PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Persepolis as the Baktrians?

Tarkus
07-18-2011, 21:43
Hi everyone,

Sorry I don't have a screenie to accompany this message...I don't have fraps and can't conver the TGA screenie I created.

I'm at 249BC in a Baktrian campaign (H/M). I have forged alliances with the Saka, Pahlavans, and the Ptolemaics -- and I'm at war with the Seleukids. Instead of trying to appease them, I've decided to take the fight to them. I've taken control of their entire eastern frontier south of Baktria: Alexandreia-Ariana, Prophthasia, and Karmana, in addition to Antiocheia-Margiane west of Baktria. I've left the Seleukid territories north of Baktria alone for now as they pose no real threat to me. The Seleukids and Pahlavans have been involved in an epic struggle in the valley west of Asaak, which has really weakened the Seleukid military in the east.

After taking Karmana, I took a spy down to Persepolis and saw, to my amazement, the faction heir alone in the city. I couldn't pass up this opportunity, so I raced down and took the town -- killing the faction heir in the process. I laid waste to the town, selling most of the inhabitants into slavery, and gained thousands of mnai in the process, but I have occupied it. But now I have a dilemma that requires your expertise and experience...

What should I do with Persepolis???
My two issues are (1) historical role-playing and (2) gameplay. From the role-playing perspective, what would the Baktrians have done with Persepolis in 259BC, after taking it from the Seleukids? Would they sack it as Alexander did seventy years earlier, or would they see the city as a manifestation of his legacy and occupy it? And from the gameplay perspective...my military is pretty weak, and I'm afraid that my occupation of Persepolis will only serve to anger the Seleukids and prompt them to take revenge. They're still the most powerful faction in the game, so I don't want to wake the Sleeping Giant in the east.

What would you do? Thanks for your help!

Morte66
07-19-2011, 00:24
It's a pretty safe bet that the sleeping giant (also known as "the mentally damaged mastodons") will wake anyhow, so I wouldn't hold out that much hope for peace. It'll be easier on H/M than VH/M, but the greys do not forget.

d'Arthez
07-19-2011, 01:59
In my experience with Baktria, as long as the Seleucids are fighting with the Ptollies, you are pretty safe in Persepolis. Once you proceed further westward, however ...

Keep Persepolis and develop it. Because of its location, it is relatively straightforward to defend, since you can see enemies coming a few turns ahead if you construct a few watch towers. That way, places like Karmana in particular, which is vulnerable due to low population (hence limited retraining options), can develop a lot quicker in peace.

Titus Marcellus Scato
07-19-2011, 03:26
What should I do with Persepolis???
My two issues are (1) historical role-playing and (2) gameplay. From the role-playing perspective, what would the Baktrians have done with Persepolis in 259BC, after taking it from the Seleukids? Would they sack it as Alexander did seventy years earlier, or would they see the city as a manifestation of his legacy and occupy it? And from the gameplay perspective...my military is pretty weak, and I'm afraid that my occupation of Persepolis will only serve to anger the Seleukids and prompt them to take revenge. They're still the most powerful faction in the game, so I don't want to wake the Sleeping Giant in the east.

What would you do? Thanks for your help!

Depends what you want to do at this point in the campaign. Do you want to be fighting the Seleucids? Or would you prefer peace so you can have time to expand into India?

If you want to fight the Seleucids, keep Persepolis. It's a rich city with good recruitment options.

If you want peace with the Seleucids: Keep Persepolis for the moment, and take Gabai and Hekatompylos as well. Then destroy all buildings (except wonders, it's barbaric to destroy wonders) in the three cities and give them all to Pahlava! This will mean Baktria doesn't have a border with Seleukia anymore, making it a lot easier to make peace with them as they won't see you as so much of a threat if you're not a neighbour. Plus it will give Pahlava a nice boost, making them stronger and more able to keep the Seleucids occupied while you go on your Indian expedition. Once India is yours, you will be rich enough to cope with any future threat.

On the roleplaying aspect - the Baktrians are Greeks, not Macedonians. So they aren't as wedded to the legacy of Megas Alexandros as the Seleucids are. After all, Alexander left his Greek allies in Baktria because he didn't trust them. The Baktrians would be quite happy to either sack or occupy cities, whichever is most convenient.

Kival
07-19-2011, 03:53
On the roleplaying aspect - the Baktrians are Greeks, not Macedonians. So they aren't as wedded to the legacy of Megas Alexandros as the Seleucids are. After all, Alexander left his Greek allies in Baktria because he didn't trust them. The Baktrians would be quite happy to either sack or occupy cities, whichever is most convenient.

I'd not agree. At least the faction description implies that the Baktrians were heavily influenced by an Alexandrian ideology.

