PDA

View Full Version : Multi-play idea

Patton21
06-27-2001, 08:14
I have STW but have never played it online. Can a 56k modem do the trick? Also i have read about many bastard like tactics being used in mp. Is it even fun any more? Also, how does it work. Do you have a set number of kokus to buy whatever units you want? Tell me how it works. Also i dominated at the game will i do allright in mp? I know the tactics of Caesar and Hannibal will they work in the game? Thanks for the help, plus all you cheater, wussy players who use gammey tactics, you can go puck yourselves.

------------------
The bastard

smeegol
06-27-2001, 09:37
well.. it starts off by server being made.. server picks map and koku along with season etc..
ppl join... pick units and hit ready.. when everyones ready the server starts..
the online is still fairly unstable and laggy so i dont play much
if your real good at single youll be alright at multi multi is harder but i rarely play it and when i do i usually dominate

kaltes
06-27-2001, 10:35
If you 'dominate' in SP then you undoubtedly use cheesy tactics that exploit the weaknesses of the AI. That si good and fine, but if that isn't cheating, then the 'tactics' of MP are definately not cheating. The only things that I can see being abused in MP are:

#1 CAMPING - People host a game, pick defense on a map that favors the defender, gives himself equal koku, and just sits on the hill (or behind the bridge) to defend and get an easy win.

workaround: unless there is a timer, you can assume a defensive posture yourself, then tell the camper that you have no intention of ever attacking, and that you have several hours to spare. Then inform him youre going to just watch TV and make dinner. Hilarity is sure to ensue! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

#2 MONKEYS - Warrior Monks are simply too cheap for what they are. Until their cost is increased (to 550 or 600 base in my opinion) they are simply better than the alternatives. Because of this they are overused.

#3 MUSKETS - First of all their ammo supply is virtually limitless, and with their range, accuracy, reload time, and morale damage, they are very strong for only 175 koku base. Not only that, but their ability to fire through friendly units without killing them is a horribly effective means of breaking an enemy unit that is already engaged.

Other than that MP is great, if a gimmick strategy (I use a few) beats you once, just devise a way to stop it and practice practice practice.

Kraellin
06-27-2001, 11:38
my goodness, what a lot of cynics ;)

yes, you can play with a 56k modem. you prolly cant host anything more than a 1 vs 1, but you can join 2v2, 3v3, and on an exceptionally good day, even a 4v4.

and like any other online game there are players you just put on ignore and others you wouldnt mind having a beer with and watching a football game.

tactics vary greatly depending on skills, style and so on. and since the ai in single player isnt nearly as clever as good online players you can expect that even if you rock in single, you may suck at first in multi. it can be a real ego basher at first. on the other hand, maybe you really are another alexander the great and will mop up the field in multi, but i wouldnt count on it till you've played a while ;)

K.

Shuko
06-27-2001, 16:39
Patton21

may god help you because in multiplayer no one else can http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif..............the wusses will enjoy plucking your feathers so you may look like a buzzard instead of a bastard http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Vanya
06-27-2001, 20:55
I say just go online and try your hand at a few games and see how you like it...

Asakura Lord
06-27-2001, 21:09
I was a little skeptical at first to play online, but once I did I was glad. It is real fun and totally different from SP. I do have a little problem with lag using the 56K modem, but I am in the process of getting my cable modem, and will be playing more so I won't be getting disconnected all the time.

------------------
Asakura Lord (Daimyo of Clan of the Sword)
Honour to the Clan!

Dark Phoenix
06-27-2001, 21:14
Shuko I dont think anyone besides me will understand that sentence. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon (http://clandragon2.homestead.com/Dragon01.html)

I am no hero I just like to hit people in the head. :p

Koga No Goshi
06-28-2001, 02:36
Lag in-game doesn't seem to be entirely connection-dependant. Rainy games seem to lag regardless of connection, as well as high player games where a few people don't have their gunsmoke turned off. I believe both of these factors slow down processors themselves, as well as hogging the bandwidth, creating lag. Most people with cable modem agree 6 player rain games lag regardless of connection. (Idea: maybe you could turn off "weather" in your options and just see a "rain icon" in a corner of the screen without having to watch the on-going rain animation so slower processors could still compete in MP? So many good ideas I don't think we'll see in Expansion.)

I'm still in my first two weeks of online play and alternately find it very very fun and very very frustrating. There are those days I go up against 8 people in 8 games on 8 maps using the exact same army. There are other days I'm always surprised and win and lose some reasonably. Other days I seem unnaturally lucky and go on a winning streak.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

Why did you bring 16 Female Ashigaru? Keep clicking weather, they're only strong one week a month.

Kraellin
06-28-2001, 09:46
koga,

that's one of the reasons i tend to poo-poo the historians here. if they had their way we'd all play with 14 ashi's, 1 taisho, and 1 other unit of your choice. (boy, this is going to get me in trouble....again)

i LIKE the fact that you can mix up all these hypothetical armies and honor and so on and on any given day, playing the same folks, on the same map, with the same army, win or lose. it keeps it a challenge. i say screw history and give me more options :)

and to possibly appease the historians a bit (lol, that aint gonna happen after what i just said), having MORE options would allow them to tweak the game to their liking also.

K.

Koga No Goshi
06-28-2001, 10:35
I am one of the "historians" and all I would like to see is an option for host to disable or limit specific units in the game. In one game, maybe I want to completely ban missle troops of all kinds. In another, say, nothing banned but an honor cap on monks. That'd be neat and would make for a lot more game diversity.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

Why did you bring 16 Female Ashigaru? Keep clicking weather, they're only strong one week a month.

Khan7
07-04-2001, 04:07
Koga: see my ideas in my Camp. Game ideas thread, specifically the ones dealing with realism in unit types, and see if they would satisfy what you are talking about.

Essentially I like the options and interesting play provided in the current model, but I also am somewhat into realism and accurate simulation, and I think that the modifications I suggest in my thread would be a realistic and fun balance. So read them and offer feedback.

------------------
Khan7