PDA

View Full Version : Units in S2TW

Ibn-Khaldun
01-08-2011, 13:52
Could some people post what kind of units we could see in S2TW? Perhaps a short description as well?

TosaInu
01-08-2011, 14:52
I recall we had a presentation of units for the previous titles at http://www.totalwar.com . Or do you mean to discuss what we would like to see?

Ibn-Khaldun
01-08-2011, 15:21
I meant, what units have people seen in the videos or what have been confirmed by the CA in previews.

TosaInu
01-08-2011, 23:08
I've seen archers (ashigaru and monks), teppo, pike and yari ashigaru, naginata samurai, sword samurai and some mounted samurai with yari. My guess is that the game will start late 15th or early 16th century, so some mounted archers would be nice.

Mounted archery was one of the ways to fight. They should be tough units, nothing like the Kensai, but neither brittle like the lcav in the original STW. Those never gave the feel of mounted samurai archers. Mounted archers became obsolete on the battlefield, that was not because they couldn't fight, but because there were many more men on the field during the 16th century. Men with pikes, spears and guns. One samurai was still strong, but could be swarmed by 20 or more ashigaru. In answer to that mounted samurai exchanged the bow for a nice yari (or naginata or whatever suited them). I'ld like them to be a small group, say 12 men and with some realistic samurai horseback firing and some shockpower.

I think you can play fine samurai battles/wars with just those few units. I hope to see teppo units in uniform and smaller and more individual samurai teams.