PDA

View Full Version : Large Mafia Game Island of Nightmares

Zack
04-30-2011, 17:34
Island of Nightmares

Something of a sequel to The Chamber (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436506)

https://i.imgur.com/3Beiy.png

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/imamcajBEJs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/imamcajBEJs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="25"></object>

On a quarantined island far away from all signs of civilization, hope emerges. After years and years of an existence as the location of countless horrors, the island -- dubbed the "Island of Nightmares" -- has finally risen out of the ash. Evil has been conquered, and the remaining humans are attempting to establish a government on the Island of Nightmares. Naturally, there was a major flaw with this plan and course of action.

The unspeakable terrors, the evil on the island -- not exactly vanquished, as the humans thought. Reduced in number and forced to hide themselves in disguise among the humans would be more accurate. And these monsters, they won't stop at anything to destroy the efforts of the humans, to bring the Island back into chaos. They've infiltrated the government. Their disguises are impeccable, their power unimaginable, their intelligence and cleverness unheard of. And now these beasts are killing off the members of the fledgling government.

For all you know, the nice, charming fellow sitting next to you is a bloodthirsty demon.

For all you know, you could be the next. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/smilies/gc/gc-skull.gif

Game Description:

28 - 48 players (multiples of 4)
48 hour Day phases, 24 hour Nights
Investigations are not 100% effective.
Four political parties vying for political power
One mafia team (demons and such), one innocent team (humans). Nothing else.
Laws to propose, pass, and revoke
Alignment revealed upon death
Tied lynch results in no lynch

There will be 4 political parties.

Communist Party

Social Democrat Party

Libertarian Party

Conservative Party

Zack
04-30-2011, 17:35
Game Rules

1. Once the game begins, everyone will be sent a townie PM. If you do not receive another PM before this one, then you are a basic townie. These will outline the standard townie's win conditions. Keep in mind that I am sending this PM to everyone, so it is neither an indicator of guilt nor of innocence.

2. You are not allowed to quote any part of your Role PM! You are allowed to say what role you are and what powers/abilities/whatever you have, but quoting your entire Role PM or even partially quoting your Role PM is not allowed -- especially in private, that will result in either your Role PM being posted by me in the thread (or whatever part you shared privately) or a WOG, depending on the circumstances. Unsure of how much you can copy directly? Ask me before you post.

3. No quoting any private conversations of any kind, no matter who you have them with. Paraphrase, it really is not that much effort to do so.

4. You may NOT communicate privately with other living players by ANY method other than in QuickTopics that I have created. This means no PMing, IMing, chatting, telepathic communications, etc. concerning this game! You are also prohibited from creating your own QuickTopics, but you are encouraged to post in the ones I have created and given you the link to. You are prohibited from sharing QuickTopic links.

5. Everyone with any active night abilities must send me night orders. This is accomplished by sending me a PM during the night phase detailing what you want to do and who you want to do it to. Failure to do so will result in your character performing no action.

6. The dead cannot reveal anything, including previous night actions, but they may participate as much as they want to contribute to general discussion, including making cases against the living (assuming that no out-of-thread information is used). The dead also may not communicate outside the thread in any way, shape, or form relating to this game with ANYONE, be it via PM, chat, QuickTopic, telepathic communications or various other methods.

7. During the Day Phase, you may vote to lynch a living player. Also note that elections and Votes of No Confidence may only take place during the Day. In order to vote to lynch someone, use standard voting procedure:

Vote: Zack

Unvote, Vote: z4ckdabeast

Abstain is allowed, but No Lynch is not. A vote for No Lynch, an invalid vote, a vote for Abstain, or an unvote without a new vote will be counted as an Abstain.

8. No editing the content of your posts. You may make grammar or spelling edits, but be sure to list the reason in the edit box. ANY type of editing of your post which contains a vote renders that vote invalid.

9. WOGs will occur if I deem them fit, whether it is due to inactivity or rule breaks. Please, please don't make me WOG you. If possible, I will replace you.

10. Day and Night both last 24 hours. I will also post a link at the beginning of the game and every time I post a tally to a Google Spreadsheet where I keep track of whom is voting for whom. Result PMs will start going out immediately following the Night update.

11. The player list (in the form of the current government) will be kept updated on the first post of the Information Thread (which I will create once the game begins). Each update will be linked to on the first post of the Information Thread, and updates and any other announcements will be posted in both threads.

