PDA

View Full Version : AI parthia

The_Blacksmith
05-09-2011, 12:40
How do i make the parthian AI advance? ive bribed, negotiated and given cities to them and they are still just not cutting to the meat of seleukia :(

Cute Wolf
05-09-2011, 12:50
if you want they took actions, play as AS yourself and they'll cut your eastern meat pretty quick.

or play as Either Saka or Baktria, and.... try to FD an alliance with AS, Pahlava will gladly cut their meat

The_Blacksmith
05-09-2011, 13:01
Im playing as the Wuomans.. (yes, im a monty nerd)

and ive played as AS and it was bactria who went all rex n the territories i left (ariana, pomptasia, assak)

Maeran
05-09-2011, 13:29
It's the under-performance of horse archers against spear infantry in auto-calc battles that prevents an AI Parthia from doing what you want it to do.

In my current (and near complete- 35BC) Roman campaign, I wanted to force the Seleukids to fight on two fronts. So I did it myself. Sent a diplomat east, bribed a small stack and took Margiana myself (at this point the Parthians were reduced to Marakanda and nothing else. I created a client king there to raise mercs and conquered Persia on Parthia's behalf from there. As I went I handed over territories to the Parthians.

Now in the mid 1st century BC, the fully grown Parthian empire has shown its gratitude by attacking my province of Syria. Some stacks are dangerous too (lots of cataphracts and armoured HAs).

athanaric
05-09-2011, 15:46
Funny. I always have the same issue with the Romans when playing as Parthia. Or Pontos. I believe it's a combination of two factors:
firstly, the RTW AI's inherent desire to expand northward (which is utterly absurd for all factions except Egypt and Carthage and maybe Pontos. I'd really like to know why CA programmed a Roman-centric game that way). This makes AI Parthia stay in the steppes and AI Rome try to conquer the Alps. Also, it boosts their southern competitors (AS or, in Rome's case, Carthage),
and secondly, those goddamned pikemen who'll win every autoresolve battle. Carthage has them, too, and the Carthaginian AI loves to spam them. Note: If you hate fighting battles by hand, just recruit a fullstack of Chaonion Agema and autoresolve everthing. Not even Satres will manage to overcome this.

TheLastDays
05-09-2011, 16:42
I'v stated it before, but I'll say it again: I hate Satres ;)

But on topic:
Actually in my recent Baktria and Romani games the parthian AI has done pretty well... in both games they cut their way through the AS down to Persepolis and then saw what they could do... in my Baktria game I'm not much further now so we'll see but sooner or later I'll have to kill them anyway... In my Romani game they took all the eastern AS belongings (Bactria was obliterated, surprisingly enough, by the AS and the Saka) - but now the Saka keep advancing and have taken most Pahlava territories... I'v never seen such a Saka AI expansion before...

Fluvius Camillus
05-09-2011, 16:58
I found them advance pretty decently when supported with an active ally.

https://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt22/Fluvius_Camillus/AAR33.jpg?t=1304956649

It's a sad thing they betrayed me a few turns later...

~Fluvius

fomalhaut
05-09-2011, 18:37
totalllllly off topic but Baktria is the coolest faction with the best looking bodyguard units.

also, yeah i've never seen ANY AI, especially not Parthia, eat up Seleukaia while on the eastern side of the map. Hai goes down sometimes

as Aedui they got most of their eastern territories... by baktria. Saka always goes west to Sarmatian territority. but yeah, the auto calc against horse archers destroys the game for parthia since they fight mostly arche

Titus Marcellus Scato
05-09-2011, 18:51
I've completely given up on long campaigns in EB 1.2. Now I only play short campaigns (the first 20 years are the most enjoyable for me, with any faction. Other than that, I make do with the historical battles, which are really good with the latest mod for them.

vollorix
05-09-2011, 20:32
I´ve seen Parthia rampaging AS many times ( as Pontus, Armenia, GSC, Macedonia, even Epirus ), mostly when i was beating the hell out of AS, first in Asia Minor, and then down to Seleucea and Babylon.
Right now i´ve increased the recruitment time for elite phalangitai from 1 to 3 turns, any other factional elite unit ( the onec they really love to spam due to very high armour + superb stats etc. ) take 2 turn to recruit. That helped a lot - no elite stacks any more, as far as i could see. Instead they rely on Pandotapoi/Machimoi and Kleruchoi phalangitai, which is quite acceptable, imo. One can see the lack of elites especially once AI faction is under pressure - it needs men power, the super quality of elites doesn´t mean that much then.
OT: I gave Baktria a try for the first time, and i must say it´s very well balanced for a player ( even an agressive one like me, though no powergaming intended ). By the year 260 i´ve solidly expanded to the surrounding rebell settlements, and took a couple from AS, but Bactrian economy doesn´t really allows you to stretch too far, nor to fast, since there are 2 dangerous factions lingering around - Parthia + Saka ( and, btw, i broke all my alliances with Parthia, Hay, and Pontos, since i didn´t join them in their "crusade" against AS, and held firm to my GSC allies, like AI allways seems to do ). I thought, it´d be boring if "we" all steamroll the poor AS ( playing H/M ).

moonburn
05-11-2011, 03:28
kyprus krete or one of the 3 regions in sicily should be the roman "homeprovince" that would make the game more realistic imho

and ofc bring to the mediterranean the problematic of the cilician pirates that rome had to deal with in atleast 2 times (cesar 1st great victory was against the balearic pirates that where attacking in the thyrranean sea and then pompey great victories against the cilicians)

TheLastDays
05-11-2011, 21:17
kyprus krete or one of the 3 regions in sicily should be the roman "homeprovince" that would make the game more realistic imho

and ofc bring to the mediterranean the problematic of the cilician pirates that rome had to deal with in atleast 2 times (cesar 1st great victory was against the balearic pirates that where attacking in the thyrranean sea and then pompey great victories against the cilicians)

I don't see any conncection to the thread...
Thinking about it you could mean that by making one of the provinces you suggested a Romani homeland it would force them to expand there but that's wrong. It's just that the AI wants to go north all the time. Taras and the Bruttian town which's name due to some stupid brain-disfunction eludes me at the moment Rhegion are both Romani homelands, still the AI neglects them, almost never taking them while expanding into Gaul and Germania

NikosMaximilian
05-12-2011, 01:16
I don't see any conncection to the thread...
Thinking about it you could mean that by making one of the provinces you suggested a Romani homeland it would force them to expand there but that's wrong. It's just that the AI wants to go north all the time. Taras and the Bruttian town which's name due to some stupid brain-disfunction eludes me at the moment Rhegion are both Romani homelands, still the AI neglects them, almost never taking them while expanding into Gaul and Germania

I think what he meant was: making one of those regions the vanilla Latium would lure the AI strategy into those islands instead of watching the Romans go for Germania or the Makedons for the Baltic. I believe currently the vanilla Latium province is Sapmi (correct me if I'm wrong).

moonburn
05-12-2011, 04:10
it´s gotland actually the baltic island :\ thats why you have so many gigantic pirate stacks in the baltic

Ludens
05-12-2011, 09:58
it´s gotland actually the baltic island :\ thats why you have so many gigantic pirate stacks in the baltic

Yes, that's a theory. But I don't know if it's even been tested.

moonburn
05-12-2011, 17:29
well i heard it enough times to believe it :\ but we need the person for making the map and atributing the provinces to confirm it

Cute Wolf
05-12-2011, 18:40
it's the vanilla Latium RGB value, it makes the province in question are very2... interesting for AI