PDA

View Full Version : End turn = sudden defeat - why?

Furunculus
03-20-2011, 22:09
at the end of turn 144 i get a popup saying; "defeat - you ancestors feed the earth" along with a big load of statistics on past battles.

my daimyo is still sat in his castle.
there have been no messages saying someone else is claiming/claimed the shogunate.
i'm doing really rather well holding the two small islands.

i can continue, but why would i when i cannot win.

and WHY can i not win?

Monk
03-20-2011, 22:11
Perhaps a static cutoff date for victory conditions? What year were you at when you got the message?

antisocialmunky
03-20-2011, 22:26
That's 36 years in. FYI

Gregoshi
03-20-2011, 22:30
What was the age of your daimyo and did he have any heirs? Just a thought.

knoddy
03-20-2011, 23:12
was it a short campaign?

Furunculus
03-20-2011, 23:40
he might have been old, not sure, but he was very much still alive.

afaik it was a long campaign, i never play short campaigns.

very odd, if defeat happens there ought to be a pop-up stating why, feels like a bug in the victory/defeat conditions.

Furunculus
03-21-2011, 11:39
any further info on this.............?

i have only played one campaign so far, so what information does one usually receive along with a defeat notification?

i.e. your family is dead, or someone else claimed the shogunate, or you ran out of time......... there must be something, it cannot just read "defeat"!

al Roumi
03-21-2011, 15:39
Sounds weird to me. Have you tried reloading an older save?

Edit, sorry that is the equivalent of saying: "have you tried turning it on and off again?" and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but playing through the last few turns might mean you can avoid whatever bug -if it is one.

Furunculus
03-21-2011, 15:55
i have tried reloading the autosave from the turns end, and got the same result even when the battle that i auto-resolved (and lost the first time) before the defeat popup arrived, was avoided the second time around.

you are right, i'll have a look and see if there is a reasonably close save point.

still curious to see what other people get when they are defeated, for whatever reason, because i got no info on why.

Gregoshi
03-21-2011, 16:30
Can't help you yet Furunculus - I'm still hanging on in my first campaign.

al Roumi
03-21-2011, 17:08
still curious to see what other people get when they are defeated, for whatever reason, because i got no info on why.

The impression I get from reading most posts by people claiming defeat is that most haven't actually felt the axe against their neck, just its shadow. They've been outplayed by the AI, can't match it's armies/web of alliances or played themselves into a dead-end and abandon the campaign before the game actually formalises it for them.

Furunculus
03-21-2011, 17:25
i on the other hand was going big-guns, with two secure islands, a healthy treasury, and able to crank out endless 16 stack armies with no penalty on the bottom line, unless my family line had died or another nation had grabbed the shogunate in only turn 144 i cannot see any reason why i should be defeated. i had not even attracted the (full) ire of the present shogun.

i am confused.

Furunculus
03-21-2011, 22:08
happened again.

replayed from turn 136 and when i got to 145 i got the same defeat message:

https://i.imgur.com/241o7.jpg

*puzzled*

bug?

Diamondeye
03-22-2011, 11:46
Turn 145 this time, or 144 as the first time?

I think your best shot is that someone else has claimed the Shogunate. Is that the Matsuda clan so far to the east (the teal)?

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-22-2011, 11:59
Turn 145 this time, or 144 as the first time?

I think your best shot is that someone else has claimed the Shogunate. Is that the Matsuda clan so far to the east (the teal)?

Thats it!

This must be a glitch or you have not conqered all of Japan.\Thats why its comes up.Its a common thing in total war games

Furunculus
03-22-2011, 12:35
the game REALLY ought to inform you why you were defeated, especially if the victory condition is one you might not be able to otherwise know.....

Monsieur Alphonse
03-22-2011, 17:42
Why don't you look in the clan info screen and see your objectives were. Maybe you have started a short campaign without knowing it. The game starts every campaign by default as a short campaign. Other then that is should be a glitch since you didn't get a warning that an other clan was winning.

Furunculus
03-23-2011, 00:42
you are right, both ways:
> it is a short campaign by default
> but there should be a tool-tip saying why you are defeated, and warnings that defeat is imminent.

=cheers.