12. If you are going to be absent during the game, you may tell me which night actions to perform while you are away, until you get back. If you intend to miss many days of voting, send me a message explaining why and when you think you'll be back. This way, I won't WOG/replace you.

13. If you have any questions about the game, ask them in this thread (the sign-up thread). If there are enough questions or I feel like the same question keeps being asked, I may start a FAQ section right here below the Rules.

14. BE ACTIVE! Don't be afraid to have lengthy and in-depth discussions in the thread, but PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SPAM (spam = anything not relating to the game).

15. Read the rules above and below repeatedly, until your head explodes into confetti.

Other, More Specific Stuff

(Note that these procedures do not necessarily work exactly like they do in real life. This is done to better fit the game.)

All players belong in one of four political parties: Communist Party, Social Democrat Party, Libertarian Party, Conservative Party. Each party starts the game out with the same amount of players. Obviously, the scumbags will belong to parties as well.

At the beginning of the game, all government positions will be vacant. The game will start with a Nomination Phase (the one and only of the game). Each party will nominate a player from their party for the position of President. Nominations will be done in the following format (some variation of blue):

Vote: Zack as President

Unvote, Vote: z4ckdabeast as President

(More on nominations -- the nominated player before the game starts will become that party's leader, and will automatically be that party's candidate for any elections. Should a party's leader die, they will conduct a nomination for a new leader during the phase immediately after their previous leader died.)

After nominations are complete, Day 1 will begin, and elections will be held for a President (only nominated candidates may be voted on). The candidate who receives the most votes (In case of a tie, the tied candidates will be re-voted on the next day; if there is a four-way tie, random.org decides the winner; if there is another tie, random.org decides the winner. Needless to say, ties are bad.) will become the President, effective immediately. During the Night, he will appoint players to all other government positions. If there are more positions than the President has party members, he will be forced to appoint players from other parties to certain positions; of course, he/she is not required to appoint players from his own party to positions, the President may appoint whomever he/she likes. This also opens the door for alliances, deals, i.e. "We'll vote you to become President if you give these positions to these people from our faction.", things like that.

Players vote for their candidate of choice to fill a certain position by posting in the following format (in some variation of green):

Vote: Zack as President

Unvote, Vote: z4ckdabeast as President

This voting process will be repeated if the President is killed or removed from office.

If you are unsatisfied with the performance of either the President, you may give them a Vote of No Confidence and attempt to remove that player from office. This is accomplished by voting in the following format:

Vote of No Confidence.

Unvote.

For the motion to be successful, at least half of the living players must have voted to impeach that player. If the motion is successful, the President and all other government officials will be removed from office. Elections will be held the next Day.

If the President dies, the Vice President takes his spot and appoints a new Vice President. If any government official besides the President dies, the President will simply appoint a different player to take that position.

When there is not an election, the Vice President may choose to propose a bill to the players. You may vote for either "Yes" or "No" to the bill in the following format (in some variation of purple):

Vote: Yes

Unvote, Vote: No

If "Yes" receives more votes than "No", the bill will be made into a law. The effects will be made known publicly only after becoming a law. The Vice President may also propose to revoke a law instead. Also keep in mind that the effects may or may not change over the course of the game. A change in effects for a law in place will be announced publicly. Voting is in the same format as it is in voting to pass bills. To successfully revoke a law, at least half of all players must vote "Yes".

You are required to vote in nominations, elections, and in passing/revoking of bills, in addition to voting for lynches.

Roles

This game uses something resembling a 'split town' concept, somewhat like what was seen in a game such as Rubicon (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?116681-Rubicon-%28Concluded%29), but not on as large of a scale.

The game will start with an even number of members in each party, whom will each want to complete their separate agendas regarding laws and elections. For each bill that is proposed, all parties have a specific outcome they desire. (Keep in mind that this will be black and white and may not necessarily reflect the actual positions of the parties.)

Everyone who is not mafia is a townie. Both mafia and town are completely vanilla to start the game. The mafia can kill two people each night. However, any player (including mafia!!!) who takes a government position will be able to utilize the abilities of that position. The positions and their abilities are listed below.

President

Vote breaks ties in all methods of voting.
Appoints other government positions.
Can veto a bill, causing it to require a 2/3 majority to pass.
If Martial Law is in place: Votes of No Confidence may be taken against the President, the President cannot be lynched, and the President may singlehandedly choose the outcome of a proposed bill/revoking of a law. However, any player may attempt to assassinate him at night, with a small chance of success. He may still be lynched as normal.

