calling it STW2.

Prince Cobra
11-30-2010, 15:54

Heresy!!!

http://new.sliven.net/res/news/28161/s1_fire_1_.jpg

NagaoKagetora
11-30-2010, 20:43
I think the appropriate response these days is :-

/care

Tsavong
11-30-2010, 21:25
I like the art work it dose not bother me which way the title is on the box I will still call its S2TW I just hope it is going to be good or edging on great.

Cecil XIX
12-03-2010, 09:42

Same here. I dislike having the series distance itself from it's roots like this, but there's no use in complaining.

a completely inoffensive name
12-05-2010, 15:32
This is absolutely terrible. Another horrific decision by CA. On par with releasing no mod tools. Yet another reason why I will not be buying this game.

Swoosh So
12-07-2010, 21:10
It is a completely innoffensive name ;)

Togakure
12-07-2010, 22:30
da-Dump dump Tish! Good one.

Tempiic
12-08-2010, 15:24
It is a completely innoffensive name ;)

I dunno, I am slightly offended by all the characters I have to type in the correct sequence to spell his name properly.

pevergreen
12-08-2010, 17:31
ACIN

Easy to remember because all of his posts are a sin.

Beskar
12-09-2010, 13:46
Yeah, we are still waiting on the mod tools. I forgot all about that.

Nevermind, at least Divine Wind is pretty simple to understand in comparison.

pevergreen
12-09-2010, 16:30
Yeah, we are still waiting on the mod tools. I forgot all about that.

Nevermind, at least Divine Wind is pretty simple to understand in comparison.

Yup.

Vicky 2 and EU3 simply outdo Total War. They may not have battles, but if you really want that, there are games that do battles better than TW.

Revolting Friendship
12-09-2010, 19:27
They may not have battles, but if you really want that, there are games that do battles better than TW.

Seriously? Can I have the name of these titles?

Phog_of_War
12-10-2010, 03:35
^^ Indeed.

Cecil XIX
12-15-2010, 01:39
Yup.

Vicky 2 and EU3 simply outdo Total War. They may not have battles, but if you really want that, there are games that do battles better than TW.

Ah, but the strength of Total War has always been the way it combines battles and campaigns. Finding a game that does one of them better is easy like you say.

Nelson
12-17-2010, 17:31
What games out do Total War in the tactical battles? I don't mean turn based war games that focus on just one fight, I mean a real time battle sim.

Revolting Friendship
12-17-2010, 22:33
What games out do Total War in the tactical battles? I don't mean turn based war games that focus on just one fight, I mean a real time battle sim.

Yeah, I still actually want to know. I want to know so that I can play them.

RabidGibbon
01-04-2011, 22:04
The closest thing to the total war series I can think of is Take Command: 2nd Mannasas (sp?). It has perhaps 20 scenarios (obviously all American civil war). Its pretty good - a better 3d real time battle game than any individual clash you get in a total war campaign.

It has a sequel now called "Scourge of War: Gettysburg" which apparently has multiplayer but I can't speak for that because I haven't played it.

Nikodil
01-05-2011, 23:00

Some games worth mentioning are:

HISTWAR : Les Grognards (http://www.histwar.com/) (napoleonic)
Take Command series (http://www.madminutegames.com/index.htm) (american civil war)
Combat Mission series (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=273&Itemid=456) (WWII and modern warfare)

They are all real time battle sims that are more "realistic" than TW. Definitely worth playing, but personally I would like a game that combined advanced realistic real-time sim with easy to use controls. All of them (and TW for that matter) are unnecessary hard to control, I often find myself fighting the user interface more than the enemy :(

Double A
01-06-2011, 22:49
Very pointless move. People know TW series as Name: Total War, not Total War: Name. And everyone's just gonna call it S2TW anyway.

2nd Mannasas (sp?)

You certainly did spell it wrong. The correct spelling is "Bull Run."