Tarkus
07-19-2011, 16:37
At least the faction description implies that the Baktrians were heavily influenced by an Alexandrian ideology.

I understand and take your point, Titus, about the Baktrians having a Greek ancestry. But as Kival says here, there is a significant reference to Alexander in the Baktrian faction description that I've been thinking about in this campaign. I guess I need to get myself a copy of Thundering Zeus and get to the bottom of this!

I like your suggestions about developing a buffer of Pahlavan territories, allowing me to turn my attention to the East. I may also be able to take or even buy Marakanda and Alexandreia-Eschate much more easily from Seleukia, now that they're really isolated from the rest of their empire. Now if I can just make sure Pahlava plays nicely with me and doesn't cause any trouble...

Any other suggestions?

SD1987
07-19-2011, 18:28
The Bactrians probably wouldn't have enslaved most of their population to begin with.
There are some cities I just never enslave/exterminate- Persepolis and Babylon are two of them.

Lazy O
07-19-2011, 19:31
Id say just exterminate the steppe factions though that will be hard to do now since your quite far into your game. They will backstab you eventually.

Tyrfingr
07-19-2011, 21:17
I moved my capital to Persepolis as my bactrian empire started to expend westwards. After some conquering from the seleukids, Babylon was made capital and Persepolis was left in the hands of a family member of persian origin.

moonburn
07-19-2011, 21:52
giving 3 regions to the phalava can constitute a sign of weakness that will prompt them to attack you so i would say develop it as best as you can and prepare a proper army to invade india once you´ve taken and developed india you will have enoigh mnai to deal with all of your enemies in time

Tarkus
07-19-2011, 23:48
giving 3 regions to the phalava can constitute a sign of weakness that will prompt them to attack you so i would say develop it as best as you can and prepare a proper army to invade india once you´ve taken and developed india you will have enoigh mnai to deal with all of your enemies in time

Hmmm...I see your point. I'm now regretting that I enslaved the population of Persepolis -- probably not the best role-playing move, but I really needed the income!
Now that I have some mnai in the bank, I think I'm going to lay low for awhile, while building up my economy and an army to invade India. Creating a buffer of Pahlavan territories between me and the Seleukids just sounds too dangerous for now...I'm thinking about taking my chances with a broad territorial front with the Seleukid Empire, hoping that their struggle with the Pahlavans, Ptolemaics and Pontics will keep them looking to the west...

Lazy O
07-20-2011, 06:47
No they will not, remember, Hard difficulty, everyone who borders you WILL attack you. the Seleikids actually sent every last bit of their fighting armies to attack me and consequently lost out to Egypt.

Tarkus
07-20-2011, 17:21
No they will not, remember, Hard difficulty, everyone who borders you WILL attack you. the Seleikids actually sent every last bit of their fighting armies to attack me and consequently lost out to Egypt.

I'm staying in Persepolis...come and get me, Seleukids!!!
Thanks to all for your advice...wish me luck...I'll give you an update whent the time is right.

Crassus Creed
07-21-2011, 00:56
If I were you I would expand to take Susa, Ekbatana, and Phraaspa. The Zagros mountains make a very good border for your empire and the cities are wealthy enough and close enough to Perseopolis to make the expansion worhtwhile imo. You also get an excellent strategic point to launch raids against Sleukia and Babylon 2 of the stronger military and economic areas for the empire. If you wipe out their high level barracks I find that the ai never really recovers their MICs and starts to send lightly armoured units that are easily wiped out by archers and horse archers. Soon enough you will be at war with your Nomadic neighbours so trying to maintain the status quo in the east never seems worth it from what I have seen. From a role playing perspective If you have already taken Perseopolis you may as well try to establish a hegemony over the main Persian cities and take it to the Seleukids. What would Alexandros do? :)

Tarkus
07-21-2011, 01:33
If I were you I would expand to take Susa, Ekbatana, and Phraaspa. The Zagros mountains make a very good border for your empire and the cities are wealthy enough and close enough to Perseopolis to make the expansion worhtwhile imo. You also get an excellent strategic point to launch raids against Sleukia and Babylon 2 of the stronger military and economic areas for the empire. If you wipe out their high level barracks I find that the ai never really recovers their MICs and starts to send lightly armoured units that are easily wiped out by archers and horse archers. Soon enough you will be at war with your Nomadic neighbours so trying to maintain the status quo in the east never seems worth it from what I have seen. From a role playing perspective If you have already taken Perseopolis you may as well try to establish a hegemony over the main Persian cities and take it to the Seleukids. What would Alexandros do? :)

Hmmm...another interesting idea. I love the thought of being able to (at least partially) sack Seleukia and Bablyon, eliminating their MIC. Yet another option for my next War Room consultations...my thanks.