PDA

View Full Version : This has to be the easiest game in History to modify.

Madden
08-03-2011, 03:50
I have always love to play around with the settings / figures / values. 99% of gamers can easily change a txt file.

Also it is sooo easy to change / edit the images and textures.

I think this one factor alone contributes to the decade of loyalty seen through online forums and blogs.

When the creator tools are used, it's even easier. Almost like you can customize your own game within a quick hour or two before pull an all-nighter hitting turn after turn..until your eyes explode.

drone
08-03-2011, 05:20
I wouldn't say it's the easiest, but it is definitely easy to play around with. I never understood why CA went to the binary file route for the newer TW editions, the party line is speed but startup parsing doesn't take that much time.

Trapped in Samsara
08-03-2011, 14:16
I wouldn't say it's the easiest, but it is definitely easy to play around with. I never understood why CA went to the binary file route for the newer TW editions, the party line is speed but startup parsing doesn't take that much time.

Hi

Simple economics: by moving away from end-user editable text files CA/SEGA severely hampered the modding community. The latter are (well were) a threat to its ability to milk the TW franchise via 'downloadable content'.

Best regards
Victor

Sapere aude
Horace

drone
08-03-2011, 16:09
I'm sure control is the rationale for it, but I'm not sure the numbers play out the way they think in the long run. Modding by the community can fix broken games (leading to continuing sales) and maintain interest in the game for longer (leading to continuing sales). Imagine RTW without EB and such. ~:eek: DLC and expansion packs are still feasible with moddable games, especially if multiplayer is a focus.

But fortunately, MTW is easily moddable. So even an idiot like myself can remove peasants and ballistae, play unplayable factions, and tweak a few things to my liking. Now, if I could only get my hands on the .exe source... :thinking:

phantom
08-03-2011, 16:31
This is right on the money. Other games developers may have downloadable content and modding but the CAs stuff is actually in the game files already and your paying to unlock what you already have. This is why they have tried to stop modding completely because it allows the person that buys the game to unlock this stuff themselves without paying. Any excuses about 'moving to binary files' is just pure B/S, I cant believe people swallow that.

Hi

Simple economics: by moving away from end-user editable text files CA/SEGA severely hampered the modding community. The latter are (well were) a threat to its ability to milk the TW franchise via 'downloadable content'.

Best regards
Victor

Sapere aude
Horace

Stazi
08-03-2011, 17:01
Now, if I could only get my hands on the .exe source... :thinking:
It's my dream too. And maybe an unpacker/editor for 3D animated units like ballistas, mangonels or collapsing walls, etc. I've read somewhere that first MTW was planned to be in full 3D but CA didn't have enough time (or maybe 3D engine wasn't fully developed) and they decided to use old shogun sprites for soldiers. So, I think if we have the source code we could be able to make all units in 3D not only siege engines. Full 3D battles with good, old AI and 2D strat map...yesss, beautiful dream :cool:.

chris34au
08-05-2011, 21:44
does anyone know if it would be pretty easy to put the Teutonic Order in the early era? i know that there isn't any room to add another faction but i was hoping that i might be able to switch them out with the Lithuanians or something like that.

drone
08-05-2011, 22:11
There is room with the vanilla version, you can have 32 factions (31 + rebels).

chris34au
08-15-2011, 23:38
thanks. i was hoping that there might be a way to do it with a modded version(to have more factions in the game) but vanilla is better than nothing.

Brandy Blue
08-16-2011, 02:56
does anyone know if it would be pretty easy to put the Teutonic Order in the early era? i know that there isn't any room to add another faction but i was hoping that i might be able to switch them out with the Lithuanians or something like that.

The XL mod already has it if you want to download that. I don't know if the Tyberius patch version has it or not. You will need Viking Era installed or an edition which comes with Viking Era if you want to use the XL mod.