PDA

View Full Version : Getting into series

pavb2
12-15-2010, 14:10
Hi all about a year ago a friend recommended TW series saying how addictive it was. I bought bundle starting with RTW but couldn't really get into it,down loaded guides etc maybe my old lap top was a bit slow I just didn't get it. I want to really try it again.

So what would people recommend should I look at guides again,try ETW,Mtw any help appreciated.

TosaInu
12-15-2010, 21:28
Hello and welcome pavb2,

It depends a bit on your preference and which titles you have. Does your bundle also include STW and MTW?

pavb2
12-15-2010, 22:20
Hi TosaInu includes Empire,Medieval,Alexander,Barbarian Invasion & Rome don't think STW but I tried Rome rather than going to others first

TosaInu
12-15-2010, 23:15
Hello pavb2,

There were 2 Medievals. I guess you have the 2nd one. Rome is the oldest in that serie and should demand the least from your hardware. The first move would be to optimise your software and use the settings that allow you to play RTW smoothly. Also regarding controls. Understanding the game is secondary.

Don't worry about not getting the hang of it right away. These games are quite complex.

pevergreen
12-16-2010, 03:14
The type of game isnt for everyone.

Do you enjoy Turn Based Strategy? The campaign map is that. The battles are then Real Time Tactical.

Rome is still my favourite out of all the Total War games, because of the time period it is set in. I love being able to take a Roman faction, go conquer and then fall into the civil war. Having a unit that I've used constantly, and is a veteran with 5 experience is more meaningful than a freshly recruited unit.

You really have to enjoy one or both of the elements to the game to be able to enjoy the game.

AggonyReborn
12-16-2010, 06:42
Rome was my first dive into Total War and enjoyed the single player untill Mtw2 came out. Then I found my calling in the gaming community. I went online with mtw2 and couldnt stop playing it (good thing I was single then) But right its a game of certain taste, If you love warfare and a certain time period of that era is a plus because it puts you in the shoes that some of us wish we can travel in time to achieve the same glory. Its a hand on experience just have to get lost into it all, and eventually you will find yourself in front of the computer 5 hours later about the time you need to go to work :D

pavb2
12-17-2010, 12:25
Thanks for all replies have Med 2 kingdoms so I'll try Rome again,single user should I use the advisor much?

Pavb2

AggonyReborn
12-19-2010, 04:10
its your preference once you get the basics of the game down, which the advisor is around for, you wont need it anymore. Mainly the best way is through your own experience, advisor isnt gonna teach you anything you cant learn for yourself, and again is just a tutorial for how the menus work how to build and so on...

Motep
12-19-2010, 08:03
I never used the advisers. It made the learning curve a touch steeper, but also made the game more rewarding. And also, by ignoring the adviser, there is a thrill of discovery months in when you find a small icon that just rocks your world

TosaInu
12-26-2010, 22:52
I like machines/games best that require no reading of instructions at all. When a machine/game suits me, I get away with that.

But do what works best for you.

rox_ellis17
02-02-2011, 07:23
hello everybody. it's nice to be here.

Mithrandir
02-06-2011, 16:19
Welcome Rox ellis17. :bow:

pevergreen
02-06-2011, 16:21
Welcome Rox ellis17. :bow:

You are around!

Mithrandir
02-06-2011, 16:34
I'm always around ;).
My post frequency just isn't what it used to be..

How are you doing pever?

pevergreen
02-06-2011, 16:55
I'm always around ;).
My post frequency just isn't what it used to be..

How are you doing pever?

I had a nasty shock a few hours ago that could have bad ramifications, but I'll sort it out tomorrow.

But seeing you post has made me feel all better.

I've taken care of the camels in your absence, Your Grace and His Lordships as well.

:bow:

For now, though, I am to bed.

ColIndyJones1958
02-13-2011, 18:33
Dear Pervergreen:

Good afternoon from Canada!! I hope this finds you nad yours well.

My name is Indy, and I'll admit that my favourite TW game of all time is Medieval 2!!! I love the idea that it's "a living board game" plus the fact that you can do so much with a real time strategy game. If you want to create a little excitement for yourself and ruin some other faction's day, take their towns or sink their navies. If you're a Catholic nation like England, France or Venice, gain as much clout with the Pope as you can, which means build chapels/churches/abbies/cathedrals and recruit priests all over the place!

My favourite trick in this game is to get rid of heretics using my assassins. They make great heretic repellant!!!!

I hope this helps!!!

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly!!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.