PDA

View Full Version : Hello - and a question :P

TweedyTodd
04-19-2011, 17:58
Hello there.
My name is Jimmi and i live in Denmark.

I recently decided to try a Total War game, after seeing some of the let's plays on Youtube.
The problem is, however, that i'm new to the strategy games (i have actually never played one).

So my question is;
Which Total War game would you recommend a total strategy newbie as me to start with;
Rome, Medieval II or Empire? (I'm limitted by my crappy computer - so i think Empire is the newest game i will be able to play on this pc)

And do you have any sources of helpfull information to any of the games? I have never tried this kind before, and i looks quite hard and confusing. So any help at all would be good.

Thx

drone
04-19-2011, 18:57
Welcome to the Org, TweedyTodd! ~:wave:

I guess the important question is: Is there any particular historical era that interests you?

If you are worried about performance, you can also download the Shogun 2 demo on Steam and try it out on your PC. I was surprised my laptop could handle it, even at slightly reduced graphics.

Who am i?
04-20-2011, 01:17
Hello.

Rome is good, or shiny Medievil 2.

TheLastDays
04-20-2011, 08:09
I guess Rome is good - it was my introduction to the series (although not to strategy games...) - and made me wanna play even the old Shogun and later Medieval 2 and Empires...
Just like you I am dreading to install S2 because of crappy computer ;)

A Nerd
04-20-2011, 09:20
I would recommend Medieval 2. It might be a nice starter.

Myrddraal
04-20-2011, 12:11
As drone said, downloading demos is a good way to try out the performance.

Welcome to the .org ~:wave:

Marshall Louis-Nicolas Davout
04-20-2011, 14:20
Buy Shogun 2.awesome game.

Quintus.JC
04-22-2011, 19:30
Like TheLastDays Rome was also the game that introduced me to the series. I think nothing could go wrong if you start with Rome; plus there are lots of awesome guides out there e.g. Frogbeastegg, Smackus Maximus etc. that could make you an expert in no time. Medieval II is good too, but I would maybe leave Empire till a bit later. It requires Steam to play and asks a lot from your computer; furthermore the campaign map is vastly different from the other two, and the battles are also different, with more focus on gunpowder instead of swords and bows and arrows.

Welcome to the Org TweedyTodd. :ave:

Quintus.JC
04-22-2011, 19:40
And do you have any sources of helpfull information to any of the games? I have never tried this kind before, and i looks quite hard and confusing. So any help at all would be good.

Thx

Okay, you can't go wrong with Rome. Here's Frogbeastegg's Guide (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?38382-frogbeastegg-s-Guide-to-Rome-Total-War-and-the-Barbarian-Invasion) from the Org and the Smackus Maximus Guide (http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/rome-total-war/551582p1.html) on IGN. Both did me wonders when I was a newbie.