Vice President

Chooses to propose or revoke bills on Days where no election takes place.
Takes over the Presidency if the President dies.
Knows the effects of a proposed bill.

Minister of Justice

Can veto a lynch, requiring it to have attained a majority of votes (as opposed to a simple plurality, as usual).
Lynch vote counts as three votes.

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Must deal with ambassadors of foreign countries, which may or may not be able to influence the game.

Minister of Defense

Can protect two players each night, including himself. However, he cannot protect the same person two nights in a row -- including himself.

Minister of Treasury

He can "bribe" players, the effects of which are unknown.
The effectiveness of the "bribe" depends on the amount of tax revenue.

Minister of Security

His presence allows Martial Law to be in effect.
He has a chance of surviving nightkills.
If Martial Law is in place: He can vigilante-kill one player each night.

Zack
04-30-2011, 17:41
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

None yet.

INTERESTED PARTIES

1. Askthepizzaguy
2. Diamondeye
3. Beefy187
4. B_Ray
5. Seon
6. Csargo
7. issaikhaan
8. Montmorency
9. Believer
10. Warman

Askthepizzaguy
04-30-2011, 22:22
Pizza Party
Political Spectrum: Chicken-wing

edit: Also, I'd like to play. Maybe I won't do as badly as I did in the Chamber of Secrets.

Diamondeye
05-01-2011, 01:00
In :bow:

Beefy187
05-01-2011, 01:49
In :curtain:

B-Wing
05-01-2011, 03:46
Oh snap, political intrigue! Put me in this! Would Libertarian correspond to the (Classic) Liberal Party?

Zack
05-01-2011, 03:57
That would work.

And ATPG, sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I meant I would like parties that correspond with the ones I listed.

Seon
05-04-2011, 04:49
I shall join as Social Democrat.

Csargo
05-04-2011, 05:42
Sounds interesting I'll play.

seireikhaan
05-04-2011, 22:23
I would be interested.

Askthepizzaguy
05-17-2011, 11:00
Zack, given a post you made on another site, may I ask if you still plan on hosting any of these games? I am updating the queue presently so I'd like to know your plans, if possible.

Zack
06-04-2011, 23:09
Zack, given a post you made on another site, may I ask if you still plan on hosting any of these games? I am updating the queue presently so I'd like to know your plans, if possible.

I won't be hosting these games, sorry everyone.

BUT, I might still play in games here.

Askthepizzaguy
06-05-2011, 05:09
I won't be hosting these games, sorry everyone.

BUT, I might still play in games here.

:heart:

I wuv you Zack. Don't let these games eat up your life. But sure, come play with us, perhaps one game at a time, sometimes. :bow:

Populus Romanus
06-05-2011, 06:46
delete.

Zack
07-12-2011, 17:09
Actually, I've had a change of heart. I will host this game sometime. A December slot would be nice.

EDIT: And now it appears as if this thread was started ridiculously early. Oh well.

Zack
08-02-2011, 19:54
Added the rules to Post #2.

Questions? Suggestions?

Montmorency
08-06-2011, 00:19
There will be a lot going on in this game. :dizzy2:

Believer
08-18-2011, 21:31
How can I refuse?

Pony parade is IN!

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
08-19-2011, 15:53
In for this!

Memnon
08-22-2011, 00:49
I'll play, first .Org mafia game!

johnhughthom
08-22-2011, 01:13
I'll play, first .Org mafia game!

This game won't be starting for a while yet Memnon, there should be a few small games starting soon and Capo IV, probably the best mafia game there is, will be starting in about three weeks so keep an eye out for those.

Capo IV in sign ups. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?137555-Preliminary-Sign-Up-for-Capo-di-Tutti-Capi-IV)

Memnon
08-22-2011, 06:06
This game won't be starting for a while yet Memnon, there should be a few small games starting soon and Capo IV, probably the best mafia game there is, will be starting in about three weeks so keep an eye out for those.

Capo IV in sign ups. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?137555-Preliminary-Sign-Up-for-Capo-di-Tutti-Capi-IV)
Thanks! I do need to train, haven't played the game since grade school.

Zack
08-26-2011, 22:22
I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for this game, and in general I'm not really feeling it, for now at least.

My large game in December will be something else. My apologies to everyone; although, I might still host this game in the future.